Thread: Who's sick of ATV taking forever to promote their artists?

Default Who's sick of ATV taking forever to promote their artists?

My frustration:

I've waited years for them to give lead roles to my favorite actor Benny Chan Chin Pang. It's like after his 2nd lead in Love in a Miracle he hasn't been given lead roles anymore. Seriously I'm tired of seeing their newcomers that doing supporting roles until they aren't even considered newcomers anymore. For example, someone like Ricky Chan got the leading male looks and the acting skills but still have to settle with supporting roles and I've noticed him since My Date With A Vampire II. Not only do they take forever to allow their artists to receive lead roles but they also like using ex-TVB actors as leads for their ATV series. I'm mean don't get me wrong I'm fine if the leads are like Patrick Tam and Amy Chan who are people who can act but seriously having Pinky Cheung(the new no.1 actress of ATV) get 2nd lead while Michelle gets the lead whose acting isn't as good as her is pretty bad. Not having having enough series out is already bad but when they do have one they give leads to other ex-TVB people just pisses me off. And don't get me started about Benny Chan Chin Pang getting ranked lower than Hawick Lau on the profile page of ATV's website when Chin Pang has been with ATV longer and obviously has better acting and singing skills. You can tell it's ranked well at least for the first few people because it goes from Kenneth Chan Kai Tai the yut goh(no.1 actor) then to Pinky Cheung(no.1 actress) and then it's Hawick Lau and right next to him is Chan Chin Pang and then it's Patricia, after her everyone else is scattered somewhere random.

I mean they got the good scripts and the real actors/actresses that can truely act and sing(unlike TVB) but seriously whenever I think about how I've been waiting forever to get my idols to become leads and how they aren't as popular as TVB people when they should be is horrible. It's like the only way to get leads in ATV is that you're either the no.1 actor or no.1 actress and Gilbert Lam is an exception I guess. I'm sick and tired of seeing these ATV actors that should've been getting leads roles a while ago. Everytime I see how other TVB people who aren't as talented are popular makes me feel like I'm punished for like meaningful and realistic series. It's also not right how people only notice mainland series that ATV airs that are similar to TVB when there are way more TVB series that is so similar to ATV's older series it's not even funny. A great example is Le Femme Desperado it's like a smack into ATV's face when it got so popular because it's so similar to their series Anything But Him which also talked about three women, and how a younger guy(Gabriel Harrison Hoi Chun Kit) falls in love with one of them that's not only way older then him but whose also married. However Anything But Him was the more realistic and better version. The way Hoi Chun Kit portrayed his character and the expressions he made would make you feel for his character unlike the way Raymond portrayed his character which acted way too immature and also in a comedic way. Speaking of comedies it's like in every modern series of TVB they try to make them funny. And I hate that because aren't series suppose to reflect real life? When they do that they take away the meaningfulness of the series which is horrible. Also it's not fair how ATV is the one with the better, more memorable and meaningful series yet when they make a great series that's way better than alot of TVB series it's like no one cares and there aren't any praises but when TVB churns out something like War of the in Laws it gets hyped like crazy. It's like HK people don't know how to appreciate meaningful and realistic series and are just too obsessed with their comedies.

Talking to someone else whose also Benny Chan Chin Pang's fan I've found out that she actually feels the same way about the ATV people, their series, and the unfairness of how people see ATV. I've got to the point where I'm wishing Chin Pang would just leave ATV to do movies or just go take a risk at TVB. It's not like if he doesn't get promoted by TVB he won't be able to go back to ATV because just look at Gilbert Lam and how he got lead roles again right after he returned to them. And seriously if ex TVB people like Hawick Lau and Patricia Liu can get cherished right away by them I don't see how he can't take the chance of leaving them even though I really do like watching their series and really like their storylines especially A Dream Named Desire, Venture Against Time, Love in a Miracle, Project Ji Xiang, and My Date With A Vampire I, II, and IIII.

