Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: LoCH BOOK 3

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    No, thanks. I'll stick around to see this project completed and then I'll be off.

I've decided to stop translating completely after Chapter 28, but I'd never resist answering any physics questions.
    Sigh! And another one bites the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Single Whip
    This project and the Wuxia RPG2 you mean. Or has that also been cancelled?
    The RPG should end within 2 weeks.

To JamesG:
    I'll try to translate some of the more interesting excerpts in HSDS, but I won't finish HSDS at my present speed, so I might as well not attempt it. Unless Foxs steps in.

Default OOH!

How nice? Inciting people? Cheap trick! I hate him!
    I am living in exile, waiting for a little ray of hope to bring me back to where I belong.

Great Translation! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacifian
    foxs_, you are *incredible*. You really are.
    Aww … you are saying that because you want to read the whole thing in one go.

IcyFox, I will never be able to match your speed of one chapter a week. Let me share something that might be beneficial to some of you (if you don't want to read some crap, just skip this part and go to the story below):

Many, many moons ago, when the buffalo was still roaming the plains I attended a Dale Carnegie seminar in which the instructor talked about ‘mini times’ (time that otherwise will be wasted while we are waiting for something or someone else). And that’s what I did. I take my text with me almost everywhere, for instance, while waiting in the doctor’s office, or caught in traffic jam. Sometimes I only have time to read a sentence, and while the traffic is flowing again I think about that sentence; how to translate that into English. No, I am not an expert in translation; I am slower than IcyFox, and am busy with work and family, but by using those mini-times I was able to translate quite a bit.

James, I am thinking of retiring after this LoCH. I have another thing I need to accomplish. But if (and only IF) nobody else is doing it (last time I heard IcyFox wants to finish HSDS single-handedly ), and I am done with that thing, I might tackle it, so you’ll have your wish: the complete condor (uh … I mean, ‘eagle’ … ahem … ) trilogy. Please forgive my ignorance, but just how much is left from HSDS? Can anybody give me detailed information?

Default Chapter 25 – Part 12

Last edited by foxs; 02-06-07 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Moved to LoCH Unabridged

Quote Originally Posted by foxs_
    IcyFox, I will never be able to match your speed of one chapter a week.
    That's a thing of the past. My present speed is closer to 2 chapters per year.

I don't remember ever considering completing HSDS all by myself because there's A LOT of it left. Maybe during our RoCH times, perhaps.

For HSDS, Chapters 13 - 19, 23 - 30 and the whole Book 4 remains undone. In all, we're looking at a trifling 65% incomplete work.

And don't ask me about Zhaomin.org. I plainly don't know what's going on there.

Aww … you are saying that because you want to read the whole thing in one go.
    Who wouldn't?

But really, you are very fast and scrupulous in your work. This, I must say.

James, I am thinking of retiring after this LoCH.
    Noooooooooooo....................

Of course, if you have really decided, nobody could stop you. But at least spare a lil' thought for the hungry, dying faces of the uncountable mass of people out there. Your retirement would be a great loss to the wuxia community.

Anyway, you deserve a good break after this chapter.

Your retirement would be a great loss to the wuxia community.
    As yours will be. Now there's only you and Huang YuShi left to balance the Force in the Wuxia Fiction forum. I believe you're potentially better than the other guys there like Ken, Candide, PJ, CC, etc.

Sigh... I came at a time when all the big names were retiring or had retired - Kenny, Lav, Athena, Moin, Noodles - while you're simply too late to catch any noteworthy action.

It seems we need to recruit some new translators to tackle HSDS. Maybe some people out might want to secretly tackle a chapter and see how it goes. [Using the third edition would be great] If we don't know about it we can't pressure you. Hmmmm?
    Last edited by JamesG; 01-27-07 at 10:21 PM.

Of course, if you have really decided, nobody could stop you. But at least spare a lil' thought for the hungry, dying faces of the uncountable mass of people out there. Your retirement would be a great loss to the wuxia community.
    I didn't say that I have decided, did I?

For HSDS, Chapters 13 - 19, 23 - 30 and the whole Book 4 remains undone. In all, we're looking at a trifling 65% incomplete work.

... I came at a time when all the big names were retiring or had retired ...
    What do you mean? That I am not one of those big names?

Seriously, I like translating wuxia, so much so that I used almost all my spare time translating. But I have reservation in continuing with HSDS, because one, IcyFox was right, I am NOT one of those big names. Heck, I can't even provide the reference Han Solo requested. I know I can research the web, but how can I do that if all my time is spent translating? Two, I don't want to steal all the credits. Three, I need to do something personal that I've postponed because of this project.

I am willing to continue with HSDS, but if IcyFox's info was acurate, we still have 25 chapters to go. I know I can tackle this project, the question is: when?

BTW, I suddenly remember Squeegee. Are you still around? Do you want to spearhead this project? Perhaps we will be able to persuade IcyFox to join the team?

Bottom line: Pacifian, James, don't despair yet. If by the time I can free up some of my time in the future still nobody step in, then I might.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG
    If we don't know about it we can't pressure you.
    The problem is: how do you avoid overlap?

