Thread: Change suggestions

Default Change suggestions

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to spend quite some time the next few months and into next year revamping the whole website. In general, one of the major changes will include merging our two databases (the forum and main review site) into one so that single registration and signon is possible. Another is creating foundation content for all productions so that members can comment/rate on something even if a review does not exist for it.

While this is happening, I'd love to hear some suggestions or new ideas that members might have for the site too and if the idea is good, it may be incorporated. So if you have any gripes with any current feature or thought that the site would be even more enjoyable with a new feature/section, don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks!
    -SC

I was thinking it would be neat if we had a separate translations section. I know there's one within the wuxia section, but it would be nice to have one for other types of novels, stories, poems, etc...just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    I was thinking it would be neat if we had a separate translations section. I know there's one within the wuxia section, but it would be nice to have one for other types of novels, stories, poems, etc...just a thought.
    Provided that we're not stepping into any copyright infringement.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Lol, but I noticed that Spcnet has translations for Qiong Yao novels. As long as we credit the source, it should be okay? Though I recall a wuxia author, Louis Cha? can't remember had something against people translating his works and it had to be taken off.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Will we have to create new accounts when the two sites are merged?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i11.tinypic.com/2vbppj8.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    Nope, you will not have to. It will just link up the two systems so that if you are only registered on one, you will automatically be able to use the functionalities of the other. So if you are only registered on the forum and wanted to submit a review, you won't need to register separately on the review site. Vice versa for if you are only registered on the review site but not the forum.
    -SC

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    I'm considering shutting down the translations section since it is stepping on copyright even though they are fan translations. Actually, this will probably take place or be limited.
    -SC

Would it be possible to get spoiler tags?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i11.tinypic.com/2vbppj8.jpg')
    TommyH wants one of the XF from DGSD96

:]

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet
    I'm considering shutting down the translations section since it is stepping on copyright even though they are fan translations. Actually, this will probably take place or be limited.
    That wouldn't be such a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet
    SPC.

No lawyer myself, but translations of literature cannot really be considered as copyright violation as long as:-
    1) No commercial use is intended
    2) The author does not assert his right of work in a different language.

FlyingFox should be able to clarify things for us.

It would be a pity to close the wuxia translation forum, being that:-
    1) it is probably the best wuxia translation collection on the internet
    2) Sentimental reasons- i spend hours and hours on that part of the site.

Yours,
    Han Solo

The wuxia translation forum will probably be kept intact but there might be measures taken to limit that forum to be viewable only to logged in members.

What I do mean to take down is the Reading Room section on the main site. I will of course look into IP laws first and see if it violates any before action and if anyone is an expert or knows something about that area, please offer some advice.
    -SC

Please let us know of the copyright laws that we might possibly be violating.

I'm sure there'll be some of us here who can help sort out the matter.

I'm not an intellectual property expert but I'll have a crack at an answer.

First of all, which country is Spcnet hosted in? I have no clue what .tv means. Copyright law varies according to country.

According to US copyright law, a translation is a derivative work, based on an original, copyrighted work.

From a US Copyright Office webpage http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.html
    Derivative works, also known as “new versions,” include such works as translations, musical arrangements, dramatizations, fictionalizations, art reproductions, and condensations.
    As for who has translation rights:
    Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create, a new version of that work. The owner is generally the author or someone who has obtained rights from the author.
    Either Jin Yong or the publishing company should own the copyright. I think it's more likely to be Jin Yong. So it seems that we cannot legally translate his works without his (or the company's) permission. The same applies to Gu Long (his heirs), Liang Yusheng etc.

That's just for the US though. I have no idea if translations are considered derivative works in other countries. Also, there as to whether the novels are copyrighted in a particular country.

Anyway, assuming that the translations were legally made (not in breach of copyright), then the translators are the copyright holders.

Then does anyone know if Jin Yong et al. have registered his/their works in the US?