Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sweeper monk

Default Sweeper monk

who exaclty was this guy and which story was he in O.o and gimme a list of like all the martial arts he knew thanks.. i keep hearing so much god-like things being said about him lol

He was in DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS. He only appeared briefly, but made an unforgettable impact. Nobody knows what martial arts he practiced...or if what he did in DGSD was martial arts at all (some believe it's divine/magic power). His personal history is also a mystery.

If he was a martial artist, however, he was, by far, the greatest fighter in the Jin Yong universe.

Quote Originally Posted by batmankiller
    gimme a list of like all the martial arts he knew thanks..
    If we knew that much detail about him, Sweeper Monk wouldn't be the mysterious Sweeper Monk that he is.

i keep hearing so much god-like things being said about him lol
    One of the factors that makes him seem god-like is we don't know much about his martial arts.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Here are the kung fu skills of which Sweeper Monk reached the ultimate acme of perfection:
    - Basic kung fu skills of Shaolin Temple.
    - 72 elite skills of Shaolin Temple.
    - Yi Jin Jing (Tendon Altering Sutra).
    I don't think he knew kung fu skills of other schools.
    To reach the level of Sweeper Monk in Shaolin Kungfu, it would take the time as long as one's lifetime was.
    Last edited by RongYingMin; 10-23-06 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    Here are the kung fu skills of which Sweeper Monk reached the ultimate acme of perfection:
    - Basic kung fu skills of Shaolin Temple.
    We don't know that the Janitor Monk practiced any Shaolin martial arts. He had lived at the Shaolin Temple for decades, but nothing was said about whether or not he practiced Shaolin martial arts during all that time.

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    We don't know that for sure.

He is obviously Dugu Qiubai one and the same.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    He is obviously Dugu Qiubai one and the same.
    Wouldn't that be a demotion for the Janitor Monk?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Wouldn't that be a demotion for the Janitor Monk?
    How can you be sure that sweeper is above DGQB? Who knows maybe its the other way around or maybe they are equals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    How can you be sure that sweeper is above DGQB? Who knows maybe its the other way around or maybe they are equals.
    Based on the meager descriptions of both, I'd wager the Janitor Monk is at a level far beyond Dook Goo Kau Bai.

The truth about SWEEPER MONK is....

WE CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

That's why JY never wrote much about him.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Sweeper Monk is an annonymus monk who appears in Demi God Semi Devils,

what makes him god-like is...

-Blocked Xiao Feng's 100% power Dragon Palm by casting an invisible force shield

-Killed Xiao Yuan Shan and Muroung Buo (both around Xiao Feng's level) with ONE tap

-Basically he has a force shield all around his body that nobody is able EVEN to touch him

-He can fly(!!!!!), and flies faster than all the other people in DGSD while carrying 2 bodies
    Last edited by Loke-Gao-Zhu; 10-24-06 at 05:55 PM.

Based on the meager descriptions of both, I'd wager the Janitor Monk is at a level far beyond Dook Goo Kau Bai.
    The only descriptions we have of Dugu was that he was invincible, and never defended. Janitor Monk actually showed up and showed off. Dugu Qiubai might have twice the force shield that the monk has, we do not know.

All we know of Dugu Qiubai's martial arts is that the people who had a few months/days of instruction on the ways of his martial arts becomes able to defeat 99% of wulin with ONE sword stroke.

I say they are one and the same because they are both plot devices. In particular, unparsimoniously powerful plot devices. That is why they are one and the same.

In Western literature, Dugu Qiubai is ".the wizard who did it "
    Last edited by Ardor; 10-24-06 at 06:13 PM.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

The only descriptions we have of Dugu was that he was invincible, and never defended. Janitor Monk actually showed up and showed off.
    Which for me, gives the Janitor Monk way more credibility than Dook Goo Kau Bai.

Dugu Qiubai might have twice the force shield that the monk has, we do not know.
    That doesn't work for me. I need positive proof.

All we know of Dugu Qiubai's martial arts is that the people who had a few months/days of instruction on the ways of his martial arts becomes able to defeat 99% of wulin with ONE sword stroke.
    One stroke? I don't know about that. We just knew he won his duels, not how many strokes he needed to win. Besides, there *are* other swordsmen out there who generally win their duels with one stroke as well. Unless we know the level of Dook Goo Kau Bai's competition, this claim is rather meaningless.

