View Poll Results: How far did Shi Potian jump?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • 30 to 50 Feet

5 13.89%
  • 50 to 100 Feet

3 8.33%
  • 100 to 150 Feet

1 2.78%
  • 150 to 200 Feet

3 8.33%
  • 200 to 500 Feet

4 11.11%
  • Over the ocean

20 55.56%

Thread: How far did Shi Potian actually jump?

Default How far did Shi Potian actually jump?

In my thread about Xu Zhu's jumping ability, I showed that jumping 50 feet horizontally is actually a much smaller feat than jumping 30 feet vertically even though a 30ft vertical jump has been shown to be possible while a 50 ft horizontal jump was supposedly impossible. CC concured that a 50 ft horizontal leap should have been very possible. Assuming that JY just didn't think it through at the time or that he changed his standards of leaping limits when writing Ode To Gallantry, how far do you think Shi Potian jumped when he saved his finace? I personally think that the jump has to be at least a hundred feet because he has to be far enough so that his finance did not see him. If the jump was less than 50 feet, it just seems kinda silly that people in the ship didn't just yell for the suicidal women not to jump.
    Last edited by Wu Wudi; 11-26-06 at 10:12 PM.

I'd say 250 to 500 feet

Isn't it funny that we debate how far wuxia characters can jump but in adaptations, they basically fly.

I'm curious, in which chapter did Shi Po Tian supposely 'jumped' across the ocean? Previously I have not read about Ode To Gallantry before, but I happen to see signatures of certain members here quoting SPT did the jump or not...... So I'm curious and went to borrow the novel to read. (Currently I'm at the chapter whereby SPT and others were invited to the island to drink congee...)

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

he launched himself at full force several zhang, which could be four or more. he threw some wood planks to step on to make the distance, and he didn't jump across the ocean but from a boat to the cliff. he caught ah zhu and her grandma who jumped down from the cliff and used borrow force to throw them to the boat and did the same to launch himself back to the boat. it was like a HL18Z from his feet blasting himself a great distance.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Shi Po Tian did not jump over any ocean!
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    it was like a HL18Z from his feet blasting himself a great distance.
    I suddenly had images of astroboy in my head.

Anyway, we all know he jumped about <---------------------------------> this far.

Discuss.
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    Isn't it funny that we debate how far wuxia characters can jump but in adaptations, they basically fly.
    Well, if you can jump over an ocean, you can basically fly. Perhaps, SPT was the first superhero in Wuxia history. He probably had a big "Shi" logo on his chest and a cape.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    I personally think that the jump has to be at least a hundred feet because he has to be far enough so that his finance did not see him. If the jump was less than 50 feet, it just seems kinda silly that people in the ship didn't just yell for the suicidal women not to jump.
    Is it possible that Ah Xiu did see his fiancee, just not clearly (i.e. could not tell who the person was)? Shi Potian did get through the ocean but not in one leap and with help from another object. Xuzhu also got through the 50 foot gap but with the help of another object.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Summarising the passage from the novel about this 'ocean leap'.

It was evening/dusk when the passengers on the boat made out the coastline. The boat got nearer and Shi Potian could make out the details on the coastline. The boat got nearer to the coast and then a scream came from the cliffs. The people on the boat could see the the image of two people, one in grey and white falling from the cliff. From afar, Shi Potian could see that it was Grandma Shi and Ah Xiu. He then threw a plank towards where they were falling. He summoned all his strength to his feet, braced himself and shot out like an arrow. It looked like he was going to fall short of his blank but somehow streched out another step in midair and made contact with the blank. As he did so, Ah Xiu was falling by his side and he grabbed her, the additional weight causing his feet to sink into the sea. Grandma Shi was falling on his left so he quickly made contact with her and redirected her towards the boat with some force; when Ba Zizai caught her, he was forced backwards a step and made a hole on the deck before grounding. With Ah Xiu in his arms, Shi Potian floated on the plank towards the boat. After a bit of commotion, the boat arrived at the shore.

Now, I'm using the second edition of the novel and there was no specific mentioning of any distances during this passage except the part mentioning Shi Potian falling short of his plank by a few 'chi'. It was evening/dusk but visibility didn't seem to an issue since people could make out that the falling people were wearing white and grey. Why couldn't Ah Xiu and Grandma Shi see them? Maybe its because after deciding to commit suicide they had given up hope of seeing Shi Potian again and were no longer looking for them? Anyway, how far did Shi Potian jump? I dunno but maybe not as far as people think.
    I'm worse at what I do best
    And for this gift I feel blessed

over the ocean, i'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    over the ocean, i'd say.

Well he jumped over the ENTIRE ocean with a help from another object.

Across dimensions where he met Mr. Mxyzptlk.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Over the ocean? That uauslly happens in 《西游记》, not in JY's novel.
    But he can jump over a river with one or two steps, I believe.

Banned

Man this Shi Potian dude is really a freaking monster!!

忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」