Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sad enough to make you cry

Default Sad enough to make you cry

Out of all the wuxia novels/movies/adaptations you have read/seen/heard of what do you think is the saddest moment or event that happened to make you cry (or come close to crying)?
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

The most heartbreaking moments for me have transcended the stage of tear-shedding. They simply penetrate my soul and I can really feel my heart sinking, but no tears come out. That's when I know I've seen something truly special.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I am very self-controled n hardly shed tears. So making me cry, never, but rather close to weeping mode it is the new final chapter of The Book and the Sword when Chen Jialuo seems to have seen the soul of Princess Xiang Xiang in the sky talking to him.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    I am very self-controled n hardly shed tears.
    Sounds like you been practicing Ancient Tomb Kung fu

I don't tend to cry while reading, but I did cry when A Zhu died in TLBB (probably because I watched the 03 adaptation before reading the book).

As for adaptations, I cried a lot...when A Zhu died, of course. Also when A Zi/Xiao Feng committed suicide, although I guess it was for the good of the realm.

I can't think of any other "sad" moments that made me cry...I tend to cry more when I'm touched. Like in HSDS, when Zhang Wuji starts accusing Zhao Min of stealing the Tu Long Dao and killing Yin Li. And then Zhao Min starts telling him, "Do you know that for you, I've already died once? That for you, I've killed my brother, etc." and then Zhang Wuji hugs her like any normal, loving man should.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    Sounds like you been practicing Ancient Tomb Kung fu
    ^.^, no. living in a tomb is so boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    I can't think of any other "sad" moments that made me cry...I tend to cry more when I'm touched. Like in HSDS, when Zhang Wuji starts accusing Zhao Min of stealing the Tu Long Dao and killing Yin Li. And then Zhao Min starts telling him, "Do you know that for you, I've already died once? That for you, I've killed my brother, etc." and then Zhang Wuji hugs her like any normal, loving man should.
    Yeah, that's a scene that used to make me touched until the day I read about changes of HSDS 3rd edition.
    In the novel, ZWJ slapped Zhao Min until she was unconscious yet she didn't get angry, just sit beside a table in a inn and sobbed while ZWJ was staring at her by his pair of spiteful eyes.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

In LOCH 03 where Ke Zhen E is holding the metal staff and having visions of when him and his brothers/sister played in the place he was in (can't remember the name of the place)...this scene was near the end...after the freaks were killed, and HR was saving KZE...that scene was really sad for me for some reason...
    ~redfirefly124

Yeah, that's a scene that used to make me touched until the day I read about changes of HSDS 3rd edition.
    In the novel, ZWJ slapped Zhao Min until she was unconscious yet she didn't get angry, just sit beside a table in a inn and sobbed while ZWJ was staring at her by his pair of spiteful eyes.
    OMG seriously? I couldn't imagine ZWJ being like that - I think I would hate him after that! How absolutely ungrateful is that?!? I mean, ZZR "killed" Yin Li, stole his yifu's Tu Long Dao, framed Zhao Min...but ZWJ never hit her. I've never read the 3rd edition (I'm guessing ZWJ doesn't end up with ZM), but I don't think I'll like it much. It'd be a disaster if ZM puts out so much for ZWJ, but ZWJ doesn't appreciate it.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

There are moments in the novel that really make me wish I had a lover like Ah Zhu. She is so sweet. After reading the passage a couple of times, I have almost immersed myself in Xiao Feng's role completely in feeling her love.

萧峰走下岭来,来到山侧,猛然间看到一块大岩,心中一凛:“当年玄慈方丈、汪帮主
    等率领中原豪杰,伏击我爹爹,杀死了我母亲和不少契丹武士,便是如此。”一侧头,只见
    一片山壁上斧凿的印痕宛然可见,正是玄慈将萧远山所留字迹削去之处。
    萧峰缓缓回头,见到石壁旁一株花树,耳中似乎听到了阿泊当年躲在身后的声音:“乔
    大爷,你再打下去,这座山峰也要给你击倒了。”
    他一呆,阿朱情致殷殷的几句话,清清楚楚的在他脑海呼响起:“我在这里已等了你五
    日五夜,我只怕你不能来。你……你果然来了,谢谢老天爷保祜,你终于安好无恙。”
    萧峰热泪盈眶,走到树旁,伸手摩挲树干,见那树比之当日与阿朱相会时已高了不少。
    一时间伤心欲绝,浑忘了身外之事。
    忽听得一个尖锐的声音叫道:“姊夫,快退!快退!”阿紫奔近身来,拉住萧峰衣袖。
    萧峰一抬头,远远望出去,只见东面、北面、南面三方,辽军长矛的矛头犹如树林般刺
    向天空,竟然已经合围。萧峰点了点头,道:“好,咱们退入雁门关再说。”
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

OMG seriously? I couldn't imagine ZWJ being like that - I think I would hate him after that! How absolutely ungrateful is that?!? I mean, ZZR "killed" Yin Li, stole his yifu's Tu Long Dao, framed Zhao Min...but ZWJ never hit her. I've never read the 3rd edition (I'm guessing ZWJ doesn't end up with ZM), but I don't think I'll like it much. It'd be a disaster if ZM puts out so much for ZWJ, but ZWJ doesn't appreciate it.
    Yes, seriously.
    Here is the passage in Chinese version in which ZWJ slapped and made ZM go unconscious:

张无忌听得群丐去远,庙中再无半点声响,于是从鼓中跃了出来。赵敏跟着跃出,理一
    理身上衣衫,似喜似嗔地横了他一眼。张无忌怒道:“哼,亏你还有脸来见我?”赵敏俏脸
    一沉,道:“怎么啦?我甚么地方得罪张大教主啦?”张无忌脸上如罩严霜,喝道:“你要
    盗那倚天剑和屠龙刀,我不怪你!你将我抛在荒岛之上,我也不怪你!可是殷姑娘已然身受
    重伤,你何以还要再下毒手!似你这等狠毒的女子,当真天下少见。”说到此处,悲愤难
    抑,跨上一步,左右开弓,便是四记耳光。赵敏在他掌力笼罩之下,如何闪避得了?啪啪啪
    啪四声响过,两边脸颊登时红肿。
    赵敏又痛又怒,珠泪滚滚而下,哽咽道:“你说我盗了倚天剑和屠龙刀,是谁见来?谁
    说我对殷姑娘下了毒手,你叫她来跟我对质。”张无忌愈加愤怒,大声道:“好!我叫你到
    阴间去跟她对质。”左手圈出,右手回扣,已叉住了她项颈,双手使劲。赵敏呼吸不得,伸
    指戳向他胸口,但这一指如中败絮,指上劲力消失得无影无踪。霎时之间,她满脸紫胀,晕
    了过去。张无忌记着殷离之仇,本待将她扼死,但见了她这等神情,忽地心软,放松了双
    手。赵敏往后便倒,咚的一声,后脑撞在大殿的青石板上。过了好一阵,赵敏才悠悠醒转,
    只见张无忌双目凝望着自己,满脸担心的神色,见她睁眼,这才吁了一口气。

I once asked the forum member Whsie about the ending of HSDS, he told me that ZWJ in the end still ended up with Zhao Min but he didn't know who was the girl he loved most. =.=. So disappointed with ZWJ.
    Last edited by Huang Rong; 12-26-06 at 09:37 AM.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

ZWJ haters club. who wants to join?

i never liked him but that is just too much!

Haha finally ZWJ shows that hes a man of action!

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu1995

Oh yea, I would like to join. This is one reason why i dislike the book. ZWJ is so indecisive
    盈盈道:“岳先生被逼吞食此药物之后,自是日夜不安,急欲解毒。一日不解,一日难以安心。他知道只有从你身 上打算,才能得到解药。”

令狐冲道:“这个自然。我是你的心肝宝贝,也只有用我,才能向你换到解药。”

我乃逍遥人,自然逍遥去。 - Fearless

Yes, seriously.
    I once asked the forum member Whsie about the ending of HSDS, he told me that ZWJ in the end still ended up with Zhao Min but he didn't know who was the girl he loved most. =.=. So disappointed with ZWJ.
    I am so disappointed with ZWJ too. The thing is, I never really hated ZWJ much, so that is just disappointing. And how could he not know that he loved Zhao Min most? Wow, I feel awful for Zhao Min.

And what is wrong with him? Men who beat their girlfriends (Zhao Min is kind of ZWJ's girlfriend) should have their hands chopped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bao
    Out of all the wuxia novels/movies/adaptations you have read/seen/heard of what do you think is the saddest moment or event that happened to make you cry (or come close to crying)?
    Very few in between. For sure, I never cried when someone died, or so I don't think.

