Thread: The Great Queen Seon Deok (62 episodes)

Default The Great Queen Seon Deok (62 episodes)

I just watched episode 1 and I'm completely confused of Mi Sil's relationship to the royal family.

click to show/hide spoilers
    Mil Sil was going to poison King Jin Heung, but he died before she could kill him. She join forces with King JH's 2nd son and made him king, otherwise it would've gone to the grandson (Seon Duk's father). When the 2nd son refuse to make her queen after she'd bore him a child and four years later. She upsurp the throne from him also. At the ceremony, it says Sejong is Mishil's husband? WTH? I'm confused. Does that mean she had a husband, but she somehow had a position with control of the Hwarang, serving the former King? She then conspired with the 2nd son, but failed and even had a kid with him? If that man is Mishil's husband, how could he let her do all that? Even her brother is helping her.

Somebody explain Mishil's relationship with everyone? A diagram would help.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Somebody explain Mishil's relationship with everyone? A diagram would help.
    Historical Misil was a mistress of three kings in succession, but also had many lovers, including the leader of Hwarang that you saw in the show. This drama expands on this description of Misil and turns into an evil power hungry woman with hints of witchcraft, who draws her power fom her relationship with leaders of Hwarang as the base of her power and influence. Yes, her official husband was Sejong, but that didn't preclude her from having relationship with many men, including kings.

Misil's relationship with Hwarang leaders.

6th leader : Misil's husband
    7th leader : Misil's lover
    10th leader : Misil's younger brother
    11th leader : Misil's son

The part of Misil is played by the highest paid actress in Korea. You would think that would belong to someone like Lee Young Ae, but the actors and actresses who are popular outside of Korea are not necessarily popular in Korea and vise versa.
    Last edited by JonDoe; 07-31-09 at 07:31 AM.

I see. Thanks for explaining that. I can always rely on you for spoilers/explanations.

I'm just amazed at how much power she has, as a woman. Her husband doesn't mind her having extramarital relationships as long as she's giving him part of her profits? But still, aren't there strict laws that forbid women like her to "marry" other men. How is she going to marry BaekJeong? If she was already like the consort of the previous kings? It's just unbelievable. What does people in the palace or public say about her marriages and extramarital relationships? Don't the other men know of her other relationships? Why do they allow it? (I guess episode 2 will explain somethings.)

Do you know how old she's suppose to be in episode 1 and 2?

Prince BaekJeong (the grandson of King Jin Heung) is such a weakling. It's too bad the son and the grandson have no spine/pushovers. I guess that's why we're waiting for Queen Seon Duk to battle it out with Mi Shil huh?
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 07-31-09 at 10:57 AM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Her husband doesn't mind her having extramarital relationships as long as she's giving him part of her profits? But still, aren't there strict laws that forbid women like her to "marry" other men.
    This is a time long before the arrival of Confucianism. Confucian ethics doesn't apply here. Confucian ethics doesn't take its full effect for another 1,000 years.

Just as it was OK for powerful men to have many mistresses and concubines, it was also OK for powerful women to do the same. Even queens got remarried after the death of their kings.

Do you know how old she's suppose to be in episode 1 and 2?
    Episode 1 & 2 compacts roughly 30 year worth of events.

Historical Misil would have been in her 60s or even 70s by the time main plot unfolds. But this show disregards that and Misil defies aging and script writer does away with time to place two in same time period.

I guess that's why we're waiting for Queen Seon Duk to battle it out with Mi Shil huh?
    You have to understand that this drama is not really historical.

Basically, Misil and the queen weren't really contemporaries of each other in actual history. The historical queen's nemesis was the man described as Misil's son in this series(If the actual traitor was Misil's son is unknown, but this show assumes he was) who revolted against the queen, not Misil herself.

However, this drama puts Misil against the queen to create a "Woman vs Woman" conflict in the plotline following the old adage that "A woman's worst enemy is another woman" , for they couldn't find a historical female character as flamboyant and charismatic as Misil from that era. In other dramas of this time period, it is the queen's older sister who is put against the queen for power struggle, as the son of queen's older sister becomes king after her death and the evil older sister has the last laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    This is a time long before the arrival of Confucianism. Confucian ethics doesn't apply here. Confucian ethics doesn't take its full effect for another 1,000 years.

Just as it was OK for powerful men to have many mistresses and concubines, it was also OK for powerful women to do the same. Even queens got remarried after the death of their kings.

Episode 1 & 2 compacts roughly 30 year worth of events.

Historical Misil would have been in her 60s or even 70s by the time main plot unfolds. But this show disregards that and Misil defies aging and script writer does away with time to place two in same time period.

