View Poll Results: In your vastly humble opinion, Is this guy's opinion a bit "off?"

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he's on crack

22 91.67%
  • No, he is correct

2 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladies and gentlemen of SPCNET: decide if this guy is on crack

Default Ladies and gentlemen of SPCNET: decide if this guy is on crack

Although SPCNET contains a diverse user base in terms of their wuxia-related opinions, many if not most martial arts levels of various characters are relatively accepted. For example, most of us probably agree that the Greats are roughly equal to the DGSD elites (Xiao Feng, Xiao Yuanshan, etc), that Zhang Sanfeng is roughly equal to the Greats, and that Xuzhu is superior to the Greats. Yes, the Jin Yong universe does tend to center around the Greats so they're at the forefront of many discussions!

Anyway, I have discovered a different opinion by a Chinese reader. I found his interpretations rather amusing. Here is what he said:

In HSDS, it was proclaimed that Zhang Sanfeng has reached the peak of extremity in martial arts. However, the Sweeper Monk of DGSD was described with such coolness, it's not much of a disgrace to put him on the same level as Zhang Sanfeng. So, Zhang Sanfeng =~ Sweeper Monk.

Below that, Xuzhu and Duan Yu are on the same level as Zhang Wuji.

Next, below the above, Wuyazi, Tianshan Tonglao, and Li Qiushui's martial arts level should be at the same level as Dunan, Dujie, and Duwei.

Next, below the above, Xiao Feng should be at the same level as Reverend Kongjian.

Next, below the above, Jiumozhi, Murong Bo, and Xiao Yuanshan are on the same level as Cheng Kun and the Xuanming Elders.

Next, below the above, You Tanzhi, Murong Fu, Duan Yanqing etc are at the same level as Yang Xiao, Yin Tianzheng, Yu Lianzhou.

Next, below the above, SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan should be at the same level as EIGHT-ARMED SWORDSMAN Fang Dongbai.

source: http://games2.sina.com.cn/g_item/200....php?id=701478
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Haha! Too bad he did not rank GJ and YG! Nukes will fly if he did!

剑神卓不凡和剑法高手方东白等人在同一个档次

Ahhh! At least he gave SWORD GOD a mention!

This line makes me think he is on crack!

无崖子等的武功和渡难等处在同一个等级.
    Last edited by CC; 10-06-06 at 12:43 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Other than putting Cheung 3 Fung way too high, it's not that unreasonable. It looks very much like the rankings our people here have put together over the years (for the most part).

First of all, More power to the person for including the honorable guest The God of Sword, the Sword of God, SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan!

Other than that, I must say, I find his other rankings to be wildly off the wall, the type that makes you wonder which TVB adaptions he has been polluted by.

For the sake of agreeable unity, I shall not discuss cross-novel comparisons for now. I just want to point out some obvious intra-novel stupidities on his part.

In HSDS, it was explicitly mentioned that Cheng Kun and Duwei/Dunan/Dujie are at the same level. Yet, this person placed Cheng Kun 2 levels below Duwei etc.

You might say, well, perhaps he is really attentive to detail, and any noticeable gap between fighters constitutes a separate level. Well, this is clearly not the case, judging by his ranking of Murong Fu and Duan Yanqing at the same level.

All in all, I was amused by his extraordinarily nonsensical ranking. However he did write one interesting point:

俞莲舟是张三丰的嫡传,武功应当比《笑傲》中的冲虚为高。冲虚的太极剑虽不错,但离忘招境界还 差得太远。

Yu Lianzhou being Zhang Sanfeng's direct disciple, his martial arts should be higher than Taoist Priest Chongxu of "Smiling Proud Wanderer." Chongxu's Taiji Swordplay was quite good; however he was far from reaching the stage of Forgetting the Stance.

I think the above statement may be his only point worthy of discussion. Do you think his assessment of Zhang Sanfeng's successors makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Other than putting Cheung 3 Fung way too high, it's not that unreasonable. It looks very much like the rankings our people here have put together over the years (for the most part).
    Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    JMZ being 2 ranks below the Du monks!

