Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Feng Zai Jiang Hu

Forgot to mention, that this series really stands out amongst others for being nicely coherent- no dramatic loop holes in the logic and character motivations.

And also for having great interactions between the major and relatively minor characters-

click to show/hide spoilers

e.g., by the end you can really see that the princes and the princess really act like a family, Yun Xiao Xiao and his shifu have a beautiful (if tragic) relationship, Feng Huang's words at her father's funeral were heart-breaking ("I understood too lae that making the people you love happy is the most important thing in the world... if I could turn back time, I would have been with my father every day and make each the happiest that I could"), Yun Xiao Xiao and her Qing Feng (his shi-mei) have a connection over decades of spending each day today which is also very special and a love of sorts.

I like how they explore all the different aspects of love. All the complexities and layers and ways people can care for one another.

More thoughts (I guess I really am fascinated by this series- I actually went back and rewatched some parts of it!)

1) Feng Huang really does get some lovely costumes- I'm thinking of her yellow "maid's costume", her initial silver dress with golden overall and silver hair ribbons, her white costume with black trim (her riding outfit), her purple with white lace (fighting outfit) costume, her 'plain clothes' outfit when travelling with Xiao Xiao to Yan mountain. Or perhaps its more accurate to say that she makes her costumes look lovely! My favorite of her is her white outfit with black lace rim, partly because she looked so elegant in it, but also because Xiao Xiao wears a matching white with black trim costume and together they make such a beautiful pair!

2) I actually love the interaction between Feng Huang and her friends, e.g.,
    a) with the 2nd prince- they seem to have such an easy, friendly camaradie; Lots of joking around, fighting and scheming together about Feng Ting or Xiao Xiao. Actually, when interacting with Feng Huang was the only time I found the 2nd prince an interesting character. With Qing Ting, he was much too tragic and "dazzled by love". He seldom was without a mischevious smile with Feng Huang (except for when he was wincing in pain after getting hit by her! )
    b) with the disciple of Mei "Miracle Thief" and also Mei's daughter- them three and Xiao Xiao have great camaradie, there's lots of shared experiences endured, lots of the teasing, fighting, plotting, out-witting each other. From their initial mutual jealousy (Miracle Theif praised Xiao Xiao to his daughter and disciple) and verbal barbs, through learning to love and respect each other. Plus, I quite like the fact that Mei and her shi-xiong seemed to have, at some points, crushes on the very attractive Xiao Xiao and Feng Huang. Nothing accentuates the attractiveness of characters as looking at them through the eyes of others who hold them in high regard!
    Overall, my take-away is that Feng Huang really is the spark in the series, the center of lots of happy times with friends!

3) Did I mention the love-hate relationship between the princes and the king? Another interesting interaction- and it was actually very touching how the princes reacted to his death.

4) Also like the limited use of CGI, love the way Xiao Xiao fights... sigh, quite enough to swoon over!

5) The ending: I agree with everyone that they rushed it a great deal. I wish they developed some of the relationships better.

I'm sad too because it seems like Xiao Xiao would have liked to be with his first love (Jiao Er?), and that he only stayed with Feng Huang because Jiao Er(?) left with her Shi-Xiong- in her words "Because you (her Shi-xiong) need me more than he(Xiao Xiao) does." Too bad, since I liked him with Feng Huang better. He smiles more, he learns to respect her strengths and does anyone notice how their strengths are complementary, in spite of, or maybe because of, their very different upbringing? Plus its hard to ignore how smart, dynamic, loyal and beautiful Feng Huang is!
    Last edited by yanfeng; 04-24-08 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Add spoiler tag

yanfeng - I love your views on this serie, moreover your character analyses. Indeed, Feng Huang character was sparkling in this serie, and her feelings towards Yun Xiao Xiao was very touching. We know very well Feng Huang's feelings towards Yun Xiao Xiao as she showed them very clearly, however, I'm very confused as what Yun Xiao Xiao feels towards Feng Huang. As first he saw her as a kid and knew very well that she admired him as a swordman, since she has several times asked him to be her master. Then gradually her feelings changed and at one point she even proclaimed to everybody that he's going to marry her in order to save him, not to mention the moment when she jumped down the mountain with him. However, when it comes to Yun Xiao Xiao, I'm totally confused. Of course I know that during their time spending together during hardship, he also gradually developed feelings towards Feng Huang, however, I'm uncertain what was he thinking in that head of his. Like in episode #36 after they has returned to his master, he asked his master to ask Feng Huang to return home. Then in episode #37 he was crying remembering all those things that she has done for him.

By the way, do you know what they were talking about in episode #37 at the beginning, when Feng Huang came visited him a last time before she returned home?

So far I was only able to translate their last conversation in episode #42.

