Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saga of the Lost Kingdom ft. Roger Kwok, Eddie Cheung, Margie Tsang, and Kathy Chow

I've advanced to ep 13 and must express my surprise that I'm still liking this series. While I can understand why Roger falls for Kathy later on, I sill like Margie better. But Eddie and the King's (Dicky) cousin are my fav characters in here. I thought Eddie's father was played by Kent Tong, but apparently not, eh? Thanks Ian for the info.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Looks like I have to pick this series up again and watch it. I kind of lost interest or didn't have time for it or well, I had too many other series to watch and this wasn't high on priority.

I wonder whatever become of Liu Kai Chi (Roger's teacher).
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Looks like I have to pick this series up again and watch it. I kind of lost interest or didn't have time for it or well, I had too many other series to watch and this wasn't high on priority.

I wonder whatever become of Liu Kai Chi (Roger's teacher).
    i sneaked a peek at the end and it seems it's a happy ending so almost all the characters were present (including liu kai chi)

by the way, now on ep 13 and i am not minding that roger chose kathy cuz i think margie deserve better (even though she will still be w/ him in the end). roger is sooooo annoying after he becomes smart. "Now that I'm a genius..." he says. just b/c you are not an idiot doesn't necessarily make you the smartest person in the world. geez have he never heard of modesty and being humble, geez
    Last edited by MysticDust; 04-04-07 at 01:38 PM.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

hehe...i didn't like this series but i really love the theme song. part of the reason why i disliked this series was because i wasn't too fond of kathy's character even though there is nothing wrong with her...it's just that i prefer margie's playfulness and the fact that she is roger's character's first love. kathy sort of just got in the way of their relationship as far as i saw it...

spoilers
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    while i was somewhat glad that roger felt a bit torned because he still had feelings for margie, i hated the fact that ultimately, he loved kathy more and marrying margie as a concubine was more of a consolation prize which should not have been. i would rather he marry kathy as a concubine and margie as the main wife, and i agree with mystic dust, margie deserved soooo much better. if only they had thrown tony leung into the series and got him to pair up with margie again or sean lau! that would have been soo much better for margie...and even with the kathy scenes...i didn't think she was beautiful in that series and her scenes were always so sad and dull....sorry for the rant. it's been years since i've seen this series and i can't believe that i'm such a hardcore margie fan...but that's because i found their love more pure.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

This is one of the few ancient TVB series from the 80s that I have not seen yet. I wanted to rent it but that stupid lady at the store said that it was not watchable. Therefore, I am waiting for it to come out on DVD so that I can see it... I heard it was a happy ending. The cast is great too.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Smile

I saw this series about 6 months ago, so it's still fresh in my mind. It was overall a good series, with many well-liked stars. It just didn't make it up there in my list of favorite series because I was not happy with the margie-roger-kathy triangle. I see many people here are not happy with it either. I actually love Plain Love, a series starring Gallen Lo, Kathy Chow, and Eddie Cheung. And I fell in love with Eddie's character in that series. He was so devoted to Kathy's character that I wished to see Eddie and Kathy play love interests again in Saga of the Lost Kingdom.

Spoilers ahead!

To be honest, although Roger is a great actor, I'm not a big fan of his. I was actually rooting for the Kathy-Eddie pairing. Well, later on in the series, Eddie did have some romantic relations with Kathy, but it was all a moot point in the end, because she ended up with Roger at the conclusion of the story, anyway.

As for Margie, I felt horrible for her character! She ended up settling for a man who did not love her. I believe Roger was fond of her, but really, he married her out of obligation and pity, and not out of love, and no woman deserved that! I agree with patiricia that Margie should have had another love interest - preferably Sean Lau (LOVE them in Grand Canal!).

Finally, I think Hugo Ng deserves some honorable mention here. I saw him in the TVB 1988 version of Legendary Twins, and wow, he was handsome and so clean-cut in there! He had such a handsome, heroic ancient look that I was aghast at the horrible hairstyle TVB gave him in Saga of the Lost Kingdom! His character was ok, but I liked his romance with Mimi Kung. I thought their first encounter was quite cute and funny, where she was basically salivating at the food on his table at the roadside diner.

I noticed that Jacqueline Lawis also in this drama. can someone tells me what happened to her in the drama and if she played an important role.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
    I noticed that Jacqueline Lawis also in this drama. can someone tells me what happened to her in the drama and if she played an important role.
    She aids Roger throughout the drama, but she doesn't get that much screentime since her role is kinda minor. She does get paired up with with Dicky Cheung if my memory serves me correct. Its been at least 10 years since I have seen this, but it is still very memorable especially the theme song, its a great one sang by Anita Mui.

<<<<<Spoiler Rant>>>>>

Like everyone else, I felt so bad for Margie in this drama. She sacrificed so much for Roger, and deserved so much better than what he gave her. Kathy Chow never really did that much for Roger, but he fell head over heals for her beauty.

I can't remember anything from this show except for Roger Kwok, Kathy Chow, and something about butterflies.

I vaguely recall - please confirm #3?:
    click to show/hide spoilers

1. Roger Kwok becomes really annoying when he gets smart from leeches (precursor of Square Pegs)
    2. Kathy Chow was madame Butterfly and had to be virgin
    3. This is the ancient series that introduced to me the "Sacrifice virginity/youth to gain internal energy/save someone

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    I can't remember anything from this show except for Roger Kwok, Kathy Chow, and something about butterflies.

I vaguely recall - please confirm #3?:

1. Roger Kwok becomes really annoying when he gets smart from leeches (precursor of Square Pegs)
    2. Kathy Chow was madame Butterfly and had to be virgin
    3. This is the ancient series that introduced to me the "Sacrifice virginity/youth to gain internal energy/save someone
    that sounds about right. i found both kathy and roger's characters annoying. was rooting for margie tsang the entire time.

i don't like stories where the male leads forget his first love. i know that kathy sacrificed her virginity to save roger, but margie was also willing. it's just that kathy got to roger's room first. margie did not love him any less. as a matter of fact, i felt that margie loved him more and in the beginning, roger did care and loved margie just as much.

i forget to mention, this series has one of the best theme songs ever. anita's voice is soooo epic in this song.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

I remember watching this years ago.....

Have they released this on DVD in Cantonese? The only versions I'm able to find are either in Khmer or Vietnamese (and I'm iffy about that) and I understand neither. Does the Khmer version have a canotnese track?

This is one of my favorite series from way back when and I've been dying to watch it again.

Wow i completely forgot about this series. Just remember watching it a long time ago and i just remember roger and kathy in this series

This series was the first time I saw Kathy Chow. Was completely mesmerized by her beauty, but I found Roger's character to be excessively annoying and couldn't understand how the girls fell head over heals for him. The whole concept of him getting smart over night with a completely transformed personality was way over the top for me.