Thread: Ratings in General

Default Ratings in General

Just curious, I'm not sure how the rating thing works in HK. Is the ratings based on the number of viewers or something else? What's considered a high rating, and what's considered low? I remember reading off somewhere so and so series reached 40~ what's the highest it can reach? =) Thanks for your help

a little island east of america and west of europe

How it works.... kind of.

The ratings system is on a points system, where 1 point represents 1% of the entire population of Hong Kong. Therefore at Hong Kong's current population of around 6.9 million people, then 1 point is equivalent to roughly 69,000 viewers watching that show at that time.

So ratings points of 35 means that 35% (that's one in three people) in Hong Kong were watching at the time, which if you think of all the people doing other things at that time, is quite impressive!!

Hope that helps!

ooh...thanks for that!! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Em

The ratings system is on a points system, where 1 point represents 1% of the entire population of Hong Kong. Therefore at Hong Kong's current population of around 6.9 million people, then 1 point is equivalent to roughly 69,000 viewers watching that show at that time.

So ratings points of 35 means that 35% (that's one in three people) in Hong Kong were watching at the time, which if you think of all the people doing other things at that time, is quite impressive!!

Hope that helps!

That's really interesting to know. I used to think ratings were based on the % of people actually watching TV at the time, not the entire population of Hong Kong. Now the high ones are that much more impressive to me.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Wait does that refer to a single episode, or the percentage of people who watched at least one episode? I couldn't imagine it with population though in China...didn't HZGG get above 50% ratings? I think there's a good percent of rural Chinese that might not have TV, plus many HS students are too busy with their studies and many board.

That is impressive...people in HK seem to all have televisions.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Em

Hope that helps!

this doesnt make sense cause lets say a tv is on in a house, there could be several ppl watchiong it, so the ratings are sorta unreal
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

a little island east of america and west of europe

hmm.. maybe my explanation was a little too simplistic.

They don't physically count how many TV's are switched on. There is a statistical analysis involved in the calculation that uses the average number of people per household and then a percentage of the population is surveyed. That's why there are so many different 'ways' of measuring TV ratings and obviously it's up to the companies which ones to use to give them the best figures!

As for the Chinese ratings, there are a lot of different TV stations within China for each province and each area and then there are the mass of CCTV stations. I would guess that they use the same kind of statistical analysis worked out against the viewing population for each area rather than the whole country.

It's all just a numbers game - you need to look at comparative values rather than absolute ones to judge on performance.