View Poll Results: Well?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • XYS

    15 53.57%
  • MRB

    13 46.43%
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: XYS vs MRB

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,530

    Default XYS vs MRB

    Who takes the cake?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Loke-Gao-Zhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    314

    Default

    XYS for the win

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    They both die, most likely.
    KC hit it spot on. Just recall the OYF and H7G fight.
    Still searching for my GuGu

  5. #5
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,173

    Default

    Both will fight for 1000s of strokes without a victor and its a toss-up as to who fire-deviates first and loses.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member wang23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    532

    Default

    Who was actually older? I would imagine they were about the same age, but QF and MRF were quite different in seniority? Thus suggesting MRB is either younger or QYS had QF at an early age?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Extremer88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    LOHAH - Land of Honour & Happiness
    Posts
    2,405

    Post

    I would say Murong Bo is slightly, just a bit slightly better than Xiao Yuanshan.
    ..ext88

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    I would say MRB too based on feelings, so mines is just an opinion.
    From what I see, MRB has the better technique while XYS has the better instinct.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出一阳指功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的一阳指功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

  9. #9
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    From what I see, MRB has the better technique while XYS has the better instinct.
    What do you base that on though? IIRC, JY never did drop any hints on the contrast between these 2 except that it was inconclusive everytime they had an exchange while sneaking around Shaolin.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    Technique just because MRB does have the better overall arts than XYS does. I overall predict that XYS has better instinct because he seems to have a part of that wild XF self in him.
    Ultimately, if ranked, I would rank them with the exact % for reasons you said and mutiple other instances where XYS was pretty clearly equal to MRB.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出一阳指功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的一阳指功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

  11. #11
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    Technique just because MRB does have the better overall arts than XYS does. I overall predict that XYS has better instinct because he seems to have a part of that wild XF self in him.
    Ultimately, if ranked, I would rank them with the exact % for reasons you said and mutiple other instances where XYS was pretty clearly equal to MRB.
    Actually, with his Canhe Zhi and other arts, why was MRB so intent on studying as many Shaolin Arts as possible (he even sutdied more then XYS over a comparable period). Could it be that the 72 Arts are not as 2nd tier as many believe?

    I can see where you get the Xiao family fighting instinct theory from (the Yan Men Guan incident mainly) but MRB seemed to kick major butt in his youth too (e.g. killing experts while in his teens).
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    I personally don't think so. I think what MRB is capable of far surpasses the limits of the Shaolin Supreme Arts are able to give. JY has mutiple wuxia novesl, yet none of the monks were able to dominate with the Shaolin Supreme Arts so much.

    Don't forget, his faimly line is the great MR faimly. If the Shaolin arts really are that strong, then every generation would have learned the Supreme Arts and or at least improve the MR faimly art to surpass the Shaolin art since the MR faimly of course have the MR faimly pride to hold up.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出一阳指功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的一阳指功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

  13. #13
    Senior Member KJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whsie
    I personally don't think so. I think what MRB is capable of far surpasses the limits of the Shaolin Supreme Arts are able to give. JY has mutiple wuxia novesl, yet none of the monks were able to dominate with the Shaolin Supreme Arts so much.

    Don't forget, his faimly line is the great MR faimly. If the Shaolin arts really are that strong, then every generation would have learned the Supreme Arts and or at least improve the MR faimly art to surpass the Shaolin art since the MR faimly of course have the MR faimly pride to hold up.
    MRB's actions seems to contradict your theory. If his family martial arts is that strong, then why would he be sneaking around Shaolin learning their supreme arts? None of the monks are able to dominate because they are not as talented (and lucky) as the main characters, yet they are still among the top fighters of the rest of wulin.

  14. #14
    Senior Member chibidaisuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    I would say Murong Bo is slightly, just a bit slightly better than Xiao Yuanshan.
    What makes you say that?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    364

    Default

    I always thought the general consensus was XYS was slightly better?

    Keen to hear why people believe MRB to be better, thanks.

  16. #16
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hyoyatika View Post
    I always thought the general consensus was XYS was slightly better?

    Keen to hear why people believe MRB to be better, thanks.
    Mainly because XYS had no 'named' skill as his base. MRB came from the Murong martial family which was a major force in the wulin for many generations. XYS only had an unknown teacher with no named skills.

    I always felt most readers give too much credit to 'brand name' skills. Not that they are not important but when ranking fighters, I feel too much weight is given there.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Mainly because XYS had no 'named' skill as his base. MRB came from the Murong martial family which was a major force in the wulin for many generations. XYS only had an unknown teacher with no named skills.

    I always felt most readers give too much credit to 'brand name' skills. Not that they are not important but when ranking fighters, I feel too much weight is given there.
    You might be onto something. After all in TLBB, two of the best fighters got to be XF and SM. While we know XF uses XL18Z, we have no idea what is his inner energy skill. And then we have zero idea what skills does SM actually has.

Similar Threads

  1. could XYS and MRB been modest to XF
    By soulmelody in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-10-19, 06:50 AM
  2. DGSD: Who was more irresponsible, MRB or XYS?
    By rabadi in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-13-17, 10:50 AM
  3. Did MRB/XYS lose their kung fu?
    By Humplewumps in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-15-07, 02:46 PM
  4. Why are MRB, XYS, JMZ, and XF in the same class?
    By superboy in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-05, 07:15 PM
  5. WYY and XYS
    By Han Solo in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-17-04, 10:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •