View Poll Results: Yang Guo with Heavy Sword vs Sweeper Monk

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yang Guo with Heavy Sword wins

    11 16.92%
  • Sweeper monk wins

    54 83.08%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 102

Thread: Yang Guo+Heavy Iron Sword vs Sweeper Monk

  1. #61
    Senior Member IcyFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    4,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    After a haircut and a shave, this thread is back in business.

    IcyFox and Rong: please affirm that posts were deleted from this thread at user request so that nobody starts screaming "censorship."
    Sounds like the Contract of the Soul... Dangerous, but I'll sign it anyway.

  2. #62
    Senior Member Bai Qi44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Kingdom of Qin
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    Lets leave DBZ characters out of this. :/

    Hmmm.... Odd. Why was my reply to your post deleted, but your post wasn't.

    Anyway, I'll say it again cause I don't think you've seen it yet. This was what I posted the last time before it got deleted.

    Huh??? I'm guessing you didn't click on the link cause it had nothing to do with DBZ characters. Antares and our Sun are stars. They are not DBZ characters.
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 11-05-06 at 05:51 AM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

    http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

  3. #63
    Senior Member yittz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    Hmmm.... Odd. Why was my reply to your post deleted, but your post wasn't.

    Anyway, I'll say it again cause I don't think you've seen it yet. This was what I posted the last time before it got deleted.

    Huh??? I'm guessing you didn't click on the link cause it had nothing to do with DBZ characters. Antares and our Sun are stars. They are not DBZ characters.
    LOL, I know. You didn't get the joke where I am refering to planets as Wuxia characters, and stars as some DBZ characters, indicative to their power.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

    Member of TC fanclub.

  4. #64
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    LOL, I know. You didn't get the joke where I am refering to planets as Wuxia characters, and stars as some DBZ characters, indicative to their power.
    That thread has gone here guys.

    I renamed it the "Sailor Moon Debate Thread." I thought you guys were discussing SAILOR MOON. Guess not.

    If you guys can explain to me in twenty words or fewer what you're talking about, I can rename it and reassign it properly.

  5. #65
    Senior Member yittz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    That thread has gone here guys.

    I renamed it the "Sailor Moon Debate Thread." I thought you guys were discussing SAILOR MOON. Guess not.

    If you guys can explain to me in twenty words or fewer what you're talking about, I can rename it and reassign it properly.
    It's ok delete it. Irrelevant to anything. Just using Bai's astronomy interest to parady this thread.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

    Member of TC fanclub.

  6. #66
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    It's ok delete it. Irrelevant to anything. Just using Bai's astronomy interest to parady this thread.
    OK. More posts to disappear.

    This has been the Wuxia Forum equivalent of a drunken lost weekend so far.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Ardor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Zealand right now...
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    That thread has gone here guys.

    I renamed it the "Sailor Moon Debate Thread." I thought you guys were discussing SAILOR MOON. Guess not.

    If you guys can explain to me in twenty words or fewer what you're talking about, I can rename it and reassign it properly.
    I love how we perceive Rennaisance artists as ninja turtles, and planets as Sailor Moon. A little off topic... But seriously, what is there to add to this? There is no way in heck that Yang kind would be able to put up any resistance to the almighty Dugu Qiubai who became a monk.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Athena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    郭靖站起身来,哈哈一笑,说道:蓉儿,咱们行事但求无傀于天、无愧于心。为抗蒙古,帮手越多越好。这武林 盟主嘛,是谁当都一样。再说,邪不能胜正,这干人若是真有歹意,咱们便跟他们周旋一场,你的打狗棒法和我的降龙十八掌倒有十多年没动了呢,也未必就不管事了。
    Translation of that underlined part: Your Dog Beating Stick and my Dragon 18 Subdueing Palm hasn't been touched for 10+ Years.
    This quote from chapter 35 doesn't exactly give me the impression that GJ trained a lot....
    Again, I'm not saying that GJ didn't train, but I'm saying he barely trained and that his progress was MUCH slower than he if did train without all the Mongols and country stuff in his mind. And therefore, that is also part of the reason why GJ was never able to take that commanding lead over the other Greats. In addition, don't forget that the other Greats don't have GJ's burden of defending the country. Yideng and HYS were just out in jianghu. So GJ being busy and still maintaining a minor lead actually is still pretty impressive. And this just further strengthened by claim that if GJ did actually have the time to spend training, his lead over the other Greats should be significant.

    That sentence was a reference that they never used those two arts in combat anymore. Not that they have stopped training those arts, use logic man!
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

    Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    still..... I can't imagine GJ training as much with all the Mongol mess to worry about. In addition, my point was that GJ achieved a level far inferior that he could have.
    As said from the WCY example, having to worry about the country severly takes time away and limits your progress. That is why LCY was able to get an advantage.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出一阳指功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的一阳指功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

  10. #70
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    still..... I can't imagine GJ training as much with all the Mongol mess to worry about.
    I don't know. From the point of view to day-to-day activities, just how much of Gwok Jing's time and attention was consumed by defending Seung Yeung Fortress? It's not like the Mongols were attacking the city every day. Those sixteen years, in fact, were probably relatively peaceful. My impression is that the last battle we saw in ROCH was the first major attack on Seung Yeung in years.

