Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiling Proud Wanderer Chapter 29 onwards

hahaha actually i think this story is very entertaining. how is tian bo guang going to get out of this??

This is more interesting in some respects. Fights are great and all but intrigue is often better.

No Commandment is one of the weirder characters in this novel, I'd trade any scene involving the 6 peach fairies for a scene with No Commandment.

Linghu Chong couldn't help smiling. Tian Boguang went on, "Grand Martial Master lifted me in mid air with his left hand while his right hand gave me seventeen to eighteen whacks on the ear and I fainted. Then he soaked me in a small brook. When I woke up, he said: 'I'm giving you one month to go and invite Linghu Chong to go up Heng-Shan to see my daughter. Even if he couldn't take her as his wife for now, they can still talk and that'll be good enough. My daughter's life would be protected then. Your master has a problem but how come you didn't come and help as her disciple?' He then poked some of my acupoints and told me that they're the death acupoints. Then he forced me to take some poison saying that if I managed to invite you to come and see the little Shi Tai within the one month period, he would give me the medicine. Otherwise, the poison would come out and no medicine would be able to save me."

Linghu Chong had at last understood. That day when Tian Boguang came up to Huashan to invite him to come down the mountain, he kept everything a secret and didn’t want to say anything clearly. Linghu Chong didn’t expect that he would actually tell him everything at this time. Tian Boguang continued, “I went up Huashan to invite you, but I was defeated and I knew that it would be hard to keep my life further. To my surprise, Grand Martial Master was feeling uneasy so he personally took the little Shi Tai to come up to Huashan to look for you. Then he gave me the antidote, and afterwards I also listened to your advice not to rape and do those lecherous things anymore. But Tian Boguang’s nature is lascivious and there are lots of women around. So whenever I have some money, I went to look for some prostitutes which is not a difficult thing to do. Half a month ago, Grand Martial Master found me again. He said that you were going to become Heng-Shan School’s headmaster, but other people are ridiculing you behind your back and your reputation in Jianghu is being ruined. He loves everything, loves his daughter and son-in-law…”

Linghu Chong scowled and interrupted, “Brother Tian, you must never speak of this nonsense ever again.”

Tian Boguang replied, “Yes, yes. I was just repeating what Grand Martial Master said. He said that he wanted to join Heng-Shan School and told me to follow his plan. The first step was to accept me as a disciple on behalf of his daughter. I didn’t consent to this so he beat me up. I’m not his match and I also couldn’t run away so I was forced to pay my respect to Master.” He said till here when he frowned and his expression turned dark.

Linghu Chong said, “You only have to pay your respect to your master. It doesn’t mean that you have to become a monk as well. Doesn’t Shaolin School have a lot of secular disciples?”

Tian Boguang shook his head and answered, “Grand Martial Master had another idea. He said: ‘You’re such a lecherous person. Once you’ve entered Heng-Shan School, your martial uncles will all be beautiful nuns, so that’s going to be very inappropriate. The best plan would be to cut out the source of trouble first.’ He then knocked me down, pulled my pants down, grabbed his knife and gave me a chop. He cut half of my thing.”

Linghu Chong uttered an ‘ah’ as he was startled by this, and shook his head. Even though he felt that this was very cruel, he also thought that Tian Boguang had harmed too many women of good families, so it was a deserved retribution. Tian Boguang was also shaking his head before he continued, “I fainted immediately. When I woke up, Grand Martial Master had applied some medicine on me and had also wrapped up my injury. He told me to rest for a few days to recover from my injury. Then he forced me to shave my head and become a monk. He gave me a Buddhist name called ‘Cannot Have No Commandment’. He said: ‘Since I already chopped your thing, you can’t rape anymore. So, of course there’s no need for you to become a monk. But I made you become a monk and gave you the Buddhist name ‘Cannot Have No Commandment’ so that everyone will know. That way, Heng-Shan School’s reputation will also be preserved. Ordinarily, it’s inappropriate for people who have become a monk to mix up with nuns. But since your name is ‘Cannot Have No Commandment’, then it doesn’t matter.’”

