Thread: Are any heroine in wuxia feet binded?

Default Are any heroine in wuxia feet binded?

does any1 know if any heroine in wuxia had their feets binded?
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR
    A woman whose feet were bound in the Chinese style of the Sung Dynasty could pretty much forget about having a meaningful wulin career. She'd only be slightly more mobile than Kau Cheen Chek and Yu Doi Nam were after their crippling injuries.

The only thing we know for sure is that their legs were hairy.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

No. I believe only the daughters of nobleman and royalty(possibly) would have their feet binded. And you might want to research online or somewhere to see when the feet binding actually started.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    No. I believe only the daughters of nobleman and royalty(possibly) would have their feet binded. And you might want to research online or somewhere to see when the feet binding actually started.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.ccds.charlotte.nc.us/History/China/04/hutchins/footpic.gif')

Once foot binding began, it spread quickly from the north, where it begun, to all parts in China. In the beginning, the custom was practiced only by court dancers, followed by all the women in the court. In 1273, the Mongols took over the Sung dynasty and started the Yuan dynasty. The Mongols supported foot binding for all the women in China (Chinese Girl 2). They supported mainly because it made the women less likely to be able to succeed (Jackson 19). In the mid-1300s, the Ming dynasty took the place of the Yuan dynasty. Foot binding continued to spread from the royalty, to the wealthy (Levy 26). Eventually, all classes of people had their feet bound. Poor people did so in hopes of improving their social status (Cummings 2).

above picture and quote credit to http://www.ccds.charlotte.nc.us/Hist...s/hutchins.htm

She was to do this so that she could perform an early variation of ballet, also called toe dancing for the royal court. This legend is probably the least likely to be true, because women with bound feet could hardly walk, let alone dance.

personally i find foot binding disgusting. you can visit the site for more information. and i doubt that any wuxia heroines had their foot binded, it was almost impossible for them to walk without assistance, i don't think they could jump around with a sword.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu1995

personally i find foot binding disgusting. you can visit the site for more information. and i doubt that any wuxia heroines had their foot binded, it was almost impossible for them to walk without assistance, i don't think they could jump around with a sword.
    Exactly. I doubt farmer's daughters or any low class women would have any use for bound feet, only the noblewomen and seriously oppressed and submissive women would have their feet binded.

Geez, I doubt men during that time would actually like touching their wives' feet, I mean look at it? Does that look sexy to you? Haha. It's almost like some South East Asian country and their numerous golden neck bangles that makes the women's neck all stretched out and long, gross! And they actually wear the necklace for years and start from youth too.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 11-08-06 at 12:24 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

FEEECCCKK that is sick
    Seriously people who find that attractive, has serious mental illness... just like those necrophilia's, paedophiles :<

:[

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Geez, I doubt men during that time would actually like touching their wives' feet, I mean look at it? Does that look sexy to you? Haha. It's almost like some South East Asian country and their numerous golden neck bangles that makes the women's neck all stretched out and long, gross! And they actually wear the necklace for years and start from youth too.

yeah, they are called 'Karen-Padung hilltribes' the women wears brass rings around their neck. i find them scary looking. i can't believe women would go through that much pain and suffering just to be 'beautiful'. i can't believe they still do this!

quote and a picture credit to http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/hi..._necklong_neck

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://k53.pbase.com/u34/larsjohnsson/large/41366074.kt9i7834.jpg')

The Padung women are putting brass rings around their necks. This distorts the growth of their collarbones and make them look as if they have long necks - which they don't. This row of brass rings do not actually stretch their necks but in fact squash the vertebra and collar bones. A woman generally has about twenty or more rings around her neck. This neck ring adornment is started when the girls are 5 or 6 years old.
    The rings on the arms and the legs are not quite as prominent as those on the neck simply because the neck rings are so pronounced. However, these rings are just as important. The rings on the arms are worn on the forearm from the wrist to the elbow. Those on the legs are worn from the ankles to the knees.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Eww...how do they do that? Crush the bone?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    Eww...how do they do that? Crush the bone?
    If you are referring to bound feet, yeah, something along those lines.
    Basically, each foot is bent so that the heel reaches as far forward as possible, and the four small toes reach as far backward as possible, as if to meet the heel (and vice-versa). The big toe is left protruding, so that the foot looks pointed. Then, the whole thing is wrapped up tightly in bandages. The process hurts, of course, and the pain is even worse when the foot is unwrapped (once in a while) for washing.
    Source: My grandmother, who had her feet bound as a child, but the process was somehow abandoned before too much damage was done, leaving her with only two deformed small toes (the 4th and 5th) on each foot.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

How is this different to modern women and their Jimmy Choos/Manolo Blahniks? The shape of the bound foot is surprisingly similar to the shape of a foot encased in a high heel shoe.

OK, the modern women chooses to wear the heels, whereas there is the issue of consent/coercion in past times.

I don't believe wearing high heels hurts quite as much, though, and also the foot is not distorted in such a fashion.

i wear high heels very often, more than 9 hours a day for work. BUT MY FOOT DOES NOT LOOK ANYTHING LIKE THAT FOOT that was binded. plus we can take off our heels when it hurts, but those girls didn't have a choice.

Compare the shape of a high-heeled shoe with the bound foot.
    There's no way a bound foot will be able to fit into a high-heeled shoe.

Edit: Removed the pic. It was so huge and red that it was making my eyes hurt.
    Last edited by dgfds01; 11-09-06 at 07:13 PM.

people who are vain will do anything to appease their vanity

Perhaps no female character had her foot binded, because how could she train martial arts and wander the Jiang hu with such disgusting foot.
    I don't know exactly about other characters, but I'm sure that Huang Rong and Zhao Min didn't have their foot binded. That's nearly enough for me. . Thanks Jin Yong.

Well if any female wuxia characters did feet binding, they would be like a cripple.