I'm a little curious as why he finally decided to be with Feng Huang, otherwise he wouldn't come looking for her at that place.
    I GO WHERE THE WIND BLOWS.

Hi Windcross,

Re: Their conversation at the beginning of 37

Actually their conversation at the beginning of 37 is quite nicely "under dramatic".

They're both very controlled- he asks when she's leaving, she asks after his leg, he reassures her, she's grateful that they made it through at last, he says he wouldn't have survived to this point without her. They look away, then he hastily covers the silence by offering her food, she says its been awhile since they've had so much food, they silently pile food into each others bowls (have you noticed how much offering food is a display of affection in Asian cultures? )

He says if she doesn't want to go, she can stay for another few days, she asks how long she can stay- a lifetime? He calls it a joke, and she says okay, if I can't stay for long, I might as well go tomorrow. They talk about Yan mountain being a safe place for Xiao Xiao, they discuss her father, her sister, and the snow sword. She offers to bring the sword to him, and he says no, he wouldn't need it now. She jumps up and almost shouts that if he wouldn't use it, she will- to avenge him! He says no, as I promised you to live, so you must promise me. She says ok, even if we don't meet again, let's live on happily for each other.

Its a great scene, they always seem to be on the verge of saying what they really feel ("she bu de"- not able to bear parting) but they never do.

As for Xiao Xiao's reasons at the end

As I mentioned, no reasons are given for his choice, and although its clear he loves Feng Huang, he has also mentioned many times that in his heart Yao Yan (his first love) is still the person with the most weight.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    Hi Windcross,

Re: Their conversation at the beginning of 37

Actually their conversation at the beginning of 37 is quite nicely "under dramatic".

They're both very controlled- he asks when she's leaving, she asks after his leg, he reassures her, she's grateful that they made it through at last, he says he wouldn't have survived to this point without her. They look away, then he hastily covers the silence by offering her food, she says its been awhile since they've had so much food, they silently pile food into each others bowls (have you noticed how much offering food is a display of affection in Asian cultures? )

He says if she doesn't want to go, she can stay for another few days, she asks how long she can stay- a lifetime? He calls it a joke, and she says okay, if I can't stay for long, I might as well go tomorrow. They talk about Yan mountain being a safe place for Xiao Xiao, they discuss her father, her sister, and the snow sword. She offers to bring the sword to him, and he says no, he wouldn't need it now. She jumps up and almost shouts that if he wouldn't use it, she will- to avenge him! He says no, as I promised you to live, so you must promise me. She says ok, even if we don't meet again, let's live on happily for each other.

Its a great scene, they always seem to be on the verge of saying what they really feel ("she bu de"- not able to bear parting) but they never do.

First, thanks for your reply, secondly, did Feng Huang really planning in that episode not to Yun Xiao Xiao again after she returned home?

As for Xiao Xiao's reasons at the end

As I mentioned, no reasons are given for his choice, and although its clear he loves Feng Huang, he has also mentioned many times that in his heart Yao Yan (his first love) is still the person with the most weight.
    I don't really know either, that's why I'm so confused. Yun Xiao Xiao makes me thinking of another character from another serial, Liu Bo Wen. Like Yun Xiao Xiao, he is a caring person, thus almost every females that encountered him ending up falling for him. However, unlike, Yun Xiao Xiao, he is only in love with his martial arts little sister, Ah Xiu, and that never changes throughout the serie.

Okay, Windcross, been thinking about it, and think I have a resolution in my mind that I like regarding the ending

I don't understand who YXX loves 'more' (whatever that means) but he loves FH enough to:
    1) Wake up for her when he was unconscious
    2) Bend his principles for her when he saw her struggling
    3) Be with her the rest of their lives, even marrying her- not a promise he would make lightly
    4) Promise her that he would live the best he can regardless of his circumstances (and it was touching that FH first said that they together would help defend his promise and later also promised him the same even if they never met again!)

Even if his first love 'has more weight' in his heart, the above gives me a sense of how much he loves FH and that's good enough to satisfy me!

Quote Originally Posted by WindCross View Post
    First, thanks for your reply, secondly, did Feng Huang really planning in that episode not to Yun Xiao Xiao again after she returned home?

She did- it was part of Xiao Xiao's plan. He wanted Feng Huang to leave.

When FH called to him asking him to please regain consciousness, she pretended to be Yao Yan (his first love) since she knew he loved her.

XX woke up and, addressing her as Yao Yan, held her hand and asked her how she came to him. It was very sad, FH's grateful- thank goodness XX was recovering!- yet intensely sad eyes- XX woke up for YaoYan which was proof XX still loved YY, so though it was her hand he held, it was YanYan he spoke to- were wonderful in a tragic way.