Linghu Chong smiled and said, “Your Grand Martial Master is very thoughtful.”

Tian Boguang replied, “Grand Martial Master wanted me to tell you about all these. He also wants me to ask you not to blame my master.”

Confused, Linghu Chong asked, “Why would I want to blame your master? She doesn’t know anything about this matter.”

Tian Boguang answered, “Grand Martial Master said: Every time he saw my master, he noticed how she became a little bit thinner and her complexion a little worse. When he asked her about it, she always sheds a tear and never says anything. Grand Martial Master said: It must be you who’s bullying her.”

Linghu Chong was alarmed. “I didn’t! I never talk to your master in an angry manner. Also, she’s always so good, why would I scold her?”

Tian Boguang said, “You never scolded her, that’s why she cried.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Grand Martial Master beat me up when I asked about this too.”

Linghu Chong scratched his head thinking that Great Master No Commandment’s entangled way of speaking was just like that of the Peach Valley Six Fairies.

Tian Boguang said, “Grand Martial Master said: after he got married to Grand Martial Mother, they quarrelled all the time, and the fiercer the scolding was, the more love there was. You’re not scolding my master so it means that you’re not taking my master to be your wife.”

“This… your master is a Buddhist nun, so I’ve never thought of this matter.”

“I also said that. Grand Martial Master got angry and beat me up for a time. He said: my Grand Martial Mother was originally a nun and when he wanted to marry her, he became a monk. If Buddhist nuns or monks couldn’t get married, how can there be my master in this world? If my master isn’t in this world, how can there be me?”

Linghu Chong couldn’t help thinking that this was funny. He thought Tian Boguang was much older compared to Little Martial Sister Yilin; how could he mention those two things together? Tian Boguang went on, “Grand Martial Master also said: if you didn’t think of marrying my master, then what are you doing becoming Heng-Shan School’s headmaster? He said: there are a lot of nuns in Heng-Shan School but not one can be compared to my master’s beauty. If you didn’t do it for my master, then for which nun are you doing it for?”

Linghu Chong was secretly feeling miserable and couldn’t take this anymore, he thought, “Great Master No Commandment became a monk so that he could marry a nun. He now thinks that everyone in the world thinks the same way as him. If these words got out, how could it not cause a lot of problem?”

Tian Boguang smiled bitterly. “Grand Martial Master asked me whether my master is the most beautiful woman in the whole world. I answered: ‘She’s not the most beautiful, but she’s very beautiful.’ He got angry and punched me causing two of my teeth to fall off. Then he said: ‘How come she’s not the most beautiful? If she weren’t beautiful, then why did you have rude intentions towards her on that day? And why did that little kid Linghu Chong risked his life to save her?’ I quickly said: ‘Most beautiful, most beautiful. How could Grand Martial Master’s daughter not be the most beautiful woman in the world?’ When he heard these words, he became happy and praised my brilliant vision.”

Linghu Chong smiled. “Little martial sister Yilin is of course beautiful, it’s no wonder that great Master No Commandment is proud of her.”

Tian Boguang happily said, “You agree that my master is beautiful; that’s very good then.”

Linghu Chong oddly asked, “Why is that good?”

“Grand Martial Master gave me a task, he wants me to think of a way to call you… call you…”

“Call me what?” Linghu Chong asked.

Tian Boguang smiled. “Call you my master-husband.”

Linghu Chong was stupefied. “Brother Tian, Great Master No Commandment loves his daughter a lot. But you should already know that this matter is impossible to do.”

“That’s true. I said that’s really hard to do, I said that you once led a large group of people to attack Shaolin temple because of Divine Sect’s young lady Ren. I said: ‘Even though young lady Ren’s beauty isn’t above my master, Master Linghu was already predestined to be with her. He’s already infatuated with her and other people wouldn’t be able to interfere.’ Master Linghu, in front of Grand Martial Master, I had no choice but to say this in order to protect my remaining teeth so I have something to eat with, please don’t blame me.”

