Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Lin Yuantu and XAJH - plot inconsistency?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8

    Default Lin Yuantu and XAJH - plot inconsistency?

    I was hoping someone who had read XAJH could help me with the following, as my "knowledge" stems mainly from the 2001 TV series.

    BXJF/KHBD required castration to learn and master the inner power techniques. We all know well that it turned Dong Fang Bu Bai into an effeminate person. There seems to be some suggestion that Yue Buqun and Lin Pingzhi also began to show some signs of this, although they had not been castrated long.

    Obviously, the introduction of DFBB, top-notch fighter, as some guy in drag is a big shock to the first time viewer/reader, and it wouldn't do for Jin Yong to spring this plot surprise early on, but can anyone speculate as to how Lin Yuantu made his name in wulin, and established an (adopted) family and a wealthy, well-known escort house, all the while being effeminate? That is, if he was effeminate at all? Was he able to fake it with techniques or discipline learned at Shaolin?

  2. #2
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,036

    Default

    The most likely explanation is that he was disciplined enough to control himself.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Surferket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Because he never learned it. Else his family won't have been wiped out so easily.

  4. #4
    Moderator Suet Seung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    14,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surferket
    Because he never learned it. Else his family won't have been wiped out so easily.
    We're talking about Lin Ping Zhi's grandfather/great grandfather not father.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

    Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Surferket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Then that old gent would have learned it after having his family. That art was a total secret so even when he used it no one would have known the background of it. Even in the timeframe of XAJH, no one knew that one must castrate first in order to practice it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    We're talking about Lin Ping Zhi's grandfather/great grandfather not father.

  6. #6
    Moderator Suet Seung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    14,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surferket
    Then that old gent would have learned it after having his family. That art was a total secret so even when he used it no one would have known the background of it. Even in the timeframe of XAJH, no one knew that one must castrate first in order to practice it.
    What do you mean "after having his family"? He castrated himself already and therefore had to buy a family to be his "family", all his decendants weren't his biological decendants (from the same bloodline).
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

    Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Surferket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    It simply means having his family the natural way, then castrate himself to learn that art. Lin Pin Zhi had that option too but he was impatient to master it and take his revenge.

    Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    What do you mean "after having his family"? He castrated himself already and therefore had to buy a family to be his "family", all his decendants weren't his biological decendants (from the same bloodline).

  8. #8
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surferket
    It simply means having his family the natural way, then castrate himself to learn that art. Lin Pin Zhi had that option too but he was impatient to master it and take his revenge.
    It was explicitly stated by Lin Pingzhi that Lin Yuantu could not bear children b/c he was already castrated. His "family" was simply a disguise for what he had become.

    Chapter 35, Smiling Proud Wanderer: 林平之道:不是的。这三个字拖
    得很长,可是语意中并无丝毫犹疑,顿了一顿,道:我初时也如你这般想,只过得几天
    ,便知不然。我爷爷决不能是远图公的亲生儿子,多半是远图公领养的。远图公娶妻生子
    ,只是为了掩人耳目。
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  9. #9
    Senior Member Surferket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    So his "family" is not his blood descendants but "bought" to cover his inability to have a real family?


    Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    It was explicitly stated by Lin Pingzhi that Lin Yuantu could not bear children b/c he was already castrated. His "family" was simply a disguise for what he had become.

    Chapter 35, Smiling Proud Wanderer: 林平之道:不是的。这三个字拖
    得很长,可是语意中并无丝毫犹疑,顿了一顿,道:我初时也如你这般想,只过得几天
    ,便知不然。我爷爷决不能是远图公的亲生儿子,多半是远图公领养的。远图公娶妻生子
    ,只是为了掩人耳目。

  10. #10
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,376

    Default

    Right. The family was just a fake cover up. Lin Pingzhi also followed a similar route by marrying a girl only to cover his a$$ and the fact that he'd already castrated.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Right. The family was just a fake cover up. Lin Pingzhi also followed a similar route by marrying a girl only to cover his a$$ and the fact that he'd already castrated.
    ahaha, I guess to put it correctly, Lin Pingzhi married a girl not to cover his back a$$ but his missing front part

  12. #12
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortsight
    ahaha, I guess to put it correctly, Lin Pingzhi married a girl not to cover his back a$$ but his missing front part
    He also tried to cover his a$$ b/c everyone in wulin including Yue Buqun wanted to nail his a$$.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  13. #13
    Senior Member Surferket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    The 01 series showed him waking up after his wedding night. Seems it was not clear whether he did consummate his marriage.
    He left the house and castrated himself then.

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Right. The family was just a fake cover up. Lin Pingzhi also followed a similar route by marrying a girl only to cover his a$$ and the fact that he'd already castrated.

  14. #14
    Moderator Suet Seung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    14,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surferket
    The 01 series showed him waking up after his wedding night. Seems it was not clear whether he did consummate his marriage.
    He left the house and castrated himself then.
    Well, the 2001 has its inaccuracies.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

    Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Perhaps castration affects every man differently. If the monk only went as far as Yue Buqun in terms of becoming effeminate, then that's not a big deal.

    The 3-some of monk, YBQ, and LPZ did not practice the exact same kungfu as DFBB, so perhaps Kui Hua Bao Dian makes men more feminine than Bi Xie Jian Fa.
    This account is retired.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Surferket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Isn't Bi Xie Jian Fa just someone's copy of Kui Hua Bao Dian?

    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    Perhaps castration affects every man differently. If the monk only went as far as Yue Buqun in terms of becoming effeminate, then that's not a big deal.

    The 3-some of monk, YBQ, and LPZ did not practice the exact same kungfu as DFBB, so perhaps Kui Hua Bao Dian makes men more feminine than Bi Xie Jian Fa.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    Perhaps castration affects every man differently. If the monk only went as far as Yue Buqun in terms of becoming effeminate, then that's not a big deal.

    The 3-some of monk, YBQ, and LPZ did not practice the exact same kungfu as DFBB, so perhaps Kui Hua Bao Dian makes men more feminine than Bi Xie Jian Fa.
    That's a good point. Didn't really think about the difference between KHBD and BXJF, but I had assumed that the castration part was what made them effeminate, and perhaps the time interval as well, since DFBB had been without his equipment for many years.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surferket
    Isn't Bi Xie Jian Fa just someone's copy of Kui Hua Bao Dian?
    The monk wrote down BXJF from his memory of what the two thieves from Hua Shan told him. Although BXJF and KHBD (the incomplete, very possibly inaccurate version written down by the thieves) are similar, they are not likely to be identical. It is possible that slightly different practice methods will yield slightly different results. Neither DFBB nor the practitioners of BXJF had the true KHBD, who knows what the original kung fu would have been like.
    Last edited by flyingfox2002; 12-28-06 at 12:35 AM.
    This account is retired.

  19. #19
    Senior Member junzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Just curious. IIRC Lao Denuo brought a copy of Bi Xie Jian Fa riddled with inaccuracies back to Qingcheng Sect right? So did those Qingcheng people who learnt it castrate themselves too?

  20. #20
    Moderator Suet Seung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    14,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by junzi
    Just curious. IIRC Lao Denuo brought a copy of Bi Xie Jian Fa riddled with inaccuracies back to Qingcheng Sect right? So did those Qingcheng people who learnt it castrate themselves too?
    Yue Buqun knew that someone steal his copy so he made up another copy that I think left out the castration detail? But I thought Lao De Nuo brought it back to Zuo Leng Chan, the Song Shan school master since it was ZLC who sent him into Hua Shan school to spy.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

    Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-22-19, 02:31 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-06-07, 09:42 PM
  3. Love Triangle: The same old plot
    By AngeL_oF_Death in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-07-05, 10:17 PM
  4. Minor inconsistency in Flying Fox?
    By PJ in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-04, 03:45 PM
  5. Gu Long timeline inconsistency?
    By PJ in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-30-04, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •