Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zhou Jie anyone?

For those who want to know about Zhou Jie, the man, click on my Zhou Jie-fan gathering write-up No distance too far

Zhou Jie's TV series
    Zhong Ji Xuan Ji 终级玄机 co-star Jin Qiao Qiao
    Legend of Huang Da Xian 侠影仙踪 co-star Sun Fei Fei
    Heroes of Manchuria 同盛金━关东英雄
    Righteousness Rules 正义令天下
    Deviant Path 非常道
    Plum Blossom Files 梅花档案
    Translucent Skies 透明天空
    Proclaim Your Love 白质女孩 又名说出你的爱

For myself, Plum Blossom Files 梅花档案 ranks with Hzgg saga and Young Justice 1.
    I also enjoyed Proclaim Your Love and Deviant Path very much.

Summaries, discussions and analyses a galore in his various websites, some in English but mostly in Chinese.
    Lots of video clips in ZJchina
    All are welcome to browse.

Plum Blossom Files is lauded as the BTV’s (Beijing stations) 2005 top TV series garnering an impressive rating of 13.7%. Actually, it was primed to air in 2004 April, but due to politically sensitive and ‘horrifying’ storyline, it was shelved indefinitely. However, its hiatus ended when irate viewers bombarded the stations with mails and calls. They had looked forward to watching PBF series because of its ‘horror’ genre and impressive rating in other province stations. After much editing (more like butchering), the series ‘opened’ up the year of 2005 for BTV. As expected, it was an instant hit with its viewers despite an extreme makeover.
    source

In 2003 its rating in Guangdong TV was as high as 20.14%, averaging at 18.1%, which was way ahead of the 5 or 6 % norms, arguably the station’s top TV series in the last two years.
    source

Although its promoters touted PBF as a “horror” TV series, it is more of a thriller to me. Admittedly, I’ve yet to watch it at night or even dusk, but in bright daylight, it wasn’t all that scary, although the 1st 6 episodes could be spine tingling for some faint hearts. However, it was the suspense and good acting that had me riveted to the TV screen.

To get into the spine tingling mood, listen to its opening score.

Opening score mv:
    opening score MV

Theme song mv:
    song mv

To get a gist of Plum Blossom Files plot click
    spoiler

I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't associate Zhou Jie with Er Kang since I've never bothered to finish watching HZGG. Anyway, Zhou Jie is also in Feng Shen Bang as King Zhou Wu.

I've been wanting to watch Mei Hua Dang An due to its genre and positive reviews, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll aim for winter break.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    What others may describe as Erkang’s aggressiveness, I see assertiveness and leadership on his part. Maybe these people can describe some of Erkang aggressiveness, so that I can better understand where they’re coming from.

A superficial analysis on Erkang’s character might better explain my point of view.

Not only has nature endowed Erkang with good looks (as evinced by the number of ladies falling for him) but also intelligence. Added to that is his innate ability to excel in everything he does from scholarship to martial arts. But more importantly, Erkang is born privileged into a prominent, powerful and aristocratic family. Given his background as a God & sovereign favored man, it is no wonder that Erkang is head and shoulders above his counterparts, which of course imbued him with great pride, confidence, assertiveness and leadership, and perhaps not a little of single mindedness. (Some may add aggressiveness.) Unsurprisingly, his prestigious position and status as the Emperor’s handpicked palace security chief only served to heighten his own sense of importance.

Because he is highly favored by the Emperor and Dowager from young, his future has been all but decided. He was to marry whichever princess as decreed by his sovereign. Being first born, he was to carry on his family name honorably. In short, prosperity and power notwithstanding, Erkang’s future looms monotonously and colorlessly, where he can’t even choose his own wife, let alone, a woman he loves. Rebellion against tradition and customs is unthinkable, then.

Because of his duty, Erkang is trained to lead and take charge. He greatly differs from Yong Qi in that the latter is not given much responsibility inside or outside the palace, let alone, leadership training. It is enough for him (Yong Qi) to just survive the court intrigues and to compete for his father’s favor by doing well in his books and hunting. Which is why he defers greatly to Erkang for important decisions, even though the latter is his minion. Imo, Yong Qi comes across as a hen-pecked, pushover imperial boyfriend to XYZ. (Again, some may substitute hen-pecked or pushover with ‘less intimidation’. (Only semantics)

Although surrounded by people day in and day out, life at the top is lonely and lacking for Erkang. To keep himself neutral and above court and political intrigues, and jealousies; Erkang is deliberately aloof and solitary. (Yong Qi is more Ertai’s friend.) At this time, Erkang is resigned to his lonesome and solitary, albeit high status, lot; that is, until Ziwei shows him a more ‘colorful’ and joyful world if he had the courage and assertiveness to make it happened. Whereas before, Erkang was resigned to follow tradition, marry Qing Er if so decreed for as yet, the word, soul mate did not exist in his world; ie, not until Ziwei came along. It was love at first sight, or perhaps destiny is at work . In Ziwei, Erkang found his other half, not to complement him but to complete him. But ironically, Ziwei is also his noticeable weakness. Because of Ziwei, Erkang is weak, therefore, ‘aggressive?

To me, Er Kang is a man who is not afraid to fight for his love and future, despite the odds. And the odds are big indeed in the form of tradition too ingrained, and obdurate as mountains, But fought he did, forcefully or intelligently or rebelliously. (Or aggressively? so be it). But in all his ‘aggressiveness’ and ‘scariness’ he has never once hurt Xiao Yan Zi, not even when she so irresponsibly and unforgivably lost Ziwei. It’s not just a misplacement accident, but a life and death close-call incident to Ziwei and Erkang (he won’t survive the death of his Ziwei) (I, myself, would not be so magnanimous as Erkang with just one scary glare, if XYZ were to lose my blind sister or a loved one. Nor would I be so tolerant as to forgive XYZ her life threatening silly antics throughout their fugitive run . Would you, for real.. when death dodged your every step, and always seems one step ahead of you? Would you really overlook her consistent irresponsibility for her cuteness when lives are carelessly and thoughtlessly put in jeopardy at every turn? Of course, like Erkang, in the end, I would blame myself more for trusting XYZ. What does that say about XYZ as a person? After that incident, would you still want your blind sister/ loved one be close to XYZ, knowing that at any moment, your blind love might get hurt? )

So I for one, totally empathized with Erkang ‘scary’ reactions. My adjective, would be heartbroken/ his collapse, 崩溃
    Well-written!!! I agree with you about the "scary reactions" part. I think most viewers just fell in love for the "cuteness" of XYZ and YQ's love story that they're willing to forgive XYZ for anything. Not that there's anything wrong w/ that, I mean, it shows that XYZ is indeed a loving character, though she stepped the line for me way too many times in HZGG II.

In all, I think he's a better character than Yong Qi, who indeed is a huge pushover. Sure, he rebels by falling in love with XYZ, but otherwise, his character was too weak for my liking.

One thing I don't get though--why did Zhou Jie not get as much popularity in comparison to his counterparts, aka Vicki, Ruby, and Alec? Their popularity sky-rocketed, and he did get some roles, but nothing too huge. I think he was better in his portrayal than Alec, about the same as Ruby, and Vicki probably beat them (but only in the first one). Hmm...

Btw, that new series of his looks interesting =)

Lady Zhuge, to whet your appetite on Mei Hua Dan An, check out its video library in mhda videos

MHDA is an excellent TV series. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    One thing I don't get though--why did Zhou Jie not get as much popularity in comparison to his counterparts, aka Vicki, Ruby, and Alec? Their popularity sky-rocketed, and he did get some roles, but nothing too huge. I Hmm...

Yearning: A fair enough question. But star popularity based solely on media reporting and publicity, (not to mention those ubiquitous, facetious online popularity polls) is very specious and skewed. But yeah, going just by tabloid output, and by Spcnet, Zhou Jie seems less popular than his co-stars, I think. Because really I don’t know since I don’t keep tab on the others. But if you and the media and spcnet members say so, then it must be so. But this can't be reasoned in just a few words, so be prepared to read a lengthy theoretical essay. lol!

I can only venture guesses as to why. Guesses= pure opinion
    First, no professional agent. Until his recent contract with a China powerhouse agent, ( Fan Bing Bing & Li Bing Bing's former manager) Zhou Jie never did have a professional agent to represent him, only a good friend cum manager. And it wasn’t for lack of agents courting him either, for he was red-hot in China, then.

A seasoned publicity agent would have been able to lessen ZJ’s bad press considerably through expertise, and especially through good old-fashioned bribery and sucking up. But Zhou Jie chose to do without until now. I couldn’t understand then why he chose to freelance. But now I think I do. He valued a freehand in his career above anything else.

For if contracted to an agent, he won’t be his own man anymore. His hands would be tied to the kind and number of films he could or must make. (Fan Bing Bing’s busy schedule come to mind) He would have certain obligations to keep like the amount of advertisements and public appearances to make, and social functions to go, so on and so forth. And many other constraints that an outsider like me won’t even begin to guess. As of now since signing up with his recent agent, ‘saccharine’ media reports aka promotional/ publicity write –ups on him are hitting the stands and internet consistently. Yeah, a powerful agent could shore up his client public image and block off bad publicity.

Second: His forthright personality and straight talk just don’t sit well with certain people, be they lowly reporters or influential power brokers. Actors are paid to act according to the script held in their hands, regardless. They are not paid to think. (Right?) Well, Zhou Jie thinks too much and talks too much. He’s also too much of a ‘perfectionist’ in wanting to improve the script... who could forget the 7 sins slapped on him by the media, certainly not the media themselves. His kind of personality clashes with the entertainment culture of see nothing, do nothing, just finished the work accordingly, take the money and leave. Because of that, he has the dubious first of having the most negative media reports in China. So it wasn’t just for a good sounding title that his biography is called, “The Valiant Maverick”

Third: From the very onset of his fame, Zhou Jie has refused to accept lucrative advertising jobs or cut an album, unlike other instant stars. He has had many such offers and opportunities for he was red-hot Erkang, then. But it is against his conscience to endorse products falsely or blithely. He also said he has too much respect for his friends who are professional singers, and his fans to simply jump onto the singing bandwagon or cut an album just to make some quick bucks. (He even refused to put his name down as the author on his published books when asked to so because then he could get a kickback from the book sales. He said he does not wish to mislead his fans) If he decided to do so, (sing) he would first of all spend time and effort training. Until recently, he has only endorsed two products, (both clothing) and that was only after he built his Jie Hope Elementary School. Meaning no offence to anyone, without these two outlets, his popularity would seemingly appear less than his co-stars.

But now with the contract, his endorsements will probably increase, as have his recent public appearances and social function attendance.

Fourth: Going out on a limb on this. Generally, the fans of his co-stars are younger in age, and definitely more computer savvy and internet connected, therefore, they are more likely to post online and enter polls. In fact, newbie fans on Jie websites are urged to ignore online polls because, well, Zhou Jie himself doesn’t care, and frankly neither do his fans.

Fifth: Some of Zhou Jie’s more well-known TV series since HZ are Young Justice Bao 1, Mei Hua Dan An, Deviant Path and the infamous, LOCH. Not sure of his co-stars' hit series, but Vicki seems ladened with awards. Well, in Zhou Jie's case, a bad public image will certainly hinder an actor’s career, if not his popularity.

Something to ponder:
    Bad public image vs be true to oneself…a tough choice, very tough.
    Seasoned manager vs career freedom… personal choice and goal
    Last edited by grace; 11-26-06 at 02:48 AM. Reason: New manager is 2 Bing Bings' former manager

Wow you all wrote a lot...

That's a good question...why Zhou Jie isn't as famous as his co-stars. Now, I myself have always liked Zhou Jie the least out of the main four, because I felt he overacted as Er Kang, plus I thought he was a bit ugly, no offense. Alec Su was famous before as part of the Little Tigers, and HZGG was mostly just a chance for him to boost to fame again. As for Vicki, she clearly became the most famous of the four, since she was the title character.

Do any of you think the fact he didn't star in QSSYMM had anything to do with it? Although HZGG was a breakout role for several of the actors, I don't remember Vicki really getting all these awards and lead roles until after QSSYMM...she did a few series after HZGG but they weren't the critically acclaimed type, but I think after QSSYMM she really broke out into stardom.

grace, from what you wrote, it really does sound like you think Zhou Jie is a much more straightforward and honest person than his co-stars, and basically your idea is that fame cannot be achieved without trying to please the general audience and betraying oneself, etc. So maybe that is why Zhou Jie never got as famous as his co-stars...I think it's because his roles were never the most appealing.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

I don't think QSSYMM has to do with it, considering that it didn't help Ruby or Alec's fame--for sure didn't help Alec, but don't think it harmed him, kind of just a waste of a project. However, I think it made Ruby look worse. I think she got a lot more criticism about taking on a similar role.

I think the physical attributes might be part of it. He's certainly no pretty boy, and his features are at most average. He has a good build though and I think he looks a lot better in modern than ancient, but not really eye candy. That for sure destroys a lot of the younger fans who appeal to the looks department for Vicki, Ruby, and Alec.

I agree with Grace about the singing thing. Vicki and Ruby both released albums after HZGG when they both couldn't sing for beans (actually I think they still can't sing as of now, but at least Ruby stopped trying to milk as money out of it while Vicki is still ongoing with her albums but meh at long as her fans enjoy them), so that's definitely good on his part.

So I would say probably the management company thing and looks probably being the major factors, plus the rest. I don't think he has tooo many negative news, Vicki probably has the worse w/ that huge huge flag scandal, hitting a pregnant woman? and a bunch of other stuff, but didnt' seem to hurt her too much.

As for public images, I think Vicki and Ruby are also slowly breaking away from their "idealistic images" now that they're getting older, but Zhou Jie seems to do that from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Wow you all wrote a lot....

Yeah, I know I do ramble on, don’t I? Sometimes to nowhere at all. Even I ‘fu’ 服 myself by being so long-winded. Lol! Well, here I go again.

Yearning is right. Both Ruby and Alec were indeed greatly lambasted, at least, in Qiong Yao’s website and articles posted there. Vicki’s and Leo’s performance got less flack. IIRC, Ruby even apologized to Qiong Yao, firstly, for her insipid performance, and secondly, for reportedly saying that she had only accepted Ruping’s role out of a sense of obligation to Qiong Yao. Needless to say, Qiong Yao was less than pleased. I, myself, did not like QSSYMM at all. Ruby even said she truly wanted to film Hz 3 just so she could redeem her ‘bad’ acting in QSSYMM. Ruby’s fans can probably confirm that report.

Yearning says, "Vicki probably has the worse w/ that huge huge flag scandal,.."

Yeah, maybe Vick is Zhou Jie’s female counterpart in having the most negative publicity. Lol! But who’s fighting?

grace, from what you wrote, it really does sound like you think Zhou Jie is a much more straightforward and honest person than his co-stars, and basically your idea is that fame cannot be achieved without trying to please the general audience and betraying oneself, etc. So maybe that is why Zhou Jie never got as famous as his co-stars...I think it's because his roles were never the most appealing.
    You said it I didn’t. I said Zhou Jie’s personality does not help his cause as an actor in an environment like the Chinese entertainment where saving face and giving face is an art.

Not betraying oneself … too harsh and inappropriate. Who am I to judge people, let alone people I don’t even know. I would use ‘compromising’ one’s values. Yes, I will say outright that his co-stars, and for that matter, most stars, did compromise their values much more than Zhou Jie. How many times have his fans pleaded with Zhou Jie to just be more yuan hua, (smoother and rounder) and to turn a blind eye when dealing with the reporters. That he should sugarcoat his words more. He rebutted by saying that he would lose himself and would we as his fans still admire him?

And yes, more often than not, the road to ‘success’ cannot be a high road, but a road mired in grey morality. A recent survey among US Uni students echoed my sentiment. (Will dig out that survey if I get the time.) Sometimes the success road is so fogged up that one can actually lose oneself there, and coming out completely changed. I have to give kudos to his co-stars for their wholesome public image. I’m sorry to say I can't say that of Fan Bing Bing. At the risk of incurring her fans’ wrath, I think she took a ‘wrong’ turn with her public sex kitten makeover.

And lastly after all my rambling, like you say, looks does have a lot to do with an actor’s popularity especially with the younger generation. But I think, in the end, with good packaging and promotion from a good publicity agent coupled with good roles, looks would have less influence in the long run. Hopefully, that will hold true for Zhou Jie.
    Last edited by grace; 12-03-06 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Correct transposed words: hua yuan to huan hua

Yearning:
    Look at this video. http://video.uusee.com/vod/ents/yszx/1011zhoujie.wmv

For some reason, the link doesn't when clicked on but did when cut and paste.

Many fans groaned when they first saw this broadcast, because besides ruffling some big shots’ feathers, his words will be taken out of context by some ‘aspiring’ reporters to pen their stirring reports. Too many no nos (kamikaze) remarks here.

Things not to say in the public.
    1. Yes, the film maybe lacking indepth characterizations, which usually is the heart and soul of a successful series. Just don't say it in the public.
    2. Yes, Chinese actors, including stars, may work harder and longer hours, sometimes risking their health, than their western counterparts. Let the dark side of China entertainment remain hidden. Again, don't say it in the public.

What do you think of the interview? His rebuttal on being called a Xi ba made me smile in appreciation. That’s his call- it- as- he sees- it personality.

Some pictures to superimpose Erkang's
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.zhoujie.tv/admin/Editor/UploadFile/20061734614301.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.zhoujie.tv/admin/Editor/UploadFile/20061742114679.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.zhoujie.tv/admin/Editor/UploadFile/20064211010145.jpg') as a reporter

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.zhoujie.tv/admin/Editor/UploadFile/200612512714523.jpg') with sun fei fei

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.zhoujie.tv/admin/Editor/UploadFile/200631022540209.jpg') in MHDA

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.zhoujie.org/gallery/07.righteous/r12.jpg') Righteousness Rules
    When fans complained about Zhou Wu Wang flip-side hairstyle, Zhou Jie said when he reported for work, this very picture was taped on his dressing room’s wall. He had absolutely no say in his character’s makeover. lol!
    Last edited by grace; 12-03-06 at 06:57 PM. Reason: re-fixing the link

Ruby said that? That's surprising...I think Ruby's acting wasn't horrible, but her character sucked and was this manipulative person who seemed nice to everyone. So she didn't film HZ3 because of scheduling conflicts then?

I agree with Grace about the singing thing. Vicki and Ruby both released albums after HZGG when they both couldn't sing for beans (actually I think they still can't sing as of now, but at least Ruby stopped trying to milk as money out of it while Vicki is still ongoing with her albums but meh at long as her fans enjoy them), so that's definitely good on his part.
    I think Alec Su is the best singer of the four, but the fact that Zhou Jie didn't release an album doesn't have much to do with his popularity, IMO. I mean, when Vicki and Ruby released albums, the people who listened to them were already Vicki/Ruby's fans...there weren't a lot of people who knew them for their singing first. So besides making a few bucks, it has little to do with overall popularity in China.

I have to add I think Ruby stopped singing because she was really lacking in singing ability...no offense to Ruby fans, but she has a weak voice.

So I would say probably the management company thing and looks probably being the major factors, plus the rest. I don't think he has tooo many negative news, Vicki probably has the worse w/ that huge huge flag scandal, hitting a pregnant woman? and a bunch of other stuff, but didnt' seem to hurt her too much.
    Yeah, I'd say Vicki's gotten the most rumours as a result of her fame...but the thing with the rumours is that no one really believes they are true, people kind of just assume they are there because people want to ruin Vicki's reputation. The media's pretty tough on her with these rumours, but I don't think it really affected her popularity with her fans.

I never really heard many bad things about Zhou Jie...I haven't heard many things about him overall.

As for public images, I think Vicki and Ruby are also slowly breaking away from their "idealistic images" now that they're getting older, but Zhou Jie seems to do that from the start.
    If they're getting older, they can't always rely on being cute. I think it has more to do with the roles they are playing. After Vicki reached stardom, she gained the opportunity to take on different kinds of roles, not just the cutesy Xiao Yan Zi type roles. Can't really say the same for Ruby, who always seems to be going for the gentle, kind, likeable roles.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Grace:
    Hehe that video was interesting--yup, you can definitely see his personality through it. But I don't think he's the first "rebellious star" to say such things. He reminds me of Nicholas Tse who got frozen by TVB after filming that karate series for saying bad things about them. Same w/ Maggie Cheung who told people that she kept her Cannes award in her toilet (or something of that extent). But you have to be "big" (da wan er) in the first to be able to such things and not get your career ended. Eeg and Tvb keeps ending people's careers like crazy that it's ridiculous. I guess since he's not under a company or long-term contract, he doesn't have to worry about getting frozen.

His co-stars in HZGG have usually been very careful about what they say, but sometimes they say "daring stuff" as well. I'm not too sure about Vicki since I don't follow her news or anything, but I've heard Ruby say that the first thing she looks for in guys is looks and she definitely won't date a non-good looking guy. Now I have my own opinions about that *tsk tsk*, and it definitely isn't the best thing to say to the media, but I think she's getting bolder w/ what she dares to say now as opposed to HZGG days.

In general though, I think the entertainment business taboos are so stupid, and Zhou Jie is right about the working hours. However, the star really has to look at their own situation and judge whether they should say such things. Sometimes I guess in life, you just have to suck it up and swallow it in. Just like if you have a ***** for a boss or know that the CEO sleeps with the secretary, you can't exactly go around broadcasting that around.

As for Fan Bing Bing, I don't think it's such a bad thing that she's turning ****ty--I mean you gotta do what you gotta do to get up there. Vicki and Ruby had their ****ty period too in their early 20s when they posed in bikinis and all that, but maybe not to the extent of FBB. Personally, I don't care so much if the artist is wholesome--if they truly wanted to be so wholesome, they would stay out of the entertainment circle and pick a more "wholesome career". As long as they entertain, it's all good. As long as she doesn't go completely nude, I guess it's okay, after all, she is an artist. She's still young and has a much higher productivity than Ruby and in a couple of years, I predict she'll definitely beat Vicki if she hasn't done so already. Vicki can't seem to break into the international market.

Sparky:
    Yeah I agree, Ruby's voice is not suited for singing. Vicki's might be a bit stronger, but I hate the way she sings and kind of mumbles the lyrics. But really, if they didn't have their star status, no one would've bought their horrible CD's. That's why I say big up to Zhou Jie for not milking fans of their money if he knows he can't sing (dunno if he can, I thought he sounded okay in "Ni Shi Feng Er" if that was him). Oh right, the other reason is the nice tunes and lyrics--which has nothing to do w/ them, the singers, thanks to their companies.

No one can deny the flag thing being true though--it's kind of a fact. The pregnant lady thing, I'm guessing is probably false or at least blown out of proportion ~ sounds like something the media would cook up, but I wouldn't really know. Ruby and Alec haven't had any serious negative press besides the typical relationship rumors.

Sparky, Yearning:
    Well, my thinking is that, like endorsements, releasing an album would certainly create publicity and exposure for him, therefore keeping him in the public eye longer. He would go on promotional tours and let people have a chance to gawk at a celebrity. Imo, Zhou Jie’s voice is naturally rich and melodious but lacking in training. Yes, Zhou Jie sang Ni shi feng er, also Meng Li and HZ3 group song. If he puts his mind to it, he could be a good singer, but his heart is not in singing, it’s in acting.

We can squabble about his looks till cows come home, but I’ve to say, he is far from being ugly. The fact is, he once was and still is heavily pursued by women of all ages in China, including teenagers. Alec might have the cutest smile for a guy, but his whole package does absolutely nothing for me. Pretty boys are just not my cup of tea. Conversely, I find Zhou Jie as a whole package more appealing.

Undoubtedly, the most important factors in prolonging fame are having an astute manager and having good roles in high-profile, high budget shows. It’s how an actor is packaged, because looks, to sound cliché, is subjective.

Ruby’s ‘daring’ comments, though somewhat socially incorrect, are usually non-controversial remarks made either on her personal life or love life… No stepping on VIP toes here. Whereas, Zhou Jie’s ‘daring’ remarks are usually aimed at China showbiz’s unprofessional mindset, like the one posted above. If his whole interview is reported in full, maybe there won’t be so many hurt egos, but his interviews, often then not, are taken out of context. The first time I viewed his tv interview video vs the printed materials, I was appalled by the stark difference between what was written and what he actually said. Unlike Nicholas Tse, he doesn’t have an influential daddy. Heck, he didn’t even have a seasoned manager to smooth ruffled feathers. Although not her fan, I admire Maggie’s spunkiness ever since I read her printed interview in a magazine. I was shocked to read her barbed comments on HK showbiz. At that time, HK stars were very reticent in speaking their minds on HK showbiz. Maggie didn't mince words at all. I will not stake my life on it, but I’m pretty sure Zhou Jie is the first Mainland China actor in the younger generation set to be so outspoken about the showbiz’s problems.

I used to get so frustrated with what I deemed as him running off his mouth with the reporters, but after this conversation he had face to face with his fans in Jan 2005, I could only accept that he spoke out of love for his craft, and respect his decision.

“Oftentimes, I’ll meditate on some issues. I feel that although one’s life might be short-lived, one’s belief is timeless. If I could be a trailblazer, not that I am, I hope that I could live life to the fullest in this lifetime; to have people while recalling past actors would also recall there’s once such an actor - his perseverance, his earnestness, and that he once touched people; to have people see their lives reflected in his life story, in his words and deeds, and in his works. That is my most fervent wish. As for wealth, that’s God’s gift to me, I didn’t obtain it all by myself, so I won’t pursue it. “

Reporters would have a field day with his sentiment by gleefully painting him as an egoistical person. How dare him, a mere actor, aspired to such lofty goal as to even minimally influence China showbiz.