He is NOT on crack! Its something STRONGER!

This bit is accurate, people tend to ignore this last bit:

.<<天龙>>写到最后,书上说虚竹的武功已经能够“随心所欲”,也就是说可以把武功发挥到十成了,果然是 “无往而不利”呀!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Not even close.

I'll admit that Yau Tan Tze ranking down at Ming Cult elder level is pretty bizarre. Yau Tan Tze wasn't much of a fighter, but he had more raw power than Kiu Fung did. That's quite a few magnitudes higher than the likes of Yeung Siu, etc.

His list seems more reasonable at the top, but gets increasingly weird towards the bottom.

Yu Lianzhou being Zhang Sanfeng's direct disciple, his martial arts should be higher than Taoist Priest Chongxu of "Smiling Proud Wanderer." Chongxu's Taiji Swordplay was quite good; however he was far from reaching the stage of Forgetting the Stance.

I think the above statement may be his only point worthy of discussion. Do you think his assessment of Zhang Sanfeng's successors makes sense?
    Hard to say. Just by virtue of being a 'direct disciple' doesn't make one automatically better in Taiji.

*his = his/her

Judging by his inclusion of SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan, he should have actually consulted the novels. However his logic is so stupid, I'm ashamed to be of the same race as him.

He said: In HSDS, it was proclaimed that Zhang Sanfeng has reached the peak of extremity in martial arts. That is his logic of placing Zhang Sanfeng at the very top of his ranking.

Well, if we apply his logic... I hope by now y'all can predict what I'm about to say

He said: In HSDS, it was proclaimed that Zhang Sanfeng has reached the peak of extremity in martial arts. That is his logic of placing Zhang Sanfeng at the very top of his ranking.

Well, if we apply his logic... I hope by now y'all can predict what I'm about to say

登峰造极!!!!

Ahahahahaha!

Are you a member there? Shall we post a reply based on _that_ logic?

hell no, I can't imagine the Du Generation monks on par with the Xiao Yiao Elders. Ironically, someone else at Temujin's forum also said this.
    Kongjian shouldn't be used as a scale because we never seen him in actual combat except for when he dominated Xie Xun.

<<天龙>>写到最后,书上说虚竹的武功已经能够“随心所欲”,也就是说可以把武功发挥到十成了,果然是“ 无往而不利” 呀! I'm not sure this is correct. Other than fighting ability and experience, XZ has 3X the internal of 1 Xiao Yiao Elder and with that kind of a difference, even with a severe disadvantage in fighting ability and experience, the internal should be way more than enough to make it up.

俞莲舟是张三丰的嫡传,武功应当比《笑傲》中的冲虚为高。冲虚的太极剑虽不错,但离忘招境界还 差得太远。About this quote: I'm not 100% sure. One thing for sure is that ZWJ and Z3F's use of Taichi sword is in different light and mastery of the Wudang Heros. To be honest, I'm not sure if the Wudang Heros have gotten to the so called 离忘招境界 which ZWJ and Z3F clearly achieved.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    <<天龙>>写到最后,书上说虚竹的武功已经能够“随心所欲”,也就是说可以把武功发挥到十成了,果然是“ 无往而不利” 呀! I'm not sure this is correct. Other than fighting ability and experience, XZ has 3X the internal of 1 Xiao Yiao Elder and with that kind of a difference, even with a severe disadvantage in fighting ability and experience, the internal should be way more than enough to make it up.

Eh? That line was not referring to anything about XZ's lack of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Are you a member there? Shall we post a reply based on _that_ logic?
    OK, I registered on that stupid site just to make a point. I posted a comment as 剑神_卓不凡

阁下说: <<倚天>>中说张三丰的武功已达武学最高境界。。。 所以阁下认为张三丰应当排名第一。阁下若仔细读过<<天龙八部>>就应该知道,金庸描述“剑神”卓不凡时说 起:从适才这一剑出招之快、拿捏之准看来,剑上的造诣实已到了登峰造极的地步。可以说金庸描述卓不凡的武功 也已达武学最高境界,而这是金庸自己在书里写的,绝无半点差错!所以“剑神”卓不凡实在应和张三丰排在同一 挡。

Nice job PJ.

omg..... that is cruel to people who don't know much about wuxia.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

However he did write one interesting point:

俞莲舟是张三丰的嫡传,武功应当比《笑傲》中的冲虚为高。冲虚的太极剑虽不错,但离忘招境界还 差得太远。

Yu Lianzhou might have been the strongest of the Wudang Seven in HSDS, but he was never shown to have reached the point of "忘招" in Taiji Swordplay. Therefore, any comparison between Yu and Chongxu on their abilities to "忘招" in Taiji Swordplay would border on pure speculation.

阁下说: <<倚天>>中说张三丰的武功已达武学最高境界。。。所以阁下认为张三丰应当排名第一。阁下若仔细读过<< 天龙八部>>就应该知道,金庸描述“剑神”卓不凡时说起:从适才这一剑出招之快、拿捏之准看来,剑上的造诣 实已到了登峰造极的地步。可以说金庸描述卓不凡的武功也已达武学最高境界,而这是金庸自己在书里写的,绝无 半点差错!所 以“剑神”卓不凡实在应和张三丰排在同一挡。
    Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    omg..... that is cruel to people who don't know much about wuxia.
    Anyone who makes any posts in a public forum, especially if it entails a multi-novel ranking like the one this person did, should be prepared for the consequences, be they bouquets or brickbats.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

That ranking was obviously way off.

Interested in seeing what PJ posted in that forum. (Translation pls )

Han Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    In a nutshell:
    According to PJ:
    The person wrote: Zhang Sanfeng reached the highest point in martial arts.
    Jin Yong wrote: Zhuo Bufan = peak of perfection; therefore, should be at the highest point in martial arts as well.
    Therefore, Zhang Sanfeng and Zhuo Bufan should be ranked alike!
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    That ranking was obviously way off.

Han Solo
    登峰造极, which was used to describe ZBF's swordplay, = The Peak of Ultimate Perfection. Therefore, ZBF = Z3F!

TommyH
    Unregistered

Although SPCNET contains a diverse user base in terms of their wuxia-related opinions, many if not most martial arts levels of various characters are relatively accepted. For example, most of us probably agree that the Greats are roughly equal to the DGSD elites (Xiao Feng, Xiao Yuanshan, etc), that Zhang Sanfeng is roughly equal to the Greats, and that Xuzhu is superior to the Greats. Yes, the Jin Yong universe does tend to center around the Greats so they're at the forefront of many discussions!

Anyway, I have discovered a different opinion by a Chinese reader. I found his interpretations rather amusing. Here is what he said:

In HSDS, it was proclaimed that Zhang Sanfeng has reached the peak of extremity in martial arts. However, the Sweeper Monk of DGSD was described with such coolness, it's not much of a disgrace to put him on the same level as Zhang Sanfeng. So, Zhang Sanfeng =~ Sweeper Monk.

Below that, Xuzhu and Duan Yu are on the same level as Zhang Wuji.

Next, below the above, Wuyazi, Tianshan Tonglao, and Li Qiushui's martial arts level should be at the same level as Dunan, Dujie, and Duwei.

Next, below the above, Xiao Feng should be at the same level as Reverend Kongjian.

Next, below the above, Jiumozhi, Murong Bo, and Xiao Yuanshan are on the same level as Cheng Kun and the Xuanming Elders.

Next, below the above, You Tanzhi, Murong Fu, Duan Yanqing etc are at the same level as Yang Xiao, Yin Tianzheng, Yu Lianzhou.

Next, below the above, SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan should be at the same level as EIGHT-ARMED SWORDSMAN Fang Dongbai.

source: http://games2.sina.com.cn/g_item/200....php?id=701478

He ranked Z3F too high, DY too high, and several of the characters too low.