Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: LoCH BOOK 3

I think the discussion have made it clear how difficult it is to translate and appreciate the works of foxs_ and JamesG and the rest of the team even more.

Frankly, I didn't even blink when reading the translation because I think the intent of the author has been capture very well. The other thing is done well is the capture of each of the characters' personality through the language that is used. For example for HR, her style seems to be more playful yet intelligent while with Guo Jing, it is the more simple language.

Quote Originally Posted by overjoy71 View Post
    I think the discussion have made it clear how difficult it is to translate and appreciate the works of foxs_ and JamesG and the rest of the team even more.

Frankly, I didn't even blink when reading the translation because I think the intent of the author has been capture very well. The other thing is done well is the capture of each of the characters' personality through the language that is used. For example for HR, her style seems to be more playful yet intelligent while with Guo Jing, it is the more simple language.
    I hope when the edited version is completed you'll go to the Reading Room and re-read the book [and may ROCH] and like it [them] even more.. Then we'll all know our work was worth it.
    Last edited by JamesG; 05-14-07 at 10:20 PM.

JamesG, you can guarantee I will be back in the reading room.. Re-reading the novels again LoCH and RoCH, in one (maybe two) sittings.. lol

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

keep up the good work foxs..i wonder if any of the 4 disciples will attack GJ?
    "The most happy marriage I can picture or imagine would be union of a deaf man to a blind woman."

Quote Originally Posted by overjoy71 View Post
    JamesG, you can guarantee I will be back in the reading room.. Re-reading the novels again LoCH and RoCH, in one (maybe two) sittings.. lol
    I totally agree.

Thank you so much for all your response in this grammatical/structure/syntax, whatever you call it, discussion. As I noted earlier, neither English nor Chinese is my first language, so I have never claimed that I am an expert in either one of those languages. What got me into translating LoCH was ... no one else at that time seemed to be willing. I enjoyed the translation works in this forum tremendously so I wanted to contribute something back to the wuxia community. Anyway, after some discussion (via pm with some of you, including our lead editor, James) here is what I suggest:

I still welcome corrections/criticisms for blatant errors, be it language-wise, or story-wise. I am the first to admit that sometimes I don't understand the meaning of certain characters; I simply translated them in context of the sentence, so my translation will NOT be word for word. However, if you can still tolerate my translation, i.e. you did not even 'blink' when reading it (granted, your threshold might be different from KChill and Overjoy); please refrain from posting your comment in this thread. James and I invite you to join the team of editors in the LoCH Chapter correction instead.

Default Chapter 30 – Part 6

Moved to Chapter 30 - Reverend Yideng
    Last edited by foxs; 05-19-07 at 10:52 AM.

It finished so quick. I was just starting to enjoy.

I bet our wonderful translator must be getting tired..a bit like yideng the pace of the translation is so fast...please take as many of those jade pills as u require...prerogatives of a translator!! and of course lots of rest....

Kowtowing here

Oh shoot... I just remembered something from the TV show...

Quote Originally Posted by foxs_ View Post
    However, if you can still tolerate my translation, i.e. you did not even 'blink' when reading it (granted, your threshold might be different from KChill and Overjoy); please refrain from posting your comment in this thread. James and I invite you to join the team of editors in the LoCH Chapter correction instead.

Wouldn't that make it like the Unabridged thread? It seems like my opinion defers much from Foxs' in this matter. Is it?

No, what I meant was: if it is obvious error, of course I want feedback ASAP so I can take necessary action to rectify that. But if it is only minor (usage of 'the' over 'a', for example), then I think it will be better to post it on the correction thread. You know, without any intention to belittle the readers' corrections, I can't say that the readers are always right. Some of those corrections are questionable; I mean, I did not see anything wrong with my structure. Again, I am not a native English speaker, but where I live, people won't scold me if I say or write the way I did.

And no, the Unabridged won't have ANY comments, not even giving ChronoReverse a way to tease me, because I have never seen the TV show he mentioned.

Getting kind of exciting now.....but I wanted to see Gwok Jing take down all 4 of the disciples....

Quote Originally Posted by foxs_ View Post
    No, what I meant was: if it is obvious error, of course I want feedback ASAP so I can take necessary action to rectify that. But if it is only minor (usage of 'the' over 'a', for example), then I think it will be better to post it on the correction thread. You know, without any intention to belittle the readers' corrections, I can't say that the readers are always right. Some of those corrections are questionable; I mean, I did not see anything wrong with my structure. Again, I am not a native English speaker, but where I live, people won't scold me if I say or write the way I did.

And no, the Unabridged won't have ANY comments, not even giving ChronoReverse a way to tease me, because I have never seen the TV show he mentioned.
    Well said sir.
    WARNING: The corrections thread is ONLY for the currently posted chapter which will change after Bangs and dgfds01 [and anyone else] have posted their corrections. Restrict yourself to that chapter.

sweet...more translations . Thnx foxs

After this segment I think my preception of 1YZ and 1Deng went up a notch.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    Well said sir.
    WARNING: The corrections thread is ONLY for the currently posted chapter which will change after Bangs and dgfds01 [and anyone else] have posted their corrections. Restrict yourself to that chapter.
    James,

May i suggest that the correction thread be used for any editing purposes - regardless of the chapter.

This may be difficult or messy for the editing team, but it would make it easier for all the readers and posters in the forum.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Thumbs up

I am watching the old 80's version of LoCH, while reading the translation here. This translation is spoiling it for me in a good way.

I used to love watching that series, but reading this translation, I see so many faults in the TV series. This translation brings so much more colour, logic and depth into the story that is not captured in the series. So to Foxs_ and Wizard and the team, AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    James,

May i suggest that the correction thread be used for any editing purposes - regardless of the chapter.

This may be difficult or messy for the editing team, but it would make it easier for all the readers and posters in the forum.

Han Solo
    Hey Doc,
    How bout we use my 'I need your input...' thread as the free-for-all rock'em sock'em thread and let the strong opinions 'fall where they may'? Then you, as Moderator, can use your 'Soul Freezing Needles' and Silver Dragon Whip to keep order.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    Hey Doc,
    How bout we use my 'I need your input...' thread as the free-for-all rock'em sock'em thread and let the strong opinions 'fall where they may'? Then you, as Moderator, can use your 'Soul Freezing Needles' and Silver Dragon Whip to keep order.

Feel free to do what you need to do.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

While I was putting up chapters 14 and 15 in the Reading Room I decided to post the rest of the chapter titles, pictures and captions. Now I'll go back to work on chapter 21.