37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Damo

25 67.57%
  • Sweeper

12 32.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damo vs Sweeper

Default Damo vs Sweeper

Since we always included DGQB and Huang Shang (inventor of 9 yin) in rankings and versus threads even though they both never appear in person, I think it is right that we include the inventor of Yi Jin Jing and 72 techniques, the one who I call the forefather of all martial arts, Damo.

So who would win between Damo vs Sweeper?

Is there even any doubt? Damo will win, no problems!!

Quote Originally Posted by nie_feng2002
    Is there even any doubt? Damo will win, no problems!!
    I didnt want to just assume, so that's why I made the poll. My second point is also Damo should not be excluded from rankings since we include DGQB and Huang Shang.

Damo would.
    The ancient books wrote that his kung fu level was sooooo high that he could use a sprig of reed to across an ocean, or maybe a big river as Zhang Jiang or Huang He.

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    Damo would.
    The ancient books wrote that his kung fu level was sooooo high that he could use a sprig of reed to across an ocean, or maybe a big river as Zhang Jiang or Huang He.
    Not only did he cross the river on a reed, but he sat in a cave for 9 years without sustenance... I don't any of JY's characters can endure that kind of meditation.

He also was the founder of Shaolin's martial arts. So, if we assume that Sweeper learned Shaolin arts, then there is no way SM can defeat the founder. (Again, assuming SM didn't learn other martial arts).

Also, if Shaolin Kung Fu increases as one becomes enlightened, then Damo is the most powerful being in the martial universe. He has attained the state of living Buddha-- so techincally, he has no physical limitations.

damo is the founder of shaolin temple, he only passed buddhism from india to china that's all

shaolin martial arts originate from chinese people who entered shaolin

anyways even damo knows the 72 techniques according to the novel i doubt he will defeat Sweeper Monk. I don't think any of the techniques can breakthrough sweeper monk's force shield

Nobody is really 100% sure about Damo's history (or even if he actually existed). Like Cheung 3 Fung, much of what is "known" about Damo is a combination of legend, folklore, oral history, and pop culture.

The most common iteration of what Damo represented, however, was an Indian Buddhist monk who revolutionized Chinese Buddhism and Shaolin martial arts. In one of the more popular and well known versions of the Damo legend, Chinese Buddhism and the Shaolin Temple had already been around for quite some time during Damo's visit, but the great Shaolin martial arts school that would become famous in wuxia fiction supposedly did not truly come into its own until Damo appeared.

In the first editions of the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY novels, Damo was credited as the supposed creator of both the 9 Yum Jen Ging and the 9 Yeung Jen Ging.

I thought Damo passed by an already established Shaolin temple and found the monks to be so weak that they do not have the physique to pray etc. So he passed on to them his kungfu. Some of that kungfu contributed to 72techniques (other monks through history also invented parts of 72).
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

the 72 Supreme Arts of Shaolin are only Great-level kung fu. 9 Yin is better served IMO. Yijinjing seems to have gone through countless revisions. Maybe the version invented by Damo was perfected by later generations. Even the 72 arts could have benefitted from later refinement.

I personally think that Damo is probably on the same level as the Greats and Zhang Sanfeng, in other words no match for the Sweeper Monk.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

But considering he knew many 72 arts and the belief that the more you learn the more enlightened you are, relating to martial arts level too.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    I personally think that Damo is probably on the same level as the Greats and Zhang Sanfeng, in other words no match for the Sweeper Monk.
    I don't think so.

Because:
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles in topic 'How far did Shi Potian actually jump?'
    With Ah Xiu in his arms, Shi Potian floated on the plank towards the boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    DGSD Sweeper Monk 1000
    DGSD Xuzhu 500
    XKX Shi Potian (trance mode) 400
    In trance mode, Shi Potian is estimated to be at around 400 pts. So in normal mode, he is most likely at around 300 pts.
    This plank is probably similar to the plank Shi Potian used in XKX:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/1114/plankgo4.jpg')
    Damo is well known for crossing a large river on a sprig of reed:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3892/reedzx2.jpg')
    We can see that a sprig of reed is 5 - 10 times smaller than a plank.
    Therefore, Damo's inner energy is 5 - 10 times as much as normal-mode-Shi Potian's.
    So he is at the level of 1500 - 3000 pts, that is he is one and a half or 3 times as powerful as Sweeper Monk, who is only at the level of 1000 pts. .

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    Damo is well known for crossing a large river on a sprig of reed:
    Was that stated in the Jin Yong universe? If not then it's just a myth and not endorsed by Jin Yong.

There is a little blurb from Ch. 43 of TLBB when Sweeper mentions Damo:

“我少林寺建剎千年,古往今來,唯有達摩祖師一人身兼諸門絕技,此后更無一位高僧能并通諸般武功,卻是何故 ?七十二絕技的典籍一身在此閣中,向來不禁門人弟子翻閱,明王可知其理安在?”

I think from that much we can assume Sweeper agrees that Damo was the strongest and consequently most enlightened monk ever from Shaolin's inception to the present. I mean, historically, and in the text, Damo was the first patriarch of Ch'an (Zen) Buddhism in China, he was a living Buddha. We can assume Sweeper has also reached or is pretty close to reaching such a level, but I think it would be safe to say that he still can't touch Damo.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

I never think of Damo as a martial artist. He's more of a enlightened mythical figure. I even think he may be a bit like Reverend Jueyuan in not knowing how to execute martial arts techniques. *shrug*

I think Damo has reached the peak of perfection in crossing the ocean with a sprig of reed. I can't say the same thing for Shi Potian.

Anyway, Damo has my vote.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

I think Damo can jump across the WORLD.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    I think Damo can project his voice across the WORLD.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whsie

Then Sweeps can teleport throughout the whole universe.

Damo does not move. Other things move around him.

At the rate this is progressing, Ken is going to come in any time and start about the Marvel/DC multiverse again.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!