Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is TVB bad for wuxia...

Default Is TVB bad for wuxia...

Many of us, yours truly included, started with the adaptation of wuxia before moving to the novels. I would not have any contact with wuxia if it werent for the adaptation.s But on the other hand, these adaptations (not only TVB) often do not do justice for the novels.

When I was younger, I loved the adaptations. But now Im into the novels, and I get more irretated by the adaptation than enjoying them.

Have I become a wuxia snob? Or did the novels ruin my enjoyment of the adaptation?

Should we ban adaptations? Or is it an easy way to introduce new generation to the wuxia world?

Any thoughts...
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Should we ban adaptations?
    Yes, make TVB adaptions illegal, for it is a detestable crime that pollutes the mind of our society. This crime, this sin, this dreadful TVB adaption business-->must be put to an end if we are to have a productive society!! Hurry, before it's too late.

Actually, the real reason that we should illegalize TVB adaption is their failure to capture the essence of the talent and brilliance of SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan after all these years!
    Last edited by PJ; 10-05-06 at 10:22 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Well to be fair, most of the JY adaptations before 1999 are good adaptations. And if we include TVB's prequels of the Condor Trilogy to the discusssion, not all were good, they each have their pluses and minuses. However, I wouldn't write them off as completely bad either.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

hmm....i dont think TVB is that bad....or at least the old ones. Unless they do major changes that drasticly effect the story line I dony really mind them. I love LOCH 1982 and its one of the few serials that ive watched completely...on the other hand some of the new adaptions are pretty bad. I watched the first couple ROCH 2005 by mainland and its some of the worst cr*p i've seen. You dont really get the same ROCH vibe and generally the acting was painful. Some of my favorite scenes like YG meeting H7G were done brutally...which hurts because I was so pumped about the series.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Actually, the real reason that we should illegalize TVB adaption is their failure to capture the essence of the talent and brilliance of SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan after all these years!
    Because he is the God of Sword, the Sword of God, The Lord of Crystal Clear Voice Transmission, The Father of Tossing Objects Over Mountains, and the ultimate Champion of Single-Stance Execution.
    Come on PJ, you know nowaday TVB would still mess it up.

What we would get is the Saint of Sword, the Sword of Saint, the Servant of Moderately identifiable voice transmission, the illegitimate child of tossing objects over hilltop, and the ultimate challenger of 30 stance execution. TVB would never do his name any justice. Heck, you know what, they might even have the audacity to make Kiu Fung kill him in one move and have the nerves to live on with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung
    Or did the novels ruin my enjoyment of the adaptation?
    It goes together I guess. Try to appreciate the series as a series itself, if not, if based on the novel, it shucks a lot of times. My favorite novel is JDSJ, but all the adaptations for it stinks. Not even one come close to being quite faithful.

The only thing JDSJ have in common in all adaptations are Xiao Yu Er, Hua Wu Que, Tie Xin Lan, Yan Nan Tian, twins having to fight each other, Floral Palace, and a few more stuff. The rest, the directors make them up, choosing distinctly what to retain from the novel, and what BS to just throw in there.

After reading the novel JDSJ, I was so disappointed in all the previous adaptations I saw. But as a series itself, I still liked some parts of each adaptation.

Should we ban adaptations? Or is it an easy way to introduce new generation to the wuxia world?
    Nope, do not ban it. I mean like you said, without adaptations, would you ever become wuxia fan? Give the new people the same chances we had when we were little. Plus there are many people who prefer adaptations over novels. For example, people will go to their graves claiming how LOCH82 is the only true LOCH, whereas from what I heard, LOCH2003 was the best adaptation ever. (Best series is debateable, but in terms of adaptation faithfulness, most people tell me LOCH2003 was the best.) Yet, people only care about Felix Wong and Barbara Yung version.

Many of us, yours truly included, started with the adaptation of wuxia before moving to the novels. I would not have any contact with wuxia if it werent for the adaptation.s But on the other hand, these adaptations (not only TVB) often do not do justice for the novels.

When I was younger, I loved the adaptations. But now Im into the novels, and I get more irretated by the adaptation than enjoying them.

Have I become a wuxia snob? Or did the novels ruin my enjoyment of the adaptation?

Any thoughts...
    Yes, you have.

A lot of fans including me started getting attracted to wuxia story because of these adaptations. So, eventhough they are unfaithful to the novels, they still have they uses. They are entertaining and they introduce people to the world of wuxia. They also helps the lucky authors increase the sales of their books. Heck, maybe this forum wouldn't even exist if there are no TV adaptations of wuxia novels. Most of us here (except Candide), I believe are fans of the series first.