ATV go the good scripts and truely multitalented artists but the worst thing about them is that they don't know how to promote and when I say promote I'm talking about making a show like K-100 that talks about their functions, series, and interviews their actors and actresses instead of mixing a few of the news about their functions with a show that mostly talks about healthy, educational stuff which some are very interesting and useful but they need to make a separate show for their entertainment news. It's not like that won't benefit them because it'll help with promoting their series plus artists. They also need to make a singing show where their multitalented can show off their singing skills while playing an instrument. I know Ricky Chan Bo Yuen is the dancing king of ATV so maybe they can make it a show where their artists can show off talents that they can't show in series. I know for sure Benny Chan Chin Pang and Ben Cheung Ka Lun can both play the guitar and that Kenneth Chan is probably the best singer of ATV and probably several times better than any TVB actors. He probably knows an instrument too since he used to performance english songs of that group I forgot which one when he was in high school or college. They are just so many things they can do. Me and the other Benny Chan Chin Pang even got desperate enough to email what we thought to ATV and for me I even emailed them suggests for different series and shows and possible people they can try giving lead roles to. There has to be other people who also gets extremely frustrated when thinking about this issue. So here's a chance to tell us your feelings.

It's also sad to see how Kenneth Chan is the only person to have an album out while also being an ATV actor and to see how many of the ATV actors and actresses can singing but can't have an album out due to TVB's monopoly of the music industry. Someone like Crystal/Krystal Tin Yiu Lee(ex-ATV actress) can sing so professional and great yet still doesn't have her own album is unbelievable while her husband Chapman To who's also an ex-ATV actor who got famous after leaving ATV and doing comedy movies can get into Leon's AMusic company and has his own album when Crystal can sing like ten times better than him but still doesn't have the chance at that. I felt so dissapointed when I heard Chris Wong and Crystal Tin had a musical(script,songs, and costumes were all created by Chris Wong) and I couldn't go because I'd love to see her sing and act at the same time. The money for that musical went to a charity that isn't as well known too because there are many charities out there who aren't popular and don't know how to get other people to help them to raise more money. Those who didn't listen to Chris and Crystal's interview at rthk a while ago should really go listen to it, you'd know how nice Crystal is and how real she is, it wasn't boring and was just so interesting. I liked her even more after that interview and even liked Chris after that because I learned that he was multitalented too.

By the way Crystal or Krystal has joined TVB recently, I'm so happy cause ever since she left for movies I haven't seen her act. I miss her acting so much. I heard her sing for the musical Chris and she was in but that was it.

here's the link to watch her interview on EBuzz
    http://jade.tvb.com/ent/buzz/2006/10...eo/05_300k.asx

Come over here to http://asianfanatics.net/forum/Cryst...alk117197.html to talk more about her if you like her. Always knew there was a chance for her to join TVB since She was invited to many TVB shows and acted in a TVB version mv for Shawe Yue who's friends with her husband Chapman To. You can watch her in those shows and that MV over at youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
    w.hkatv.com/info/atvstar/06/

I am sick of it too... but the most major problem of ATV is not just promotion... but its instability, which comes from ownership problems throughout the years is what makes it hard to define its path. Speaking of promotion of artists... you should notice that in the last 5 to 6 years, there were a receding production rate. Is it really feasible for them to make a K-100 type of show, when they don't have enough new stuff to talk about each day?

Many of their functions for series most of the time aren't even aired. I mean have a show that interviews their actors and stuff is way better that have crappy news on their functions cause seriously most of their news on their website just tells who was there, not much about what happened. Since they can keep their news updated why not just make a entertainmen show that covers behind the scene stuff and have longer interviews with an actor outside or inside of ATV espeically those who have filmed a series with them. It's hard for their actors to gain fan and a bigger fan base when people don't know much about them. When it comes to actors audience tend to like them also mainly because of their personality as well. I mean if they have the money to make other variety shows, I'm sure they have money to make a simple entertainment news show.

I wish the execs made ATV a success in the 70's and 80's can all go back to ATV to lend a helping hand. Some are still around. They can really give TVB a run for their money back then.

ATV should also upgrade their equipment. Make the colors in the series as bright and sharp as TVB and Qiong Yau's series. Maybe then, TVB fans might give it a chance.

Agree that they should do more promotion. Make more news for their artist. Not neccessary bad or controvesial news. Just let the masses now what they are doing. I mean even Kevin, Ron and Ray going shopping also can be news.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I totally agree. ATV's downfall is that they don't give their actors/actresses enough recognition. It's no wonder that their series can sometimes have bad ratings. It's all about PROMOTION. Argh, when will they ever learn? I personally find that artists at ATV are more talented and better looking than some over-rated TVB artists. I'm a huge fan of Annie Man back when she was at ATV and the poor girl had to leave because she just wasn't getting exposure. And ironically, she is is always playing second fiddle to other "bigger" TVB stars now that she is with TVB. I also adore Gilbert Lam and he's been w/ ATV for soo long, but still, he's under-used and he's not getting the fame and the limelight that he rightfully deserves. It's a shame that ATV doesn't value their artists, a total shame!

