Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Departed (Remake of Infernal Affairs)

I never found appeal in American crimes for some reason....they're not as appealing to think about as theatrical pieces. The main themes I think about when (North) American come to mind are cursing, racism, crude violence, and really sick, perverted people. That's probably very stereotypical, but hey, I get fed all this from the media.

When I think about organized crime in other cultures, i.e.Chinese, Indian, Italian (Godfather anyone? =P) , it seems more mysterious and interesting. That's why I cringed at the idea of the remake....but I might see it sometime later.

I don't know why everyone hated the second Infernal Affairs--it was my favourite, despite my hatred for Edison Chen lol, but he didn't show up THAT much...

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses
    I don't know why everyone hated the second Infernal Affairs--it was my favourite, despite my hatred for Edison Chen lol, but he didn't show up THAT much...
    i hate it too, because 2 greenhorns replaced Tony and Andy...
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

I never found appeal in American crimes for some reason....they're not as appealing to think about as theatrical pieces. The main themes I think about when (North) American come to mind are cursing, racism, crude violence, and really sick, perverted people. That's probably very stereotypical, but hey, I get fed all this from the media.

When I think about organized crime in other cultures, i.e.Chinese, Indian, Italian (Godfather anyone? =P) , it seems more mysterious and interesting. That's why I cringed at the idea of the remake....but I might see it sometime later.
    Have u ever thought that maybe in real life, the mafia/gangster/underground society resembles the cursing, racist, violent, sick people in (North) American movies more than the slick super cool version in HK, Indian, Italian etc movies?

The director grew up in such a neighbourhood. He knows the ugliness of these gangster societies. That's why he made it that way.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-30-06 at 11:04 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

post deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    The Departed was no as good as infernal affair.

Without going into a full critic, it lacks the tension and the pace of infernal affair. The plot is draggy and confusing, and the acting was kind of a letdown, e.g. Lenorado's crazy eyes. It is not as rich in texture as infernal affair, and overall it fails for me.
    i agree...it's not good as IA...this movie is too long, no tension like AI....if u don't know IA...then u would think this movie is boring..

So you don't like reality and prefer fantasy right? We're talking about criminals here! Criminals do curse, are crude, violent, sick and most often perverted. But you don't like to see that and rather to see the mafia glorified as this mysterious and interesting organization? And AFAIK, "The Godfather" is a Hollywood movie.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 10-30-06 at 03:39 PM.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by shen long
    I dun know where u get that idea ,did u just watch Hollywood productions and avoid asian and other foreign films?

There are good or bad movies whether its from Hollywood,Bollywood or whatever so u cant generalised like that.
    I suppose you're sort of right. But what I meant was, the acting of Hollywood is better. Way better. Sorry, but it's true. And Chinese movies... They just don't cut it for me.

I'm generalising here when I say this, but all the Chinese/Korean/whatever films I've seen are all either teenagers falling in love in very melodramatic and sappy ways, or people in Wuxia movies flying around the screen on wires. Their ideas of 'sense of humour' is sometimes just plain embarrassing. And the acting can be quite shotty.

But of course, I'm generalising. Of course there are good and bad movies no matter from where. But this is just my experience.
    History repeats itself. Historians simply repeat each other.

Acting from Hollywood...I guess it depends who you include in the list. There have been pop idols that have made it to "Hollywood" like Britney Spears, Hilary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, etc. who can't act very well (well Lindsay Lohan's not THAT bad I guess).Let's not forget Paris Hilton.

I would take stiff acting of Miss HK's over Paris Hilton anyday lol...though I would probably just shut off the TV for both.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight-sonata
    I suppose you're sort of right. But what I meant was, the acting of Hollywood is better. Way better. Sorry, but it's true. And Chinese movies... They just don't cut it for me.

I'm generalising here when I say this, but all the Chinese/Korean/whatever films I've seen are all either teenagers falling in love in very melodramatic and sappy ways, or people in Wuxia movies flying around the screen on wires. Their ideas of 'sense of humour' is sometimes just plain embarrassing. And the acting can be quite shotty.

But of course, I'm generalising. Of course there are good and bad movies no matter from where. But this is just my experience.
    I guess u pick the wrong type of movies to see,there are good asian flicks if u would take time to look out for them. Generally hollywood may have better special effects,budget and other production expertise but acting wise asian films will not lose out.
    石破天道:“是啊,这招是阿绣教我的,她说人家打不过你,你要处处手下留情,得饶人处且饶人,这一招叫‘旁 敲侧击’,既让了对方,又不致为对方所伤。”他毫无机心,滔滔说来。天虚脸上登时红一阵,白一阵,羞愧得无 地自容。

Yeah I suppose... But every time I walk into an Asian Video Store there are just so many weird movies... I suppose I haven't seen any good ones. I just haven't. The ones I've seen are so fake you feel like shooting them. Seriously.

Maybe you could recommend me some good Asian movies?

Yeah I suppose... But every time I walk into an Asian Video Store there are just so many weird movies... I suppose I haven't seen any good ones. I just haven't. The ones I've seen are so fake you feel like shooting them. Seriously.

what sort of movies do u like?

For starters maybe u can try the original version of those hollywood remarks like infernal affairs,the ring etc or check the sticky thread above.
    石破天道:“是啊,这招是阿绣教我的,她说人家打不过你,你要处处手下留情,得饶人处且饶人,这一招叫‘旁 敲侧击’,既让了对方,又不致为对方所伤。”他毫无机心,滔滔说来。天虚脸上登时红一阵,白一阵,羞愧得无 地自容。

I think it's the culture differences afterall; it's just like I never find Hollywood's Comedy films funny at all, not even Jim Carrey's films. Have you watched "The Myth" by Jackie Chan? You should watch if you haven't
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_Viper
    I think it's the culture differences afterall; it's just like I never find Hollywood's Comedy films funny at all, not even Jim Carrey's films. Have you watched "The Myth" by Jackie Chan? You should watch if you haven't
    Jim Carrey's movies are not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    Jim Carrey's movies are not for everyone.
    Whose movies are for everyone? I bet none.
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

Quote Originally Posted by shen long

what sort of movies do u like?

For starters maybe u can try the original version of those hollywood remarks like infernal affairs,the ring etc or check the sticky thread above.
    My Sassy Girl (Korean movie) is good. Heard it was also remade by Hollywood.

Running Out of Time is a good HK movie.

Drink Drank Drunk is a good romantic comedy.

The King and The Clown (Korean movie) is also good. I'm waiting for this movie's DVD to be available in my country.

If u are into art films, try some Wong Kar Wai stuff.
    Last edited by kidd; 11-09-06 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_Viper
    Whose movies are for everyone? I bet none.
    When you say "it's just like I never find Hollywood's Comedy films funny at all, not even Jim Carrey's films", it implies that Jim Carrey's films are liked by most and that those who don't like are the exceptions. I think though that him films are a brand of comedy that doesn't suit everyone; many can't stand his type of comedy. If that's not what you meant, then I don't see the point of adding the "not even Jim Carrey's films".

I hate Jim Carrey's movies.

But thanks for all the suggestions.

If you are not a homophobe, u can give Lan Yu a try too.

just found these on youtube ,they provide pretty good recommandations.

Asian Invasion - Episode 1 Part 1(Japanese films)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buT7x...elated&search=

Asian Invasion - Episode 2 Part 1(HK films)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc3TV...elated&search=

Asian Invasion - Episode 3 Part 1(Korean films)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLi2M...elated&search=

btw each episodes have 6 parts.

I think this is the most off-topic thread
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