Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Series: The Link

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Eventually I will. I'm finishing a lawyer can be good right now, then I have to watch dance of passion that you recommend. Then light of a million hopes. Then I'll start remembrance =)
    I am rewatching JTTW! Great stuff!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

which one? I personally like the 1986 version even though its really old. They may not have as good of special effects back then but they make it up with their facial expressions and acting.

which one? I personally like the 1986 version even though its really old. They may not have as good of special effects back then but they make it up with their facial expressions and acting.
    Which one is the 1986 one? Is it the Mainland Chinese one? I remember my parents watching it! That one had some skimpy costumes for that era! I am watching TVB's version with Dicky and Wayne. I can't believe how good the supporting casts were back then.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

yes, the main land china one. I thought the cast was pretty good. They would occasionally have a different actor play the master. I really cannot recall about the costumes at the moment, i'll have to rewatch the series later.

The version with Dicky was pretty good too... your right about the supporting cast, so much guest appearance from so many people no longer at tvb. I remember He mei tien, marriane chan, joey leung, and many more...

oh by the way, did you notice David siu in the atv justice pao has a unibrow when they show flash backs of his past lie with tiffany? He didn't have much series with atv huh?

oh by the way, did you notice David siu in the atv justice pao has a unibrow when they show flash backs of his past lie with tiffany? He didn't have much series with atv huh?
    Which Justice Bao? There were so many version of it that I cannot remember. Did not watch David's unit but knew he was in it. David only spent 1-2 years at ATV. His biggest roles was in "Coincidentally" as the main villain and Bonnie Ngai loved him. He never got any good roles in ATV. Grrrrr.

yes, the main land china one. I thought the cast was pretty good. They would occasionally have a different actor play the master. I really cannot recall about the costumes at the moment, i'll have to rewatch the series later.
    It was very revealing costumes for 1980's with all the cleavage, split dresses and bathing scenes.

The version with Dicky was pretty good too... your right about the supporting cast, so much guest appearance from so many people no longer at tvb. I remember He mei tien, marriane chan, joey leung, and many more...
    I am trying to finish JTTW 1996 by this weekend so that I can concentrate on Wallace Huo's "The Grand Protector". I have just finished the Spider Centipede story. Angie Cheong is very effective in her short role as the tragic lovestick spider. I cried again. This version of JTTW has everything: plot, costumes, comedy, drama and wisdom.
    Last edited by charbydis; 07-11-15 at 10:08 AM.
    Cyril Connolly

He was in atv justice pao. I believe he was Gilberts teacher. Gilbert and David both love tiffany but somehow david and tiffany dies. I'm not sure why david was never promoted at atv. I have not watch coincidentally, only a few episodes when it was airing on tv because I always missed it since it was air so early in the morning. Do you recommend?

Hm I guess I was just mostly watching for the four main characters. But I still like it. I cannot recall if luk siu ling tong really know martial arts in real life.

I also like the 1996 JTTW, I think Dicky did a really good job. The story was good. I did not like the 2000 version as much even though it also had a big cast. in the second season, the beginning is boring but then it started to pick up again. I thought Benny was okay but would be nice if Dicky could have continue in that role.

Ah I do like Angie's story. One of her nicer roles, seems like she is always stuck with mistress roles or a villain. Marianne's story made me sad because I think she really loves the prince who is terrified of her.

oh gosh now we are really going off topic from what this thread is suppose to be. Maybe we should just made a thread for old series discussion...

Coincidentally is an Ok series. It was sort of silly but not scary. I wished it was scary though.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I actually think she is OK looking, but she has a big mouth. However her acting is very good. Her most memorable role to me was "Plain Love I" where she played the jerk's wife. She was nice lady who was torn between her conscience and her self-preservation which lead to tragic choices. But I think she redeemed herself in the end. I never hated her.

She also had a big role in "Vengeance" but my memory of that series quite blurred.

Yeah. David was sweet and cute in this series.
    Referring back to Tsui Kar Bo, her character did not die in the series. She met another guy in the hospital where she was recovering and ended up marrying that guy. So her character turned good again at the end instead of causing trouble for Eddie's character.

I have not seen plain love but will definitely look into it. Did she play a villain here?

Cannot recall if I mention this in this thread or another thread but I do vaguely remember her in vengeance. She grew up with Irene Wan's character at the orphanage and they move into an apartment together. Eventually thou, I think she dates someone who was not a good person. Cannot recall.

I have not seen plain love but will definitely look into it. Did she play a villain here?
    Hi! In "Plain Love", she actually has a conflicted character. She plays a gentle girl from a rich family in the city who had fallen onto hard times. So she had to marry into a rich family from the country. But her husband was a jerk, womanizer, gambler, wife-beater, etc..

She initially made friends with Kathy Chow (main character) who was maid in the household. She initially helped Kathy out when her husband set her eyes on Kathy but then started to be insecure and suggested for Kathy to be forced into a nunnery. (But it failed and Kathy ended up being forced to marry Gallen.) And then when her husband got Gallen's sister pregnant, she pushed for her to be publicly drowned.

I won't say she is a bad person, but a good person that made bad decisions due to self-preservation. But eventually saw the light that her husband was not going to change and she had better chances in putting hope in her son. She did seek Kathy's forgiveness and even died trying to protect her when her husband tried to rape her years down the track. It was actually one of her better roles.
    Cyril Connolly

is Tsui Kar Bo the crazy mom in All About Tin?

She was so awesomely crazy evil, but she loved her daughters a lot.

You guys talking about old TVB series makes me want to watch it again...I actually have all the films you mentioned on DVD, vietdub...I should pick one to watch.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    is Tsui Kar Bo the crazy mom in All About Tin?

She was so awesomely crazy evil, but she loved her daughters a lot.

You guys talking about old TVB series makes me want to watch it again...I actually have all the films you mentioned on DVD, vietdub...I should pick one to watch.
    Yes. The crazy mum from "All About Tin".
    Cyril Connolly

Yes. The crazy mum from "All About Tin".
    At the time, I didnt' think she was that old to be playing Catherine and Ada's mom. But she did a good job.

Coincidentally is an Ok series. It was sort of silly but not scary. I wished it was scary though.
    In the beginning I thought it was scary but then it got silly. The part with Alice haunting the place and then the man who was possess or something in the beginning making everyone play mah jong was pretty creepy. I was kind of irritated with Chapman's character.
    Last edited by Nan Ling; 04-17-17 at 08:29 AM.

Hi! In "Plain Love", she actually has a conflicted character. She plays a gentle girl from a rich family in the city who had fallen onto hard times. So she had to marry into a rich family from the country. But her husband was a jerk, womanizer, gambler, wife-beater, etc..

She initially made friends with Kathy Chow (main character) who was maid in the household. She initially helped Kathy out when her husband set her eyes on Kathy but then started to be insecure and suggested for Kathy to be forced into a nunnery. (But it failed and Kathy ended up being forced to marry Gallen.) And then when her husband got Gallen's sister pregnant, she pushed for her to be publicly drowned.

I won't say she is a bad person, but a good person that made bad decisions due to self-preservation. But eventually saw the light that her husband was not going to change and she had better chances in putting hope in her son. She did seek Kathy's forgiveness and even died trying to protect her when her husband tried to rape her years down the track. It was actually one of her better roles.
    Sounds like a sad character, one that you tend to dislike but forgive them in the end. Her character in the series with Vivian Chow and Deric Wan was sad. She was very selfish and spoil in the beginning. It was sad in the end to see her still with her abusive husband because she felt she had to repay him for treating him bad in the beginning. She did a good job going from spoil to a more understanding person who feels the need for redemption. Sorry for going off topic.....

It's been a while since I watched this series, I would definitely like to re-watch it again for David and Amy as well as Eddie and Gigi. Sometimes I cannot stand the dad who only thought highly of Dominic's character while looking down on Eddie's character.