And the problem with TVB is they promote the same group of stars over and over again and sometimes overpromote them to the point people get sick of these stars.

There are some underrated actors in TVB that TVB should be promoting because those actors deserve it but they're not even promoting those actors.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by AyaAsou
    I totally agree. ATV's downfall is that they don't give their actors/actresses enough recognition. It's no wonder that their series can sometimes have bad ratings. It's all about PROMOTION. Argh, when will they ever learn? I personally find that artists at ATV are more talented and better looking than some over-rated TVB artists. I'm a huge fan of Annie Man back when she was at ATV and the poor girl had to leave because she just wasn't getting exposure. And ironically, she is is always playing second fiddle to other "bigger" TVB stars now that she is with TVB. I also adore Gilbert Lam and he's been w/ ATV for soo long, but still, he's under-used and he's not getting the fame and the limelight that he rightfully deserves. It's a shame that ATV doesn't value their artists, a total shame!

When Annie Man and Gilbert Lam was over at TVB, Even TVB didn't promote them enough. Gilbert hardly got a leading role or even a role next to the leading role, he had a minor roles (well bigger than cameos but still) barely meaty roles.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I agree that some actors/ actresses are not being promoted as should be. It also sucks that there isn't enough promotion to make others like several of you mentioned already realizes these stars are worth the support, etc. But I must say that at least when they cast roles in series - either short or long ones, the roles are just right - unlike TVB's recent series that just throw a bunch of people together just for the sake of the series so you see the same people over and over in the series - from main to minor cast. Sometimes you see the same team for ATV too but it's essential since series that have sequels like MDWAV should have consistent cast throughout, especially main people.

I agree with Suet Seung though that Gilbert and Annie weren't as promoted in TVB as ATV. 'Cause Annie gets numerous main roles and some supported roles where it is needed and Gilbert even get main roles that are likeable in series. 'Cause honestly I didn't like Gilbert when watching Angels Of Mission - had him cast as such a jerk. But when watching ATV's recent series "HK Criminal Files", he was awesome in there as the detective for one of the cases. And Kenneth Chan didn't get that much exposure, i.e. I didn't even know he played Doan Chi Binh in the ROCH '95 until later and didn't even know Benny Chan Chin Pang used to be in TVB like until they're in ATV. *shrugs* So I guess although ATV does a slow promotion with people getting main roles but at least they get there and not like TVB kept promoting people who are so *ugh* or not ready to get so much attention yet.

Ok, except for Alice Chan in SIR and TTOG. She's a way better actress since the first few series that she starred in as of now but back then it's like *ugh* at least in my opinion. She gets more challenging roles nowadays too, hinting at MDWAVIII.

*Edit*:
    After going to the TTOG, I had to double-back and discuss some more. Another great example with ATV isn't that bad w/ promoting ppl - Stephen Au got some lead roles in ATV but the only cool role that he actually got was in Angels Of Mission as Wallace Lee. Not sure about other series but they kept casting him as the bad guy. He's not everyone's favorite but I thought he deserves more promoting than some others who can barely act, i.e. Joe Ma.
    Last edited by DTLCT; 04-04-07 at 08:08 PM.

i think pinky cheung is really good. alice got way better, i used to hate her as much as charimaine sheh.. but now shes like a younger version of anita mui. still hate that charmaine sheh chick.
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://members.aol.com/xsol4realx/private/ltv.jpg'), '')

Default does anyone else hate how atv dont promote their actors/actresses?

i hate how they waste so many of their talents. ppl like erica choi, joey meng, cystal tin, chapman to etc etc hardly gets promoted, thats why more of them leaves atv and become famous elsewhere, they are such good talents too. gilbert lam and patrick tam are the only exception. they keep promoting new actors/actresses for like 1-2 series and stop and use a new actor/actress and stop. no wonder they could never beat tvb.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