Linghu Chong smiled and said, “Of course I understand.”

“Grand Martial Master then said: He already knows about this and that it’s very easy to solve this problem because all that is required is to think of a way to kill young lady Ren without you knowing. I quickly said not to do that because if young lady Ren were killed, then Linghu Chong would definitely commit suicide. Grand Martial Master said: ‘What you said was right. If this little kid Linghu Chong died, then my daughter will be widowed, how can that be not a bad luck? How about this? You talk to this little kid Linghu Chong; tell him my daughter will marry him and make his second house. This will be alright.’ I said: ‘Grand Martial Master, how can you wrong your daughter like that?’ He sighed then said: ‘You don’t know. If my daughter couldn’t marry Linghu Chong, she would die sooner or later; she definitely won’t have a long life.’ As he said this, his tears flowed down. Ai, this is their father-daughter inborn nature revealing their true feelings, it couldn’t be fake.”

The two of them were looking at each other, both of them feeling pretty awkward. Tian Boguang then said, “Master Linghu, I’ve already said everything that Grand Martial Master wanted me to tell you. I know that some of these are hard to do, even taboo, especially since you’re the headmaster of Heng-Shan School. But I advise you to speak more to my master and let her be happy. You can deal with this later on.”

Linghu Chong nodded his head and said, “Alright.” In the last few days, every time he had seen Yilin, she seemed to be thinner and thinner. He now knew that it was because she was lovesick. Yilin loved him so deeply; how come he didn’t know? But she was a Buddhist nun and still very young, so he expected her feelings would lessen as days passed by and would finally be gone. After meeting her again at Xianxia mountain range, and from Fujian to Jiangxi, he was never alone with her to talk about anything. Ever since he had been on Heng-Shan, he avoided doing anything that might rouse suspicion. He didn’t care if other people slandered his own name, as his name is already not good, but he felt he must never spoil the clean reputation of the Heng-Shan School. Besides the time he was imparting the sword art to the Heng-Shan’s female disciples, he never chatted with anyone. Compared to the past days of clowning around, he was very different. As he listened to Tian Boguang speaking of the past, and about Yilin’s tender feelings towards him, feelings suddenly burst forth in his heart.

I hate Tian Boguang so much. Humph! .
    Such a punishment was honourable indeed for the crimes the evil rapist Tian Boguang had done.
    I guess there wouldn't be any concern about the matter of him to become a monk in a nunnery. .

As he listened to Tian Boguang speaking of the past, and about Yilin’s tender feelings towards him, feelings suddenly burst forth in his heart.

How many times has LHC's heart 'burst' since the story started? Seems like twice a chapter to me.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

LOL I was just about to post my comment that "Tian BoGuang is officially one of my most favorite characters in JY novels", and then I read RongYingMin's post =D

To me, he is easily one of the most memorable characters in JY 's novels. Having watched several XAJH adaptions, my favorite character has been the Tian BoGuang in the Richie Ren's version.

Back to the story.. I think Monk No Commandment was too harsh on him as he has already tried to repent. Although he was a rapist but he was true to his words and I can't help pitying his current situation. Even without that "preventive act", he would never touch any of Heng-Shan's nun I believe. He respects LHC too much to do such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by shini_chan
    To me, he is easily one of the most memorable characters in JY 's novels. Having watched several XAJH adaptions, my favorite character has been the Tian BoGuang in the Richie Ren's version.

Back to the story. I think Monk No Commandment was too harsh on him as he has already tried to repent. Although he was a rapist but he was true to his words and I can't help pitying his current situation. Even without that "preventive act", he would never touch any of Heng-Shan's nun I believe. He respects LHC too much to do such thing.
    yes, TBGuang is certainly one of the most memorables. but he is one of the most hatables as well (at least to me).
    wulin people can do anything: killing people, burning houses, and the like. but as for raping girls, it's unacceptable. even the evilest man in demon side wouldn't do this shameless deed.
    no matter how he was repentant, no matter how respecfully and honestly he treated LHC, the crimes he had done must be punished strictly. so i think No Commandment monk's judgement was not harsh at all.
    Last edited by RongYingMin; 10-06-06 at 02:40 AM.

It doesn't matter what he did, you just can't do THAT to a man. At least help him by killing him instead! LoL

"even the evilest man in demon side wouldn't do this shameless deed."

Sad as it may be, even in Real Life it isn't all that rare.

Its interesting to notice that most things we consider unacceptable in real life are easily forgiven in the novel. Linghu Chong is a good person. You'd expect someone like him to not have such a friendly attitude towards a guy like this. If a friend of yours went around raping women every other day, no matter how much of a nice guy he was it'd be hard to be so friendly with him. If for nothing else at least because you'd be running the risk that one of your lady friends would eventually end up being one of his victims.

But murder is likewise easily forgiven. It seems human life in general has very little value in this world. I guess its nothing to be too surprised about, but it is curious how Jin Yong doesn't pay any attention to Tian BoGuang's victims. If someone we were fond of were to be raped I bet we'd all start hating the fella. In the end, the reason why most(some?) people find Tian BoGuang amusing rather than hateful is because of how Jin Yong presents the events. I guess that in the perspective we're shown it is reprehensible, but tolerable.

I was shocked when he said his "virility" got chopped though. I never expected that to happen. And I think he's accepting it a bit too well. It happened about two weeks ago and he doesn't seem to be depressed.

Women suffer a bit too much in Jin Yong's novels. I feel sorry for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodflowers
    " If someone we were fond of were to be raped I bet we'd all start hating the fella. In the end, the reason why most(some?) people find Tian BoGuang amusing rather than hateful is because of how Jin Yong presents the events. I guess that in the perspective we're shown it is reprehensible, but tolerable.

If it as XLN, we'll never hear the end of it!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

@CC: I take it you mean "if it was XLN we'd never hear the end of it!".

And yeah, you're right. Great example, I didn't remember that one. I can't possibly imagine anyone liking that Yin ZhiPing guy. And that's about the only really bad thing the guy did throught the whole novel.

Heh so it's acceptable to burn people's houses, to kill the entire innocent family and all that (a la Yu ChangHai). But it's unacceptable to rape because this is something even the 'demon sect' wouldn't do.

Oh.. I pity Yin ZhiPing actually. And I forgave him long before he died. Tian BoGuang raped for fun but Yin ZhiPing did that out of his momentary weakness. Not that 'momentary weakness' is a legal reason, but I believe YZP deserved his second chance even if TBG did not.

"No human being, when you understand his desires, is worthless. No one's life is nothing. Even the most evil of men and women, if you understand their hearts, had some generous act that redeems them, at least a little, from their sins."

Ender Wiggins, "Speaker For the Dead", Orson Scott Card

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX
    "No human being, when you understand his desires, is worthless. No one's life is nothing. Even the most evil of men and women, if you understand their hearts, had some generous act that redeems them, at least a little, from their sins."

Ender Wiggins, "Speaker For the Dead", Orson Scott Card
    My sentiments exactly =)

Momentary weakness?! That's an excuse?! Hell, what do you think Tian BoGuang's problem is? He just has lots of those moments, instead of just one.

If men always caved in to such instincts, the world would be hell for women.

If men always caved in to such instincts the world would be hell in general.

Hm bloodflowers.. I thought I stated clearly that 'momentary weakness' was not an acceptable excuse? And that it applied to Yin ZhiPing and not Tian BoGuang? =)

I only tried to differentiate between the two. YZP regretted his deed throughout while TBG did not.

Anyway.. I rest my case here LOL. Peace =D
    Last edited by shini_chan; 10-07-06 at 03:47 PM.

He looked up towards the mountain peak where the white snow was accumulating as he pondered. Suddenly, he heard the clamouring sounds of people coming up the mountain path. The mountain summit had always been quiet and peaceful, and there was never people shouting or making noises. He was really astonished when he heard footsteps of several hundred people coming up the mountain. The first person called out, “Congratulations, Master Linghu. Today is your happy day.” This person was short and plump; he was Old Man. Behind him were Ji Wushi, Zu Qianqiu, Huang Boliu, Sima Big, Blue Phoenix, You Xun, the Bear Duo of the Northern Desert, and many other people who had unexpectedly come here.

Linghu Chong was surprised and happy at the same time. He quickly went forward to welcome them. “I received Dingxian Shi Tai’s last order so I must take the leadership of the Heng-Shan School, but I didn’t dare to alarm all the friends here. How come you’ve all come here?”

These people had once followed Linghu Chong in attacking Shaolin temple and had gone through life and death battles with him. So they had become friends through trials and tribulations. They came up the mountain one by one and circled him. Old Man said in a loud and clear voice, “Everyone heard that Master managed to get Sacred Lady out, and we all felt really happy. This matter of Master taking up the headmaster position of Heng-Shan School; it was already known in Jianghu for quite a long time. If we didn’t come up the mountain today to give our congratulations, then we deserve to die.” These heroes were upright and straightforward people, after talking for a short while, they were able to joke around.

Ever since he had taken residence on Heng-Shan, Linghu Chong had only been around a group of nuns and young ladies so he had to talk with the utmost restriction. Now, suddenly, as he found so many old friends around him, he was extremely happy. Huang Boliu said, "We're uninvited guests so Heng-Shan School certainly hasn't prepared any food or drink for us. So we brought food and wine up the mountain."

Linghu Chong happily said, "That's very good then." He thought, "This situation is starting to resemble that big assembly on top of the Five-Tyrant Ridge."

As they were talking, around a few hundred people had come up the mountain. Ji Wushi smiled and said, "Master, we're all people from the same family so there's no need to be polite. Your educated and cultured female disciples shouldn't come and greet crude people like us. So it's best if we just talk amongst ourselves."

Now he found the mountain peak very noisy and lively. Heng-Shan School certainly didn't expect that so many guests would suddenly turn up to congratulate them, so all of them became excited. There were some old disciples who were more experienced; they saw that the guests who had come to congratulate them were neither fish nor fowl. Even though there were a few well known heroes, they were all masters from the demonical path. Also, a lot of them were heroes and thieves from the dark path. Heng-Shan School's rules were strict and all the disciples guarded themselves strictly. Not only do they have a lot of contact with people from the orthodox path, they have not paid much attention to them. Unexpectedly, a large group of unorthodox people had come up to the peak today. But they saw their headmaster was holding and pulling on their hands, looking very close, and talking to them nicely.

At noon, several hundred men brought chicken, duck, cow, sheep, wine, and many other dishes to the top of the mountain. Linghu Chong thought, "The peak of the mountain is a sacred ground for the Goddess of Mercy Guanyin. I'm the Headmaster here, but if we were to eat fish and meat, kill pigs and slaughter sheep, we will be offending the ancestors of the Heng-Shan School. I would be sorry to let this happen." He immediately told these people to cook the dishes on the mountainside. However, the smell of the wine and meat drifted up to the mountaintop which caused many nuns to secretly scowl. After these heroes cooked their meals, they went to the front of the convent to sit inside the large open area there. Linghu Chong sat on the west side while the several hundred female disciples sat behind him according to their seniority. They were waiting until the lucky hour to initiate the “taking up the office” ceremony.

Suddenly, they heard the sounds of a group of people playing flutes coming nearer. Two old men with green gowns strode up the mountain. The group of heroes uttered "yi, ah" from everywhere and many people stood up. The old man on the left, with a yellow complexion, cried out in a clear voice, "Divine Sun Moon Sect's Chief Dongfang’s delegates Jia Bu and Shangguan Yun come to congratulate Hero Linghu's honour in becoming Heng-Shan School's headmaster. We wish Heng-Shan School to be prosperous and Headmaster Linghu to be prestigious in Wulin."

thanks again pokit and hhuang

it seems everybody would like to be on good terms with LHC hmmm....

something smell fishy or they're all just want to recruit him

well, can't wait for the batch

thanks again guys and gals...