Xiao Feng Austin Wai version - Actually no, I was very emotional during this scene. I might have shed a tear. Great speech, great background music, unexpected suicide, blood coming out of mouth.

Xiao Li Fei Dao Taiwan adaptation with Vincent Jiao - When Ah Fei found out that LXH was actually his best friend. The whole letter that was read, I shed a tear.

HSDS86 - When I found out in the end Cheung Mo Kei saying he loves Chiu Mun the most and I know that my dream of him going back to Chow Chi Yek was dead. I was only 6 years old though. It was more like crying because I did not get what I wanted.

Come close - Two Honorable Knights. Had Xiao Yu Er not come back to life, I think I would have been very sad for Hua Wu Que finding out he killed his own brother. It kind of kills it though because in the intros, I see clearly Tony and Hugo killing Yeung Chak Lam, so I knew Xiao Yu Er was going to come back.

Come close - Yang Kang dying in LOCH82. Somewhat sad, somewhat justified. It was bittersweet. He wasn't really a great guy to begin with. But he did love MNC. It was sad to see her cry and singing, but like I said, Yang Kang had it coming to him. Up to this point though, I still preferred over Yang Kang over Kwok Jing. Can not stand Kwok Jing stupidity. I am glad KJ got better though at the end of LOCH. Oops getting off topic here.

Yes, seriously.
    Well, that ending does satisfy for CCY fans like me. I am also glad for Chu Er and Xiao Ciao as well. I think they all deserve his love. I am fine with him being with ZM only, but I did not like how he only loved her the most.

I bet most people dislike CMK though because it sounds wishy-washy doesn't it. Same reason with people disliking Yuan Chengzhi with liking the princess as well and not just Qing Qing.

And how could he not know that he loved Zhao Min most? Wow, I feel awful for Zhao Min.
    And what is wrong with him? Men who beat their girlfriends (Zhao Min is kind of ZWJ's girlfriend) should have their hands chopped off.
    Only God/JinYong knows why.
    Yeah, you're right. If I were Zhao Min, ZWJ's right hand, the hand which he used to slapped Zhao Min, would be chopped off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    Well, that ending does satisfy for CCY fans like me. I am also glad for Chu Er and Xiao Ciao as well. I think they all deserve his love. I am fine with him being with ZM only, but I did not like how he only loved her the most.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

Only God/JinYong knows why.
    Yeah, you're right. If I were Zhao Min, ZWJ's right hand, the hand which he used to slapped Zhao Min, would be chopped off.

I love that smiley. It looks so funny. ZZR fans have never quite managed to convince me. Anyway, if you truly liked ZZR and cared for her happiness, you wouldn't want her to only have 1/4 of ZWJ's love.

I think Jinyong was clearly not considering ZWJ/ZM fans when he wrote that scene...he should stop with the new editions. It just screws stuff up. Anyway, I think ZWJ liking all the girls equally is so indecisive (and he's already got a bad rep for being indecisive)...I wouldn't want that. Plus if I were ZWJ (pretending to be a guy here) I would love ZM most.

Even better, ZM should chop of his entire arm, like Guo Fu did to Yang Guo.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu1995

I am SO willing to join!!! I'd always hated him! ...well, maybe not so much in the beginning (after all who can hate a little kid?).

But I really am a big fan of ZZR, and it's just unfair! He should make up his mind and stick with that decision! He's just causing each of them more and more heartbreak the longer it takes for him to make the decision. I believe I've come to dislike ZWJ more that I dislike Guo Fu (and she annoys/frustrates me to no end).

There isn't really a particular moment in any wuxia series/movie/book to make me cry. Maybe make me feel really sad and depressed for a bit, but I don't think I've ever full-on cried for any wuxia series/movie/book.
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

I definitely hear the voices of teenaged girls speaking here...

Cheung Mo Gei only saved several hundred, maybe several thousand lives during his lifetime through his humane philosophy of life, saintly patience and generosity, and ability to keep a cool head when most others couldn't.

But I suppose that's trivial compared to the fact that his love life was *such* a mess. Yep. Doesn't matter how many people you save or help or how great your spirit is if you piss off love-crazed teenage girls.