Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Rise of the White Warrior

sorry for the long wait Spidey. i've been busy lately but here's an update. =)

CHAPTER 19: Getting Noticed

Characters:
    Mok Ming Hei - Benny Chan
    Tong Siu lan - Leila Tong
    Tong Yi Ting
    Mung Wai Hung - Sammul Chan
    Mung Deep Ting - Myolie Wu

After getting ready for the day, Siu Lan and Yi Ting headed for the city to sell their flowers with a new cart the three of them worked on fixing as Ming Hei stayed home to enhance his martial arts. As they did, Mung Wai Hung was home trying to finish a painting capturing every feature of Siu Lan’s face outside his garden. When he completed his task, he lifted the painting up as he gazed upon it with admiration. Though his painting skill was not of excellence, about a third of the painting did seem like Siu Lan.

“Siu Yeh,” greeted a servant as he entered the room.

“Three days have passed since I’ve gave you your assignment, what do you bring forth?” asked Wai Hung as he sat down.

“The maiden’s name is Tong Siu Lan. She and her mother sell flowers in the city for a living. Her father died at an early age, therefore she has no siblings. People said that they live outside the city on a hill that no one ever goes near because there was once a deadly battle there with many lives sacrificed. Today, strong wind currents always lie upon the mountains paths, which were suspected to be the dead not wanting intruders upon their land. Because of this, people believe that the hill is under a curse,” reported the servant.

“Siu Lan—such a cute name. Though they are living in such an odd place, it doesn’t matter,” said Wai Hung as he got up and started walking out the door.

“Where are you going Siu Yeh?” questioned the servant as he blocked his way.

“To find Tong Siu Lan,” said Wai Hung as he pushed him aside.

As he stepped was about to step out the door, Deep Ting entered with a tray of tea in her hands and blocking his path. She smiled to Wai Hung. Though he acted like he didn’t see her by going around her, Deep Ting stopped him.

“Where are you going, Wai Hung? I brought you some Monkey Picked Tea. I know that you always love it. Here, have some.”

“No. I’m not in the mood,” said Wai Hung as he slightly pushed her aside and walked out the door.

Confused about his actions, Deep Ting shouted his name from afar. Though, Wai Hung ignored her voice and continued walking at a speedy pace until he was out in the streets, where he started wandering around for Siu Lan. Soon, he spotted them selling flowers on the side of a street and walked over happily.

“Siu Lan!” called Wai Hung happily when he came over.

Siu Lan jumped at his sudden greeting. Seeing his face, Siu Lan’s fright increased her blood circulation, rising her body temperature. She instantly took a few steps back, and Yi Ting stepped before her.

“Good morning Mrs. Tong,” greeted Wai Hung with a friendly attitude.

“May I ask your reason for being here?” questioned Yi Ting.

“No special reason. I just wanted to see Siu Lan,” answered Wai Hung with a cheesy smile. Yi Ting glanced at her daughter, who was shivering at the sight of him. Never has she seen Siu Lan like this, for she had always stood tall and strong in front of massive sects like the Monkey Clan, but why is she so scared of this man who was by himself and not as worthy of an opponent?

“I’m sorry, but sundown is approaching and we need to get home. Please leave before I make you, Mr. Mung,” Yi Ting then started organizing her flowers as if Wai Hung was never there.

Seeing her playing with them, Wai Hung then said, “Say, I’ll buy ten daisies.”

“Very well then, it’ll be 20 coins,” said Yi Ting as she took his money and handed him the flowers. “Goodbye.”

“Can I ask your daughter to bring the flowers to my home and help me plant them? I can pay more for that,” said Wai Hung. Yi Ting stared at her daughter. Seeing their skepticism, he continued, “These flowers are yours. No one else and plant them into the soil better! If you do not help me plant them, they won’t live as long and that’ll be a waste of your hard work. Please?”

Yi Ting thought for a short while and said, “Fine. That will be an extra 6 coins though.”

“No problem at all!” said Wai Hung as he handed her the money.

Siu Lan looked at her mother unwillingly and tugged on her sleeve, but her mother placed her hand on top of hers to calm her. Then, she packed the daisies and said grumpily, “Shall we go now?”

“Yes, yes! This way!” said Wai Hung as he opened the path for her to walk

Wai Hung caught up with her and said, “How old are you Siu Lan?”

Siu Lan glanced at him with her scintillating big eyes and replied with a gentle voice, “Nineteen.”

“Nineteen? I’m twenty one! Our ages are pretty close, aren’t they?” asked Wai Hung, trying to get her to talk. Siu Lan didn’t answer.

“Are you scared?” wondered Wai Hung.

Annoyed, Siu Lan stopped walking and glared at him with annoyance in his still so bright and big eyes. Wai Hung continued to watch her with a big stupid smile on his, unaware of her irritation.

“You look cute when you look at me this way,” stated Wai Hung stupidly.

Siu Lan was furious. She just couldn’t stand him. “Mr. Mung! Are you trying to track down my family history or do you need me to help you plant these flowers in your backyard? If you don’t really want these flowers, then I can give you back your money! They have a life too, like us. Please do not treat them like trash.”

Wai Hung just kept that stupid smile he had on his face and said, “Please don’t be mad, Siu Lan. I’m not going to waste the flowers. They are so pretty, who can do such a thing?”

“You—” started Siu Lan as she lifted her hand as if she was going to slap him, but she couldn’t. Placing her arm down, they walked in silence until they reached the Mung Residents, where Siu Lan started planting the flowers as Wai Hung watched her. He just couldn’t keep his eyes off of her.

“Siu Lan, are you hungry?” asked Wai Hung.

“No,” replied Siu Lan as she continued planting.

“Are you sure? I bet you are. Don’t worry! I’ll go to the kitchen right now to get you some snacks,” said Wai Hung as he headed towards the kitchen without waiting for reply.

“Hey! Hey!” called Siu Lan, but he was already too far. Siu Lan nodded her head and went back to planting, but at a faster pace so she could get home earlier and see Ming Hei. In the corner, Deep Ting walked out with two servants by her side. Upon entering the yard, she saw Siu Lan’s presence.

“Who are you?” questioned Deep Ting as she approached her.

Siu Lan stood up and greeted her upon recognizing the voice, “Miss Mung, My name is Tong Siu Lan. Mr. Mung ordered me to plant these flowers in the yard.”

“Daisies? I hate daisies. Get them out of my face.”

“But Mr. Mung told me to plant them here.”

“Do you need me to repeat again? I hate daisies. The only flowers that can be in this backyard are orchids and lilies. Understand? If Wai Hung tells you to plant them here, then I tell you to take them out of here. NOW!”

“Deep Ting!” yelled Wai Hung angrily as came back. “What are you doing? Siu Lan, are you okay?”