XX knew it was FH but deliberately did this to push her away, he believed that getting her away from the environment of Yan mountain would help FH forget him. After that, XX and his shifu gently let FH know that she wasn't welcomed in Yan mountain, and she decided to leave gracefully, with no plans to return. Afterall XX was now in the safest place possible, didn't need her anymore, and didn't even seem to want her around.

Wink

She did- it was part of Xiao Xiao's plan. He wanted Feng Huang to leave.

When FH called to him asking him to please regain consciousness, she pretended to be Yao Yan (his first love) since she knew he loved her.

XX woke up and, addressing her as Yao Yan, held her hand and asked her how she came to him. It was very sad, FH's grateful- thank goodness XX was recovering!- yet intensely sad eyes- XX woke up for YaoYan which was proof XX still loved YY, so though it was her hand he held, it was YanYan he spoke to- were wonderful in a tragic way.

XX knew it was FH but deliberately did this to push her away, he believed that getting her away from the environment of Yan mountain would help FH forget him. After that, XX and his shifu gently let FH know that she wasn't welcomed in Yan mountain, and she decided to leave gracefully, with no plans to return. Afterall XX was now in the safest place possible, didn't need her anymore, and didn't even seem to want her around.
    How did you know Yun Xiao Xiao knew it was Feng Huang's hand he was holding and not Yao Yan's? Did he confess that to his master? And also, when his master was dying, he mentioned Feng Huang, what did he say to Yun Xiao Xiao about Feng Huang?

Wink

Okay, Windcross, been thinking about it, and think I have a resolution in my mind that I like regarding the ending

I don't understand who YXX loves 'more' (whatever that means) but he loves FH enough to:
    1) Wake up for her when he was unconscious
    2) Bend his principles for her when he saw her struggling
    3) Be with her the rest of their lives, even marrying her- not a promise he would make lightly
    4) Promise her that he would live the best he can regardless of his circumstances (and it was touching that FH first said that they together would help defend his promise and later also promised him the same even if they never met again!)

Even if his first love 'has more weight' in his heart, the above gives me a sense of how much he loves FH and that's good enough to satisfy me!

Yeah, it seems from your analyse, that may be enough reasons as why he finally picked Feng Huang at the end. Because I'm too don't think Yun Xiao Xiao is that kind of guy that would only stay with a girl out of the sense of obligation. Maybe the reason why he gave chase to Yao Yan after the Gathering, was to settle their relationship, who knows.

I know, I'm more than a little silly being this obsessed, but really like to share what I love about the Feng Huang/Yun Xiao Xiao pairing- another small thing I love, they have a real ability to smile at each other in the most sad of circumstances!

When they first meet, her attack on him is greeted with a mischievous smile, when FH begs for YXX's life, he bends over and, helping her to her feet, smiles at her. He also has a beautiful smile for her just before he jumps down the cliff. They keep smiling through in their "parting" scene on Yan mountain.

The smiles seem to tell me that they have a strength together that they may not have alone- its lovely to watch!

Favorite line is from FH: "Let us together, guard this promise." when YXX told her that his promise to live on happily was the hardest yoke he had to bear.

Wink

I know, I'm more than a little silly being this obsessed, but really like to share what I love about the Feng Huang/Yun Xiao Xiao pairing- another small thing I love, they have a real ability to smile at each other in the most sad of circumstances!
    Well, talking about obsession, you're not the only one. Like you, I've really fallen in love with this serie.

Wink Great news to all the Viet fans

It seems like Phoenix Swing has been released in Viet. I found it at this online store: www.abcphim.com

Quote Originally Posted by linger View Post
    i think this is a mainland series. has anyone watched it? its hard to find any pictures, and does anyone know the cast?
    i know zhao hong fei/yun xiao xiao, da jiao qing/feng huang, cao ying/qing ting, but whats the name of the actress who played qing feng?
    please post, and thanks.

Qing Feng is played by Han Xiao http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Han_Xiao

I watched this series a while back on Tudou, it was okay. I really like Yun Xiao Xiao and Feng Huang... but the other parts were lacking.

Talking

Oh, I almost forgot, I've created a thread for this serie at d-addicts forum, which I've put up some pictures of the cast and information.

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_60271.htm

I hope the fans would find it useful in some way.

Last edited by WindCross; 10-07-08 at 08:02 PM.

Talking

Oh, I almost forgot, I've created a thread for this serie at d-addicts forum, which I've put up some pictures of the cast and information.

I hope the fans would find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by WindCross View Post

I hope the fans would find it useful.
    Oh thanks for the info.
    I <3 MatsuJun

Forever Fahrenheit (飛輪海) - Jiro & Arron = <3