View Poll Results: Should a wuxia novel/adaptation have a happy-ending?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 45.00%
  • No

6 30.00%
  • Other ideas

5 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should a wuxia novel/adaptation have a happy-ending?

Default Should a wuxia novel/adaptation have a happy-ending?

Should a wuxia novel/adaptation have a happy-ending?
    Ladies n Gentlemen?

Generally, I prefer novels/adaptations with happy-endings IMO such as: LOCH, Xiao Ao Jiang Hu, HSDS, Xia Ke Xing, Flying Fox of the Snowy Mountain, Lian Sheng Jue and The Book n the Sword.
    Several months ago, I was about to read the English translation of 'The legendary siblings' when I read an article about an adaptation of this novel. It wrote that 3 out of 4 main characters would die at the end of the film, including: Xiao Yu'er (Little Fish), Hua Wujue (Flawless Flower) n Xie Xinlan. That wiped off my intention of reading the novel.
    The similar thing happened to a TV adaptation, which based on a Liang Yusheng's novel, called: Yun Hai Yu Gong Yuan in which the female character falls for an idiotic-main-male-character n dies of him. I had watched the first 10 parts of this film until I knew of the sad-ending.
    Last edited by RongYingMin; 12-19-06 at 10:34 PM.

xiao feng should die at the end to make us love him more
    在下日月神教陸教主是也

i want to be happy, so yeah, basically i would love to have a happy ending for the novel i read.... but if the writer wants to have a sad ending or create a tragic scene, well, i suppose it is fine but not with great depression from prologue till epilogue....

Absolutely, happy endings ftw!.
    Too sick of the generic sad endings posing to be dramatic by the retarded producers trying to leave a memorable memory in your mind.
    Same goes for movies.

Back in the past movies mostly had good endings, nowdays every movie tries to somehow have a gay ending was is crap as hell.

Happy endings are too stereotypical. A few tragedies and deaths should be thrown in to make a good story.

If I could direct a JY serial, I'll have :

DGSD : Xu Zhu turning evil. Takes out Sweeper Monk. Stabs his father in law, takes the Xixia throne, injures XF and steals DY's kung fu. Attempts to rule the world by taking the Liao throne as well, kills the Liao Emperor but finally dies while XF bear-hugs him TVB style while DY and SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan stabs him. DY then takes all of Ling Jiu Gong and the Xixia Harem as his concubines after MRF kills WYY while insane. XF kills himself over Ah Zhu's grave. Ah Zhi marries Zhuo Bufan.

ROCH : Yang Guo dies trying to save GX. XLN stabs GWM, takes palm to chest. Dies while asking GJ to bury her and YG together. Have dopey love song by latest teeny-bopper starlet (who the director will sleep with as a reward for bringing her fame) play ad-nauseam during XLN's last moments while 5 episodes are spent re-playing previous emotional scenes between XLN/YG. By re-playing 5 eps worth of old tape, budget is substantially saved. TVB will love me for such fiscal prudence, giving me the HSDS job as well. Special DVD edition will even throw in mushy scenes from ROCH 83 to extend play-time.

HSDS : SQS learns the 18 DP and 9 Yin, kills Z3F and ZZR. Xie Xun tells ZWJ he is his real father. SQS defeats ZWJ, who is only saved because Xiao Zhao uses the 'virginity to purge poison bullcrap method' to rescue him, dying in the process. ZWJ later stumbles into the ruins of Ling Jiu Gong where he finds the long lost manual of SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan, learning the secrets of the 24 variation God and Ghost Exchange Swordplay. Re-forges the Heaven Sword and goes for final showdown with SQS.

Final fight between ZWJ and SQS will be 1.5 episodes long and have more exploding rocks/purplesmoke/cheap CGI then 2 decades of TVB budgets ever allowed.

SOD LPZ leaves after crippling Lingshan, LHC dumps RYY to look after the crippled YLS. DFBB and LPZ bump into each other later on and fall in love, retiring together to live in DGKB's cave.

