Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Devil's Disciples 《強劍》

the costumes and hair was soo nice in this! shirley looked gorgoes! bosco's brother was the best!!! whts his name?
    Heroes :: raymond , bosco, ron, roger, johnny depp, ryan reynolds and ronald cheung

IDOLS :: jessica alba, tavia, myolie, miriam yeung, selena li, natalie tong and bernice

i finally get to see this series, they finally released it dubbed in khmer...now i'll know what everyone was talking about
    I'm not even Chinese or Thai, but I am obsessed with their TV series. Current obsession: Ken Theeradeth Wonpuapan. He has super good looks and is very talented.

i liked this series, watched it in vietnamese. i liked the humor at the end, how they bust out all those martial arts. (;
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    the costumes and hair was soo nice in this! shirley looked gorgoes! bosco's brother was the best!!! whts his name?
    Jonathan Lee Si Jit. He started off as a singer(a pretty good one too), but his career didn't take off. Now you usually find him cast in humor roles and he also occasionally hosts different events.
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://riderfans.com/forum/image.php?u=129&type=sigpic&dateline=1196205212'), '')

Quote Originally Posted by wang23 View Post
    Jonathan Lee Si Jit. He started off as a singer(a pretty good one too), but his career didn't take off. Now you usually find him cast in humor roles and he also occasionally hosts different events.
    haha he was hilarious! i loved their reinactments, like the one in the beggining they were pretending to be luk siu fung (; haha

Some people really have too much time in the hands.

Netizens Rally to Take ‘Devil’s Disciples’ off Air

TVB’s new drama, ‘Devil’s Disciples’ averaged ratings of 31 points and peaked at 35 points during its debut week on the small screen. Such results are very satisfactory for television series that has aired for only week. But ‘DD’ has also attracted negative light as an online forum has begun an online email petition to make TVB discontinue airing it.

Since its first day on air, ‘DD’ has been accused of having plagiarised, being outrageous, having crude dialogue and bad special effects. On top of this, an online forum has a started a ‘one person one email’ rally, calling for TVB to immediately stop airing the series. In a few hours, the page had 2000 hits and 80 replies. But most of the netizens believed that the call for ‘DD’ to be taken off air was too extreme and the whole cause was worthless.

Those who started the stance believed that ‘DD’ should discontinue airing for 4 major reasons: 1. the numerous special effects were poor, 2. there was no evident line, the kung fu displayed varied from gold needles to drums, 3. worthless and poor jokes, 4. grammar of speech was poor thus being a bad influence to children. Many of netizens who replied admitted that the series featured many poor jokes but it is positive that people still find them funny and that this was not a reason for ‘DD’ to be taken off air. At there same time, there were many other threads in the forum that criticised ‘DD’, with ‘What is bad about DD?’ and ‘DD is rubbish?’ to name a few.

On the other hand, the message board at the TVB ‘DD’ official website was filled with some complaints from viewers, including some that mainly focused on Shirley Yeung, by saying that Bernice Liu and Sharon Chan being prettier than her and even saying that the former MHK is ugly! It is believed the reason why Shirley has become the receiver of all this criticism is because it is known that she would end up with Bosco Wong in the end and have a child and so, kicking out Bernice. Such result has angered Bernice fans and is making Shirley look bad.

Translation credit: dee-lush
    Original news: http://ol.mingpao.com/cfm/star5.cfm?...aa01/maa1h.txt
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

whoa, i wasn't too keen of shirley & bosco in here, she's cute with him. but i mean he has bernice. HELLO!!! lol (: it would've been interesting if he married both girls, but i hate series like that. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post

Netizens Rally to Take ‘Devil’s Disciples’ off Air

TVB’s new drama, ‘Devil’s Disciples’ averaged ratings of 31 points and peaked at 35 points during its debut week on the small screen. Such results are very satisfactory for television series that has aired for only week. But ‘DD’ has also attracted negative light as an online forum has begun an online email petition to make TVB discontinue airing it.

Since its first day on air, ‘DD’ has been accused of having plagiarised, being outrageous, having crude dialogue and bad special effects. On top of this, an online forum has a started a ‘one person one email’ rally, calling for TVB to immediately stop airing the series. In a few hours, the page had 2000 hits and 80 replies. But most of the netizens believed that the call for ‘DD’ to be taken off air was too extreme and the whole cause was worthless.

Those who started the stance believed that ‘DD’ should discontinue airing for 4 major reasons: 1. the numerous special effects were poor, 2. there was no evident line, the kung fu displayed varied from gold needles to drums, 3. worthless and poor jokes, 4. grammar of speech was poor thus being a bad influence to children. Many of netizens who replied admitted that the series featured many poor jokes but it is positive that people still find them funny and that this was not a reason for ‘DD’ to be taken off air. At there same time, there were many other threads in the forum that criticised ‘DD’, with ‘What is bad about DD?’ and ‘DD is rubbish?’ to name a few.