  11. #71
    Senior Member Bangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Home sweet home
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I don't know. From the point of view to day-to-day activities, just how much of Gwok Jing's time and attention was consumed by defending Seung Yeung Fortress? It's not like the Mongols were attacking the city every day. Those sixteen years, in fact, were probably relatively peaceful. My impression is that the last battle we saw in ROCH was the first major attack on Seung Yeung in years.
    Even if there were no frequent attacks, the fact is that XY is in danger every day. So GJ must always be on alert as long as the war is going on. He can't just wake up one random morning and decide its a safe day to train and neglect the city's defenses. I'd bet GJ spends a lot of time training soldiers and ensuring everything is in order everyday of his life in XY. He wasn't even able to roam Jianghu nor able to save GX when she was kidnapped by JLFW. He was so busy that HR didn't get pregnant any more.

  12. #72
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    Even if there were no frequent attacks, the fact is that XY is in danger every day. So GJ must always be on alert as long as the war is going on. He can't just wake up one random morning and decide its a safe day to train and neglect the city's defenses. I'd bet GJ spends a lot of time training soldiers and ensuring everything is in order everyday of his life in XY. He wasn't even able to roam Jianghu nor able to save GX when she was kidnapped by JLFW. He was so busy that HR didn't get pregnant any more.
    There were days for training troops and discussing strategy with generals, and then there were probably LOTS of days where there wasn't much to do except stand on top of the city wall and look out towards the horizon for signs of trouble. During those slow days, why *not* practice martial arts while waiting for trouble to show up (or not)? The martial arts that Gwok Jing practiced didn't require him to seal himself off in a secret chamber for months at a time.

  13. #73
    Senior Member Bangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Home sweet home
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    There were days for training troops and discussing strategy with generals, and then there were probably LOTS of days where there wasn't much to do except stand on top of the city wall and look out towards the horizon for signs of trouble. During those slow days, why *not* practice martial arts while waiting for trouble to show up (or not)? The martial arts that Gwok Jing practiced didn't require him to seal himself off in a secret chamber for months at a time.
    I didn't say GJ didn't train. Because GJ was busy most of the time, he had lesser time to train thus he could've been a whole lot more stronger if only he didn't defend XY. Alas, he would never abandon XY because that's the way he is.

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    yep, Bangs hit my point. Like Bang said, I'm not saying GJ completly gave up on training, I'm just saying that by having the task of defending XY, his progress that could have been achieved was severly hindered. If GJ didn't have the Mongols in the back of his mind, his level surely could have been much higher and probably significantly higher than the Greats.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出一阳指功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的一阳指功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

  15. #75
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    yep, Bangs hit my point. Like Bang said, I'm not saying GJ completly gave up on training, I'm just saying that by having the task of defending XY, his progress that could have been achieved was severly hindered. If GJ didn't have the Mongols in the back of his mind, his level surely could have been much higher and probably significantly higher than the Greats.
    I think that the five New Greats who were christened at the summit of Mt. Hua had pretty much hit the ceiling of their martial arts and weren't going to improve much more. Aside from freak cases such as the Janitor Monk and Hui Juk, the ROCH Greats level seemed to be about the peak level of human martial arts that could be achieved by natural means. So many great fighters reached this level and could go no higher. There must be a reason.

  16. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    well, that is our point there. Because 9 Yin/9 Yang has unlimited growth, GJ and ZWJ could continue to grow in internal. However, what I'm saying is that because GJ has all the country mess to worry about, his progress of unlimited growth was hindered. Don't forget, the other Greats didn't have much to do except to train and walk all around. If GJ was also given the oppurtunity to train more and relax more, his 9 Yin unlimited growth would have propelled him at least considereably stronger than the Greats.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出一阳指功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的一阳指功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

  17. #77
    Member CheungKafai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    上海滩
    Posts
    161

    Question

    why is sweeper monk considered so invincible?? i keep seeing his name pop up , at the top of some lists rankin JY characters..

    why is he so powerful that yang guo or anyone else stands no chance against him?????
    无名小卒

  18. #78
    Senior Member Extremer88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    LOHAH - Land of Honour & Happiness
    Posts
    2,405

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by CheungKafai
    why is sweeper monk considered so invincible?? i keep seeing his name pop up , at the top of some lists rankin JY characters..

    why is he so powerful that yang guo or anyone else stands no chance against him?????
    Because he's just that damn good.
    ..ext88

  19. #79
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I think that the five New Greats who were christened at the summit of Mt. Hua had pretty much hit the ceiling of their martial arts and weren't going to improve much more. Aside from freak cases such as the Janitor Monk and Hui Juk, the ROCH Greats level seemed to be about the peak level of human martial arts that could be achieved by natural means. So many great fighters reached this level and could go no higher. There must be a reason.
    That might have been dictated by the LOCH/ROCH plot line but I don't quite agree with it being a general rule. Maybe more the result of a geometric difficulty curve rather then an absolute ceiling.

    Excluding Bei Ming cheaters, we still have potentially, people like DGKB, TSTL/LQS, SPT and DFBB who can be argued to be better. And what if XF lived till 60 or had access to other skills?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  20. #80
    Registered User JamesG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    Because he's just that damn good.
    Maybe the trick is in meditating and having no ego to speak of. I think he even have regreted using his skills even tho cicumstances required their use.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-06-18, 09:21 AM
  2. Replies: 93
    Last Post: 11-10-06, 11:43 AM
  3. Heavy iron sword
    By duguxiaojing in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-04, 05:40 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-04, 04:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •