34 79.07%
  • JMZ

6 13.95%
  • Draw

3 6.98%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XF vs JMZ

Default XF vs JMZ

Who will win? Im betting JMZ because he held 5 tianong monks,who are more or less equals to the shaolin Xuan monks.

Doesn't JMZ have some kind of internal injury? Will it manifest in the middle of the fight, giving XF the advantage eventually?
    Dragon2005

This is the greatest fight that didn't happen in DGSD. Perhaps that's why without exception, the DGSD adaptations have *always* added such a fight in, even though there never was one in the novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Areaofdefect
    Who will win? Im betting JMZ because he held 5 tianong monks,who are more or less equals to the shaolin Xuan monks.
    In JMZ vs Tian Long monk battle, tian long monks weren't going all out. They were using an unfamiliar skill in a sword formation to fight JMZ. Kurong hardly participated - the two times he did something JMZ came out 2nd best.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    In JMZ vs Tian Long monk battle, tian long monks weren't going all out. They were using an unfamiliar skill in a sword formation to fight JMZ. Kurong hardly participated - the two times he did something JMZ came out 2nd best.
    But wasnt the 6msj projected using yyz?Yyz happens to be the monks best skill and when they use 6msj,its technically they are using yyz lvl 4 + abit of extra power.Notincluding Kurong though.

But didnt they just sat there and projected LDAs at JMZ.

Member of TC fanclub.

The other advantage that Jiumozhi had over the 6 monks of Celestial Dragon Monastery is that the combat didn't always happen in real-time. After his initial failure with Elder Kurong, Jiumozhi took a break to think about the strategy for the next round. The time of the break was described as 一盏茶时分 --> would someone well-versed in Chinese know how long is that?

In real-time, Jiumozhi would not have the luxury of taking a long break to devise a new strategy, so his performance might decrease in real time.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    The other advantage that Jiumozhi had over the 6 monks of Celestial Dragon Monastery is that the combat didn't always happen in real-time. After his initial failure with Elder Kurong, Jiumozhi took a break to think about the strategy for the next round. The time of the break was described as 一盏茶时分 --> would someone well-versed in Chinese know how long is that?

In real-time, Jiumozhi would not have the luxury of taking a long break to devise a new strategy, so his performance might decrease in real time.
    JY uses that quote quite a few times across all his novels. Hard to guage, (i.e. he used it to describe the time Ying Gu double checked Huang Rong's calculations) but the closest I can think of where we have a lower limit would be from an earlier chapter in DGSD

不到一盏茶时分,便已驰出十余里之遥,黑夜中凉风习习,草木清气扑面而来。

So how fast does it take a very fast horse to travel a bit more then 10 Ancient Chinese Li? That would be the lower limit.

Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Hai,am i one of the few who only thinks that jmz > XF?

Someone should really translate the Celestial Dragon Temple fight, so that:-

1) We can judged how DY learned the 6MSJ
    2) How much energy did the monks used over the night to cure DY and then to learn 6MSJ
    3) The fight between the monks and JMZ
    4) The difference btw JMZ in this fight and in the Shaolin fight
    5) How DY unleased the first 6MSJ.....

Han Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Someone should really translate the Celestial Dragon Temple fight, so that:-

1) We can judged how DY learned the 6MSJ
    2) How much energy did the monks used over the night to cure DY and then to learn 6MSJ
    3) The fight between the monks and JMZ
    4) The difference btw JMZ in this fight and in the Shaolin fight
    5) How DY unleased the first 6MSJ.....

Han Solo
    I got around to about a couple paragraphs of the 2nd ed. Then heard about the release of the 3rd ed. and stopped all DGSD translations. Will start again if I can get online text for the 3rd ed.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    JY uses that quote quite a few times across all his novels. Hard to guage, (i.e. he used it to describe the time Ying Gu double checked Huang Rong's calculations) but the closest I can think of where we have a lower limit would be from an earlier chapter in DGSD

不到一盏茶时分,便已驰出十余里之遥,黑夜中凉风习习,草木清气扑面而来。

So how fast does it take a very fast horse to travel a bit more then 10 Ancient Chinese Li? That would be the lower limit.

How much is ancient li? If i assuem 500 m, then 5km+. A horse that travels at 60k/h+. So 5-10min. The chinese text said, not quite tea whatever.

Is that the time to drink tea or cook tea or wait for the hot water to diffuse out the tea aroma?

