Thread: Overrated Series

Default Overrated Series

There seemed to be several threads devoted to favorites, but there have been more than a few series that had huge marketing and giant budgets (Golden series) that TVB puts out every year, but some of them I just can't get into:

The Bund - either version, stupid reason but i am slightly turned off by the women's costumes and the flouting of machine guns

Threshold of an Era (Part II) - overall, i enjoyed the entire series, but taken apart, part II is no where near as good as part I since the plot falters a bit.

Triumph in the Skies - very good, then all the guest cameos (oh comeon, Twins reunion?) and really draggy ending

Dae Cheung Gum (Jewel of the Palace - i know its Korean) -- the series finished well in the second half, but the first half spent like 6 episodes on obsessing over how to cook the gold chicken or whale...

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120
    There seemed to be several threads devoted to favorites, but there have been more than a few series that had huge marketing and giant budgets (Golden series) that TVB puts out every year, but some of them I just can't get into:

The Bund - either version, stupid reason but i am slightly turned off by the women's costumes and the flouting of machine guns

Threshold of an Era (Part II) - overall, i enjoyed the entire series, but taken apart, part II is no where near as good as part I since the plot falters a bit.

Triumph in the Skies - very good, then all the guest cameos (oh comeon, Twins reunion?) and really draggy ending

Dae Cheung Gum (Jewel of the Palace - i know its Korean) -- the series finished well in the second half, but the first half spent like 6 episodes on obsessing over how to cook the gold chicken or whale...
    I agree with Threshold of an Era (Part II). Louis Koo's character wasn't believable. But the Bund overrated?? This is one of the best series TVB every made. Chow Yun Fat was awesome in this. The character development for a 25 episode show was so good. Character development is something that is lacking with a lot of the newer shows. Even when there is character development, you don't have actors like Chow Yun Fat that can bring it alive. Tony Leung was another guy that can do that like in Police Cadet.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Triumph in the Skies is overrated in my opinion, or perhaps it just wasn't my cup of tea. I keep reading that people like the music for it, but I can't stand the background music at all. It makes me drowsy. I tried so hard to watch the end, but I couldn't get into it and had to find out how it ended from my mom.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Completely agree with At The Threshold Of An Era II!!!
    Louis' character was soooooo annoying and unbelievable! Trying to get revenge on Gallen, and then finds out the truth but STILL wants to get revenge!

Triumph....I really like the series but agree that ending was draggy-could have cut at least 10 episodes although I liked Eason's cameo! Ha Ha!

Square Pegs and War of in-Laws... just my opinion.
    *-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cockneysandy
    Completely agree with At The Threshold Of An Era II!!!
    Louis' character was soooooo annoying and unbelievable! Trying to get revenge on Gallen, and then finds out the truth but STILL wants to get revenge!

Triumph....I really like the series but agree that ending was draggy-could have cut at least 10 episodes although I liked Eason's cameo! Ha Ha!
    Era: I think the plot just fell apart when Flora didn't want to continue playing Helen and they had to bring a Yen look-a-like (forgot her name) to be in Gallen's life. then everyone kept on dying and Louis went crazy -- how does street thug that never finished highschool become business school elite and CEO?

Triumph: towards the end i found the triangel really annoying and flora's breakdown too exaggerated, no joy left - it became too depressing to be uplifting type of show.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydayz3
    Square Pegs and War of in-Laws... just my opinion.
    i thought it Square Pegs was ok, but not sure why everyone loved it so much. i was not able to bring myself to watch the sequel.

Gundam-Freedom
    Unregistered

VOH1&2
    Healing Hands 3
    Life Made Simple
    Forensic Heroes - too easy IMO
    A Pillow Case of Mystery
    The Dance of Passion
    Journey to the west 2002 remake

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam-Freedom
    The Dance of Passion
    Huh..? Dance of Passion is over-rated? It received the credit it deserved. I loved the series; some of the cast were amongst my favorite actors/actresses, myself being an obsessed Gigi, Charmaine and Ada fan. Then there was the different setting upon which the series was filmed in. I liked how TVB decided a different location, as opposed to the typical locations (as a reference, use The Gentle Crackdown, Eternal Happiness- if you paid careful attention, some of the scenes from both series seemed to be taken in the same locale). It had little to no flaws detectable, and the ending was meaningful and gave off a nostalgic feeling.

for me:
    square pegs
    to get unstuck in time
    dance of passion
    and latest.... to grow with love the most useless series imho
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam-Freedom
    VOH1&2
    Healing Hands 3
    Life Made Simple
    Forensic Heroes - too easy IMO
    A Pillow Case of Mystery
    The Dance of Passion
    Journey to the west 2002 remake

VOH1&2 overrated???
    I think this was one of the most entertaining series ever!! Its funny and it lets you relax after a hard day of work or school!!It gives you a relaxing feeling you could say imo!!
    Fan of Raymond Lam,Jimmy Lin,Kelvin,Alex Fong,Bosco,and Joe Cheung

Don't study history....go and make it

Love is like war
    Easy to start
    Hard to end
    Impossible to forget