Then laugh maniacally as the fanboys gnash their teeth and fangirls weep.
    Last edited by CC; 12-20-06 at 12:32 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    Generally, I prefer novels/adaptations with happy-endings IMO such as: LOCH, Xiao Ao Jiang Hu, HSDS, Xia Ke Xing, Flying Fox of the Snowy Mountain, Lian Sheng Jue and The Book n the Sword.
    1. Xia Ke Xing = the novel has a "happy" ending only if you think that being traumatised by the death of your long-lost adoptive mother within hours of re-uniting with her, and being told that the dead adoptive mother is the only one who actually knows the true origins of your birth, are both "happy" events.

2. Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain = the novel has a "open" ending that can turn either "happy" or "sad", something that Jin Yong did not take any measures to confirm/ascertain even in the 3rd edition.

3. Lian Sheng Jue = Lian *CHENG* Jue.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Happy endings are too stereotypical. A few tragedies and deaths should be thrown in to make a good story. If I could direct a JY serial, I'll have ... Then laugh maniacally as the fanboys gnash their teeth and fangirls weep.
    ROFL!
    Have you been watching too much Wong Jing recently?

---

Back to the topic: In the near-perfect world of (wuxia) fiction, happy endings are almost always expected. Therefore, to me, the type of ending -- whether happy, sad, open, mysterious, whatever -- does not matter as much as the plots and events that lead to the end of the story. If the end can bring a logical and satisfying closure to whatever plot/event(s) in the book, I would consider it a good one, regardless of the associated emotions.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

CC, my friend, you are troubled.

To RongYingMin, I am guessing you are talking about tv adaptations only right? Cuz of the JY stories that you mentioned, only the SOD novels can truly be considered a happy ending.

I don't really care whether something has a happy ending or not, as long as the ending makes sense. Of course I would like to see a main character that I care be well and happy at the end of the story, but real life sucks, and I prefer my wuxia stories (even though the entire premise of wuxia stories are fictitious) to still seem real or at least plausible.
    Last edited by flyingfox2002; 12-20-06 at 12:48 AM.
    This account is retired.

Happy endings are too stereotypical. A few tragedies and deaths should be thrown in to make a good story.

DGSD : Xu Zhu turning evil. Takes out Sweeper Monk. Stabs his father in law, takes the Xixia throne, injures XF and steals DY's kung fu. Attempts to rule the world by taking the Liao throne as well, kills the Liao Emperor but finally dies while XF bear-hugs him TVB style while DY and SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan stabs him. DY then takes all of Ling Jiu Gong and the Xixia Harem as his concubines after MRF kills WYY while insane. XF kills himself over Ah Zhu's grave. Ah Zhi marries Zhuo Bufan.

ROCH : Yang Guo dies trying to save GX. XLN stabs GWM, takes palm to chest. Dies while asking GJ to bury her and YG together. Have dopey love song by latest teeny-bopper starlet (who the director will sleep with as a reward for bringing her fame) play ad-nauseam during XLN's last moments while 5 episodes are spent re-playing previous emotional scenes between XLN/YG. By re-playing 5 eps worth of old tape, budget is substantially saved. TVB will love me for such fiscal prudence, giving me the HSDS job as well. Special DVD edition will even throw in mushy scenes from ROCH 83 to extend play-time.

HSDS : SQS learns the 18 DP and 9 Yin, kills Z3F and ZZR. Xie Xun tells ZWJ he is his real father. SQS defeats ZWJ, who is only saved because Xiao Zhao uses the 'virginity to purge poison bullcrap method' to rescue him, dying in the process. ZWJ later stumbles into the ruins of Ling Jiu Gong where he finds the long lost manual of SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan, learning the secrets of the 24 variation God and Ghost Exchange Swordplay. Re-forges the Heaven Sword and goes for final showdown with SQS.

Final fight between ZWJ and SQS will be 1.5 episodes long and have more exploding rocks/purplesmoke/cheap CGI then 2 decades of TVB budgets ever allowed.

