Thread: Did East Heretic and South Emperor dislike one another?

Default Did East Heretic and South Emperor dislike one another?

They never even meet in LOCH and never speak to each other in ROCH. At the 2nd Hua Shan, after converting Qiu Qianren, Yi Deng just leaves even though Hong Qigong asks him to wait until Huang Yaoshi shows up. In ROCH, even though they spend a considerable amount of time together at the end of the book, they never say so much as a word to each other. Makes me wonder if they didn't really get along.

It could also be that they understand each other so well that it wasn't really necessary for them to communicate.

This was just one of the scenes where we can find them working together:

Guo Jing was waiting at the top of the city wall and saw it was his father-in-law, wife, Reverend Yideng, Zhou Botong and company. He was delighted and quickly went forth to receive them. He saw that Lu Wushuang had been hit by an arrow in the waist; three arrows were lodged in Zhou Botong’s back and his eyebrows were scorched by fire. The two people were badly injured. Cheng Ying and Yinggu also suffered arrow wounds but their condition was not so serious. Yideng and Huang Yaoshi had deep medical knowledge but when they examined Zhou Botong and Lu Wushuang, they frowned and remained silent.

Zhou Botong laughed, “Duke Duan, don’t fret, this Old Urchin won’t die so easily. You should spend more effort treating that beauty Lu Wushuang.” He had always made monkey faces at Huang Yaoshi but he respected Yideng and was perhaps even fearful of him. Yideng had become a monk many years ago but Zhou Botong still addressed him as ‘Duke Duan’. Huang Yaoshi and Yideng saw that he had a high tolerance to pain so they smiled and stopped worrying. Lu Wushuang, however, was still unconscious.
    Excerpt taken from RoCH Chapter 39, translated by me.

Their relationship was cordial and respectful, but lacked the camaraderie that East Heretic Wong Yerk See shared with North Beggar Hung 7 Gung. Of all the Greats, Wong Yerk See and Deun Chi Hing/1 Deng saw each other the least over the years...not so much because they disliked each other (which they didn't), but because their activities didn't naturally bring them into contact with each other much. They met on two occassions that we know of: the First Mt. Hua Sword Tournament and at the Battle of Seung Yeung Fortress that ended ROCH some sixty or perhaps even seventy years later.

Remember, YD was quite friendly with HR and praised her father about his excellent pills, even a bit of nostalgia.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

The two probably have very deep respect towards each other, but they had very different personalities. Imagine halfway during their conversation:

HYS: Brother Duan, do you know, there was once this dumpling seller, instead of the usual 4 dumplings in a bowl, he only gave me 3! I asked him to compensate and give me 5, which he did. Then, I used the 5th dumpling as a pebble, and with one flick, I killed him. Now, that was fun.

Yideng: ...