I didn't say that I have decided, did I?

Seriously, I like translating wuxia, so much so that I used almost all my spare time translating. But I have reservation in continuing with HSDS, because one, IcyFox was right, I am NOT one of those big names. Heck, I can't even provide the reference Han Solo requested. I know I can research the web, but how can I do that if all my time is spent translating? Two, I don't want to steal all the credits. Three, I need to do something personal that I've postponed because of this project.

I am willing to continue with HSDS, but if IcyFox's info was acurate, we still have 25 chapters to go. I know I can tackle this project, the question is: when?

BTW, I suddenly remember Squeegee. Are you still around? Do you want to spearhead this project? Perhaps we will be able to persuade IcyFox to join the team?

Bottom line: Pacifian, James, don't despair yet. If by the time I can free up some of my time in the future still nobody step in, then I might.

The problem is: how do you avoid overlap?

Foxs,

What do you mean you are not a big name???

You and your team are the biggest contributor to the forum in recent months.

Regarding the references, don't worry about it, it can always be added later on.
    And i apologize for not helping out. Perhaps James can help to add it in later when he's editing it.

Regarding the HSDS, if you want to do it, and find that you still enjoy translating it, then give it a try.

The main thing is that all our translators remain happy to translate. Even a small paragraph is a boon and joy to us all readers.

Translating is hard. Doing a good translation is harder, especially when one tries to incorporate the chinese idioms and the author's intention into the translation (as per my short lived attempt to even translate a paragraph ).

Again, taking this opportunity to thank all the translators in the team that translated the LOCH/ROCH.

Han Solo

When I first joined, you were not one yet, and neither was I.

But in time you will be remembered as someone who was on the same plane as Noodles.

As for HSDS, I won't try to promise much nowadays because I make it a point to keep my word. So the less I say, the 'safer' it is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Regarding the references, don't worry about it, it can always be added later on.
    And i apologize for not helping out. Perhaps James can help to add it in later when he's editing it.
    Guys, you don't have to be good at everything to be a "Big Name". Noodles was a Big Name here but he rarely visited the Wuxia Fiction forum. Kenny was a Big Name because he can debate really well. Han is probably a Big Name as a doctor here too.

And as for such matters (like the references), can't we trust our resident scholar Huang YuShi to help? Isn't he a Big Name himself?

And as for such matters (like the references), can't we trust our resident scholar Huang YuShi to help? Isn't he a Big Name himself?
    Speaking of HYS, i believe that he has had some rough draft of the HSDS chapters already.......

So PM him before starting the HSDS translation campaign.

Han Solo

Well to put it simply I'm new here, so both of you guys are on a higher plane to me than any of the other old-school translators...and the friends that I've been recently asking to check out this site think the same way.

I am NOT one of those big names.
    Names are all but an optical illusion
    ~Some Buddhist Scripture

Which is right. They are a mere plus. The fact that you placed in so much more effort than these big names and genuinely and sincerely and tirelessly worked so hard for the five-figure (or six-figure) amount of viewers out there, this is in itself an extremely great effort. For that, I (shamelessly) represent the lot of LOCH readers and salute you for your HUGE contribution.

Big names hardly reflect how great you are, it's the effort done really.

PS. Partly what made me decide to translate DGSD was after seeing you guys work so hard, maybe I should chip in a part too (Besides DGSD was cool ). Of course, I'm not that noble; I've got my own selfish reasons

Heck, I can't even provide the reference Han Solo requested. I know I can research the web, but how can I do that if all my time is spent translating?
    The last thing you should worry about. Like what Han Solo said, something out there could help chip in. Besides, nobody in their sane mind would complain about this after seeing you work so hard.

Two, I don't want to steal all the credits.
    Don't worry about that. Nobody will label you as some attention-seeking chap or anything. Cause we know you aren't. I'm sure we all recognise the contributions made from each translator, and that this translation work is purely voluntary; you don't get much from it.

That said, a HUGE thanks to EVERY translator AND editor who had made a contribution to EVERY Wuxia novel.

Three, I need to do something personal that I've postponed because of this project.
    There. Take a well-deserved break. Enjoy life and occasionally chip in some bit of effort.

After LOCH? Just suggesting.

Names are all but an optical illusion
    Nicely put. Summarizes your point.

~Some Buddhist Scripture
    * Rolls eyes *

Well, thanks for the compliment guys. We'll see about HSDS when the time comes. But, Pacifian, I don't think so soon after LoCH though. I still have to do that thing I mentioned about yesterday. In any case, if Huang Yushi or anybody else is planning on tackling this novel, please let me know, so that when I have some spare time and I am bored with everything else I can always start translating bits and pieces.

Since we are talking about the other novels of the trilogy, how is our project to host the pdf of the completed RoCH for the public? Icy, Disrupt, Unlimited, Vane, ChronoReverse, James? (Anybody I missed?) If you guys have not decided on the format, how about just use my plain page on Unlimited's site? And then others would have the opportunity to improve on that in the future?

Default Chapter 25 – Part 13

Last edited by foxs; 02-06-07 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Moved to LoCH Unabridged