SOD LPZ leaves after crippling Lingshan, LHC dumps RYY to look after the crippled YLS. DFBB and LPZ bump into each other later on and fall in love, retiring together to live in DGKB's cave.

OMG! i don't think anything like this will ever be produced

Have dopey love song by latest teeny-bopper starlet (who the director will sleep with as a reward for bringing her fame) play ad-nauseam during XLN's last moments while 5 episodes are spent re-playing previous emotional scenes between XLN/YG. By re-playing 5 eps worth of old tape, budget is substantially saved.
    Well-said, happens all the time for those sex hungry directors. While the replaying bit is a bit exaggerated, no doubt thats what the filthy scums do... replay countless worthless love scenes.

I hate to bring up comic book superheroes again (actually, I don't, but maybe I should just say that), but why do wuxia stories even need to have an ending? Like those SUPERMAN and BATMAN comics that have been published continuously since the late 1930s, we could just have the "neverending battle for truth and justice" in the wulin world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Iwhy do wuxia stories even need to have an ending? Like those SUPERMAN and BATMAN comics that have been published continuously since the late 1930s, we could just have the "neverending battle for truth and justice" in the wulin world.
    because wulin is something like a fantasy.... and fantasy series usually with one sequel after another tends to run out of ideas.... eg. book 1 of 3 or 3 of 3 trilogy kicked off well, but when the second trilogy started to bring in new character and plot, the writer lose sense of direction and lacking original imagination. anyway, maybe wulin should have the neverending battle but there might prove to be a chaos altogether....

Quote Originally Posted by strife_au
    Well-said, happens all the time for those sex hungry directors. While the replaying bit is a bit exaggerated, no doubt thats what the filthy scums do... replay countless worthless love scenes.
    Oh its not exxagerated since I was speaking of the serial which I direct. There will be definitely 5 episodes worth of emotional/tear-jerking/sentimental YG/XLN scenes.

I need to extend the fanboy-service shots of the teary-dovey eyes of the latest Miss HK/China/etc runner-up (who I will use as XLN) and the fangirl-service shots of Takeshi Kaneshiro's (I'll use him for YG) soft hair blowing in the breeze while he furrows his handsome eyebrows while playing the latest soppy-love-songs sung by the 5 aspiring starlets (whom the director will sleep with as the price they pay for fame*.)

*attempts will also be made on the aforesaid Miss HK runner-up. Thats why the runner-up will be cast instead of the winner. Easier on the Director....
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Lol, Mr.CC, thanks heavens you are not a film director, or else wuxia world will be ruined by your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by SM HuangYushi
    1. Xia Ke Xing = the novel has a "happy" ending only if you think that being traumatised by the death of your long-lost adoptive mother within hours of re-uniting with her, and being told that the dead adoptive mother is the only one who actually knows the true origins of your birth, are both "happy" events.
    2. Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain = the novel has a "open" ending that can turn either "happy" or "sad", something that Jin Yong did not take any measures to confirm/ascertain even in the 3rd edition.
    1. Er..., I think Xia Ke Xing has an open ending too, IMO, Shi Potian would not be sad for long because he've just found out who are his real parents and how merciless his adoptive mom was.
    2. Jin Yong didn't state anything so I make as bold as to guess that Hufei n his father in law would safely escape from the abyss.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    To RongYingMin, I am guessing you are talking about tv adaptations only right? Cuz of the JY stories that you mentioned, only the SOD novels can truly be considered a happy ending.
    No, I'm talking to both the novels and the adaptations.
    O.o? HSDS n LOCH's endings can't be called happy?
    To me, a happy ending for a novel/adaptation means my favorite characters such as: Huo Qingtong, Di Yun, etc. have happy endings.
    Last edited by Huang Rong; 12-20-06 at 07:31 AM.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    1. Er..., I think Xia Ke Xing has an open ending too, IMO, Shi Potian would not be sad for long because he've just found out who are his real parents and how merciless his adoptive mom was.
    Nope, he didn't find out who his real parents are. Only his adoptive mother knows for sure. Yeah, he can live happily with Shi Qing and Min Rou. But there will always be something nagging behind his mind about his true origin. As for his adoptive mother, no matter how merciless she is, it's obvious that SPT loves his adoptive mother. Do u think he can just go "Mom is an evil woman. I'll just forget about her and live happily ever after with my new parents and dear dear Ah Xiu."?

No, I'm talking to both the novels and the adaptations.
    O.o? HSDS n LOCH's endings can't be called happy?
    To me, a happy ending for a novel/adaptation means my favorite characters such as: Huo Qingtong, Di Yun, etc. have happy endings.
    Huo Qingtong has a happy ending? I thought her tribe was all wiped out or something, wasn't it? Also, she didn't end up with the guy she loved. Her sister died pitifully.
    As for Di Yun. Yeah, he finally find respite in the snow mountain with Shui Sheng. But, I still feel sad for him. It's more of a defeated ending. The only way he can find some security is hiding away in some remote snowy mountain away from civilisation.
    Last edited by kidd; 12-20-06 at 10:59 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by RongYingMin
    Several months ago, I was about to read the English translation of 'The legendary siblings' when I read an article about an adaptation of this novel. It wrote that 3 out of 4 main characters would die at the end of the film, including: Xiao Yu'er (Little Fish), Hua Wujue (Flawless Flower) n Xie Xinlan. That wiped off my intention of reading the novel.(
    I dunno which article you read, but in even the JDSJ adaptation with the highest death toll, i.e. the Wong Jing adaptation, Xiao Yu-er and Hua Wuque didn't die. Also, both XYE and HWQ and their respective girlfriends didn't die in the novel.
    Last edited by kidd; 12-20-06 at 11:02 AM.

You will make a great Wong Jing successor.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Nope, he didn't find out who his real parents are. Only his adoptive mother knows for sure. Yeah, he can live happily with Shi Qing and Min Rou. But there will always be something nagging behind his mind about his true origin. As for his adoptive mother, no matter how merciless she is, it's obvious that SPT loves his adoptive mother. Do u think he can just go "Mom is an evil woman. I'll forget just forget about her and live happily ever after with my new parents and dear dear Ah Xiu."?
    Thanks, kidd! I knew I could count on you whenever a clarification on Xia Ke Xing is needed!

===

2. Jin Yong didn't state anything so I make as bold as to guess that Hufei n his father in law would safely escape from the abyss.
    Yes, you can go ahead and make whatever guess you want , but your personal desires/conjectures should *not* be taken as inter-changeable with the statement of fact (albeit a largely incorrect one) that is shown in the first sentence of the thread, viz:
    ===

Since kidd has already pointed out the inaccuracies about Huo Qingtong and Di Yun in this statement, I will just make a mention about the boldfaced/underlined section: Your definition of a "happy ending" should have been made clear when you started the thread. Then, there wouldn't have been so many posts about the various inaccuracies, and people can focus on answering the question: "Should a wuxia novel/adaptation have a happy-ending?" Don't you think so?
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    I dunno which article you read, but in even the JDSJ adaptation with the highest death toll, i.e. the Wong Jing adaptation, Xiao Yu-er and Hua Wuque didn't die. Also, both XYE and HWQ and their respective girlfriends didn't die in the novel.
    The adaptation I read about has the actings of Zhang Weijian, Xie Tingfeng, Fan Bingbing,... .
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

The adaptation I read about has the actings of Zhang Weijian, Xie Tingfeng, Fan Bingbing,... .
    Nope, both brothers didn't die in that adaptation, but it's still a sad ending. So, if u don't like sad ending better give this series a skip. This series started out good but went downhill later. Wong Jing killed too many characters unneccessarily. Characters who have happy ending in the novel died pointlessly. The plot in the series is also quite different from the novel. But I like Nic Tse as Hua Wuque in the series.