Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Series: The Link

Default Old Series: The Link

I remember watching this series, 'The Link,' back in '93 and this was one of the very few series I would actually watch all 40 episodes without fastforwarding. I came upon the series again and it was still as capitvating as when it first came out. Gigi and Eddie had so much chemistry. I love Gigi and Eddie in here. It was sad that Eddie left TVb during the height of his career and lost his popularity afterward. I'm still puzzle why Eddie left just when he was getting popular. I remember he used to play small roles for many years at TVB and finally after years of hard work, he was starting to get the recognition he deserves he decided to leave.

This is the kind of series that never rushed, instead it shows for almost 16 episodes how Gigi and Eddie went from being the best of friends to become lovers. The ending ties in so nicely too, not like the rushed ending TVB seemed to be doing these last few years.

I was wondering anyone else watched this series before. If not, I truly recommend it. You can either download at Asianfanatics or purchase it. I think the series is worth the money. And if anyone did watched the series, what is your opinion of the it?

Quote Originally Posted by christinatran
    I was wondering anyone else watched this series before. If not, I truly recommend it. You can either download at Asianfanatics or purchase it. I think the series is worth the money. And if anyone did watched the series, what is your opinion of the it?
    Yeah, nice cast overall. Eddie, Gigi, Amy, Ada, David, among others. I like the theme song sung by Andy Lau. Ada played the villain role real well. That Eddie-Gigi liplock thing is a little too much for my taste. If I remember they showed that scene each time for the ending credits right?

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    Yeah, nice cast overall. Eddie, Gigi, Amy, Ada, David, among others. I like the theme song sung by Andy Lau. Ada played the villain role real well. That Eddie-Gigi liplock thing is a little too much for my taste. If I remember they showed that scene each time for the ending credits right?

I don't think so. I think it only it showed during that particularly episode. It didn't bothered me at all since American series show a lot worse. Do you know if this show was well recieved in Hk when it was broadcast? I thought it show was great and was surprised to learn that Eddie left shortly afterward. I thought that was a stupid move since he'd worked so hard all these years and then bam! he ended up in ATV and went MIA for years afterward.

Oh, and the OST was to die for. The songs were great, I wish I know the artiste that sang the OST. Of course, I know Andy sung the theme song, and Jacky and Leon sung a couple of songs in there too, but there were like to other songs, one sung by a male another sung by a female but since I can't read Chinese, I have a hard time reading the credit to find out the rest of the singers for the OST.
    Last edited by christinatran; 11-24-06 at 04:50 PM.

I don't think so. I think it only it showed during that particularly episode. It didn't bothered me at all since American series show a lot worse. Do you know if this show was well recieved in Hk when it was broadcast? I thought it show was great and was surprised to learn that Eddie left shortly afterward. I thought that was a stupid move since he'd worked so hard all these years and then bam! he ended up in ATV and went MIA for years afterward.

Oh, and the OST was to die for. The songs were great, I wish I know the artiste that sang the OST. Of course, I know Andy sung the theme song, and Jacky and Leon sung a couple of songs in there too, but there were like to other songs, one sung by a male another sung by a female but since I can't read Chinese, I have a hard time reading the credit to find out the rest of the singers for the OST.
    ---gigi also sing one of the subtheme in there too----

I remember watching this series, 'The Link,' back in '93 and this was one of the very few series I would actually watch all 40 episodes without fastforwarding. I came upon the series again and it was still as capitvating as when it first came out. Gigi and Eddie had so much chemistry. I love Gigi and Eddie in here. It was sad that Eddie left TVb during the height of his career and lost his popularity afterward. I'm still puzzle why Eddie left just when he was getting popular. I remember he used to play small roles for many years at TVB and finally after years of hard work, he was starting to get the recognition he deserves he decided to leave.

This is the kind of series that never rushed, instead it shows for almost 16 episodes how Gigi and Eddie went from being the best of friends to become lovers. The ending ties in so nicely too, not like the rushed ending TVB seemed to be doing these last few years.

Astro? XD
    I've never actually watched this series, but my parents were watching it today, so I tagged along. I liked it. The way they end almost each episode makes me wanna watch the next one rightaway. I'm at the part when the guy(don't know his name) said to Ada that he wanted to break-up. I'm like.. so happy when she said that he should say first XD

But really, what captivated me to this series most is that Andy Lau sung the themesong. Eheh. It makes me wanna turn to the channel when each episodes starts, and therefore stick to it.

