Thread: YG's Divine Bird: Proof it's not an eagle.

Default YG's Divine Bird: Proof it's not an eagle.

Long have I debated wether this Divine Bird is an eagle or a condor. Few people here have convince me that it was an eagle, certainly Gwok Jing's pair of birds were in fact eagles but nevertheless I still remain skeptical about YG's bird. But I cast aside my doubts and conceited it was an eagle, mainly because I also like it to be an eagle as well. But after rereading the novel again, coming across that very passage that describe the Divine Bird, I don't see how it could be an eagle. I compare the description giving by JY with different species of birds and in fact the condor would fit it perfectly. Read the excerpt of the description from the novel below and draw your conclusion from it.

Here is the passage: (note: term bird was added to allow ambiguity)

Right in front of Yang Guo’s eyes stood a giant bird. Taller than a human, yet uglier even than one’s wildest imagination. Sparse feathers covered the bird’s entire body as if most of its feathers had been pulled off by somebody. The feathers were of a darkish yellow color, which made the bird appear dirty. It did look somewhat similar to the two eagles on Peach-Blossom Island, but its ugliness made the difference as vast as from heaven to earth. The giant bird had a hooked beak, and the big lump of skin, as red as blood, occupied the top of its head. There were probably thousands of bird species in the world, but Yang Guo had never seen any bird of prey as imposing and grand as this one. The bird strode about in big steps with its two extremely thick legs. Sometimes it would extend its two short wings, so short that one would wonder if the bird was capable of flying. But the way it walked, with its head held high, certainly showed great power and grandeur.

Notice the bolded description of this bird. It was ugly and had no feathers on the top of his head but red batches of skin, indication it was in fact a type of vulture. Even the passage was implying it was not the same species as the eagles of GJ, but a totally different type of bird.

So what type of vulture is it? So I did some research on vultures in asia, and come across they do exist there but these species of vultures known as Old World vultures aren't as ugly as the one describe. Here is a picture of Asia vulture:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Nubianvulture.jpeg')

Now look at the condor. It's so ugly!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/07/Condorchick.jpg')

But still condor doesn't live in Asia, but the Divine Condor is no ordinary condor, he could have travel there.

So with that, I conclude, the Divine Bird is definitely not an eagle but either a vulture or a condor. Imo, a condor is more fitting base on the description.

It's based on an extinct bird.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

a half-blood bird of vulture and condor?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    It's based on an extinct bird.
    You happen to know the name of this bird?

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    a half-blood bird of vulture and condor?
    Don't forget you haven't answer my question :P

Aepyornis Maximus or Elephant Bird of Madagascar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aepyornis
    http://www.digimorph.org/specimens/Aepyornis_maximus/

Might also be a Haast's Eagle from New Zealand.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

The bird is actually Dugu Qiu Bai himself.

After reaching the no sword stage and making the sword tomb, the metorite material used to make the Xuan Tie Jian which had a short half-life (so it was inert by the time YG found it) had emitted enough radiation to mutate the man into a bird (look, these things happen in Marvel/DC comics all the time!).

This is a good explanation why that bird was a one of a kind and was smart enough to train YG.

My next book : Da Niao Dugu Qiu Bai.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC

After reaching the no sword stage and making the sword tomb, the metorite material used to make the Xuan Tie Jian which had a short half-life (so it was inert by the time YG found it) had emitted enough radiation to mutate the man into a bird (look, these things happen in Marvel/DC comics all the time!).

This is a good explanation why that bird was a one of a kind and was smart enough to train YG.

I prefer the explanation in my signature. It solves the riddle of both Dugu and Sweeper... sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    Don't forget you haven't answer my question
    Sorry, I don't wanna pour the secret out myself yet. . Wait please...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    I prefer the explanation in my signature. It solves the riddle of both Dugu and Sweeper... sort of.
    SM lived in Northern Song Dynasty, if he was Dugu Qiubai, how come he could teach Feng Qingyang, who lived in the middle of Ming Dynasty, his Dugu 9jian?

Quote Originally Posted by CC

hahaha No, DGQB didn't mutate to a bird, he simply found an abandon bird costume the local theatre company toss in the trash, hence why it was so dirty and damaged looking. All this time, Brother Condor was Dugu in a bird suit.

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    Sorry, I don't wanna pour the secret out myself yet. . Wait please...
    If I wait any longer my hair will be completely white. It's ok, I don't want to know anymore.