TV series will be a lot duller without wuxia adaptations.

I also don't see why u guys all complained about TVB so much. I think their wuxia series (even the recent ones) are fine. Yeah, some of them sux, but not all are bad.

Lastly, how many times can adaptations follow exactly the storyline of the novels. 1 times it's ok. But JY novels have been adaptated countless times, especially the popular ones. If all have the same exact storyline it will bored audiences to tears.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-05-06 at 08:23 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    And if we include TVB's prequels of the Condor Trilogy to the discusssion, not all were good, they each have their pluses and minuses. However, I wouldn't write them off as completely bad either.
    How do most of you feel about the TVB "prequels" namely:

Mystery of the Condor - HYS and AYF
    Condor Heroes Return - 1D and H7G
    Rage and Passion - WCY and LCY

or even

Golden Mane Lion King - "prequel" to HSDS

Do you like the idea of having a possible story of the Greats before they were Greats? Or do you only care about novel, and since JY never wrote it, you treat these prequels made by directors like crap?

I assume for the JY lover, if it is not by JY, it is crap right, whether it be a fake novel or fake adaptation ("prequels" and "sequels")?

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    For example, people will go to their graves claiming how LOCH82 is the only true LOCH, whereas from what I heard, LOCH2003 was the best adaptation ever. (Best series is debateable, but in terms of adaptation faithfulness, most people tell me LOCH2003 was the best.) Yet, people only care about Felix Wong and Barbara Yung version.
    Actually, the most faithful LOCH adaptation should be LOCH94.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Oh, really? Even with Athena playing with her hair all day huh? Can anyone confirm LOCH94 had the best faithful adaptation for LOCH.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Oh, really? Even with Athena playing with her hair all day huh? Can anyone confirm LOCH94 had the best faithful adaptation for LOCH.
    Yes LOCH94 is the most faithful. I've been told at least 3x by other members of this forum and members of other forums.

Most of DGSD 2003 was so faithful to the novel, it became surreally predictable. That made me realize that some deviations are good/necessary for adaptions to work.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

TommyH
    Unregistered

Most of DGSD 2003 was so faithful to the novel, it became surreally predictable. That made me realize that some deviations are good/necessary for adaptions to work.
    Is DGSD03 dubbed into Cantonese yet?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    How accurate could it be when it had Gwok Jing completely sit out the Second Mt. Hua Sword Tournament (of all things to change...)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    How accurate could it be when it had Gwok Jing completely sit out the Second Mt. Hua Sword Tournament (of all things to change...)?
    It didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01
    It didn't.
    A few people who've watched it said that in LOCH '94, Gwok Jing did not fight in the Second Mt. Hua Sword Tournament (which would be really lame if it's true).

A few people who've watched it said that in LOCH '94, Gwok Jing did not fight in the Second Mt. Hua Sword Tournament (which would be really lame if it's true).
    I must have imagined the fight I saw in LOCH94 then.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-05-06 at 09:48 PM.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Gwok Jing though Wong Yung is dead so he didn't know the meaning of life so he said he'll forget all his martial arts. He met Yau Chui Gei and Gei said that Jing should go to the second Hua Shan meeting since H7G would be there and H7G might be able to help GJ forget his martial arts.

Jing went to Mt. Hua and he found out that his beloved WY is still alive. Later OYF appears and he fights the other 3 Greats with his reverse 9Yin. He beats all three and later WY somehow talked him away (forgot how).

Then Kau Cheen Yan appears and so does Ying Goo. Both of them fights and then they both fell down the cliff. GJ at the last moment saved both of them.

So...I guess GJ didn't fight.

I can .
    I think LOCH 94 and LOCH 03 are 2 most faithful adaptations. But LOCH 94 is probably the better one because Zhou Xun's - Huang Rong's voice in LOCH 03 was too terrible. It was so coarse and sounded not like Huang Rong's clear and sweet voice as described in the novel. .When I watch LOCH 03, I often turn off the volume to avoid hearing Zhou Xun's coarse voice.
    Should we ban adaptations?
    No. Without adaptations, wuxia world is just a boring one.
    Last edited by RongYingMin; 10-05-06 at 10:22 PM.

At least the TV series gave us really memorable theme songs (for me at least). I loved all those Roman/Jenny songs from the 80s.

The sucky thing about TVB series is usually the stupid effects. Not the exploding rocks and purple smoke but the cheap SFX and the worst scene ever IMHO, The Horror of Horrors, The Ultimate in Suckiness, Suckiness in its Ultimate, That Utter Crap, The final battle with the mongols in ROCH 84!

Yeah, and non of them paid proper respect to the SWORD GOD.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!