I don't think they showed who sang each subtheme; I reckon they only put their names up when the particular songs is played.. the credits rolled too fast. Or maybe, I'm just slow >.<;; Anyways, I did caught a glimpse on Gigi's name under the title Sung By You should notice it too, there's only two words :P

Btw, about Eddie's leave when he's on his peak.. I reckon its because he asked for a higher pay, but TVB doesn't want to give him that? I'm not sure though, but I do remember that that happened to Dicky. After Dicky finished the series; Journey to the West, which was a great success, he asked for a higher pay to take up the same role in JttW 2, but TVB refused or something, I guess.. so Benny took the role instead... it was a waste that Dicky didn't act in JttW 2 I loved his 'Yo! It's only the Skeleton demon, what's there to be scared about!?' XD

It's nice that XingHe is airing it again
    Last edited by arachidonic; 11-26-06 at 11:22 AM.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who actually still recall and love this series, but I'm so glad to know that others know of it and like it too. I, too, agree that Eddie Kwan and GiGi Lai had great chemistry together. I think the best thing about this series is the strong relationship between the two leads and all the subplots that tie in w/ the stories. Furthermore, Ada Choi was exceptional as the innocent girl turned evil. Funny, I didn't dispise her as much as the other supporting characters. I really hated Eddie's father, his older bro, his uncle, everyone from the rich family except for the guy that ended up w/ Eddie's actress sister, and Ada's father. All in all, this is a very good series w/ great songs.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Yeah, Eddie's brother was a selfish SOB and the father always looked down on Eddie. Isn't it ironic that the one the father thought was the most useless and irresponsible is actuall the most useful and responsible in the family? I actually like the sister in law in the end when she changed for the better after her husband left her. She finally became a better person and independent; however, I thought she forgave her husband too easily. I mean one betrayal was bad enough but second time around where he chose Ada again because he chose to believe Ada over his wife is just too much. I don't know if I can forgave him if I was her and so easily too. I'd like to think that he should suffer a bit more before forgiving him.

As for the rich family, yeah, they're a bunch of jerks, but such family doesn't just happen in rich family. I've been through that kind of in-laws before and they're not even rich for pete's sake. So I can totally relate to Amy because what she went through is very similar to what I went through.

I so love the theme song, it's too bad now that TVB gave all the themesongs to TVB artiste to sing. Majority of them can't really sing. People like Bowie, Ron, Myolie, Bernice, Moses, and most of TVB can barely carry a tune and listening to the themesong getting killed by them is a real turnoff for the series.

Oh, and Ada was great acting the psycho. I remember watching this series years ago and got really afraid of Ada especially the very last scene where she came up the stairs and set the restaurant on fire. Boy, was she scary and oh so crazy.

I remember one of her interview she mentioned that not too long after this serie, she was out of work for a whole year until '95 when she was asked to play the White Hair Maiden. I wonder did her character in 'The Link' almost killed her career.

O i remember this show too, Ada gave a good performance for a newbie. Ada out of work because she played a psycho? Well isn't that a bit harsh, well that explains why the currently being promoted artists always play the goodie two shoes roles. And how low can Eddie Kwan star's fall i mean he now plays sub supporting roles like in 'To grow with love'. I really liked Eddie in the buddhism palm strikes back. I think he should buy the big cheese of TVB some drinks maybe then he can get some meatier roles.
    shin chan

Default the link

i loved this drama when it first was released. I felt sorry for amy's role, her husband was so nice. Does anyone know where i can find the leon ( i am sure its leon's voice) in the scene where "siu chun hung" was slipping away in his coma and amy was at his bedside???

ada's role ...not bad for her first few series after winning the pageant. Of course i like her roles later on in her career - Secret of the heart (diana), AR 3 & 4.

Quote Originally Posted by chupah
    O i remember this show too, Ada gave a good performance for a newbie. Ada out of work because she played a psycho? Well isn't that a bit harsh, well that explains why the currently being promoted artists always play the goodie two shoes roles. And how low can Eddie Kwan star's fall i mean he now plays sub supporting roles like in 'To grow with love'. I really liked Eddie in the buddhism palm strikes back. I think he should buy the big cheese of TVB some drinks maybe then he can get some meatier roles.

I doubt Eddie can ever play main characters anymore, his time is pretty much over. Which is why I thought his move to ATV at the height of his career was stupid, even if ATV may have paid him more. The problem is that ATV doesn't promote their artiste so even if Eddie did get paid more, he didn't have that many jobs and his popularity declined to now where he can only play supporting roles at best.

