Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Conducting Our JY Couples Demographics: (Everyone Participate)

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000
    I have reached 50 posts.
    Can you add mine now?
    Thanks
    Yes, will be done right away.

I seriously believe that some people need to branch out of their childhood fave couples of HR and GJ and/or YG and XLN and just give other couples a chance. You know, branch out, broaden your horizons.....
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    I seriously believe that some people need to branch out of their childhood fave couples of HR and GJ and/or YG and XLN and just give other couples a chance. You know, branch out, broaden your horizons.....
    I'm guilty of that I'm still trying to look beyond those two couples but as you can tell, not very successful so far. I like other couples but it's hard to change a longtime personal fav. Maybe it's just me.

In my personal opinion, first things remain brighter in our memory.
    YG XLN and GJ HR couples were the first wuxia heroes that me watched/read/heard.
    They stick in our mind forever.

I think people do branch out Suet Seung, its just that in this case, I ask for only the MOST FAVORITE COUPLE. Not, what are some of your favorite couples?

Similar if I ask, who do you love the most in the world. Most people would probably answer like "My spouse". It is not that they don't branch out (ahem, Little Dragon Girl), but just their favorite is still their spouse.

Guo Jing & Huang Rong
    Les Arts Martiaux!
    "En Garde","Fleche Enflammee"!!

CALLING ALL SUPPORTERS OF GJ AND HR, PLEASE VOTE PLEASE PLEASE

No doubt, GJ and HR!!!!!
    I love the golden 80s period of TVB!!!
    Michael Miu + Barbara Yung = MOST FAV COUPLE

I was invited to vote for Gwok Jing and Wong Yung.

So I'm here to vote for Gwok Jing and Wong Yung.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I was invited to vote for Gwok Jing and Wong Yung.

So I'm here to vote for Gwok Jing and Wong Yung.
    by sarakoth?

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth
    CALLING ALL SUPPORTERS OF GJ AND HR, PLEASE VOTE PLEASE PLEASE

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

mine isnt childhood....it's actually new, really....so i have a loooooooong way before i need to 'broaden my horizon'...........

Go Guo Jing and Huang Rong! only THE MOST PERFECT FICTIONAL COUPLE EVER!

LHC and RYY are closely behind GJ and HR for me.
    ~red
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    by sarakoth?
    Yeah, I actually PMed him.

Xiao Feng and Ah Zhu for me.
    ..ext88

Ranked:
    1. Guo Jing and Huang Rong - wasn't always this way only because I read the LOCH translations
    2. Linhuchong and Ren Ying Ying - sweet love story
    3. Yang Guo and Xiao Long Nu - they are meant for each other, but not my favorite couple
    4. Zhang Wuji and Zhao Min - i just love ZM

Honorable mentions - that don't qualify the thread:
    Wei Xiao Bao and Kang Xi - because Tony Leung and Andy Lau is the the most awesome pairing

Xiao Yu'er and Su Ying - one of my top couples but alas not in the JY universe

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    Wei Xiao Bao and Kang Xi - because Tony Leung and Andy Lau is the the most awesome pairing

Xiao Yu'er and Su Ying - one of my top couples but alas not in the JY universe
    Wei Xiao Bao and Kang Xi - yeah sorry, I am only counting couples as in a attracted romantic love relationship only. The only guy/guy pairing must be because they are gay. WXB and KX belong in the brotherhood love. Unless you are suggesting WXB and KX are closer than we think?

Xiao Yu Er and Su Ying indeed are my favorite wuxia couple as well, but yeah, the thread I made was JY only.
    Last edited by Felix; 05-02-07 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    3. Yang Guo and Xiao Long Nu - they are meant for each other, but not my favorite couple
    I have a theory on why Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl just don't work as a heroic couple for many wuxia fans, including me and you. I really believe that Jin Yong tried too hard, too self-consciously to convince his readers that Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl were the greatest heroic couple ever. There wasn't any subtlety to it: the entire story was basically Jin Yong whacking readers over the head with this idea and ramming it down readers' throats. It was hamfisted, it was overkill, and I think it ultimately had the opposite effect from what Jin Yong intended on many fans: it turned people *off* to Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl instead of endeared them to the couple.

Compare that to Gwok Jing and Wong Yung. Why is it that the heroic couple of LOCH is so widely popular despite not being touted by Jin Yong as being the "greatest heroic couple ever?" It's precisely because Jin Yong didn't try too hard to sell his audience on the idea that Gwok Jing and Wong Yung were some kind of perfect couple. They were just these two crazy kids in wulin with very different personalities who were fun to read about...no heavy-handed, over-the-top talk about them being the "greatest couple ever." Without that baggage, it became much easier for Gwok Jing and Wong Yung to endear themselves to fans.

That's my $0.02 on the differences between the LOCH and ROCH couples anyway.

Well, seeing how all Guo Jing fans and Yeung Gor fans are virtually split, as well as the couples fans of both respective parties, Jin Yong did get some people to love ROCH, and then, also, for Ken and others, to hate it. It seems most people either like LOCH or ROCH, not both.

So in LOCH, he got a bunch of fans to like him. Then ROCH, he picked up all the others.

Wait, he wrote ROCH first right? So therefore, he got the ROCH fans first, and then the LOCH fans after.

Plus back then, when he started out, wasn't ROCH also in the Ming Pao weekly newspapers or something. Giving the love story to us this way, there was a little mushiness in each week. But in the novel, it is all in one piece, so all that mushiness add up to quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Well, seeing how all Guo Jing fans and Yeung Gor fans are virtually split, as well as the couples fans of both respective parties, Jin Yong did get some people to love ROCH, and then, also, for Ken and others, to hate it. It seems most people either like LOCH or ROCH, not both.

So in LOCH, he got a bunch of fans to like him. Then ROCH, he picked up all the others.

Wait, he wrote ROCH first right? So therefore, he got the ROCH fans first, and then the LOCH fans after.
    No, he wrote them in chronological order. LOCH and ROCH weren't written STAR WARS-style with the later episodes coming before the early episodes (that would have been weird).

There was a gap between the publication of LOCH and ROCH (which were released back to back in the late 1950s and early 1960s) and the publication of HSDS, however. Between finishing ROCH and starting HSDS, Jin Yong wrote (I believe) FLYING FOX OF SNOWY MOUNTAIN and maybe one other work.