On the other hand, the message board at the TVB ‘DD’ official website was filled with some complaints from viewers, including some that mainly focused on Shirley Yeung, by saying that Bernice Liu and Sharon Chan being prettier than her and even saying that the former MHK is ugly! It is believed the reason why Shirley has become the receiver of all this criticism is because it is known that she would end up with Bosco Wong in the end and have a child and so, kicking out Bernice. Such result has angered Bernice fans and is making Shirley look bad.

Sigh, if some people have too much time on their hands, then they should think of positive ways to help TVB/Taiwanese/Mainland effectively improve the quality of their series, instead of just having endless complaints!

I will now make some comments regarding the four major reasons why people think "Devil’s Disciples" should discontinue airing.

1.] Yes, some of the special effects were pretty poor because they made the series so cartoonish. However, this is no reason to not air the series since it was based on a comic in the first place.

2.] Again, since this series was based on a comic, the Kung Fu was bound to have a wide variations. The martial arts used in comics belong to a different style when compare to Wuxia’s martial arts. I believe some Wuxia’s fans might have expected some similarities in this series and other regular Wuxia series, but they were quite disappointed from the beginning.

3.] A lot of the jokes in here were indeed poor and worthless; however, I believe some people will still find humor/enjoyments in them and laugh about them.

4.] Some of the grammar of speech and dialogues were certainly not very well-written at all; however, I don’t think they were rotten enough to really create a bad influence for the future generations.

As you can see, I belong to the group of people who think asking TVB to discontinue airing this series would be way too extreme as this series can only be considered as a lighthearted comedy that does not really deliver any powerful messages!

Sigh, why are people giving actors/actresses unfair criticisms for the roles they have to play? I don’t mind people making critical comments regarding how well actors/actresses are portraying their roles, but to say certain people are ugly just because of the unsatisfying pairings is just too much to me!

I surmise many obsessive fans can really forget that everything is all just an act, and that nothing is real in the series.

I really feel sorry for Shirley Yang if she has become the center of criticisms just because her character ended up with Bosco’s character, something that really angered Bernice’s fans.

After seeing the Sharon/Bosco pairing in "Lethal Weapons of Love and Passion," I was sort of hoping for them to be a couple again in this series. However, since Sharon’s character was much more mature in here, she would not have made a good match for Bosco. I actually thought the pairing of Sharon/Kevin was a really nice one because they really had strong chemistry together.

I personally think Bernice (both the character and the actress) looks more compatible with Bosco, but the pairing of Shirley/Bosco was not that bad either.

You are right on that.

DD is not the best quality series produced by TVB, and they have never advertised themself as so.

Some people are taking the series way too seriously. Can't they relax and enjoy the show, for whatever it's worth? Otherwise, the remote control is always within their grasp

How are the fight scenes in the show.....and are there many?

This show looks over the top and campy but nothing wrong with that hehe!
    Journey To The West

The Great Sun Wukong, the Monkey King!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PotentBlend View Post
    How are the fight scenes in the show.....and are there many?

This show looks over the top and campy but nothing wrong with that hehe!
    They are campy and special effects laden.

Default Devil's Disciples

ARGH! Living in the US does not allow me to watch as many TVB series as people living in HK; however, I might not completely get the raw end of the deal here since Chinese Series companies in US would most likely choose better, more-liked series to go out on the renting market.

Anyway, since I have not seen a lot of TVB series compare to other members, I would like to ask whether TVB has filmed a few series like “Devil’s Disciples” or not? Honestly, “Devil’s Disciples” was the first TVB series I have watched that has heavy usages of CGI and special effects. What shocked me even more was that this series was originally based on a comic. When did TVB start making series based on comics? Are they just running out of good Wuxia remakes since they are banned from using Jin Yong’s novels? Perhaps TVB is running out of good scripts and themes in general?

Even though I am a huge Wuxia fan, I did not really look down on this series when I first saw the poster. I surmise I was desperate for any ancient series! However, since the poster did look very animated, I did not have high hopes of it being a good Wuxia series. Hence, the series did not turn out to be a disappointment to me at all. In fact, this series actually is above average and is better than a lot of other “Wuxia” series; you just have to overlook the silly jokes and concentrate more on the actual plot. It is really not as animated/cartoonish as the poster indicated and as the costumes suggested as there was practically nothing too colorful except for the first few scenes from the themesong. Please believe me; a lot of the “idol Wuxia series” from Taiwan are much worst in terms of plots, characters, and fake coloring of sceneries giving the audiences a feeling they are having a fantasy.

On the other hand, I surmise all this would actually be quite good for spectators with wild imaginations. Hehehe!

Wuxia fans, I am just curious as to what you guys think of “Devil’s Disciples” if you have seen it? Kidd, if you had the chance to watch “Devil’s Disciples,” can you please share with Spcnet forum your opinions of it?

