Thread: How big a setback was the Shaolin battle (HSDS) for the Yuan Dynasty?

Default How big a setback was the Shaolin battle (HSDS) for the Yuan Dynasty?

By the time that HSDS ended, the Yuan Dynasty was already on its last legs. As of the end of the story, the dynasty hadn't fallen, but it was an eventuality that likely took place within twenty years of HSDS's final chapter.

How big an impact did the Yuan army's defeat at the hands of the Chinese wulin at Shaolin have on the Yuan regime as a whole? Was it a mortal blow to the Yuan military leadership?

Err one can only can only theorise and guess.
    But I don't think how this wuxia fiction can be linked with the real history and the fall of the Yuan Dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    Err one can only can only theorise and guess.
    But I don't think how this wuxia fiction can be linked with the real history and the fall of the Yuan Dynasty.
    Err, I think Ken was talking about Jin Yong's world, which he based on the real world history.

I don't think that battle had as big a direct impact on the Yuan army, but it did give th e Ming Cult's army, led by Zhu Yuen Chang, a victourious battle and catapulted them to eventually taking over the Yuan empire.

Chagan Timur and Wong Bo Bo (Chiu Mun's father and brother, respectively) brought a fairly large force with them to Shaolin, and since they knew they were going to be dealing with a large number of wulin elites, they probably brought some of the empire's best troops with them. If the Chinese wulin was able to create significant casualties to the Yuan assault force, I can see this having an impact on the overall condition of the Yuan military down the line.