Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did YG and LDG turn that beggar into a snowman?

Default Why did YG and LDG turn that beggar into a snowman?

Just before Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl met South Emperor 1 Deng and Chi Yan (the monk formerly known as Iron Palm Union Chief Kau Cheen Yan), they encountered the traitorous Elder Pang of the Beggar's Union and his assistant, a beggar named Ma. The couple eavesdropped on the traitorous duo and learned of their evil plans (as well as their intentions to murder each other). Yeung Gor quickly subdued Ma, but instead of killing him or exposing him, he and Little Dragon Girl turned him into a snowman (i.e. they encased him in a shell of ice and snow). Later, Chi Yan became the one who finished off both Ma and Pang.

Why did Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl turn Ma into a snowman instead of kill him? It was the weirdest thing to do (and one of the few moments I actually liked them; it was good to see them do something wacky and humorous like this instead of the usual mushy stuff).

That was because it was the first time we see them not being "reunited". We see Guo Jing and Huang Rong together for most of their novel, so they do not go as mushy.

Taken by surprise, the thin beggar snapped his head back, thinking that it was Peng Zhang Lao sneaking up behind him. His face looked alarmed and terrified. “Don’t be afraid. Don’t be afraid.” Yang Guo said and reached out to press the three pressure points -- on his chest, below his ribs, and on his leg. Then he moved the thin beggar to the front door. Before his eyes was a vast field of white deep snow. The child in him sprang up and so he called out, “Long’er, come quickly and help me build a snowman.” He scooped up the white snow on the ground and started piling it onto that thin beggar’s body. Xiao Longnu came out of the house to help. Merrily, the two of them worked on the snowman and a short while later that beggar was thoroughly covered with the white snow. Except the pair of eyeballs that could still move, the thin beggar turned into an extremely fat and heavy snowman.

With a laugh Yang Guo said, “This thin decrepit old man’s become both fat and white in a flash.” Xiao Longnu giggled and said, “And that other fat and white old man… what would you change him into?” Yang Guo had yet to reply when he heard the sounds of footsteps from the distance. He lowered his voice, “That fat old beggar’s back. Let’s hide.” The two people returned to the house and shut the door. Xiao Longnu shook Guo Xiang, making her cry. At the same time she coaxed, “Hush, hush, don’t cry.” In her whole life, she'd never pretended to do anything but this situation was so strange that she didn’t even think about it. She saw that Yang Guo was having fun so she just played along with him.

Yang Guo has always been mischevious. Most of his adventures were looking for XLN while playing tricks on people.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

I like Yeung Gor best when he's on "mischief mode." He's most bearable in this mode.

Still, it was an odd time for him to feel playful and frisky. He was dying of Passion Flower poisoning. Little Dragon Girl was dying of internal injury + Ice Soul Needle poisoning. He was still pissed off at Gwok Fu for cutting off his arm and for critically injuring Little Dragon Girl. I'd have thought he wouldn't be in the mood for humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I like Yeung Gor best when he's on "mischief mode." He's most bearable in this mode.

Still, it was an odd time for him to feel playful and frisky. He was dying of Passion Flower poisoning. Little Dragon Girl was dying of internal injury + Ice Soul Needle poisoning. He was still pissed off at Gwok Fu for cutting off his arm and for critically injuring Little Dragon Girl. I'd have thought he wouldn't be in the mood for humor.
    He has already began to forgive Guo Fu for cutting off his arm, he never got over the fact that she injured Xiao Long Nu however. But whenever Yang Guo is with Xiao Long Nu, he will forget about everything else and just be himself. Most of the book has him looking for Xiao Long Nu, reuniting for a day or two, and then getting separated again. This is why i enjoyed Yang Guo's initial introduction. It protrayed him as a mischevious kid with a heroic spirit. Basically Guo Jing and Huang Rong combined. But then Jin Yong gave him a story that downplayed the likability of his character. I guess it is needed though, because if he was given a story where his good characteristics were the only focus, it would become like Bill O'Reilly's novel...
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

He didn't have too many of these playful moods during the sixteen year wait, I assume. It'd be pretty hard to generate the energy for Sad Palms if you're stifling your laughter while pouring the contents of a latrine onto some unsuspecting Cheun Jen Sect Taoist.

He didn't have too many of these playful moods during the sixteen year wait, I assume. It'd be pretty hard to generate the energy for Sad Palms if you're stifling your laughter while pouring the contents of a latrine onto some unsuspecting Cheun Jen Sect Taoist.
    What makes you think he even met any Quan Zhen taoist? He most likely just avoided them like he did Guo Jing. And although he had no love for Quan Zhen, after his separation with Xiao Long Nu, he had no animosity against Quan Zhen any longer.

And in his sixteen years, he spent 1 in the caves, 5 in front of the ocean and 10 adventuring. What we know is that he had a fetish for cutting of people's ears and being creative and playful in bringing justice. I.E. the court thing with the government official. From what we know, he spent much of the 16 year adventures playfully. He spent his "alone time" sulking for Xiao Long Nu however.

I ask this question again. Why do you hate YG?

I am sorry if you've elaborately explained in other threads before, but I have not seen them.
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    It's a long, bitter story, and one I don't mind sharing, but not now because:

1). It would take a great amount of time for me to completely explain the reasons, and I just don't have that time right now.

2). It would be a catharatic, but draining experience that would leave me mentally exhausted for days.

3). As it is, the forum is currently saturated with Yeung Gor topics (which are, as always, contentious). If I were to fully explain my position on Yeung Gor, SC would need to open a whole new forum dedicated just to the discussion of why some posters like him and some posters don't.

So one of these days, when I'm feeling *really* bored and the forum is moving *really* slowly and there aren't too many Yeung Gor-related topics on the first few pages of the forum, I'll elaborate. Stay tuned. It'll show up when you least expect it.

I am sorry if you've elaborately explained in other threads before, but I have not seen them.
    He hates Yang Guo because he expects Yang Guo to act like Guo Jing, be all heroic and put country before love. He hates YG because YG wasted his great martial arts and intelligence and left his poor Uncle Guo to defend Xiang Yang alone while he himself went honeymooning with XLN. He should have stayed back and helped out Uncle Guo and later took over Uncle Guo's duty in defending the country.

That's the gist from the various 'why I hate YG' post posted by Ken.

The innovations of TVB's scriptwriter(s) might have contributed a bit to Ken's hate too. I remember the 80's adaptations tend to exagerate the characters personality to make them more interesting. So, the characters' flaws were also exagerated.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    He hates Yang Guo because he expects Yang Guo to act like Guo Jing, be all heroic and put country before love. He hates YG because YG wasted his great martial arts and intelligence and left his poor Uncle Guo to defend Xiang Yang alone while he himself went honeymooning with XLN. He should have stayed back and helped out Uncle Guo and later took over Uncle Guo's duty in defending the country.

That's the gist from the various 'why I hate YG' post posted by Ken.
    That's just scratching the surface. Those are a few things to start with, but it's far more elaborate than that. The full history goes back over twenty years. There will come a day soon when you'll all get to read about it, but not today.

YG almost singlehandedly made the Mongols retreat by killing Golden Wheel and then assassinating the Khan at the time. (I say "almost" because there were other people fighting on the Song side too during the battle that day... as far as the actual two acts I mentioned, YG did them by himself)

To put it in another way, he saved China from the Mongols by himself for a decade (until the next invasion which eventually succeeded).

When he and Dragon Girl left Xiang Yang, XY was not in any danger, I can't see how one could say that they left GJ and HR to rot. YG immediately rushed to XY right after he finally reunited with his wife after 16 yrs of separation to defend his country, I don't know what else he has to do.
    This account is retired.

When he and Dragon Girl left Xiang Yang, XY was not in any danger, I can't see how one could say that they left GJ and HR to rot. YG immediately rushed to XY right after he finally reunited with his wife after 16 yrs of separation to defend his country, I don't know what else he has to do.
    Nothing much. It might be his duty to defend his country but it's defenitely not his duty to please the GJ and HR fans.

Sure, he irritated some of them with his supposedly excessive emotional breakdowns but it's their right to get irritated as much as his right to irritate them.

I'm sure he'd have been EXTREMELY PLEASED to discover the massive impact in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    Nothing much. It might be his duty to defend his country but it's defenitely not his duty to please the GJ and HR fans.

Sure, he irritated some of them with his supposedly excessive emotional breakdowns but it's their right to get irritated as much as his right to irritate them.

I'm sure he'd have been EXTREMELY PLEASED to discover the massive impact in this forum.
    What emotional breakdowns do YG haters typically point to? I can't think of any instances (in the book) where he lost his temper and cause irreparable harm. (TVB adaptations don't count) If anything, his instincts always guided him to do the "right" thing. I.e. saving GF numerous times, to my horror.
    This account is retired.

What emotional breakdowns do YG haters typically point to?
    That should be his perceived 'overdosage' of whining, "Long'er...", I believe.

That should be his perceived 'overdosage' of whining, "Long'er...", I believe.
    To be fair, the people who read the novel on Yang Guo did not have to HEAR all that whining.

Having seen adapations and read the novel almost simultaneously, i can say, "Novel Yang Guo" ranges from slightly annoying to inspiringly heroic, while "TV Yang Guo" ranges from slightly annoying to little sh*t.

To be fair to the actors, it takes a very very good actor to really capture the likes of Yang Guo and Linghu Chong. They are sad but happy at the same time, almost all the time.

TVB's used toilet papers never seem to run out. I wonder if their "writers" (namely the retarded monkeys who use said used toilet papers as script paper) wash their hands after "writing" their script. Hopefully these "writers" are responsible for buying lunch for the TVB execs too, so that the fat slobs can have certain "vitamin supplements" in their foods.

I am glad I have only seen Mainland's version of ROCH. Early YG was annoying mainly because of HXM's over the top portrayal, but middle to late YG was good.

Oh yeah, did I mention TVB sucks?

If not, yeah, TVB sucks.

Wait, what was I trying to remember to write?

Oh yeah, TVB sucks.
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    To be fair, the people who read the novel on Yang Guo did not have to HEAR all that whining.

Having seen adapations and read the novel almost simultaneously, i can say, "Novel Yang Guo" ranges from slightly annoying to inspiringly heroic, while "TV Yang Guo" ranges from slightly annoying to little sh*t
    TVB's used toilet papers never seem to run out.
    Not just TVB. I hated the new Yang Guo in China ROCH 2005 so much, I never thought TV adaptions had the ability to f*ck up a character so badly. It seems, The young female audience really digs the "guy pleads girl to stay with him, says he can't live without her" type of content, even when it's exaggerated out of proportion. It was simply unbearable to me.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Oh cmon guys, Ken is showing signs of liking YG, we should celebrate. Despite that deep dark hatred lies a ray of hope.

You got that right, brother IcyFox

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Not just TVB. I hated the new Yang Guo in China ROCH 2005 so much, I never thought TV adaptions had the ability to f*ck up a character so badly. It seems, The young female audience really digs the "guy pleads girl to stay with him, says he can't live without her" type of content, even when it's exaggerated out of proportion. It was simply unbearable to me.
    Me too. HXM made YG look really really bad.

But i disagree about the TVB remark. Hey, ROCH83 was heaps good. Not an accurate adaption maybe, but very very entertaining with a good script.
    Read the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud now. I swear that you won't regret meeting someone like Bartimaeus. Ever.