Thread: Battle of 19th/20th Century "Wulin" Legends

Default Battle of 19th/20th Century "Wulin" Legends

Jin Yong and Gu Long wrote about a legendary "wulin" of the distant past...a time long before modern nations and modern technology emerged. This gave the superhuman feats of their characters some plausibility. Neither Jin Yong nor Gu Long set any of their stories in the 19th or 20th Centuries.

The 19th and early 20th Centuries, however, did feature their share of "wulin" legends...some fictional, others based on real historic individuals. If there were to be a martial arts competition among the following 19th/early 20th Century fighters, who would be the last man standing?

Fong Sai Yuk

Hung Hei Gwoon

Wong Fei Hung

Fok Yeun Gap

Mind telling me more about Fong Sai Yuk?

Fong Sai Yuk and Hung Hei Gwoon both lived in the same time period, didn't they?
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Quote Originally Posted by resident:alien
    Mind telling me more about Fong Sai Yuk?
    Here.

The information is quite sketchy, I'm afraid, but it's all I could come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by resident:alien
    Fong Sai Yuk and Hung Hei Gwoon both lived in the same time period, didn't they?
    I think they were contemporaries - perhaps even friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Here.

The information is quite sketchy, I'm afraid, but it's all I could come up with.

I think they were contemporaries - perhaps even friends.
    yeah, the information is quite sketchy. there is more information on Pai Mei.

i haven't read any novels but i've seen several HK depictions but only of FSY, HHG, and WFH. unfortunately, they were all played by the same actor, so i cannot make an informed decision.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

How about adding Yang Lu Chan, the founder of Yang Tai Chi. His nickname is Yang Wu Di, or Yang the Invincible.

There were many legends of him being challenged and won through amazing feats.

Historically, he ended up training the Manchurian imperial army and royal families.

How about Sun Lu Tang, a great master of Ba Gua Zhang, Xing Yi Quan and also the founder of Sun Shi Tai Chi Quan (the Tai Chi of Sun family)?
    If I remember correctly, his nickname was: The God of Martial Arts (Wu Sheng), given by Jianghu people.
    In a book that I read along time ago, in the Ren Guo era, he beat a great master of Karatedo in some dozens of moves.
    Then, the Japanese government respectfully offered him a post as the martial teacher for the Japanese fighters. But he refused, he was a patriot and didn't want to mix up with Japanese government at all.
    Last edited by RongYingMin; 10-14-06 at 03:12 AM.