People leave TVB too...and it's usually a money factor because Mainland is willing to dish out a lot. But in general, I think the acting in ATV is often better than TVB. They have way too many young people at TVB with mediocre acting skills that they're madly trying to promote.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    i hate how they waste so many of their talents. ppl like erica choi, joey meng, cystal tin, chapman to etc etc hardly gets promoted, thats why more of them leaves atv and become famous elsewhere, they are such good talents too. gilbert lam and patrick tam are the only exception. they keep promoting new actors/actresses for like 1-2 series and stop and use a new actor/actress and stop. no wonder they could never beat tvb.
    omg lunar! u r sooo right!!! i actuali like atv better than tvb but they dun get promoted very well erica choi, joey meng, chapman to, lawrence yan, kenneth chan r soooo good but not as famous as tvb stars what a waste
    大爺來了﹗

想唱就唱, 唱得向亮! 力揚加油

MAGIC SHOOTER HISASHI MITSUI!

i know... at one point, atv even had sheren tang! but they never used her well and only let her lead in "my date with spring"
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

There's already a thread similar to this:
    http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=18136

Yeah I hate how ATV actors have to pretty much be in their 30's before they are given big time roles. What happened to the glory days of the early 1980's when young stars such as Alex Man, Michelle Yim, Candice Yu, Ng Wai Kwok, Amy Chan, and Leslie Cheung were actually consistently given good roles. Promoting young actors actually got ATV somewhere back in those days (ATV I heard was actually competitive against TVB). Their new formula of hiring big name actors (i.e. Amy Kwok, Deanie Ip, Patrick Tam) on a series by series basis has proven not to work.
    These days, it seems like ATV would be lucky if their "grand productions" get half the ratings of one of TVB's warehouse (very low production or really bad) series. Message to ATV - "If it ain't working change it. Go back to what actually worked."

Not 100% sure on the history of the ratings battle between ATV and TVB. Can anyone tell me exactly when did ATV stopped being competitive? Was it the mid -80's on (defection of that damned Alex Man)?

What's up with Alex Man and his two bit part in ROCH 1983 right after his defection? Wasn't he the #1 actor at ATV prior? What about Kenneth Tsang - he was a lead at ATV as well prior to his defection, but he barely had a speaking role in DGSD 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywu View Post
    Yeah I hate how ATV actors have to pretty much be in their 30's before they are given big time roles. What happened to the glory days of the early 1980's when young stars such as Alex Man, Michelle Yim, Candice Yu, Ng Wai Kwok, Amy Chan, and Leslie Cheung were actually consistently given good roles. Promoting young actors actually got ATV somewhere back in those days (ATV I heard was actually competitive against TVB). Their new formula of hiring big name actors (i.e. Amy Kwok, Deanie Ip, Patrick Tam) on a series by series basis has proven not to work.
    These days, it seems like ATV would be lucky if their "grand productions" get half the ratings of one of TVB's warehouse (very low production or really bad) series. Message to ATV - "If it ain't working change it. Go back to what actually worked."

Not 100% sure on the history of the ratings battle between ATV and TVB. Can anyone tell me exactly when did ATV stopped being competitive? Was it the mid -80's on (defection of that damned Alex Man)?

What's up with Alex Man and his two bit part in ROCH 1983 right after his defection? Wasn't he the #1 actor at ATV prior? What about Kenneth Tsang - he was a lead at ATV as well prior to his defection, but he barely had a speaking role in DGSD 1982.
    I agree!

The 80s was the time for ATV. But now their methods are proven unaffective and eventually DAMAGING to their own company. Its a real shame.

I wish they would repromote those actors and actresses in the 80s and 90s who can actually act. Actors and Actresses such as Amy Chan Sau Man, Kenneth Chan, etc.

I really miss those actors and actresses, and if they do get promoted, I would grantee they'll bring back alot of longing fans out there. Much like myself.

yes i totally agree with all of yo, i don't get it to y do they do that

ATV has really gone downhill these past few years. I really miss their good series like "Secret Battle of the Majesties", "Central Affairs" and "Heroine of the Yangs." They need to re-evaluate priorities and somehow find the revenue to pay their actors/actresses well and promote their series.

They had some of the BEST stars in their series (ie: Erica Choi, Gilbert Lam, Annie Man, Stephen Au) and now....I don't even know if anyone who *can* act is still with them. Truly, it's a shame.