I say they are one and the same because they are both plot devices. In particular, unparsimoniously powerful plot devices. That is why they are one and the same.
    Nonetheless, I still believe the Janitor Monk is by far the greater of the two.

One stroke? I don't know about that. We just knew he won his duels, not how many strokes he needed to win. Besides, there *are* other swordsmen out there who generally win their duels with one stroke as well. Unless we know the level of Dook Goo Kau Bai's competition, this claim is rather meaningless.
    Ardor is saying other people who learnt Dugu's martial arts, this is mainly refering to YG, his superior internal energy beating those people who follow GLFW as seen in ROCH, DGQB's internal energy must be greater than YG to reach using wood sword, then overcominf a sword without a sword.

Sweeper monk i believe would have learnt some if not all shaolin martial arts, his been in the library for how many years...

DGQB can't be SM as they are from different time intervals which i think is 100-150 years apart, DGSD is set in different time frame from the condor trilogy is it not???

I was reading the edited version of ROCH on wuxiapedia(great site and translation by the way!! thanks to all those who helped complete it!!!) and I came across a paragraph which seems to suggest that GJ is somewhat superior to DGQB in terms of lightness skill. YG was thinking of a way to scale up XY walls, and in his head he thought that he did not have time to learn GJ's "stair way to heaven?" technique, so he would just go over the wall using Dugu's method. He then proceeded to puncture some holes into the wall and climbed his way up...similar to what Dugu did in the past to build his sword tomb.

Although this dosent show that Dugu is inferior to GJ in fighting ability, it does show that Dugu was human. I mean could you picture sweeper using such a tedious method to get over a mere wall??? He proboally would have pulled a XZ and just jumped that mofo, that or run through it roadrunner/terminator style.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

All I have to say is that Dugu Qiubai would have been EXTREMELY pleased to meet an opponent like Ren Woxing, which means that very few, if any, of Dugu Qiubai's foes actually reached Ren Woxing's level. Also, Feng Qingyang was described to be able to substitute for Dugu Qiubai in terms of understanding Dugu Qiubai's philosophy, so the martial art gap between Dugu Qiubai and Feng Qingyang/Ren Woxing shouldn't be that big.

Still, their respective descriptions does not clearly show who is superior. Your assumption may be correct, but it can also be false.

As for my opinion, I don't know who is stronger. Sweeper showed up and proved his godlike skills, DGQB is said to be unmatched in his era. Unless we get to know more of their strengths and weaknesses, then no one knows who is stronger between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by dracnom
    Ardor is saying other people who learnt Dugu's martial arts, this is mainly refering to YG, his superior internal energy beating those people who follow GLFW as seen in ROCH, DGQB's internal energy must be greater than YG to reach using wood sword, then overcominf a sword without a sword.
    Actually, it refers to Linghu Chong as well. Remember that even without ANY internal energy, and about a month or so of instructions, he was capable of blinding 15 experts with one stroke of his sword. Not only that, most of Linghu Chong's fights (against the lower 99% of wulin) consists of him pointing his sword at them, and them either fleeing, or dying.

To become THAT powerful after only a month of sword training, would be marvelous.

By saying Dugu will be pleased to meet Ren Woxing could also mean that Dugu rarely needs more than half a move to defeat an opponent that would not lose to him unknowingly. A Great level opponent would need at least a whole move to defeat, and would not be defeated subconsciously. (ala LHC beating people unknowingly using Dugu 9 Jian)

Therefore extremely pleased. Like a deity meeting the most powerful earthly general. He'd be extremely pleased, but the general would still lose in one move.

Quote Originally Posted by duguxiaojing
    I was reading the edited version of ROCH on wuxiapedia(great site and translation by the way!! thanks to all those who helped complete it!!!) and I came across a paragraph which seems to suggest that GJ is somewhat superior to DGQB in terms of lightness skill. YG was thinking of a way to scale up XY walls, and in his head he thought that he did not have time to learn GJ's "stair way to heaven?" technique, so he would just go over the wall using Dugu's method. He then proceeded to puncture some holes into the wall and climbed his way up...similar to what Dugu did in the past to build his sword tomb.

Although this dosent show that Dugu is inferior to GJ in fighting ability, it does show that Dugu was human. I mean could you picture sweeper using such a tedious method to get over a mere wall??? He proboally would have pulled a XZ and just jumped that mofo, that or run through it roadrunner/terminator style.
    Well, Yang Guo did not learn anything about lightness kungfu from DGQB.