Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Departed (Remake of Infernal Affairs)

Default The Departed (Remake of Infernal Affairs)

This movie is based on the Hong Kong blockbuster Infernal Affairs. The director is Martin Scorscese, and it stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, and Alec Baldwin.

I'm really looking forward to this movie. I mean it's got an all-star cast, it has been getting rave reviews, and Martin definitely knows his gangster flicks!

Who is Leonardo DiCaprio starring as? Andy Lau's character?

Anyways, looking forward to how the west do in this movie.

Hmm and wasn't Infernal Affairs (though it is a good movie) influenced by some US and European movies.

No Leonardo DiCaprio is Tony Leung's character, and Matt Damon plays Andy Lau's character.

Question just wondering

would a mob whether from hk or anywhere else actually go to so much trouble to actually plant such a mole in the police force in reality?

isn't it better and faster to just bribe or blackmail several members of the law enforcement if the mob is so powerful?

anyway I dun think this remake would beat the original except in the violence and gore factor
    Last edited by shen long; 10-06-06 at 03:19 AM.
    石破天道:“是啊,这招是阿绣教我的,她说人家打不过你,你要处处手下留情,得饶人处且饶人,这一招叫‘旁 敲侧击’,既让了对方,又不致为对方所伤。”他毫无机心,滔滔说来。天虚脸上登时红一阵,白一阵,羞愧得无 地自容。

Quote Originally Posted by shen long
    anyway I dun think this remake would beat the original except in the violence and gore factor
    Me, it's the contrary. I expect the remake to be superior to the original. The original wasn't that good, so surpassing it is very possible and with such big and quality names attached to the remake it is likely that it will turn out better.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    Me, it's the contrary. I expect the remake to be superior to the original. The original wasn't that good, so surpassing it is very possible and with such big and quality names attached to the remake it is likely that it will turn out better.
    well its already out,maybe u can comment on it after u have seen it. Anyway I seriously doubt its better than the original and btw theres a lot of examples of original version of movies that are better than the remakes.
    Last edited by shen long; 10-10-06 at 08:57 AM.
    石破天道:“是啊,这招是阿绣教我的,她说人家打不过你,你要处处手下留情,得饶人处且饶人,这一招叫‘旁 敲侧击’,既让了对方,又不致为对方所伤。”他毫无机心,滔滔说来。天虚脸上登时红一阵,白一阵,羞愧得无 地自容。

I am willing to give it a chance. I mean, Martin Scorsese is directing.. not some B rated director.

Also, funny how Sammi character and Kelly Chan's are incorporated into one.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Heard reviews from a couple of people who had the chance to watch the both version. they said that the american version is much better than the original. but i'll have to see for myself. the american do have some really good actor. andy lau or any of the asian actor cant compare to these actors.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

This movie is already in the Top 100 of the IMDB movie list - #77

Rotten Tomatoes rating: 92% fresh from 146 positive reviews vs 12 negative reviews (from a clueless wannabe critic)
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 10-11-06 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shen long
    btw theres a lot of examples of original version of movies that are better than the remakes.
    Most of the time, the originals are better but there are always exceptions.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

people say 'the departed' is better than the original. i have to see myself. well, american actors are better than asian actors. everything they do just looks natural. asian actors seem to be force and never act natural. well, there arent great asian directors in the first place to see all those flaws. cant really blame the asian actors.

Saw it this weekend. Although I haven't seen the original, but I must say The Departed was great movie. Really entertaining and fast-paced, and there was also a lot of comedy incorporated into it. Everyone gave top-notch performances. The only complaint I had was that everybody in the movie probably said the F-word in every other sentence. Not necessary I think.

Senior Member superkaratemonkey's Avatar

aside from mark wahlberg's character, which i found freakin hilarious, i like everything from the original better. overall the remake is too long, too much "down time" where nothing really happens, too much death in the end then neccessary.

