Thread: Chan Jen Nam vs. Chan Ga Lok

Default Chan Jen Nam vs. Chan Ga Lok

Because the Sung, Yuan, and Ming Dynasty fighters shouldn't have *all* the fun.

They both lived during the Qing Dynasty.

They both led anti-Qing rebellions (the Heaven and Earth Society and the Red Flower Society).

They both shared the surname "Chan."

So how would a fight between these two latter-day Jin Yong stalwarts go?

Chen Jia Lo of the Book and Sword will defeat Chen Jian Nam of DOMD.

Han Solo

Is that mainly because Chan Ga Lok gets the Main Character Boost, or was he quite obviously a better fighter than Chan Jen Nam?

They're both pretty low level fighters if compared to the greats of the Condor trilogy and even TTLB since by Qing time jianhu has lost all the external ranged energy blasts like the Shen Long 18 Palm and the Da Li Jin Gan Ji. Neither of those 2 showed any sign of great internal energy and only relied of sword skills.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Chen Jia Lo of the Book and Sword will defeat Chen Jian Nam of DOMD.

Han Solo
    Chen Jinnan was capable of coagulating adversaries blood using his Blood Coagulative Divine Claws [凝血神抓].
    Chen Jialuo and other people of the Qianlong era could not accomplish feats like that, not even anything remotely close to that.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    Chen Jinnan was capable of coagulating adversaries blood using his Blood Coagulative Divine Claws [凝血神抓].
    Chen Jialuo and other people of the Qianlong era could not accomplish feats like that, not even anything remotely close to that.
    But you said Chen Jialuo would beat Chen Jinnan.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    But you said Chen Jialuo would beat Chen Jinnan.

I don't remember her ever saying that. Besides, people in Flying Fox, Young Flying Fox, and Book and Sword relied heavily on their physical strength whereas people in DOMD still relied on their inner power a lot. I doubt the top fighters in Book and Sword would be able to even match 3rd rate fighters in DOMD. By 3rd rate, I'm talking about people like Hai Tai Fu, the fake queen, the 5 dragon leaders of the Dragon Sect, etc..

Chan Jinnan happens to be a 2nd class fighter in DOMD so no contest from Chin Jialuo.
    No longer walking amongst the living...

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

won't both of these guys members of heaven and earth society. in fact won't they both leaders. where they related, fater and (grand)son? perhaps. who came before who.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Is that was Feng Xifan, The Bloodless Swordsman that you are talking about?

I can't exactly remember Chen Jinnan exhibiting such a feat, can you pls highlight the passage?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Is that mainly because Chan Ga Lok gets the Main Character Boost, or was he quite obviously a better fighter than Chan Jen Nam?
    I was basing this on my recollection of Chen Jia Lao learning sword intention, creating his own unique techniques after the sparring matches in shaolin. By the end of the novel, Chen Jia Lao was pretty much the top fighter in the wulin, apart from retired veterans.

Chen Jiannan, OTOH, while being praised for his leadership and strength, never really exhibited much in terms of fighting prowess as far as i can remember. (Obviously, Athena will correct my misconception).

Han Solo

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    won't both of these guys members of heaven and earth society. in fact won't they both leaders. where they related, fater and (grand)son? perhaps. who came before who.

No relations and wrong societies, dude. Chan Jinan was the leader of Heaven and Earth Society or Tin Di Wue and Chan Ga Lok was the leader of Hung Fa Wue or Red Flower Society.

In JY's universe, obviously Chan Jinan came before Chan Ga Lok. I don't know about real history or enough of these two historical figures to say anything about them historically.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Is that was Feng Xifan, The Bloodless Swordsman that you are talking about?

I can't exactly remember Chen Jinnan exhibiting such a feat, can you pls highlight the passage?

I was basing this on my recollection of Chen Jia Lao learning sword intention, creating his own unique techniques after the sparring matches in shaolin. By the end of the novel, Chen Jia Lao was pretty much the top fighter in the wulin, apart from retired veterans.

Chen Jiannan, OTOH, while being praised for his leadership and strength, never really exhibited much in terms of fighting prowess as far as i can remember. (Obviously, Athena will correct my misconception).

Han Solo
    Feng Xifan could generate his internal energy that way that he used the tip of the sword as an acu-point sealing weapon without puncturing his adversary.
    Chen Jinnan, who was an equal to Feng Xifan, displayed the feat of coagulating people's blood in chapter 14.

[陳近南送到門邊,在他身邊低聲道:“李賢弟,适才愚兄不知你是友是敵,多有得罪,抓住你足踝之時使了暗勁。 這勁力兩個時辰之后便發作。你不可絲毫動勁化解,在泥地掘出個洞穴,全身埋在其中,只露出口鼻呼吸,每日埋 四個時辰,共須掩埋七天,便無后患。”
    李西華一惊,大聲道:“我已中了你的‘凝血神抓’?”
    陳近南道:“賢弟勿須惊恐,依此法化解,絕無大患。愚兄魯莽得罪,賢弟勿怪。”李西華臉上惊惶之色隨即隱去 ,笑道:“那是小弟自作自受。”歎了口所,道:“今日始知天外有天,人上有人。”躬身行禮飄然 而去。
    柳大洪道:“陳總舵主,你在他身上施了‘凝血神抓’?听說中此神抓之,三天后全身血液慢慢凝結,變成了漿糊 一般,無藥可治,到底是否如此?”陳近南道:“這功夫太過陰毒,小弟素來不敢輕施,只是見他武功厲害,又竊 听了我們的机密,不明他是何居心,才暗算了他。這可不是光明磊落的行徑,說來慚愧。”]

By the way, Li Xihua was a good guy. He was the son of Li Yan. Li Yan, strategist of Li Zicheng and wrongfully accused of treachery and was forced to commit suicide. (Maybe he killed himself more out of disappointment). But Li Yan in the Blood Stained with Royal Blood was also Yuan Chengzhi's sworn brother.

And yes, Han, as you said I have corrected you. Will you like normal not respond to the "given answer?"
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by someguy44

In JY's universe, obviously Chan Jinan came before Chan Ga Lok. I don't know about real history or enough of these two historical figures to say anything about them historically.

I thought Chen Jialuo came first?

Quote Originally Posted by someguy44
    Chan Jinnan happens to be a 2nd class fighter in DOMD so no contest from Chin Jialuo.
    Hmm, I thought Chen Jinnan would be 3rd class, since he is said to be one class below Holy Dragon Sect Leader Hong Antong, who is one class below the One-armed Nun (who has apparently reached the peak of perfection in martial arts).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by junzi
    I thought Chen Jialuo came first?
    Nope, Chen Jinnan was there during Kang Xi's reign and Chen Jialuo was there during Qiang Long's reign. Kang Xi is Qian Long's grandpa.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Hmm, I thought Chen Jinnan would be 3rd class, since he is said to be one class below Holy Dragon Sect Leader Hong Antong, who is one class below the One-armed Nun (who has apparently reached the peak of perfection in martial arts).
    Well, I never really consider Hong Antong to be that much below the likes of 9 Lan or Gra Sun Shui. So, I just group them as one class.

Feng Xifan could generate his internal energy that way that he used the tip of the sword as an acu-point sealing weapon without puncturing his adversary.
    Chen Jinnan, who was an equal to Feng Xifan, displayed the feat of coagulating people's blood in chapter 14.

[陳近南送到門邊,在他身邊低聲道:“李賢弟,适才愚兄不知你是友是敵,多有得罪,抓住你足踝之時使了暗勁。 這勁力兩個時辰之后便發作。你不可絲毫動勁化解,在泥地掘出個洞穴,全身埋在其中,只露出口鼻呼吸,每日埋 四個時辰,共須掩埋七天,便無后患。”
    李西華一惊,大聲道:“我已中了你的‘凝血神抓’?”
    陳近南道:“賢弟勿須惊恐,依此法化解,絕無大患。愚兄魯莽得罪,賢弟勿怪。”李西華臉上惊惶之色隨即隱去 ,笑道:“那是小弟自作自受。”歎了口所,道:“今日始知天外有天,人上有人。”躬身行禮飄然 而去。
    柳大洪道:“陳總舵主,你在他身上施了‘凝血神抓’?听說中此神抓之,三天后全身血液慢慢凝結,變成了漿糊 一般,無藥可治,到底是否如此?”陳近南道:“這功夫太過陰毒,小弟素來不敢輕施,只是見他武功厲害,又竊 听了我們的机密,不明他是何居心,才暗算了他。這可不是光明磊落的行徑,說來慚愧。”]

By the way, Li Xihua was a good guy. He was the son of Li Yan. Li Yan, strategist of Li Zicheng and wrongfully accused of treachery and was forced to commit suicide. (Maybe he killed himself more out of disappointment). But Li Yan in the Blood Stained with Royal Blood was also Yuan Chengzhi's sworn brother.

And yes, Han, as you said I have corrected you. Will you like normal not respond to the "given answer?"
    Thanks for the answer, Athena.

Would appreciate it more if you can translate for me.

Don't understand the last part of your post though.

Han Solo

p/s: Working nights this week, next week, when i'm free, i hope to compile the feats of Chen Jia Lao, to show that he is stronger than some of us thought of.