You have to understand that this drama is not really historical.

Basically, Misil and the queen weren't really contemporaries of each other in actual history. The historical queen's nemesis was the man described as Misil's son in this series(If the actual traitor was Misil's son is unknown, but this show assumes he was) who revolted against the queen, not Misil herself.

However, this drama puts Misil against the queen to create a "Woman vs Woman" conflict in the plotline following the old adage that "A woman's worst enemy is another woman" , for they couldn't find a historical female character as flamboyant and charismatic as Misil from that era. In other dramas of this time period, it is the queen's older sister who is put against the queen for power struggle, as the son of queen's older sister becomes king after her death and the evil older sister has the last laugh.
    Wow. Pre-Confucianism. Men and women during that time were pretty much equals. No taboos on having other relationships huh?Okay. Just realized that Mi Shil has like 3 sons from three different men.

I know this drama isn't really historical. It's just loosely based on historical figures and events. I'm okay if it's not entirely accurate towards history.

The times have changed a lot, what's normally incestuous in modern eyes is not at all irregular in that time. Deuk Man's sister, Cheongmyeong is pretty much married to an older man, who's in the same generation as her father. As her husband is her father's cousin. Nowadays, Kim YongSu would be seen as CheongMyeong's 2nd cousin or he'd be seen as her uncle since her father and him are from the same generation.

Found a chart of relationships on Viikii.net.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://blogfile.paran.com/BLOG_698593/200907/1247042507_sillafamily.jpg')
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 08-01-09 at 09:07 PM.

This drama is so addicting. I'm craving for more! Although, I'm going to be back in school soon, gosh, and it's not even halfway, yet!

The storyline is very appealing, since the pace is quite fast. There are a lot of characters, which makes the show even better.

The only thing is that Mishil doesn't seem to age. I remember when the King was a tiny kid and back then she looked exactly the same. Now, he even looks older than her. Wow, talk about the huge age gap though!
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

I would like to know, is the drama accurate and sticking to most of the historical facts? If so, do you guys know where I can read it? I'm really anxious to know what might happen next. Besides, it wouldn't hurt to know more .
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight_zero36 View Post
    I would like to know, is the drama accurate and sticking to most of the historical facts? If so, do you guys know where I can read it? I'm really anxious to know what might happen next. Besides, it wouldn't hurt to know more .
    Here's what I'm able to briefly find on the internet, you can look for more information if you like or look into actual Korean history books in English.

http://www.shilla.com/

Here's a thread on Shilla Dynasty, where you get to see a painting/drawing of Queen Seon Duk with her crown similar to the one in the show's later depiction of her wearing the crown. --->http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/ind...howtopic=31333

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Seondeok_of_Silla

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Silla_Dynasty

Hwarang Information: http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Hwarang

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/...Crown_of_Silla

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight_zero36 View Post
    The only thing is that Mishil doesn't seem to age.
    I guess that was the term of the actress's contract; that her character drinks a secret magic portion and doesn't age.

I would like to know, is the drama accurate and sticking to most of the historical facts?
    No.

1. Historical Misil would have been 80(Most likely dead) by the time the queen takes her crown.
    2. The historical queen lived the comfortable life of a princess until she was named to take the crown in her 40s. She didn't travel to China and was no warrior.
    3. The historical queen had three consorts. I doubt you would see that in this drama; she will probably give up her love to be crowned or something like that, husband-less and single.
    4. And no, historical Misil had no access to magic portion that makes her defy aging.
    5. There is no evidence of Misil in conflict with the queen.

Yeah, I read Queen Seon Deok had three consorts.

Found this in the QSD spoiler thread of viikii.net:

We are talking about the queen of Shilla here so it would make sense for her to marry a jingol (part royal) since there are no sungol(royal) men around.

The jingol men in the drama are :

Kim YuShin

Kim Yong Chu

Alcheon- I'm hoping that he is the ( Kim Alcheon) that is mentioned in history. No one has ever called him Kim Alcheon in the drama (yet). So we do not know for sure.

I think YuShin will marry Hajong's daughter YeongMo (she better be damn pretty if they show her). I think she was his first wife in history anyway.

She might marry Kim Yong Chu since she married his brother Kim Yong Su (in history).

She might also end up with Alcheon if he is Kim Alcheon. His loyalty to Cheon Myeong is amazing.

According to some historical accounts Deokman married 3 times or more not sure. She married first while she was still a princess (husband's name unknown), She married again to Kim Yong Su, then again to Eulje (Yeaji found that one) - I dont think he was that old like the one in the drama.