Siu Lan just looked onto the ground, attempting to stay out of the bickering, but no matter what she did, she was their topic.

“Deep Ting, what did you do now?” queried Wai Hung seriously.

“Nothing. It’s all her fault. I said that I don’t like daisies and she refuses to take them away,” answered Deep Ting as if it was Siu Lan’s fault. Wai Hung placed his snacks on the table.

“Deep Ting. I told Siu Lan to plant them here. If you don’t like daisies, it does not mean that I don’t. You have no right to take them out of here when I bought the. This house is my family’s possession! Besides, there are many things and people whom I do not like who are in my face every single day. What can I do? I can’t get rid of them!” yelled Wai Hung angrily.

“You—” started Deep Ting. She glanced at Siu Lan and then back at Wai Hung. Angrily, she stomped off with her servants.

“Siu Lan, are you okay?” asked Wai Hung as he accidentally touched her hands. Siu Lan quickly pulled her hands way in a frightened manner.

“I—I’m fine,” said Siu Lan nervously as she went back to planting the flowers.

Wai Hung watched her for a short while and then said, “Are you hungry? Here, have some of these cookies. They are freshly made and are very tasty!”

“No thank you. My mother is waiting for me at the edge of the city. There! I’m done. Thank you for your business Mung Gong Zi. Goodbye,” said Siu Lan hastily as she started heading out the door. She was too quick. Even though she lost her martial arts, Wai Hung couldn’t catch up to her.

At the edge of the city, Yi Ting began to pace, for she has been waiting for quite a while and has started getting worried. Just then, Siu Lan appeared in the distance.

“Mother,” greeted Siu Lan.

“Ready? Let’s go,” said Yi Ting as they started heading their way home. “Siu Lan, remember to not tell Ming Hei about this okay? You know how he reacted last time when you told him what happened the other day. What do you think he’ll think this time?” clarified Yi Ting.

“Yes mother,” said Siu Lan.

Upon approaching the bottom of their hill, the winds blew very hard and strong, sending a chilling sensation down one’s body. Of course, the two knew that it was Ming Hei practicing his martial arts once again. This time though, the wind was more powerful than usual. It seems like the wind had its own sense of direction and place that they want to go to. The attachment of the Extreme Sudden really did seem like it aid the Ching Sum Kuet. At home, Ming Hei flew from tree to tree with ease as if he was using the gusts of wind as a foot support. As he did so, he swiped his fan from side to side. Each strike he directed with his fan, a stream of fire formed along the ground. He quickly recovered by flicking his fan open and motioned it from his right side to his left side. He then lifted it into the air and motioned it in the pattern of the Ying and Yang sign. As he did this, the wind stirred up and a small stream of water exited the sky, putting out the fire. Ming Hei landed back on the ground with his fan opened before his chest as he watched the fire being put out, all under his prediction and control.

A loud ovation was heard from behind. “Siu Lan?” said Ming Hei as he turned around.

“That was excellent!” applauded Siu Lan as she gave him a hug. Ming Hei pinched her nose.

“Ming Hei, you really captured the power of the ‘Extreme Sudden’ really well,” complimented Yi Ting.

“Really?” wondered Ming Hei.

“If you pay attention to your stepping as you fly in the air, you powered the wind to have its own sense of direction so they form a stepping rock for you as you walk and disperse immediately after you pass, as if they built you a path. That is the power of the fourth level of the Extreme Sudden,” enlightened Yi Ting proudly. Ming Hei’s eyes widened at the news he just absorbed. Seeing his surprised but proud face, Yi Ting gladly continued, “I’m sure that the power of the Ching Sum Kuet and the Extreme Sudden combined will be more powerful than what I see before my very eyes just a moment ago. Your control of just water and fire that I saw was already incredible. I’m sure you could even control them at a higher level with all the other forces of nature in the grasp of your hand.”

“Higher level? What do you mean? And what are the other forces of nature?”

“Your powers are not limited, because of the lack of environment. If you really wanted to use your powers, you will be able to change the flow of the water in the river, put out or start a whole forest fire, and even launch or stop a flood. The Ching Sum Kuet allows you to control nature, and nature is everything in this world, with the exception of humans, for the controller is a human. With a blow of your flute, you can even divert the direction of shooting arrows back to your attacker. Typhoons, hurricanes, thunderstorms—all these natural disasters lie within your hands.”

“Please don’t joke with me, Tong Ma. It’s just martial arts, not magic.”

“Ah, but the Ching Sum Kuet is different. Let’s see, shall we?” Yi Ting then picked up a stone and threw it at Ming Hei.

“Tong Ma! What are you doing?” queried Ming Hei as he dodged it.

“Take out your flute and blow a few note into it.” She threw another rock at him.

“What notes though?” He dodged it again.

“I don’t know, why don’t you find out?” She threw another stone at him.

Ming Hei quickly pulled out his flute and two peaceful notes were heard. The stone immediately dropped to the ground. Ming Hei stared at his flute. “Did—did I do that?” asked Ming Hei.

“Power of the Ching Sum Kuet,” said Yi Ting as she smiled. “The more dangerous a situation a person is in, the more they desire to live. At that point, the only thought you have is to live. As you kept that thought in mind, the available options given for you to live skims through your soul and body. The power of the Ching Sum Kuet follows those thoughts to help you to strive, Ming Hei. You can try its power down by the river where you and Siu Lan used to hang out. Keep on walking west and there is a spot where no one goes to because of its odd smell. Even though it smells odd, the place is empty and safe. With your current powers, I’m sure you’ll be able to take the stink away. Am I right?”

“Yes, Tong Ma,” said Ming Hei gratefully. Therefore, that was where he ventured the very next day.

That following evening when Yi Ting and Siu Lan returned from the city was calm and peaceful. However, this calmness was the beginning of disaster. As they pushed their cart back up the mountain, a group of 10 men in black who carried heavy, long swords jumped out and circled the two.

“Who sent you?” demanded Yi Ting as she clasp a dagger between each of her finger.

The men in black did not reply, but charged right towards them. Though Siu Lan lost her martial arts, her reflect was still fast and quick, and dodging was definitely not a problem. With a few kicks and aims, all the men fell down with a poison dagger in their hearts. Grasping the only alive men by the neck, Yi Ting demanded, “Who ordered you to assassinate us?”

“It—it’s Miss Mung!” yelled the man.

“Mung Deep Ting?” queried Yi Ting madly as she turned around, noticing movement in the bushes behind. Terrified that they knew of her existence here, Deep Ting tried to escape. Before she was able to, Yi Ting grabbed her by the collar and forced her to face her. “Why did you do this?!” required Yi Ting madly.

“Wh—who told your daughter to bother my Wai Hung?!” yelled Deep Ting.

“It’s your Wai Hung who is bothering us! What kind of person are you?! Just because you can’t have the man you want, it doesn’t mean that you should kill the women that your man likes! It’s your problems if you can’t gain his heart! Not ours! Don’t think you can do whatever you want JUST because you are an upper class! Do you hear me?!” shouted Yi Ting furiously and let go of her collar. Deep Ting just glared at her as she fixed her clothing. After that, she stomped away quickly with an attitude.

“I have NEVER. I have NEVER seen someone as arrogant and ignorant as her,” said Yi Ting as she shook her head.

“Mother, let’s go home,” said Siu Lan as she pulled her mother away with her strength. She may have lost her martial arts, but she was still surely strong and powerful. As Yi Ting got dragged, she kept her head turned, just to make sure that Deep Ting wasn’t following them or anything.

The next morning, Wai Hung was in his yard as he admired the ten daisies planted in his backyard. He was so focused on them that he started daydreaming. He dreamed of him being in a field of daisies, all planted by Siu Lan. As he examined that big field, Siu Lan walked up front behind and hugged him from behind. There, he stood up and looked right at her eyes as he brushed her hair to the side to have a closer look at her face. As he looked, he leaned forward as Siu Lan smile. Soon, their lips were a mere centimeter from each other.

“What are you doing?” said Deep Ting.

Wai Hung woke up from his dream. He stood up and looked madly at Deep Ting. “What’s your problem?!” screamed Wai Hung as he stomped away. “I almost had it!” spoke Wai Hung to himself as he walked away.

Deep Ting stared at his back sadly and then at the daisies. “That stupid Tong Siu Lan!” said Deep Ting as she stomped on the daisies until they were all dead, and then stomping away.
    s.imple desires <-- click!

Hey no need for sorries.
    Just keep updating that's all, your story is really good so it's kinda hard to wait for the updates you know (and i am an impatient brat).
    Just keep up the good work you are dong.

Thanks for the update.

thanks spidey. glad that ur still reading =)

`

CHAPTER 20: A Story of the Past
    Characters:

Fong Ying Fung
    Tong Siu Lan - Leila Tong

`

That night, Ming Hei had a dream of Mr. Fong once again. The foggy area filled the spot once again.

“Mr. Fong, come out,” said Ming Hei as he wandered around the place as the fog entwined with his eyes, not disappearing, and forming tears in his eyes. Mr. Fong was no where to be seen. Ming Hei felt a gust of wind behind his back. He turned around, but there was nothing. He felt it again and turned again, he saw nothing still. “Mr. Fong, stop playing! Please come out!” shouted Ming Hei as he coughed on the fog, which seems more like smoke now.

Suddenly, Ming Hei felt fan whacking his back repeatedly. Grabbing the fan as the foggy smoke diminished, Ying Fung materialized before him. “Mr. Fong! Stop! What did I do?”

Ying Fung quickly pulled back his fan from his hands and fanned himself as if nothing has happened. As Ming Hei stared at him, wondering what was wrong. Ying Fung whacked him on the forehead once again when he was unaware and staring.

“Mr. Fong! What did I do wrong? Why are you hitting me?” asked Ming Hei.

“Who told you to marry Tong Siu Lan?!” queried Ying Fung madly as he tilted Ming Hei’s head up with his fan.

Ming Hei looked at him blankly, but soon, he said, “Why can’t I? I love her and she loves me. I don’t see anything wrong with that.”

“No! No! No! I’ve only been gone for a few days for a meeting in heaven and look at what you have done! You cannot marry Tong Siu Lan!”

“We are married already. Nothing can be done to turn back. Why do I have to listen to everything that heaven says? Can’t people choose their own futures and things that they want to do? Why do we always have to go by he rules of heaven?”

“You are married, but you can still divorce. Ming Hei, you are fated to remain alone for the rest of your life!”

“Why? Just because heaven said so?”

“Heaven said no and that is it. No excuses. Its rules are ment to be followed, and if you choose to oppose, it’s your close ones who ends up suffering with you. Besides, are you sure that your love with Siu Lan is as deep as your love with Mei Yin?”

“Siu Lan and Mei Yin both hold equal spots in my heart. Yes, I have gone through more with Mei Yin, but that does not mean that Siu Lan is less important. This was exactly what I asked you at first! Why are you contemplating your own words? Why do we always have to follow the rules of heaven? All the things you have told me are that I will have a hard life, but that does nothing for me but make me worry!”

“You are having such a hard life because you have the Ching Sum Kuet.”

“If I have the Ching Sum Kuet, doesn’t that mean I have more power? Then it should mean that I could change my life.”

Glancing around, as if to seek for eavesdroppers, Ying Fung then whispered, “The power of the Ching Sum Kuet is frightening, to both the mortals and the deities of heaven. The attitude that you just had is what heaven is afraid of. Making the life of the White Warrior tough and hard is the way for heaven to protect itself. This is a secret passed down though the gods themselves, and I am not supposed to tell. If they found out, I would be sent to the 18th level of hell.”

“Are you serious?” whispered Ming Hei back with slight cynicism. Ying Fung nodded. Angry about the words to his ears, Ming Hei shouted, “What the heck is wrong with heaven?! What on earth did my family do to make heaven treat us like that?! We never did anything wrong!”

“Shh!! Keep it down! Others might hear you!” whispered Ying Fung as he brought his hand to Ming Hei’s mouth.

“How?”

“I was sent to guide you and make sure that you were no threat. This foggy place you see every day is heaven. The foggy place you pass through everyday is the levels of clouds you need to get through to get here. Since you are almost out of heaven’s control, they need to make sure that you are fated as you are to be.”

“Why is heaven doing this to me and my family?”

“You must promise me to not tell anyone this,” whispered Ying Fung. Ming Hei nodded. “Well, it began with your grandfather’s generation. His name was Mok Yong. He was a martial artist who had two other senior brothers, Zhou Le and Ding Mo. Their master died one day and they all settled out on their own journeys and vowed to return to their Sifu’s place in five years to see each other again. During these five years, Zhou Le became a Buddhist monk. Ding Mo had to go back to his rich family and marry the woman whom he was arranged to marry. Your grandfather on the other hand, had no family, for he was an orphan. So he wandered around the world and soon met a woman whom he loved named Ching Ching. Five years later, they returned and Ding Mo fell in love instantly with Ching Ching and decided to take her away with him, for he did not love his current wife at all. All there is between them is a name of wife and husband. Since he was the older Si Hing, he was able to beat Mok Yong and stole Ching Ching away.

“Mok Yong was miserable, but that was until Zhou Le told him about a legend of a man named Kwan Song Hoi behind the mountains who acquired superior martial arts and weapon making techniques. That was where Mok Yong went. There, he was able to persuade Kwan Song Hoi to teach him martial arts and weapon making. That was where your grandfather attained the Ching Sum Kuet. Kwan Song Hoi was known to be a man of mystery, for he acquired the skills to build a house that is completely floating a few inches from the water, which were the foundations of the Ching Sum Kuet. As your father practiced this odd martial art, he had Ching Ching in his heart, for all he wanted was to gain her back from Ding Mo. As this love was in his heart, the Ching Sum Kuet was developed up to level 8 with the factor of love combining with the strange martial arts of Kwan Song Hoi.”

“Wait, what about level 9? And who is this Kwan Song Hoi?” interrupted Ming Hei.

“Let me finish first! Kwan Song Hoi was a regular man who just seemed to acquire these powerful powers,” said Ying Fung. “It was too powerful and when the heaven found out about it, it was too late. His powers are too powerful and must die, so an illness was cast upon him. During that period was when Mok Yong came and who would have known that he accepted him as a student and taught him everything? Mok Yong was even able to perfect the skills to a higher level! Even so, heaven can’t kill Mok Yong too just because of his powers and heaven didn’t know what to do until Mok Yong rescued Ching Ching back and Ding Mo cursed their whole family. The heaven took that as a chance and placed on that curse just to control the power of the Ching Sum Kuet so that it will not one day be destructible and harmful to heaven, for you know that it’s a neutral martial art, so it can be good or bad. If you use it the wrong way, destruction to the whole world can be caused. If you use it in the right way, the world can be brought to peace.”

“I don’t get it. How does making our family suffer control the Ching Sum Kuet? I don’t get it at all.”

“If you suffer, they know that you are under their control.”

“Then why can’t they just TAKE the Ching Sum Kuet away and stop all this drama?! It’s not fair and it doesn’t make sense! Why do you have to do this to me? What have I ever done wrong? If you said that heaven is that powerful, then why can’t they MAKE us just not use the Ching Sum Kuet to harm people?”

“Heaven is powerful, and it has the power to control every, except the Ching Sum Kuet. See what it ends up to? To control the Ching Sum Kuet, you’ll have to control the human who owns it, since it is human that the Ching Sum Kuet can’t control. It’s all a huge circle. Remember, do NOT ever tell anyone this, I warn you.”

“Then why can’t you just control me and MAKE me not use it to harm the world?” said Ming Hei.

“The holder of the Ching Sum Kuet is one of the few that heaven can not control fully, because of the powerful within your palms. That is why you were able to marry Siu Lan without me knowing. No matter what, the curse is on. I don’t know what heaven was thinking when they did this but this is their way of controlling you. The only way to break the curse is find the sons of Ding Mo and fix the relationship between the two families. Fixing the relationship with one of the brothers will be good enough, because the two are in controversy with each other right now, all because of your family.”

“Why are you blaming it on my family? How is it our fault? Is it our fault if THEIR father tried to steal MY grandfather’s wife? I don’t think so.”

“Whatever it is, it doesn’t matter anymore. The only way to break the curse is to find the brothers and fixed the relationship between your families. As of now, be aware of a goddess by the name of Hiu Lok (晓落), for she might bring you some trouble later on.”

“Hiu Lok? Who is she? The name seems familiar but I do not remember anything about her.”

Ying Fung stared at the sun which lied within the distant. “Time is getting late, you’ll have to leave,” said Ying Fung. Before Ming Hei could say anything, Ying Fung flicked his fan open and disappeared. The next thing that he knew was that he was awake and in his room.

Mning Hei scanned the room, spotting Siu Lan sound asleep besides him.

“Family curse? Why does heaven have to be so unfair? My family hasn’t even done anything! Why do they have to make us suffer like this? Suffering is for ones who have done wrong! A human like I can do nothing against heaven. Why do they think of me as such a threat? Why would I do such a thing? Who is this Hiu Lok?” though Ming Hei to himself. He leaned back onto his bed. “Am I really such a threat? What would I do though? One man cannot rule heaven no matter what, even if I am able to take over it. Heaven is making such a stupid decision to punish my family for nothing! Why are they trying to mess us my life? Is heaven blind?”

Well, Ming Hei knew that he can do nothing to prevent this so-called ‘curse.’ He does not understand why heaven made such a stupid step to ‘protect’ heaven, but he can do nothing if he does not have supporters. After all, he was just one man. When Ying Fung was talking, he never quite finished what he was saying about Siu Lan. Why couldn’t he marry her? He already did, why was he trying to make them divorce? Heaven couldn’t control him fully, so why couldn’t he marry Siu Lan? They already were and there was nothing that they could do to prevent their happy marriage.

Ming Hei stared at the sleeping beauty besides him; her face appeared so innocent and so gorgeous. He couldn’t resist but to poke her cheeks. She didn’t move. Ming Hei poked them again and laughed at the buoyancy of them. Retiring himself, Ming Hei went back to sleep as if nothing has happened. He hopes that nothing will happen. Fong Ying Fung had said that heaven couldn’t control him fully.

“Ming Hei, wake up,” said Siu Lan as she gently shook his shoulders. Ming Hei turned over and slowly opened his eyes.

“Hmm?” asked Ming Hei sleepily.

Siu Lan smiled. “Look at you! You seen like you were awake the whole night,” said Siu Lan as she touched his face gently.

“It’s still too early,” said Ming Hei as he looked outside and rubbed his eyes. The sun did not present a single hint of its arrival anytime soon.

“Too early for you, but I have to get up and pick flowers from the mountains with mother,” said Siu Lan.

“Am I supposed to go with you?” Ming Hei yawned.

“No, but you are on my feet! I can’t gt up,” said Siu Lan as she laughed.

“Oh!” exclaimed Ming Hei as quickly pulled his feet away.

“See you later,” said Siu Lan as she kissed him on the cheeks. Ming Hei smiled and went back to sleep as Siu Lan left with her mother.

Nothing can go wrong. What can possibly go wrong? thought Ming Hei as he attempted to sleep.

I still am reading and wil do so in the future too, it was just that before i preferred to be a silent reader. But seeing Suet Sueng's poll recently made me realize that authors do need some appreciation and encouragement so i thought why not try it.

BTW thanks for the update, although i felt that it was a short chapter but anyting is better than nothing.