I remember I was so happy when Eddie finally start getting bigger roles until he finally play the main character and play good characters too. I just feel "hor sik" for Eddie that he killed his own career.

Default eddie

maybe yes his "heydays" have passed..but hasnt he got some interesting roles in series for next year???

Yeah, he got some interesting roles but still just sub supporting roles. I'm afraid he may be like Eddie Cheung-from main characters to supporting characters to now just a big ke le fe.

So I've been digging up old series to watch lately and really want to re-watch The Link. I have very fond memories of it, but don't remember much of the details. Only that Gigi and Eddie had awesome chemistry (and I'm not even a Gigi/Eddie fan) and the storyline was well written.

Anyone can help with the Viet title? Much appreciate any assistance.

I thought this was a very good series. Ada did a really good job as the villain. Pretty scary. I remember it took a while to air romance of the white hair maiden after it was film because she wasn't famous at the time but Timmy Ho was.

I really like gigi and eddie. They had very good chemistry. I thought they were very cute. I think back then they put you in one or two series as the lead and if it didn't get good ratings, that was it and they put you in supporting roles again. I also really like david and amy. I didn't like David's family, very mean people and gave amy a hard time.

I also agree that the sister in law forgave lam ka wah too easily. But overall good series, definitely worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I really like gigi and eddie. They had very good chemistry. I thought they were very cute. I think back then they put you in one or two series as the lead and if it didn't get good ratings, that was it and they put you in supporting roles again. I also really like david and amy. I didn't like David's family, very mean people and gave amy a hard time.

I also agree that the sister in law forgave lam ka wah too easily. But overall good series, definitely worth watching.
    I though Ada did great as a villain for a newbie and was able to stand up to Gigi and Amy in shared scenes. She really showed a good transition from the innocent teenager to the bitter vengeful psycho. I guess it was probably all her mum's fault so being so obsessive and passing her own hate to her daughter.

Her husband was trying to be nice by not divorcing that crazy woman, but it really made things worse. It was hard to tell whether he had an affair because his wife was crazy or his wife went crazy due to his affair. And Eddie's aunt was partly at fault for knowingly being a third party. I'm glad she found Benz in the end. I thought Paul Chu did a so-so job but Amy Wu did a fantastic job, probably the best performance in the whole series.

I have always liked Gigi and Eddie as a couple but somehow, other than in "The Link", TVB has never given them a happy ending. Gigi was cute as the bad girl turned good. And Eddie was a very good friend to her despite how other put her down and I was over the moon when they started dating. I like Amy and David's chemistry, it was sad when their daughter died. David was very dashing as usual and Amy was good. I am glad they ended up together. David's mum was a snob, and his sister was cheap. And so was his cousin. Seriously, I have no idea how David is genetically linked to them. He is like a lotus out of the mud.

I actually felt sorry for Savio at first, then hen-pecked brother-in-law (plus he was cute too) who actually wanted to maintain a relationship with his cheating wife. I initially thought that he was going to end up with Lily Chung since they had a kid together but he turned out to be a jerk too.

I liked Benz a lot in this series. He was very funny and created a lot of laughs. He had great chemistry with Eddie, Gigi and Josephine Koo. I didn't like Eddie's judgmental dad, his sniveling uncle, his golddigger aunt (uncle's wife). I was OK with his actual aunt, who was a nice person despite her bad judgment of being a third party.

But Lam Ka Wah was super disgusting as the womanizing jerk who dumped his wife for a much younger woman and did not feel guilty about it. I seriously got the creeps when he and Ada got into bed because Ada was so young back. I didn't like Josephine Lam's hot-headed and tongue-wagging role as Lam Ka Wah's wife, bit I truly felt sorry for her when her husband walked out on her and she had to start her own career.

I guess the happy endings where the wife always forgives the cheating husband is a cultural thing from the 80's and 90's. Women were supposed to be forgiving and do what was best for the family and put herself last. The fault is always the vixen third party and once she is eliminated, then everyone lives happily ever after. But hey, if "The Link" was filmed now where feminism is more promoted, she would probably shut the door in his face and finds a new guy.

I quite liked this series. It had its annoying bits but Eddie & Gigi & Ada are well enough to make up for it. The themesong by Andy makes it even more heartwarming.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I agree, Amy Wu did a very good job here playing the psychotic wife. Couple years ago, I remember hearing her on the radio and she said she was always giving crappy roles. I think she probably turn psychotic after she found out about the affair. Eddie's Aunt had said that paul and amy's relationship was not good and they lost feelings for each other. She had came into the picture later. But finding out about the aunt and pauls relationship caused amy to get into that car accident. I felt bad for Amy and ada when they thought paul would come back into their life once Eddie's aunt was married off to benz.

It seems like Tam pui san never get any good roles either but sometimes I really don't know if she really loved savio or not. There was that scene she was crying and he then went to plan their wedding anniversary surprise but she doesn't show up. I also thought he would end up with lily since she was so nice to him. It was kind of cute to watch them in the beginning. I felt sad for lily because I think she had a crush on David but he only had eyes for amy kwok. It was very different to see David in this role after The greed of man.

I agree, Amy Wu did a very good job here playing the psychotic wife. Couple years ago, I remember hearing her on the radio and she said she was always giving crappy roles.
    I actually like Amy Wu. She is quite versatile and a fun person in real life. I guess TVB just had too many talented and beautiful actresses (Liza Wang, Gigi Wong, Angie Chiu, Louise Lee, Carol Cheng) back then that Amy Wu had to be overlooked despite her acting and good looks as did other actresses like Lisa Lui Yau Wai. And the audience was not very accepting back then, once you were cast in a bimbo role, you were stereotyped as a bimbo for the rest of your career. Amy often got some brainless roles that did not get appreciated.

I thought some of her best work was "The Link", "The Black Sabre", "HSDS 86" & "Light of a Million Hope". She often hangs out with Wong Wan Choi in real life as well as Lui Yau Wai.

It seems like Tam pui san never get any good roles either but sometimes I really don't know if she really loved savio or not. There was that scene she was crying and he then went to plan their wedding anniversary surprise but she doesn't show up. I also thought he would end up with lily since she was so nice to him. It was kind of cute to watch them in the beginning. I felt sad for lily because I think she had a crush on David but he only had eyes for amy kwok. It was very different to see David in this role after The greed of man.
    We're talking about David's sister right? I don't think she loved him, but she liked him enough to marry him. I think she married him for the family business as he is a hard worker who can do her work whilst she plays around with other men. I think her pride was hurt when she found out that he was having an affair with her cousin but don't think it was love.

Tam Pui San never had much of a role to play in her short career that it was hard to tell if she had range in acting at all. She was often cast in vase roles. I know she has been around for about 10 years but seriously, all I can recall of her work is "The Link" and "Fate of the Last Emperor".

You should really check out David in "A Time of Taste" and "Remembrance". These are very different roles for him. I wonder of that old thread about "Greed of Man" is still around. There are a lot of valuable comments from David fans over the years.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I just brought remembrance, will watch it later, watching old atv series at the moment =)

I only seen Tam pui san here and state of divinity as the blue phoenix. A lot of ppl said she is very pretty. Her role as the blue phoenix is very likable and smart.

I thought Amy Wu was very funny in the rough ride but yes she does always get brainless roles. She was indeed very good and very scary woman in the black sabre. I got the chills in the end when she was telling how her face became like that. You can feel her anger and sadness as she grabs the scissor and starts scaring her face. She was a singer too right?

I thought Amy Wu was very funny in the rough ride but yes she does always get brainless roles. She was indeed very good and very scary woman in the black sabre. I got the chills in the end when she was telling how her face became like that. You can feel her anger and sadness as she grabs the scissor and starts scaring her face. She was a singer too right?
    Amy Wu is a cantonese opera singer. I think her best rounded role would be in "Light of A Million Hope" where she starts off as selfish & brainless, then becomes more warm and mature as the series progressed.

Anyway back to "The Link", I felt so sorry for David when Amy forced him to choose between her and his family. His mum made him promise to rebuild the family business on her deathbed so he could not really refuse. I thought it was quite selfish of Amy to divorce him over that even though she disliked his family. And to hide her pregnancy from him before the divorce was finalized was immature as well. Poor David had to deal with fixing the mess his family had created as well as trying to hang onto to Amy and Baby Joey. Then Amy blamed Baby Joey's death on him and then rushed off to become a nun.

Luckily Eddie believed in him and tried to see Amy see straight. But poor David. Did it really take that landslide to see how much David loves her?
    Cyril Connolly

Oh I didn't know Amy wu was a opera singer. I just heard she was a singer. I've never seen light of a million hopes. Will try to find that series later.

My favorite part would be when David and Amy moved out from his family. They were happy and david got promoted. Amy rush after filming to meet up with David for his company's party. I thought it was so sweet that they accommodated each other. =)

I thought it was sad she blame david for the baby's death, I don't remember why he was chasing savio, I think he stole money from the company with david's cousin? Been a very long time.