Why did she married so many times? To produce an heir but I doubt she was able to since her cousin Queen JinDeok became the ruler of Shilla after she died.

Posted by jitter

ok maybe the info I recieved was wong then cause someone told me deokman's 2nd marriage was strictly political (like to get to the throne) but I have not read it either so ya maybe she had all the marriage for an heir apparent.

Posted by Kiara77

You never know but I doubt that based on the fact that the status of women in Shilla in this era were relatively high. They had certain degree of influence as advisors, dowager queens, and regents (head of states) like a governor. Throughout the kingdom, women were heads of families since matrilineal lines of descent existed alongside patrilineal ones. Because of the heavy influence of Buddhism women were seen as equal. They were allowed to have 3 husbands or something like that.

King Jinpyeong had no problem putting Deokman on the throne. She was his eldest daughter who was also very intelligent and capable.
    Originally written in En

Posted by jitter
    4 days ago
    ok, yes shilla was a deep buddihst nation and yes women were seen as equal but here is the problem they did not have the power base men yielded, if the main (I mean real) history is looked at Mishil did not hold that power, but the power that rivaled king Jinpyeong was his brother Kim Baekban ( father of jindeok the later queen) so it would make perfect sense for Seondeok to increase her power base via marriage but again this all again hearsay info so I can not be completly sure until read the history myself ( which I dont see in the foreseeable future).

Posted by Kiara77

Oh thats right. Now that you mentioned Kim Baekban that abosultely make sense. She married again the 3rd and probably 4th time because the 2nd marriage didn't produce an heir.

Link to more spoilers: http://www.viikii.net/channels/goto/seonduk#TOPIC/727

I am slowly picking this episode up again. From episode 22 and up.

So they're doing more than 50 episodes for this series?

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I am slowly picking this episode up again. From episode 22 and up.

So they're doing more than 50 episodes for this series?
    Yes, and apparently the ratings are going back down because of a certain reason. I don't think you want me to spoil it for you .
    -

Questions

How old is ChunChu suppose to be? ChunMyeong had him at age 15, he couldn't be more than 6 yrs old by the time his aunt, DeokMan became princess and his mother died. i'm so confused at that.

Watching this halfway. The psychological warfare between Deok-man and Lady Mishil is really interesting to watch, especially the part about the solar eclipse.

LHW did a really good job portraying as a girl-in-guy disguise and as a Hwarang. I feel she looks better as a boy than in her princess' costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    Watching this halfway. The psychological warfare between Deok-man and Lady Mishil is really interesting to watch, especially the part about the solar eclipse.

LHW did a really good job portraying as a girl-in-guy disguise and as a Hwarang. I feel she looks better as a boy than in her princess' costume.
    I guess its because you've seen her disguised as a boy for so long, its hard to adjust the eyes to her princess clothes.

If you watch her in 49days, which is a modern drama, she looks pretty in woman clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe

Just finished reading about Women's civil rights during 17/18th century. Funny how the Christian institution (not the religion itself) and Confucianism shared that common goal to disempower women. At least Confucius didn't claim that women were souless .

I guess that was the term of the actress's contract; that her character drinks a secret magic portion and doesn't age.
    My we are droll . You happen to follow Bones? Couldn't help it...JonDoe

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    The psychological warfare between Deok-man and Lady Mishil is really interesting to watch, especially the part about the solar eclipse.
    Yes, the wonderful magic of astronomy . Got kinda excited with that part...lookie! They're using science and ignorance of the masses to create a magical political coup.

As much as I loved the psych tango, Misil's smile did get to me. I know great acting can come from the eyes, but I usually like to see actors/actresses engage more than one set of facial muscles.

The interaction between the Queen and General at the end annoyed the heck out of me.

Smile Queen of shilla movie

Please i want to know how many long will i wait to get the next season o
    f this film, I just stoped at chunchu presenting himself as a successor to the throne. Is this a new film or its been out for long because we are just getting here

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    Just finished reading about Women's civil rights during 17/18th century. Funny how the Christian institution (not the religion itself) and Confucianism shared that common goal to disempower women. At least Confucius didn't claim that women were souless .

My we are droll . You happen to follow Bones? Couldn't help it...JonDoe

Yes, the wonderful magic of astronomy . Got kinda excited with that part...lookie! They're using science and ignorance of the masses to create a magical political coup.

As much as I loved the psych tango, Misil's smile did get to me. I know great acting can come from the eyes, but I usually like to see actors/actresses engage more than one set of facial muscles.

The interaction between the Queen and General at the end annoyed the heck out of me.
    Please how many episode does the film contain