I have a bad feeling that something bad is going to happen pls don't do anyting to Sui Lan, she seems so naive and innocent and very adorable.

the appreciationa nd encouragement is a real motivation. glad to see you comment. =) yeah.. that chapter was somewhat short.. i didn't know how to break it off with it not in the middle of some random event. =) but here's an update. as for siu lan... you'll see. ^.^

`

CHAPTER 21: The Ending of Peace

Characters:
    Tong Yi Ting

`

A few peaceful months went by; it’s almost the end of summer with Siu Lan already twenty and Ming Hei twenty-two. During this time frame, Wai Hung would continuously ask for Siu Lan to help him tend or plant flowers in his yard for a small fee. Each of these attempts, he tried to talk to her, and gradually their conversations grew longer. As time went on, Siu Lan realized that he wasn’t that arrogant and classy as she used to think he was, but a man with the energetic and carefree personality that Ming Hei once had. The only thing that differed was how they grew up, with his family’s wealth structuring him into that arrogant and classy son whom Siu Lan despised. Money could really change someone, but money could not buy everything. Without money upon Wai Hung’s shell, he was just a normal person. Therefore, she gave him that chance to befriend her, but once she didn’t notice was that he was falling for her, and he was falling deeper and deeper every second that went by. The more she was comfortable talking to him, the more he believed that she liked him back, for he has never had this feeling towards someone like this before, yet, he does not know the truth about her martial status.

As Siu Lan and Wai Hung talked almost daily, Deep Ting tends to hid behind the door, listening in to their conversations. Her anger augmented severely each and every time she hears Wai Hung praise her. There was nothing she could do, for all the attempts she made, she had failed, like the last time she attempted to scare Siu Lan away with the men in black who were beaten to death by her mother’s hands. The anger in the heart was on the verge to thrust towards her and take her life, yet, something within her held her back; it was the piece of her that belonged to Wai Hung, the piece which she does not want to crackle when she sees him sad.

On the other hand, Ming Hei has fully grasped the Extreme Sudden he’s capable of reaching. His martial art has improved to what that seemed like the utmost point of the Ching Sum Kuet’s ninth level, a point where the first four levels of the Extreme Sudden guided him to, a point where his father has never reached. Ming Hei could be described as unstoppable, with only one restrain, a restrain that would take him completely back—love. If what Fong Ying Fung said was accurate, this huge step made would surely frighten the deities of heaven even more. Some action must be taken to slow him down.

One day in his hot and exhausting summer, Ming Hei wandered in the bamboo forest. Can one see him? No. The Extreme Sudden allowed him to seem invisible as he moved swiftly and quickly to the naked eye. He hopped from tree to tree at a swift pace with the trees only moving the slightest bit, so only the utmost martial artists could tell. Only a breeze of wind was felt upon his path. He reached his arm out and wrapped it around a tree as he made his turn and head back to where he started. He landed on the ground securely and stared at the land before him; it was the river where Siu Lan, Yeung Sung, Mei Yin, and him use to hang out. The image of him and Mei Yin paddling a boat on the river raced through his mind. They were paddling happily when Mei Yin dropped her handkerchief into the river. Ming Hei got it out for her, but accidentally knocked her into the river. Quickly jumping in, he rescued her.

He laughed to himself as he recalled the past.

“Mei Yin, where are you right now?” pondered Ming Hei. He sat down on the grass and played a peaceful tune on his flute as he recollected his memories. The fun times he used to have when he was still a nonage child would never return.

As he played, two little boys at the age of 6 came running over as they laughed happily and played catch with a ball. One little kid threw the ball towards the other, but missed and accidentally hit Ming Hei right on the back. Picking up the ball, Ming Hei walked over to the innocent and angelic faces.

“Is this yours?” he asked.

“Thank you,” said the little kid as he took the ball.

The other boy over and said, “Do you live in Luo Yang? How come I have never seen you before?”

“A few years ago I did, but not anymore. You were probably still a little baby when I was there,” answerd Ming Hei.

“Son! Where are you?” called a woman’s voice from behind.

“Mother!” greeted one child as the two ran towards the approaching woman. Seeing someone who he might have seen before, Ming Hei instantly jumped off to a tree.

“There you two are! Where have you been?” said the mother as she wiped the sweat off their head.

“Brother threw the ball at me but I missed. So this man—Hey, where did he go?” wondered the boy as he looked around.

“Okay. Let’s go home how,” said the mother.

“There really was a man there!” said the little boy.

“I believe you, come on you two,” said the mother as she dragged them away. The two little kids kept on looking back; they knew that there was someone. They looked up into the tree and saw Ming Hei, who waved goodbye to them. The little kids smiled and waved back. Their mothers turned around to see who was there, but by the time she did, he was gone. She glanced back and forth as her two children who borne an “I told you” smile on their face. Afraid of whatever they’ve encountered, she quickly pulled them on the way.

Ming Hei jumped down and laughed at their innocence. Their mother might have thought that they have seen a ghost or some kind of demon.

In the city of Luo Yang, Wai Hung came along Yi Ting and Siu Lan’s stall once again.

“Siu Lan!” greeted Wai Hung.

“Can I help you with anything?” asked Siu Lan with a friendly smile, a smile that would never be on her face if her impression was the same as the one a few months ago.

“Would you care to drop everything and have some fun with me today? The weather is so nice and the air is so refreshing; it’s perfect for a stroll around nature.”

“Umm, I have to help my mother work,” answered Siu Lan with slight skepticism, for all she usually does if help him with his garden. Spending a day with anyone besides Ming Hei, Yeung Sung, and Mei Yin was far beyond the limits of her mother.

Yi Ting smiled when she saw her contemplation and added, “Siu Lan, you’ve been working hard. Why don’t you take a break? Just come back within a few hours before I leave the city. Okay?”

“Umm, okay,” said Siu Lan. She didn’t really want to, but seeing his eagerness, she couldn’t actually reject his offer. Then, they walked away. It was easily seen that Wai Hung had feeling for her, yet, the only one who held a position in Siu Lan’s heart was Ming Hei, and only Ming Hei.

Following Wai Hung’s heave, they were soon out of the city and into the bamboo forest.

“Wai Hung, where are we going?” asked Siu Lan. She was getting scared, for she knew that Ming Hei was in the exact forest practicing his martial arts today. She wasn’t scared that Wai Hung will see Ming Hei, because he couldn’t with his swiftness. She was scared that Ming Hei would see them together. With his reaction to the incident last year, she was afraid that he’ll misapprehend and jump to conclusion without allowing anyone to explain. With Ming Hei’s short temper span and power, Wai Hung would surely die within a few attacks.

“Stand right there,” said Wai Hung as he took a few more steps forward.

“What are you doing?” asked Siu Lan.

“Watch,” said Wai Hung. He went behind a tree and clapped his hands twice. Right then, a beautiful and gentle tune of at least 20 flutes dispersed through the area as baskets of flower petals fluttered down slowly and gently all the two. Siu Lan’s gaped at the wonderful and miraculous sight before her eyes. Her eyes widened with interest and her mouth opened with awe. Slowly, the 20 flute players dressed elegantly in ruby red marched out in unison and formed a circle around Siu Lan and Wai Hung as they continued to play.

