Thread: Why did Zhang Sanfeng become a Taoist?

Default Why did Zhang Sanfeng become a Taoist?

Initially, Zhang Sanfeng was a little monk in the Shaolin temple. He was there for around 15 years, so Buddhism tenet must have had a strong influence on him. Futhermore, he learned 9 Yang Zhen Jing. Though 9 Yang was a mix of the 3 Religions in the Ancient China, it was still a book of Buddhism scriptures.
    That makes me not able to understand why Zhang Sanfeng became a Taoist instead of returning to the secular life or moving to another temple to keep training as a monk after he left the Shaolin temple.

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    Though 9 Yang was a mix of the 3 Religions in the Ancient China, it was still a book of Buddhism scriptures.
    To be more precise, it was hidden within a book of Buddhist scriptures. The 9 Yeung Jen Ging itself was an inner training manual based on Taoist principles; it was not a book about philosophy or religion per se, however.

I believe that Cheung Gwun Bo became a Taoist because after the way the Shaolin monks treated Gok Yeun and him, he probably became somewhat disillusioned with Buddhism.

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    Initially, Zhang Sanfeng was a little monk in the Shaolin temple. He was there for around 15 years, so Buddhism tenet must have had a strong influence on him. Futhermore, he learned 9 Yang Zhen Jing. Though 9 Yang was a mix of the 3 Religions in the Ancient China, it was still a book of Buddhism scriptures.
    i don't think he's a monk, he's just a little servant boy who serves his master that's all, he's not even a shaolin disciple

and i don't think he's really taoist, he's more like a "taoist wannabe" / 野道士, from the way he talks, acts and a sense of humor he doesn't look like a taist at all o_O (Compare to the quan zhen guys)

well from the novel JY said taoism is a better way to manage QI

i don't get the feeling that he was practicing Taoist either. i always found it seem to be an excuse of why he never married. similar situation to WCY in ROCH (founder of the sect next to the Tomb sect -- sorry too lazy to look it up)?

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

since he was a runaway from shaolin, which was the head of all buddhist schools. he could not enter any other buddhist school without shaolin finding out about it and his wherabouts. this left taoism, also since he realised 9yang was taoist based, he studied taoism more and became a taoist.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Banned

I think he has always loved Guo Nang. thats way he gave up his mortal life.

Probably had an eternal crush on Guo Xiang who had a crush on Yang Guo.

Plot-wise having no family strengthened the fraternal bond between him and his disciples which was a strong theme in the book. I was more touched by some of the fraternal bonds in the novel than by the romantic.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    i don't get the feeling that he was practicing Taoist either. i always found it seem to be an excuse of why he never married. similar situation to WCY in ROCH (founder of the sect next to the Tomb sect -- sorry too lazy to look it up)?
    Taoist priests can marry, maybe Taosim was more of to his liking, in terms of teaching and practices.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    His beliefs were similar to Shaolin but a little different, I see Taoism as the link between Shaolin and the rest of the world. It embraces inner-peace but not at the cost of love (a human pleasure). You should watch "Taiji Prodigy" or "Young Zhang San Feng" on Veoh with Dicky Cheng and Alec Su, it's a great series.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge Liang View Post
    You mean that bastard is responsible for Wudang and Emei? Quel horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge Liang View Post

Plot-wise having no family strengthened the fraternal bond between him and his disciples which was a strong theme in the book. I was more touched by some of the fraternal bonds in the novel than by the romantic.
    Yeah, I think so too. Instead of saying good bye to her, he should have followed her to find YG. After months and years of no success, Guo Xiang might develop feeling for him. He could have learn from Duan Yu following Wong Yu Yan . To bad, he wasn't as wise as Duan Yu.

I'd hope most people aren't that "wise"!

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I'd hope most people aren't that "wise"!
    I did not advocate him to violate her in anyway. Just helping her in a long journey. After years and years being together through both good and bad time, eventually she will develop feeling for him. Even if she was able to meet YG, he will not accept her. If he followed her through a long journey, I would say he had a very good chance end up with her. If I were him at that time, I would ask her to join the journey as I was free with nothing to do. I think she would accept it.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 09-06-15 at 12:28 AM.