Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List of really sickening things thats happened in wuxia novels.

Default List of really sickening things thats happened in wuxia novels.

Well in ancient times I have come upon numerous texts with disturbing information of serving the flesh a person is a great honour... like for example in romance of the three kingdoms:

One day they sought shelter at a house whence a youth came out and made a low obeisance. They asked his name and he gave it as Liu An, of a well known family of hunters. Hearing who the visitor was, the hunter wished to lay before him a dish of game, but though he sought for a long time, nothing could be found for the table. So Liu An came home, killed his wife and prepared a portion for his guest.

While eating Liu Bei asked, "What flesh is it?"

Liu An told him: "Wolf."

Liu Bei knew no better and ate his fill. Next day at daylight, just as Liu Bei was leaving, he went to the stables in the rear to get his horse and passing through the kitchen; he saw the dead body of a woman lying on the table. The flesh of one arm had been cut away. Quite startled he asked what this meant, and then he knew what he had eaten the night before. He was deeply sorry at this proof of his host's regard and the tears rained down as he mounted his steed at the gate.....Liu Bei thanked him and went his way......

When Liu Bei told him of the hunter who had sacrificed his wife to feed them, Cao Cao sent the hunter a present of a hundred ounces of silver as a reward

To me that sounds like they thought it was extremely honourable thing to do in the ancient times.... and the flesh must be really good :/... lots of protein.

Any case of cannibalism in wuxia? Or sickening cases comparable to that

Please list some:

:]
    Last edited by strife_au; 11-06-06 at 03:58 AM.

Well, I believe that part of ROTK had more to do with LGZ making Liu Bei into this unbelivable, extremely honorable, people would go all out for him status. Really, I don't believe that happened in history. Of course, cannibalism would've occured even in that era, but I always found that part of the story to be a total exaggeration and I always go WTF, LGZ is going all out in his bias for Shu. Too much favoritism for Liu Bei...

Then again, later in the novel, around the Yi Ling chapters, LGZ made Zhuge Liang say "whoever made these plans should be executed" refering to Liu Bei of course since he's the one who came up with those plans for the camp array. That part showed that LGZ had way more bias for Zhuge Liang than for Liu Bei and I just found it funny cause LGZ never said anything really negative about Liu Bei before that.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Plenty examples of cannibalism in Water Margin; most of those involve Li Kui. Unlike that part in ROTK where there are other (kind of) positive factors (like honour and hero worship), Li Kui killed and ate the fellas because 1. they were bastards and/or tried to kill him and 2. he was hungry. In one scene after he just killed this guy who impersonated him and tried to poison him, he went into his kitchen to find food but could only find some rice and couldn't eat the meat as it was poisoned. The frustrated and furious Li Kui walked out of the kitchen when he saw the body on the floor. He laughed to himself "Stupid me. I almost wasted such good meat!" From memory, the author did go into great details showing how much Li Kui enjoyed his meal.

That is why there's a Chinese saying "the young should not read Water Margin, the old should not read ROTK". It's because Water Margin is full of bad examples for youngsters and ROTK is full of tricks and deceipts and power struggles - stuff that the old should not abuse (as they tend to have more power in society).
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

My perception was that the taboo against consuming human flesh is as strong in Chinese culture as it is anywhere else. I just don't understand why the literature "glorifies" it?

Does anyone remember General Ngok Fei's poem "Moon gong hong" (The red river). Bravely fill our hunger with the flesh of the barbarians, talk merrily drinking the blood of the Hun.

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    Any case of cannibalism in wuxia? Or sickening cases comparable to that

Please list some
    Well, in Jue Dai Shuang Jiao, LDZ (Li Dai Zhui) (sp?) of the Ten Evils consumed human meat. He does so in order to make others afraid of him. He actually does not like human meat, but nonetheless, he ate it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    Well, I believe that part of ROTK had more to do with LGZ making Liu Bei into this unbelivable, extremely honorable, people would go all out for him status. Really, I don't believe that happened in history. Of course, cannibalism would've occured even in that era, but I always found that part of the story to be a total exaggeration and I always go WTF, LGZ is going all out in his bias for Shu. Too much favoritism for Liu Bei...

Then again, later in the novel, around the Yi Ling chapters, LGZ made Zhuge Liang say "whoever made these plans should be executed" refering to Liu Bei of course since he's the one who came up with those plans for the camp array. That part showed that LGZ had way more bias for Zhuge Liang than for Liu Bei and I just found it funny cause LGZ never said anything really negative about Liu Bei before that.
    The author of RoTK was a decendant of a Shu official. hence his bias towards Liu Bei and Shu

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Plenty examples of cannibalism in Water Margin; most of those involve Li Kui. Unlike that part in ROTK where there are other (kind of) positive factors (like honour and hero worship), Li Kui killed and ate the fellas because 1. they were bastards and/or tried to kill him and 2. he was hungry. In one scene after he just killed this guy who impersonated him and tried to poison him, he went into his kitchen to find food but could only find some rice and couldn't eat the meat as it was poisoned. The frustrated and furious Li Kui walked out of the kitchen when he saw the body on the floor. He laughed to himself "Stupid me. I almost wasted such good meat!" From memory, the author did go into great details showing how much Li Kui enjoyed his meal.