Wai Hung walked up to Siu Lan and asked, “Do you like this?”

“This is absolutely beautiful. Is today your birthday or something?” said Siu Lan as she admire the scene surrounding them.

“No.”

“Really? What is this for then?

“It’s for you,” said Wai Hung.

“Me?”

“It’s for you and just you. No one else.”

“Why?” asked Siu Lan. Her innocence prevented her from realizing what he’s trying to say without saying it to her directly, but it was her innocence that he likes. Wai Hung motioned his hands signaling the 20 flute players to stop playing and depart.

Upon their departure, he said her name, “Siu Lan.” He gasped as nervousness trembled his veins. Her eyes were stared at him with innocence. “I love you.”

Siu Lan’s mouth dropped open the instance she heard these three words. “Wai Hung—I—I,” stuttered Siu Lan. She didn’t know what she could say. She yelled at her self within to not be able to figure this out earlier.

“Siu Lan. I fell in love with you the first time I saw you,” continued Wai Hung.

“Wai Hung, I’m—I’m sorry,” apologized Siu Lan.

“What do you mean? Siu Lan, I know that you love me back. If you don’t, why do our conversations flowed with such elegancy all the time?” He grasped her wrists tightly.

“Wai Hung, let go first,” said Siu Lan as she struggled free.

“Siu Lan, don’t lie to yourself.” He wouldn’t let go.

“No. I’m not lying. You must have mistaken. I think of you as a friend, and nothing more. At first, I really disliked you because you seemed to be those people who boss people around just because your family has money, but as time went by, I realized that you weren’t like that and that we might be able to be friends. Now, we are friends, but not the lover kind. I already have someone else in my heart.”

“Siu Lan, this is not true. You know you are lying!”

“I’m sorry Wai Hung. Please, please let go.”

Wai Hung stared at her with an empty and heartbroken face. A teardrop trickled down his face. “No! I will not let go! Siu Lan, I really do love you,” said Wai Hung as he wrapped his arms around her.

“Let go! Let go of me!” yelled Siu Lan as she struggled. She tried to push him away, but he wrapped her very hard and her strength was not that great. Tears dropped down her cheeks as Wai Hung embraced her tightly. She then started crying. Wai Hung didn’t see to notice this as he trapped himself within his own imagination. He felt his tears against his cheeks Right there, he loosened his grip. At once, she pushed him away forcefully with all her strength as she stomped onto his foot hardly, causing Wai Hung to let go.

She stared at him with revulsion as tears trickled down her face. She slapped him across the face and ran away. Wai Hung stared upon her mist as she ran away and smiled to himself.

Entering the city, tears continued to trickle down Siu Lan’s face. Seeing her tearing up from the distant, Yi Ting ran over to her daughter and walked with her to their flower stall.

“Honey, what’s the problem?” said Yi Ting as she wiped Siu Lan’s tears away. “There is no reason to cry. Ming Hei will not be happy to see your face like this. What happened?” Yi Ting stroke her daughter’s hair.

Then, Siu Lan told her all that has happened. Yi Ting was furious at Wai Hung’s actions, but she knows that Ming Hei must never find out about this, for he would become even more furious. Yet, they feared informing the government about this, for they are not only jeopardizing their lives, but also Ming Hei’s identity and the Ching Sum Kuet’s reappearance. Therefore, they decided to take the rest of the day off.

As they traveled home, Wai Hung stepped upon the path as he returned back into the city.

“Siu Lan!” greeted Wai Hung the same way he always dos as if nothing has happened. Siu Lan quickly backed up behind her mother as Yi Ting gave him a defiant stare.

“How dare you come to us like this! Do you even have enough face to talk to us?” yelled Yi Ting.

“What’s wrong Tong Ma?” asked Wai Hung ever so harmlessly.

“Shut up! There are only a few people in this world who can call me Tong Ma, and you are not one of them. Get out of my sight before I make you regret,” bellowed Yi Ting.

“I just want to speak a few words with Siu Lan,” said Wai Hung as he approached them incautiously. As he approached, Yi Ting grabbed him by the wrist and twisted it behind his back and pressed him down. Her motions were too fast for Wai Hung to notice what was going on. By the time he realized it, he was held down. Yi Ting then shoved him away.

“Don’t let me see your face ever again!” roared Yi Ting. “Siu Lan, let’s go.”

As Yi Ting and Siu Lan walked off, Wai Ying struggled to get up, surprised that Yi Ting knew martial arts.

As they were about to walk into their house, Yi Ting felt small gusts of wind besides. She knew that Ming Hei was besides him and preparing to scare Siu Lan. She smiled to herself and waited for his attack.

“Wha!” screamed Ming Hei as he suddenly appeared behind her.

“Ah!” shrieked Siu Lan. Turning around and seeing his pleased smile, she stared madly at him. Seeing her odd expression, he stared at her innocently. Siu Lan just couldn’t get mad at him. “You did it again!” said Siu Lan as she poked him in the chest lightly.

“And it worked again,” added Ming Hei as he hugged her.

Siu Lan just poked Ming Hei one more time before Ming Hei placed his arm across her shoulders and said, “Come on, let’s go inside.” Siu Lan nodded with a smile on her face a they headed indoors.

She seemed to have forgotten about Wai Hung as she spent the rest of the day with Ming Hei. Seeing that the cure to her problems worked, Yi Ting felt a lot better. That night when they had dinner, Ming Hei seemed to have a special request.

“Tong Ma, I’ve been practicing the ‘Extreme Sudden’ for a few years now, do you believe that my martial arts has improved a lot?” asked Ming Hei.

“What kind of question is that? It indeed has, and I’m sure that you’ve noticed it too. Ming Hei, you should be very proud of yourself. Your father and mother will also be,” said Yi Ting.

“Father has asked me to bring fame to our family’s name, and I hope that I have not failed him. Do you think that there are chances for more dramatic improvement?”

“There is never an end to learning and improving, but if you are thinking about not practicing, you will surely take if not a few, but many steps backward.”

“I wasn’t thinking about quitting! I was just wondering… umm… I haven’t been to Luo Yang ever since I was 19. Can I take a break for tomorrow and visit the city once?” asked Ming Hei with scintillating eyes. Yi Ting and Siu Lan glanced back and forth as they contemplate. “Don’t worry! You can dress me up like you did for the time when Siu Lan and I go to gather the silver orchids. I’ll be a farmer from another village again!”

“Well…” started Yi Ting as she thought about it.

“Mother, Ming Hei has been practicing so long,” added Siu Lan.