I've seen HK's Internal Affairs 1, 2, and 3 (the third one sucked) and I just heard from my roommate today how the Departed was like. He's caucasion and loved the movie. He didn't know that this movie's storyline was taken from a HK movie till I told him. Anyway, he and I were comparing the differences in the HK movies and the Departed. There is one huge difference in this movie from the HK movie at the end. However, I will not say it cause it's a spoiler if I do.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    I've seen HK's Internal Affairs 1, 2, and 3 (the third one sucked).
    according to statistics found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs_II and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs_III, three was better than two. I think the third has to be watched twice to fully understand what its talking about.

Sorry to those who love this film... but I really feel this movie sucks to the core...

The dialogs were annoying... keep hearing swearing
    Some scenes were really stupid, meaningless and childish
    The actings were not really good
    The plot seems to be inferior than the original's; they seems to can't bring up the plot as good as the original's
    Character's personalities aren't bring in good enough.

Loophole? There's no need for Leonardo to be panic that his data had been deleted, the ex-superior of his can prove his identity. So why must he arrest Matt Damon himself? The original version doesn't has this loophole as Leonardo's role only has a superior that knows his identity.
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

Both movies had their good and bad.

We have to remember that the Departed had to incorporate about 3 movies into a 2 hr movie.

On the contrary I think that the Departed had really great actors/ I personally like Jack's portrayal then Sam's. I think Jack brought an over the top performance with the evil/.twisted smile personality. Sam , to me, look moe funny as a crime boss.

I like Anthony's acting better. Martin Sheen's role was less significant.

Leonardo did a good job on his part. I personally think that this movie focus a bit more emotions and character devleopment. I mean, you see more scenes of Yan's character being in emotional turmoin, i.e taking medications, crying, reminiscing his pasts.

Loophole? There's no need for Leonardo to be panic that his data had been deleted, the ex-superior of his can prove his identity. So why must he arrest Matt Damon himself? The original version doesn't has this loophole as Leonardo's role only has a superior that knows his identity.
    I beg to differ. In reality, what would you believe? Word of mouth? or Written/concrete documents? THe ex-superior himself was taking leave, he already had a bad mark in the department.
    If you were a superior, would you believe your men's words? or some random thug who claims that he was an actual undercover with no concrete proof?
    Last edited by Sugar; 10-21-06 at 05:52 PM.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    I beg to differ. In reality, what would you believe? Word of mouth? or Written/concrete documents? THe ex-superior himself was taking leave, he already had a bad mark in the department.
    If you were a superior, would you believe your men's words? or some random thug who claims that he was an actual undercover with no concrete proof?
    In real life, when somebody kill someone, stole some money, rape a girl, by any chance anyone saw that somebody doing it, the anyone who saw it will be consider a witness and will provide evidence by "Word of mouth"(I'm not very sure what does this mean ) and it will be quite enough to sentence that somebody. Moreover, he has the tapes!!! To gain back his own identity and arrest Matt were 2 different matters, isn't it silly for some "Thug"(Leonardo himself) to call police to come to see a "Thug"(Leonardo) pointing a gun to a high ranking police officer? Besides, when a file was deleted in a database, it CAN be recover as long as there's an IT pro. If u can't trust such a high ranking officer who doesn't has a bad record though he has bad mark, whom can u trust? btw the ex-superior didn't take leave, he quit.
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

saw this movie when it first came out but never got to posting here.
    i thought this was a really good movie. From someone that saw the entire AI serie i think the depart was not even close to be as good as all three. but just AI II vs Depart i would say its even. In AI you get more character developments. i would say 50% of the screen in depart is copy str8 out of AI, just in different angle and script.
    But ppl shouldnt say this film is bad just because you saw the orignal because you already have a biased idea going into the movie. I think the depart is better than AI when show in America and AI better than depart in China just because people can relate thier difference in culture in thier own country. I am sure if AI were to be shown in American threathers, which they did in NY, wouldnt do as good. The Americans dont care about the HK gangsters or thier police systems.
    Last edited by Crazy8; 10-22-06 at 02:16 AM.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]