Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was Jin Yong being hypocritical in this specific context?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing
    Again, I repeat, Jinyong creates and modifies very, very little.
    I don't know about that. I imagine a significant portion of Zhang Sanfeng, Zhu Yuanzhang, and Qiu Chuji's life occurrences were made up by Jin Yong.

He didn't create the "Qianlong is a Han" story; that's a story/legend about Qianlong that's been around from even the Qing dynasty, when Qianlong himself was actually reigning. This is not Jinyong Wuxia; this is as common/popular a story/legend about Qianlong as anything else that exists.
    I know that Jin Yong is not the ORIGINATOR of the fabrication, but he endorsed it.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Personal opinion is even history is someone's perception. We can only state that certain events are true, but no one can really make statements about historical figures personality. We can't even really be certain of the personality of people we live with today, let alone people we never met! I don't know if JY is being hypocritical, I just think he is being stubborn. Un-accepting of an alternative view. While I don't know if I agree with Hero's perception of the Qin Emperor (because I've never watched it), but I often do enjoy personality twists of the sort. To say that it's skewing history and being misleading is quite controversial itself. YJ's novels are excellent because he melds in his story with history perfectly, but because it appears so seamlessly, people who don't know any better can easily mistake JY's characters as being the heroes that saved the day behind every historical event (hence the reason why so many historically based novels are being restricted on TV now). When you make a story way out of line, people will know that it's make belief. However when the story weaves into history, that's where the confusion starts and that's also where the misleading starts.

man, back in the day I really did a lot of arguing for argument's sake, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    man, back in the day I really did a lot of arguing for argument's sake, LOL
    You mean you've STOPPED?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    You mean you've STOPPED?
    Well you see, I'm trying to maintain a relationship and also not be the most hated person at work...

BTW, IcyFox's post #5 cracked me up. For anyone who has been around for a while (aka eons)....