That is why there's a Chinese saying "the young should not read Water Margin, the old should not read ROTK". It's because Water Margin is full of bad examples for youngsters and ROTK is full of tricks and deceipts and power struggles - stuff that the old should not abuse (as they tend to have more power in society).

I believe thats very true
    ------------

I think Journey to the West the actual novel, has a lot of cannibalism also? Like the monsters, they all want to eat the monk and the pig, but thats kind of expected.

In Young Flying Fox, a mom disemboweled her young son to prove that he didn't steal and eat local bully Feng Tian Nan's geese. (I am from Foshan, I have seen the "Son Disemboweling Stone," though I do not know its authencity... it's most likely fake... but I appreciate JY tying the legend into YFF). That was a sad scene. The worst part was the entire family died anyway cuz of that byatch Yuan Ziyi (that a$$wipe of a "nun") and Wufei's stupidity.

In Luk Siu Fung, there's one scene where some girl who was either genuinely just 12 years old or who was an adult midget who jumped into bed with him to prove to him that she was a grown up. That got me feeling eeeeew. I know there's a lot of kinky material in GuLong's works, but that was too much. Luckily, LSF tossed her out... I think. Don't recall exactly.
    This account is retired.

In the new LOCH, I believed they mentioned something of MCF childhood. At the age of 12 or so, some old guy tried to touch her chest? Is that child sexual harassment? 12 years old, even back then, that is still way too young right?

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    In the new LOCH, I believed they mentioned something of MCF childhood. At the age of 12 or so, some old guy tried to touch her chest? Is that child sexual harassment? 12 years old, even back then, that is still way too young right?
    Slightly. Many girls were having babies by age fourteen at the time.

they say human flesh tastes like veal. if that's the case, the ones who say it tastes sour is lying.

what the princess tried to do to xiao yu'e and hua wuque is pretty sickening.

One day they sought shelter at a house whence a youth came out and made a low obeisance. They asked his name and he gave it as Liu An, of a well known family of hunters. Hearing who the visitor was, the hunter wished to lay before him a dish of game, but though he sought for a long time, nothing could be found for the table. So Liu An came home, killed his wife and prepared a portion for his guest.

While eating Liu Bei asked, "What flesh is it?"

Liu An told him: "Wolf."

Liu Bei knew no better and ate his fill. Next day at daylight, just as Liu Bei was leaving, he went to the stables in the rear to get his horse and passing through the kitchen; he saw the dead body of a woman lying on the table. The flesh of one arm had been cut away. Quite startled he asked what this meant, and then he knew what he had eaten the night before. He was deeply sorry at this proof of his host's regard and the tears rained down as he mounted his steed at the gate.....Liu Bei thanked him and went his way......

When Liu Bei told him of the hunter who had sacrificed his wife to feed them, Cao Cao sent the hunter a present of a hundred ounces of silver as a reward
    that is gross, he killed his own wife to serve a guest? must not love the wife that much. out of all that is listed here, i find this one most disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by mawguy
    they say human flesh tastes like veal. if that's the case, the ones who say it tastes sour is lying.

what the princess tried to do to xiao yu'e and hua wuque is pretty sickening.

What did she tried to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingfox2002
    In Luk Siu Fung, there's one scene where some girl who was either genuinely just 12 years old or who was an adult midget who jumped into bed with him to prove to him that she was a grown up. That got me feeling eeeeew. I know there's a lot of kinky material in GuLong's works, but that was too much. Luckily, LSF tossed her out... I think. Don't recall exactly.
    Yeah that was hilarious... Sangguan Feiyang walked in and her sister then left.

What did she tried to do?
    get them to duel each other when they are twins.

Quote Originally Posted by mawguy
    get them to duel each other when they are twins.
    That lady was so evil, she made Mit Jeut See Tai, Lee Mok Sau, and Kau Cheen Chek look like giddy schoolgirls by comparison.

Well, maybe not, but she was in good company with all three of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    That lady was so evil, she made Mit Jeut See Tai, Lee Mok Sau, and Kau Cheen Chek look like giddy schoolgirls by comparison.

Well, maybe not, but she was in good company with all three of them.
    One thing for sure though, Yao Yue looks lots better than the other three.

Yao Yue, goddessly beautiful and also hellishly sinister.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    One thing for sure though, Yao Yue looks lots better than the other three.

Yao Yue, goddessly beautiful and also hellishly sinister.
    She looked better than Mit Jeut See Tai and Kau Cheen Chek for sure, but maybe not Lee Mok Sau. Lee Mok Sau was said to be quite attractive...not on the level of her junior martial sister Little Dragon Girl...but certainly no dog in the looks department either.

Gong Jiu tried to make Hua Man Lou kill Lu Xiao Feng unknowingly.

Dunno whether this can be considered disgusting or not. But poor HML, if he succeed.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

TommyH
    Unregistered

Is it me or are the things getting less disgusting? I think the most disgusting mentioned is the guy killing his wife to serve his guests...

There were a couple of instances in HSDS and Lian Cheng Jue where people were forced to become cannibals. Sickening, but I don't think they had much choice.