I totally disagree with Sparky’s comment that no one believes the rumors. Some people do believe whatever rumors are out there, and will spread them too. Once, I checked Feng Shen Bang forum on Sina for feedback. (Btw, the reviews are mostly positive.) Many posters said they hate FBB because the rumor says she is a **** who slept her way up. They also hate Zhou Jie because the rumor says he once attacked sweet Alec. These rumors are very damaging indeed to the actors’ reputation. Not to mention our very own Spcnet topic which ran something like this: “Why does Everyone hate Zhou Jie?” Even after all these years. Rumors have a way to live on; they lie dormant for a period and a kindling will quickly fire it up. Why do you think Vicki is labeled as a box office poison if not because of rumors? It must be her performance then?

As for Fan Bing Bing, I don't think it's such a bad thing that she's turning ****ty--
    ...if they truly wanted to be so wholesome, they would stay out of the entertainment circle and pick a more "wholesome career". As long as they entertain, it's all good. As long as she doesn't go completely nude, I guess it's okay...
    Yearning, I have had an inkling that you might be a male, but now I’m pretty sure. Lol You beat me to it when you said FBB is rapidly overtaking Vicky in popularity and in the notoriety that comes with it.

Digressing:
    “As long as she doesn't go completely nude”

So, Yearning, what do think you about Shui Ling and Li Bing Bing posing nude on the cover of a China health magazine, supposedly to show their support of breast cancer awareness promotion in China?

Vicki's labeled as Box Office Poison because some of her films didn't do too well in the box office...it's not because of her performance, it's just because of how the box office added up.

I have to disagree on Zhou Jie's voice, however. He has a strong voice and it is deep, but his intonation is off, as is Ruby Lin's in Ni Shi Feng Er Wo Shi Sha...the only thing that made it listen-able is the music/lyrics. Has Zhou Jie ever gotten a record deal? However, I guess if Zhou Jie did want to record an album, no one would stop him. BUT his albums wouldn't be successful without a big fanbase in acting, and his fanbase in acting is not as great as his co-stars.

grace, I understand your admiration for Zhou Jie's 'daring' comments and attempts to affect Chinese showbiz, but he just never impressed me with the acting/looks. Maybe that's just my opinion, but I think simply the reason why he was never as popular as his co-stars was because his acting/looks just didn't appeal to as wide of an audience. Does that mean his acting sucks or his looks are ugly? No, because as you said, that's subjective. It just turned out that less people liked Zhou Jie. That's that. His management could suck, but he was in HZGG, and it had a viewership of what...50%?

Finally, the Vicki flag incident...I think it was definitely a naive thing to do, if not ignorant, considering the tensions between China and Japan. And that's fact, so that's not a rumour. However, I think it's a little fishy that the woman who printed the picture of Vicki wearing the dress on the cover of a magazine was the same pregnant woman who was supposedly beaten by Vicki's chauffeur. And that same woman, after garnering the attention, later went on to spread rumours about Vicki's attitude, recreational drug use, etc.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

grace, I understand your admiration for Zhou Jie's 'daring' comments aattempts to affect Chinese showbiz, but he just never impressed me with the acting/looks. Maybe that's just my opinion, but I think simply the reason why he was never as popular as his co-stars was because his acting/looks just didn't appeal to as wide of an audience. Does that mean his acting sucks or his looks are ugly? No, because as you said, that's subjective. It just turned out that less people liked Zhou Jie. That's that. His management could suck, but he was in HZGG, and it had a viewership of what...50%?
    I agree with your accessment whole heartly. I've watched him in HZGG I-III, Legend of Huang Da Xian, and LOCH, and I personally don't find his acting very appealing. Though, I find his acting more complelling as a bad guy in LOCH than a hero in HZGG or Huang Da Xian.

LOL, do I sound that much like a guy? I'm just stating the obvious--people are after sex appeal nowadays, and FBB if getting up there w/ that. I don't know if she's slept with directors or what-not, and if she does, well I guess that's her life. Ok usually....when people pose nude, it's for sexual appeal so that was what i was getting at. I actually don't agree that much w/ the breast cancer awareness thing--not that I'm condemning it or anything, but I don't really see how posing nude necessarily fits into the bigger picture. Call me dense, but yeah, you catch people's attention, but so what? There are other ways of doing it too and expressing "natural beauty" as they call it. But that's off topic.

I actually like Zhou Jie's voice more than Alec's, although I do believe that Alec hits the notes better than Zhou Jie.

Well, if Vicki's movies didn't do well, and she's the leading actress, and that happens repeatedly, you would suspect that it may be her rather than the movie at fault each time. Though where did that box office poison come from anyway? I thought Shaolin Soccer did awesome at the box office. Dunno what other movies she did though.

As much as Zhou Jie's efforts are great and everything, I really don't think he has enough power at this point to change anything. He isn't popular enough and as Grace said, doesn't have influencial connections. He can raise awareness I guess, but I honestly didn't even know all this before Grace brought it up and I don't think most people know too much about him.

I do think it is the management company and looks though--his acting was on par w/ the rest of the HZGG co-stars and if he had better packaging, he probably would've gotten a lot more popular as well.

It just turned out that less people liked Zhou Jie. That's that. His management could suck, but he was in HZGG, and it had a viewership of what...50%?
    Who is to say he wasn’t as popular as they were then? At that time, his Xin You Qian Qian Jie website's popularity was so huge in Taiwan that it piqued Qiong Yao's curiosity. She decided to check it out herself, and soon became a regular visitor. Besides Vicki’s, do you know if the other two websites were just as popular? Zhou Jie's looks certainly did not detract Erkang’s popularity then. In fact, Qiong Yao liked his Erkang so much, his looks notwithstanding, that she englarged his Erkang's role at the expense of Alec. Let the fact speaks for itself. Now why would QQ cut down Alec's screen time if he was much popular than Zhou Jie? Don't compute. Remember, QQ is a shrew business woman. Then with his Young Justice Bao1 hot on his Erkang’s heels, Zhou Jie’s stock skyrocketed in China, if one is to go by Young bao rating. His looks as Bao Zheng did not hurt, either. Was he as popular as his co-stars then, who knows, do you? IRCC, his Justice Bao I TVB rating trounced that of Vicki’s Treasure Venture when they were aired side by side in HK. Since I couldn't locate the report, I will stand corrected if wrong. In my forage to locate the elusive report, I found this instead stars paycheck

china stars paychecks for episode reported in sina Oct 2 2000
    name    old fees new fees  increase
    6. Zhoujie  5,000  20,000  15,000
    7. Vicki   5,000  12,000  7,000

If fee increment is an indication of being more bankable, then by these numbers, Zhou Jie was definitely twice as bankable as Vicki in year 2000. His looks certainly did not hurt his popularity, at least, not with the powers that be. Now, what projects were the other two co-stars working on then? How were their TV series ratings? His role in a movie " Are you lonesome tonight" garnered him a nomination for the 2001 best actor in Hundred Flowers Award As you know, that award is a popularity award based on online polls. Obviously, his looks or acting didn't hurt him either. Was he as popular as his co-stars then, probably, I don't know for sure, do you? In the end though, Yang Kang did him in. Now added to the group who hated Erkang's mushiness, (more than his looks) is a group of irate Jing Yong's fans. Admittedly, this time his looks had a lot to do with its failure. But if he has had a high-powered agent to help him ride out that misfortune by landing him on subsequent good roles and by smoothing out his bad press, his stock would not have dropped so drastically. Undoubtedly, physical appearance helps enormously, but stardom is all about packaging and good roles that only a seasoned agent could help. One doesn’t even need good acting ability to be famous judging by the rash of popular celebrities, nowadays.

“it's just because of how the box office added up”

Now that’s a cop out response! There must be some reason(s) for this phenomenon. Some of the movies are blockbusters, right? I really can’t say much on this subject because, to fair, I’ve only watched Shaolin Soccer and Warriors of Heaven and Earth. But I’m truly intrigued as to why? Care to venture to explain why she is tagged with such a derogatory label?

Yearning:
    I too prefer Zhou Jie’s voice to Alec’s. But I agree that Zhou Jie’s intonation needs work before becoming a singer, and he knows it. And of course, Alec, being a professional singer since teenage years will, of course, know his trade inside out. So when it comes to hitting the right notes, there’s no contest between the two. I don’t really mind Vicki’s singing. I thought her “you yi ge gu liang’ was cute and her QSSYMM songs weren’t bad at all. But Ruby just ain’t cut out to be a singer.

Well, I’d say Vicki acted the best out of the four followed by Zhou Jie, then Alec. But Ruby’s performance was mediocre. But she was lucky to look the part of Ziwei, else she would have been axed by Qiong Yao in the early weeks of production.

I so totally agree that Zhou Jie won’t be able to change one iota whatsoever in China showbiz works, even if he was popular. This is communist China we’re talking about. Anyway, showbiz in whichever country has only one language, ie, the money talk. And connections with the mob would help too, of course. lol But I think his outspokenness did embolden some younger actors to also daringly voice their discontent about their working conditions. I happened to come across such articles because Zhou Jie’s name was mentioned in the same breath. Those of us who followed his news feel that in the last couple years, the China press is less censorious of Zhou Jie’s outspokenness and script editing tendency.

Unless you keep tab on him or live in China, you would of course know nothing much about him. Like if I didn’t get on Spcnet, I would not know much about the other HZ co-stars, or on any other actors for the matter, either. Spcnet helps me keep pace with showbiz when I need some amusement breaks.
    Last edited by grace; 11-25-06 at 05:29 AM. Reason: China stars paycheck 2000

although he's not your generic handsome dude, he's actually an okay actor, except for his performance in LOCH 2003. Couldn't tolerate his Yang Kang.

Quote Originally Posted by grace

Well, I’d say Vicki acted the best out of the four followed by Zhou Jie, then Alec. But Ruby’s performance was mediocre. But she was lucky to look the part of Ziwei, else she would have been axed by Qiong Yao in the early weeks of production. ..
    slightly off topic but I read somewhere that Ruby *was* nearly axed after QY saw some of her work and didn't think her acting was good enough, bt she didn't want to hurt Ruby's self esteem so kep her on or something.

Some very Telling Headlines on Zhou JIe's looks and popularity in China

1. 2004-09-14 Critique of the Ten Best Costume Characterization -- Bao Zheng (Excerpt)
    Dark skin with a crescent-shaped scar on the forehead, is the unique feature of Bao Zheng's characterization, this is not so special. Yet there is a notable aura when placed on Zhou Jie, wisdom pierces through foolery, steadfast yet innocent, it seems this character fits him even more so than Er Kang. With eyebrows slanting up, the air of righteousness is presented in totality. A layer of black chiffon covering his long gown is quite creative, scholarly and urbane, copied later in its entirety on Song YuanQiao and other WuDang heroes in the Mainland production, 《The Legend of Twin Swords》. The entire production of 《Young Bao Qing Tian》, is very eloquent, a rare paragon among Wu Shu series produced in the Mainland. headline1

2. Zhou Jie is the hottest in the Golden Eagle Awards Nomination.
    "Young Justice Bao" is first with "Ji Xiao Lan" fast at it's heals.....From the nomination on the net, heading the list of artistes are Zhou Jie, LuYi, ChenKun, LiYaPeng, RenQuan, HuangHaiBing, XuQing, LiBingBing, ZhouXun, XuJingLei, LiXiaoRan, YuFeiHong. They are a group of idols at the tip of the apex in China.
    Guess what, no mention of Vicki, this being a China award, the other 2 co-stars were not eligible. But judging from this nomination, Zhou Jie's popularity was certainly not below that of his co-stars. On the contrary, it seems to me, he was arguably more popular than them.
    headline2 May 2 , 2001 - Xing Bao

3. China’s top 4 actors pretty as a flower

Zhou Jie was in the running for the title.
    看起来很美的“男色时代” 四个面孔俊美、打扮阴柔的台湾男子率先打出“像花一样的男子”的旗号,点燃了美男风暴的烽火。从去年开始, 各地媒体围绕谁是大陆的四大小生、八大花样男子的各种评选就从没停过。李亚鹏、陆毅、黄磊、刘烨、周杰、陈 坤、胡兵等人悉数入围,被逐一点评。headline3 2003-03-17

4. 2001 China’s Top Four Actors 2001年聚焦中国四大小生
    headline4

5. Eye candies: China’s 6 undefeated hunks 养眼:中国内地六大无敌英俊小生五、专一公子周杰 headline 52005 aug 22nd

So there you have it. There are many more such headlines if one cares to search the web. But you get the gist: looks is subjective and popularity is a perception created and hyped up by promotions and such. The perception is heightened if one can't read Chinese (not saying you can't) or just browse spcnet or websites where Zhou Jie is dissed.

Quote Originally Posted by hmschocolate
    slightly off topic but I read somewhere that Ruby *was* nearly axed after QY saw some of her work and didn't think her acting was good enough, bt she didn't want to hurt Ruby's self esteem so kep her on or something.
    Hmschocolate: Can you read Chinese? Here's what Qiong Yao wrote in her website.

我当天就看了那部戏,而且把它录下来,一看再看。看得我胆战心惊,冷汗直冒。说实话,心如在那部戏里,确实 表现不佳。。。。。当时,心如拍的戏,总共只有三场,我们连夜把三场戏都剪接出来。我看了,觉得心如的扮相 还不错,只是口白比较弱,没有抑扬顿挫。尤其和周杰一起配戏,周杰的口白太好,就显得心如有些稚嫩。于是, 我们又把那三场戏,送去配音,配好音,再仔细研究。

心如一连好多天,化好妆不拍戏,心里也有些感觉了。她的经纪人Amy得到消息,更是伤心欲绝,后悔死了以前 接的那部戏,整天以泪洗面。我面临了一个大问题,不顾一切拍下去,还是换角。这件事困扰了我足足一个星期, 想到林心如年纪轻轻,要受到这么大的打击,我实在于心不忍。但是,不换角,我要背负起所有成败的责任,我的 压力也实在很大。最后,有一天,我和Amy谈到换角后,心如将何去何从?Amy哭得唏哩哗啦,我也跟着落泪 了。想想,不过是一部戏嘛,就算赌输了,不过是输掉一部戏,总比毁掉一个心如好。我终于下了决心,说:『算 了!她演下去,后果我来扛吧!』心如就这样留下来了....

Gist: Qiong Yao was troubled when she saw Ruby's performance from a previous show. She quickly checked out three finished episodes rushed from China. Ruby's Ziwei look was ok, but her line delivery was very weak, especially when viewed against Zhou Jie's because his was outstanding. 周杰的口白太好. Obviously, her acting didn't impress her much because after viewing, she was seriously considering axing her. But Ruby's look saved her Ziwei role, and of course, groveling by one's agent did not hurt either. lol! She went to mention that Ruby's performance was very strigently monitored throughtout the production.

I think Vicki's acting WAS the best out of the 4, but right now, after seeing Moment in Peking, I have to disagree. Well, lemme think, Alec was absolutely atrocious in Love of the Aegean Sea, Ruby was alright in her series (I agree, not that much change), and Zhou Jie, I have yet to see anything, but I would almost say that Vicki is declining in her acting.

Anyhow, I think Ruby also said some time about how Zhou Jie tried to take advantage of her? Or she hinted it in an interview I think, and she was talking about how they had disagreements about how to kiss in HZGG.

I still think he overacted a bit in HZGG though, especially in the scenes where he was belting out his love for Ziwei. I haven't seen any of his other works, but he strikes me as the type that's more appropriate to be in stage plays.