Sounds like a sad character, one that you tend to dislike but forgive them in the end. Her character in the series with Vivian Chow and Deric Wan was sad. She was very selfish and spoil in the beginning. It was sad in the end to see her still with her abusive husband because she felt she had to repay him for treating him bad in the beginning. She did a good job going from spoil to a more understanding person who feels the need for redemption. Sorry for going off topic.....
    You taking about "The Commandments"? I did feel touched that she actually fell in love with her husband and was willing to stay with him even though he had lost everything. Sometimes I think that it was her mum who had brought her up in such an arrogant way yet it was her true self who learnt to love her husband.

As for The Link, you would get really mad at Dominic as he gets away with everything since he is such a smooth talker. You see him hurt the family, his brother, his wife and even his mistress again and again and he seems to get away with it. While Eddie tries his best in life yet because he is straight forward and honest, people judge him wrongly based superficial things.
    Cyril Connolly

You taking about "The Commandments"? I did feel touched that she actually fell in love with her husband and was willing to stay with him even though he had lost everything. Sometimes I think that it was her mum who had brought her up in such an arrogant way yet it was her true self who learnt to love her husband.

As for The Link, you would get really mad at Dominic as he gets away with everything since he is such a smooth talker. You see him hurt the family, his brother, his wife and even his mistress again and again and he seems to get away with it. While Eddie tries his best in life yet because he is straight forward and honest, people judge him wrongly based superficial things.
    Yes, that's the series. I had forgotten the name. I think she had fallen in love with him but when she realize it was the guy she kicked and pushed away because he was poor, she felt guilty. It seem like she felt she was the cause of him turning evil and wanted to repay him even when he lost everything. She did a good job portraying the character. I didn't like the mom she was very selfish.

Actually I didn't like Dominic's character at all. Now that you mention it, yes it seems like he gets away with everything. He really hurt Eddie. I think we probably mention earlier how much we dislike the dad who pride Dominic's character so much and is always mean to Eddie. I really don't think the wife should have forgiven him. Sorry if i'm starting so sound repetitive. I always rewatch David Siu scenes. =)

Actually I didn't like Dominic's character at all. Now that you mention it, yes it seems like he gets away with everything. He really hurt Eddie. I think we probably mention earlier how much we dislike the dad who pride Dominic's character so much and is always mean to Eddie. I really don't think the wife should have forgiven him. Sorry if i'm starting so sound repetitive. I always rewatch David Siu scenes. =)
    Sometimes the plot of a series is reflection of societal values at the time it was made. Despite being the 1990's, the majority of TVB audience were old-fashioned see-lais who believed that a wife should always forgive her husband and once the third wheel in a relationship is taken care of, everything goes back to as it was. Another series where this was apparent was "Fate of the Clairvoyant" where Amy's character forgave John despite all the insults and humiliation she had suffered at the hands of him and Valerie, when she could have a better life, a better man and more self-respect. I know quite a few people who like me, was not that happy with "The Good Old Days" where Amy waited for Steve to come back instead of sticking with the original storyline where she ended with Gilbert.

If any of these series were made nowadays, the ending could be a whole lot different.

Back to "The Link", Eddie dad is the typical Chinese man who loves his face more than anything. He liked the son who made him stand proud before others and disliked the son who he thought shamed him, and even more so the daughter-in-law who not a good girl from the beginning. The dad is not an evil man, but I disliked him than Ada who was the villain, as instead of protecting his family, he tore it apart from the inside because to save face.

His youngest daughter was cheated by Savio and gotten pregnant. Instead of supporting her when having a child of wedlock was looked down upon, he kicked her out of the house. Luckily Eddie, Gigi and Gigi's uncle were there to take her in and be her real family. Yet he is a hypocrite as when it came out that Dominic was a sleazebag and his sister was a homewrecker, he didn't seem that angry. He just plays his favourites.

Yes, rewatch David scenes. But you are going to cry your head off when Amy divorces him.
    Cyril Connolly

ahh I didn't realize that, I just noticed the main character's suffer a lot or the stories started off sad back then.... but they may or may not end up with a happy ending. Story lines now are happier.

I like watching when David and Amy meets but I do feel bad for Lily because I think she really like David in the beginning.

Is Lily in any other series besides zu mountain saga?