Member of TC fanclub.

I think it's probably about 5 minutes. 10 Chinese miles is approximately 3.3 modern miles. Jin Yong has described people having disappeared in front of someone in a blink of an eye's time. For example: 说着迈开大步,几个起落,
    已将五人远远抛在后面。那四人震于他神威,要追还是不追,议论未定,萧峰早已走得不知去向。

Apparently, Guo Xiang's horse was described as riding beyond 1 Ancient Chinese mile in a blink of an eye: 这马脚力甚健,郭襄但觉耳畔风生,眼前树过,晃眼便奔出了里许。

How much time is in a blink of an eye, I leave it up to you guys to interpret. I personally think less than one minute.

Doing a quick search on the web, it says that the top speed of a horse can reach 50 miles per hour. That means the fastest horse ever can travel almost 1 mile, or 3.3 Chinese miles, per minute. Probably the horse of interest in the novel is not quite as fast, but should be able to run about 2 Chinese miles per minute (pure speculation). So it would take the horse about 5 minutes to run 10 Chinese miles.

Anyway, let's say that Jiumozhi had anywhere between 3 to 10 minutes' time to devise a new strategy. That's not gonna happen in real-time combat once the duel starts.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

That horse was supposed to be some super-fast animal so I'll say 2-5 mins is possible.

In any case, that description itself is an elastic thing but given JY's usage of it in the 10 li horse incident, we can safely say its at least a couple of minutes.

When you do a poll with 2 characters who are relatively close in abilities, the hero will almost always get most of the votes. Villains just dont win polls unless they are significantly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    When you do a poll with 2 characters who are relatively close in abilities, the hero will almost always get most of the votes. Villains just dont win polls unless they are significantly better.
    In this case, I think its caused by JY writing DGSD in a manner which always put XF in a good light.

Example 1: JMZ gets bowled over by a sleeve flick from Sweeper. XF gets to _injure_ Sweeper.

Its definitely reasonable to assume that XF would also get bowled over by Sweeper if the monk had really wanted to but JY arranged things such that it ended up with XF injuring the Demi-God himself.

Example 2: JMZ blasts XZ, XZ uses a low end technique and forces JMZ back. JMZ hits XZ with full force, XZ just feels a short numbness.

XF splits his energy into 2 attacks on XZ and DY, XZ was described as having no choice but to counter even this 50% strength attack. Theoretically, if 100% from JMZ can't hurt XZ, 50% from XF should not even make him itch. And he had to presumably use _TWO_ palms to block since he was forced to drop the Liao Emperor.

Its not comparing Apples to Apples but the idea is that JY gives XF all the glory.
    Last edited by CC; 12-05-06 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    In this case, I think its caused by JY writing DGSD in a manner which always put XF in a good light.

Example 1: JMZ gets bowled over by a sleeve flick from Sweeper. XF gets to _injure_ Sweeper.

Its definitely reasonable to assume that XF would also get bowled over by Sweeper if the monk had really wanted to but JY arranged things such that it ended up with XF injuring the Demi-God himself.

Example 2: JMZ blasts XZ, XZ uses a low end technique and forces JMZ back. JMZ hits XZ with full force, XZ just feels a short numbness.

XF splits his energy into 2 attacks on XZ and DY, XZ was described as having no choice but to counter even this 50% strength attack. Theoretically, if 100% JMZ can't hurt XZ, 50% XF should not even make him itch. And he had to presumably use _TWO_ palms to block since he was forced to drop the Liao Emperor.

Its not comparing Apples to Apples but the idea is that JY gives XF all the glory.
    Yea that's an excellent point. Not to mention you have those adaptions that make XF beat JMZ in a fight. That can also influence fans perceptions.

Poor old evil JMZ, he is such a refined fighter, yet gets only 3 votes for ppl who has similar feelings like me,sure is depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Areaofdefect
    Poor old evil JMZ, he is such a refined fighter, yet gets only 3 votes for ppl who has similar feelings like me,sure is depressing.
    I believe that if JY was really made to write about XF vs JMZ, he will, due to the reasons I stated in the earlier post, make it such that XF comes up looking better.

Jin Yong even extoled Xiao Feng to the skies by writing in the 3rd ed. of DGSD that Xiao Feng improved HL28P to HL18P. Because Jin Yong is the God of his Wuxia World, so if XF had fought JiuMozhi, the monk would have stood no chance.