Also, I really don't mind people taking series way too seriously because I can also take series extremely seriously sometimes. However, I would never let what I feel, think or want affect other people. So, I will always resort to the options of turning off my TV or not waste my money on buying the DVDs.

same here i live in the US & i don't get to see series on TV either, and i watch in vietnamese.

i've watched this series, i didnt know it was based on a comic though. that's very interesting, who knew that a series was this good.

the first series i've watched from TVB with CGi i think was Twin Of Brothers, or Strike At heart. (i think).

This Series, there were overly-animated, but the scene where people are learning martial arts, it looked like they had to put in real moves though. like kicking, and flipping. (if you know what i mean).

to me this series was pretty good, i didn't see any form of propaganda for this series, so i started off watching it just because i heard bosco was in it (: lol.

it's comical, but not wrapped around comic.
    like bosco finding out he's adopted.
    & thinking his "mom" used him to do dangerous stunts, because she favors her own son.
    kevin searching for his mother.

the only thing i really didn't like was the ending, i wish eddy ko did not die off so easily. using his 7th stance.... bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Dai Hup View Post
    Wuxia fans, I am just curious as to what you guys think of Devils Disciples if you have seen it? Kidd, if you had the chance to watch Devils Disciples, can you please share with Spcnet forum your opinions of it?
    I've already shared my opinion in the earlier pages. Don't want to repeat myself liao. Anyway, my opinion might be reliable to you since I'm the very very few people who actually don't have a problem with the silly ending. So, I'm in the minority.

Anyway, here's my opinion in point form

- I like this series. It's very entertaining.
    - the many 'plagiarism' actually make the series fun to watch since you can play 'spot the borrowed elements' while watching the series
    - Shirley-Bocso-Bernice plot is boring, but I prefer Bernice to end up with Bosco, but I don't hate Shirley for being the one finallu ending up with Bosco
    - Favourite plot is Kevin/Mom plot and Kevin/Sharon plot
    - Favourite character is Kevin, Wayne and Sharon
    - Also like the character Pik Lik Siu and hope he ends up with the character Lam Lam

this series was okay but have nothing memorable besides the famous other wuxia drama names mention. this was the only reason i watched this series to begin with..the action scenes werent good...the girl that played bosco sister(forgot her name) died stupidly. last boss died stupidly...@ end when they did all of those martial arts move turtle fire ball(dbz kamehameha) Buddha Palm 18 Subduing dragon palms etc..they should ve have the cgi for them but didnt know why they were all blue energy. only reason this series was good because of wayne lai.story wasnt all that great. tvb need to team up with china or taiwan and make another good series..imo twin of brother was the best new series tvb came up with so far.

I used to live up north but then it got freezing so i flew all the way down south..now it is boiling

Interesting series...worth watching to some extent....

It seems the nose bleeding is a rather common occurance in the Devil's Disciples, to a rate of overkill - Same with the humour and satire, which was one of the few let downs. The exaggerated effects of the battle in the last episode was also a major overkill.

The plot was interesting and was the greatest reason in why I continued watching the series, without the dry humour, I'm pretty sure the series would have been much more interesting and worth watching.

I am one who is very unhappy with Shirley ending up with Bosco, but that's got nothing to do with Bernice, but rather due to the fact that Shirley's character is underdeveloped and the reason why Bosco chose her over Bernice is a stupid and cliche plot. The badly written character stops me from feeling for Shirley at all because she shows no depth or inner conflict. Berncie character is more developed so that's probably why I connect with her more.

From ep 1, I knew that this was going to be a parody series and I was okay with that. i actually enjoyed the jokes on the famous wuxia novels and i thought it was very funny. As for the costumes and ill-fitting hairstyles, I accepted that too because DD was not set in a specific time period and it didn;t affect the plot. But if you'd expected it to be a serious and dramatic wuxia drama, then you would be disappointed because it is of a whole different genre (just like you wouldn't expect The Simpsons Movie to be like Lord of the Rings).

I thought the plot for the first 15 eps were quite good and suspenseful and the humour was okay. I was happy with the fights and the acting wasn't bad. But after ep 16, the plot strated to become rushed and bland and very cliched. It was as if teh wroiters of the initial 15 eps were fired and were replaced with another lot for teh remaining eps.

As I said, I never expected it to be a serious series so I didn't mind the Dragon ball and goofy final fight. It was sort of fun for me because it was parodying a part when Stephen Chow and Cheng Pei Pei were advertsing poison in "Tong Bak Fu Dim Chau Heung" movie and I saw it as additional humour. But I was very unhappy how Bosco and shirley just ended up together like that and how Sharon died. I'd rather Sharon have a more dramatic death and more romantic scenes with Kevin.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

u can watch some of the clips on this series in this website:

http://www.geocities.com/tvbzone2003

I'm watching the series right now and i'm up to episode 9. I'm not really too impressed w/ the costumes in this series and the hairstyles are not very ancient time looking. I'm hoping the series will pick up and get more interesting...