Thread: Reluctance to finish a story.

Default Reluctance to finish a story.

Has any wuxia writers ever have a reluctance to finish a story/kill off an underused character?

This kind of behavior is common in Japanese manga, where the writers typically give major villians that has not shown true ability in a "villian gang" about 500 trump cards to escape death. Has any wuxia writers ever done this?
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

I'd say that Jin Yong has, in the novel Xiao Ao Jiang Hu.
    IMO, from what I've seen in the TV adaptations so far, JY showed his reluctance finish this novel when he forced Ren Woxing to die of his internal injuries.
    He he, if he had dragged the novel on, he would not have known how to deal with the complicated relations between Ren Woxing - the father in law, Ren Yingying - the bride, and Linghu Chong - the groom.
    Last edited by RongYingMin; 12-08-06 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    I'd say that Jin Yong has, in the novel Xiao Ao Jiang Hu.
    IMO, from what I've seen in the TV adaptations so far, JY showed his reluctance finish this novel when he forced Ren Woxing to die of his internal injuries.
    He he, if he had dragged the novel on, he would not have known how to deal with the complicated relations between Ren Woxing - the father in law, Ren Yingying - the bride, and Linghu Chong - the groom.
    That's kinda the opposite. That's more like a hasty retreat.

I am talking about the event that is more prevelant in shonen manga where after about issue 100, the plot and characters starts to stay stagnant whilst the heroes and villians fight each other non stop. Making it pure fan service.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor
    That's kinda the opposite. That's more like a hasty retreat.

I am talking about the event that is more prevelant in shonen manga where after about issue 100, the plot and characters starts to stay stagnant whilst the heroes and villians fight each other non stop. Making it pure fan service.
    Like 'Long Hu Men.' Just keep on milking the fights over and over and over. Or any popular long running TV serial.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Don't think JY has ever done that. Gu Long was known to be trigger-happy, i.e the total opposite of what you described. He would frequently spend 10 pages describing some supercool villain only to have him killed in 2 lines on the following page.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

In one convention-defying movie, it was a real treat to see one of the main characters killed on a whim without any elaborate detail or glorification. That is why I am extremely fond of DGSD, the only novel in Jin Yong wuxia (and in the entire wuxia????????) to sacrifice its main character.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    In one convention-defying movie, it was a real treat to see one of the main characters killed on a whim without any elaborate detail or glorification. That is why I am extremely fond of DGSD, the only novel in Jin Yong wuxia (and in the entire wuxia????????) to sacrifice its main character.
    Yeah but that was because there was 1 other main character (DY) to go on (I consider XZ 3/4 a main character). Besides, after XF died, there was less then half a chapter to go.

If they had killed DY like 3/4 of the way thru the book that would be great!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

why can't it be stupid dy or xz...

the only main protagnist to die and it has to be xf -.-
    Still searching for my GuGu

I remember how Ni Kuan wrote the part where Ah Zhi got blind in DGSD

and i remember he wanted JY to kill Ah Zhi (not suiciding at the end, of course), but of course it didn't happen at last

If you consider Tin Ha comics wuxia, then the Wind and Cloud series have gone on for quite a while. Every once in a while you are lead to believe that the story can actually end. Next thing you know, some new villain with super kung fu shows up. I used to love this comic, but now it's become like Dragon Ball...

Which makes one wonder-- If these super villains existed all this time, wth were they doing?? Why didn't they just attack the heros earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721
    If you consider Tin Ha comics wuxia, then the Wind and Cloud series have gone on for quite a while. Every once in a while you are lead to believe that the story can actually end. Next thing you know, some new villain with super kung fu shows up. I used to love this comic, but now it's become like Dragon Ball...

Which makes one wonder-- If these super villains existed all this time, wth were they doing?? Why didn't they just attack the heros earlier?
    It would be classified as shonnen manga if it was made in Japan.

The sad thing is that comic writers do not get as famous as their characters/comics. Usually they have one successful comic and will then fade into obscurity. So they typically milk it all the way through. Look at Dragon Ball. Akira Toriyama is a very good writer/artist, but he has not released any new comics...

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721

LOL, some characters in the Wind and Cloud series could live more than 1000 years because of eating the heart of a T-Rex dinosaur. .