“Please Tong Ma?” begged Ming Hei. “I’ll beg you.” Yi Ting still seemed unsure about the idea. “I’ll pray to you then!” Ming Hei instantly dropped down on his knees.

“Ming Hei! What are you doing?! Stop playing and get back on your feet!” shouted Yi Ting as she pulled him up.

“Is that a yes then?” asked Ming Hei with hopefull eyes.

“Well, fine. Just one day though!” said Yi Ting.

“Thank you Tong Ma!” said Ming Hei happily as he went back to eating.
    Last edited by kaiyi; 07-26-07 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks kaiyi.

I really was wondering what was was Ming Hei doing stuck up so long in the house while his wife worked(don't get me wrong it's just that i would'nt let such a fragile and innocent girl like Siu Lan work, of course he was practicing his martial arts and they need living).Finally though he is out, only for one day though but i think something big will happen but please don't let anyting happen to Siu Lan, she's my favourite character so far.

Thanks kaiyi.

I really was wondering what was was Ming Hei doing stuck up so long in the house while his wife worked(don't get me wrong it's just that i would'nt let such a fragile and innocent girl like Siu Lan work, of course he was practicing his martial arts and they need living).Finally though he is out, only for one day though but i think something big will happen but please don't let anyting happen to Siu Lan, she's my favourite character so far.

And Uh hmmm pls do put some romantic scenes between Siu Lan and Ming Hei, if you can though, i really miss their chemistry it seems dead after their marriage.(i am a romantic you know)

siu lan isn't really fragile though. she only looks like it. =) plus she's with her mother, and under yi ting's strict instructions, ming hei had to stay undercovered for this time. and sweet scenes will come soon. =D

`

CHAPTER 22: A Change in the City

Characters:
    Tong Yi Ting
    `

The next morning, Ming Hei went under the same transformation, from the scholarly and charismatic White Warrior to a handsome farmer’s guardian who borne a sword upon his back.

Ming Hei stared into the mirror, at his completely transformed self. “Thank you, Tong Ma.”

“Now, before we go to the city, you must promise me a few things,” informed Yi Ting.

“As long as I’m able to go, I can promise you a million things.”

“First, do not cause trouble. Second, do not address anyone by their name until they’ve introduced themselves, for you are not Mok Ming Hei, you are Ah Hei again. When people ask you, just say that you are my nephew from a nearby village. Understand?”

“Yes Tong Ma.”

“Okay, let’s go then.”

“Let’s go!” chanted Ming Hei happily as he pushed Siu Lan out the door with him.

“One last thing. None of this with Siu Lan when you are in the city,” said Yi Ting as she pointed to their contact. Ming Hei quickly pulled his hands away and bit down onto his lips as he nodded ever so naively as he glanced around the room as if nothing happened.

As they headed for the city, Siu Lan helped her mother pushed the flower cart down the way as Ming Hei jumped from tree to tree akin to a little monkey, like he used to do. On the top of the tallest tree, he observed Luo Yang, the city which he hasn’t step foot in for a time span that seemed like forever, the city his childhood entangled with.

“Luo Yang, here I come!” announced Ming Hei as he jumped back onto the ground and happily skipped around Yi Ting and Siu Lan.

“Ming Hei, be careful. You can hurt yourself,” worried Siu Lan.

“He’ll be fine. It isn’t too late to worry about this monkey until he falls and hurts himself,” teased Yi Ting.

“You really want me to fall don’t you?” teased Ming Hei as jumped aside Yi Ting and started walking normally. Yi Ting smiled, and they continued their way into the city.

Once they reached the city gates, Ming Hei fingered the walls carefully and tenderly, allowing memories of the past to blemish his mind. As they entered, he examined every single stall and shop punctiliously. Everything was almost the same as it was before; hardly anything has changed.

“Don’t wander off too far or too long okay? Come back an hour before sunset. Understand?” said Yi Ting once they settled their stand.

“Yes Tong Ma,” agreed Ming Hei quickly.

After being handed a small sum of money, Ming Hei eagerly headed off to explore and remember.

Ming Hei pounced down the streets as if he was a tourist. He examined everything at every stall with care. Each and every stall brought back many memories into his mind.

“Almond cookies!!! Almond cookies!!!” yelled a vendor down the street. Surprisingly, it’s the same man whom Ming Hei always buys from, ever since he was a child. It’s been a long time since he’s eaten any almond cookies at all. Right then, he remembered of how he used almond cookies to help Mei Yin walk straight and gracefully. He chuckled to himself as he walked over to the stall.

“Five almond cookies please,” said Ming Hei as he took out some money.

“That will be two coins please,” said the vendor as he gave the cookies to Ming Hei. Staring at his handsome little face, he asked, “Have I seen you before? You look very familiar.”

“Me? I do not recall seeing you before. People may be similar, and face may also. It’s not surprising for two to have some aspects of their appearance to be similar to others,” said Ming Hei cleverly as he smiled to the man.

“Maybe,” said the vendor as he pondered about the doings of Ming Hei, the silly child that always makes his day a few years ago.

“Thank you,” said Ming Hei as he walked away.

“He walks just like him…” murmured the vendor. Right there, the tragedy of the Mok family was remembered, and he couldn’t help it but allowed a tear of pity roll down his eyes.

As Ming Hei wandered around with his cookies, he stepped upon the piece of land where his family’s medicine shop used to be. He went up to one side of the wall. Right there on the wooden post, the characters ‘Yuen Ming Hei’, which he carved with his mother at age five, was still there. The writing was neither pretty nor perfect, but memories of his parents skied through his mind as he stroked the signature. This place was jewelry shop now, but within the hearts of the Yang Zhou citizens, it will always remain as a dwelling of the Mok family’s business. Deciding to buy Siu Lan a small present, Ming Hei walked in.

“May I help you sir?” asked a young man about his age.

“Yes. Do you have any hair ornaments?” said Ming Hei.

“Yes I do. Come this way please.” The man then led him to the other side of the store. “What kind of design are you looking for?”

“Hmm, do you have any with butterflies on it?” He knew that Siu Lan liked them.

The man took out a chest from the shelf and 20 beautifully crafted hair ornaments released its illuminating shine.

Examining the beautiful hair ornaments, Ming Hei picked out a silver one with a few pearls upon it. “I’ll take this one.”

“Very good choice. This will be 20 coins.”

Ming Hei handed him the money and said, “Please wrap it nicely for me.”

“I’ll gladly do so. Is this gift for the girl whom you like?” wondered the man with a slick smile as he wrapped it.

“Yes, it’s for my wife,” answered Ming Hei with a tender smile.

“I believe you’re wife will love this gift very much,” said the man as he handed Ming Hei the wrapped gift.

“Thank you.” Ming Hei then took the gift and walked out the door—reminiscing the sound of every footstep, the sound of ever move.

Hiding the gift in his waistband, he continued to walk wherever his instinct brought him. Upon finishing his almond cookies, he stepped foot upon the Sima residents. The big X formed by yellow paper was still on their door. It seemed like no one has moved it yet

Ming Hei walked over and touched the wall. “Mei Yin, where could you be right now? Are you reincarnated already?”

Pressing his face against the door, he remembered the scenes with Mei Yin, one after another—the death of Duen Shun, their attempt to escape together, their lilac. Keeping these thoughts on mind, he continued his journey, and soon stood before the He Residents. Everything was the same, but the only difference was that the sign on the door was now labeled as the Mung Residences.

“Mung Wai Hung and Hong Deep Ting—so this is where they live,” mumbled Ming Hei to himself. Seeing that the front doors were open, he glanced into the room as he walked across it, seeing a few servants packing some red trunks onto n elegant cart. There was another young man dressed in a classy manner directly them. “That must be Mung Wai Hung,” Ming Hei mumbled as he journeyed on, wishing to not interfere with anything.

Seeing that noon was about to come upon them, Ming Hei headed back to Siu Lan and Yi Ting. From the distance, he could see Siu Lan’s concentration as she arranged the flowers.

“Can I have two orchids please?” asked Ming Hei as he stood before Siu Lan.

“Right away,” answered Siu Lan as she looked up. Seeing that it was Ming Hei, she released a sweet smile and poked him in the chest. “Playing with me?”

“Can’t I?” teased Ming hei as he smiled sweetly back in return.

“Siu Lan, Ah Hei,” warned Yi Ting softly but seriously. They shouldn’t be seen with any close contact like this in public, for they were not husband and wife out here. Remembering this, Siu Lan and Ming Hei quickly took a step back from each other.

“Oh yeah, I got you something,” said Ming Hei as he pulled a nicely wrapped present from his waistband and handed it to Siu Lan.

“What is it?” wondered Siu Lan with curiosity as she opened it. Her eyes widened with glee when she saw the beautiful butterfly designed silver hair ornament with pretty pearls on it before her eyes. “This is so beautiful! Thank you so much!” As she was about to lean over and give him a big hug, she remembered what her mother has said. “I’ll give you a bug hug later when we get home,” said Siu Lan.

“I’m fine with that. So you like it?” asked Ming Hei.

“Very much,” said Siu Lan as she positioned it into her hair.

“You look beautiful,” complimented Ming Hei as he admired her beauty. He wanted to touch her face, but out here was not the best place to do so. Siu Lan smiled shyly. “By the way, I walked by the Mung residents today. Is their family business like delivery? They were like packing things into carts.”

“They are the cousins of General Chan. Why would they even need to do anything in order to earn a living?”

“True, then I don’t know what they were doing.”

“Ah Hei, you are back so early. You are done exploring the city so fast?” interfered Yi Ting.

“No, not that fast! Luo Yang is so big! How can anyone be finished exploring within a few hours? I was—I was—hungry,” said Ming Hei.

Yi Ting smiled and suggested, “Why didn’t you go and buy something to eat then?”

“Well, I was wondering if you guys were hungry too. Maybe we can go eat together at a stall or something,” wondered Ming Hei.

“Ming Hei, eating at a stall for us everyday would be too expensive. Mother and I usually bring our own lunch,” added Siu Lan.

“Oh, really?” Ming Hei wandered his eyes around dumbfounded.

“We have some buns with us for lunch today. If you would like some, you can stay and eat some with us. Or else you can go and get some noodles or something from a nearby stall,” Yi Ting took out some buns.

“Hmm, I’ll go get some noodles. I haven’t tasted the noodles of Luo Yang for so long!” Ming Hei then turned around and walked off. Yi Ting smiled and shook her head at his never growing attitude and handed Siu Lan a bun.

As they ate, Wai Hung strided down the street as the carts Ming hei saw earlier followed closely behind.

“Siu Lan,” said Wai Hung softly as he walked up to her. Upon hearing his voice, Siu Lan choked on her bread.

“What are you here for?” demanded Yi Ting as she pushed Siu Lan behind her and glared at him.

“Don’t mistake anything, Mrs. Tong! I came to—umm—I don’t know how to begin,” said Wai Hung as released a corny smiled and killed his own handsome face.

“Get that ridiculous smile off our face please and state what you came here for,” demanded Yi Ting.

“I wanted to—” started Wai Hung. He took a deep breathe and loudly proclaimed. “I want to ask Siu Lan to marry me.”

Siu Lan and Yi Ting’s mouths dropped instantly. His loud declaration stopped the paths of many citizens, who gathered around and watched.

“You WHAT?!” screamed Yi Ting with displeasure.

“I want to marry your daughter,” repeated Wai Hung with a cocky smile. More and more people crowded around the tree. Seeng the attention he was grabbing, Wai Hung pleasurably continued, “Mrs. Tong, I fell in love with Siu Lan the first time I saw her and I know that she loves me too. With all these people around, I wish for you all to witness this moment.”

“Wai Hung, I thought that I told you clearly already, I do not like you!” shouted Siu Lan.

“Siu Lan, stop denying! I know that you do. Our marriage is planned by heaven! Especially because of what happened yesterday—”

“Don’t you DARE mention yesterday. Get out of here NOW!” screamed Yi Ting and ignoring the crowd.

Ming Hei was just eating noodles at stall near their flower stall when he heard all the commotion. He turned his head and noticed a bunch of people circling around Siu Lan and Yi Ting. Seeing this, he quickly finished his bowl of noodles, paid, and rushed to the scene. Pushing his way through the crows, he stood besides Yi Ting and Siu Lan.

“What’s happening?” asked Ming Hei as he glared fiercely into Wai Hung. The secret couldn’t be held any longer.

“Who are you? This has nothing to do with you. Go away!” shouted Wai Hung as he pointed his finger into his face.

“Who is this?” questioned Ming Hei to Siu Lan.

“Mung Wai Hung,” replied Siu Lan softly.

“Mung Wai Hung, I see that you are no better than He Git,” muttered Ming Hei portentously as he walked up to him and pushed away his finger.

“Don’t insult my cousin like that in front of me! People who do not relate to this matter please step away!”

“I’m Siu Lan’s cousin. People know me as Ah Hei. I’m part of their family and I do no see how this does not relate to me if this is my family’s matter”

“I’m sorry but this still has nothing to do with you. This only deals with Siu Lan and her mother. Please step aside. I do not believe that my proposal to Siu Lan is anything of your business.”

Ming Hei’s eyes widened with a tint confusion, shock, and sadness as he glanced at his wife

“There is no such thing!” shouted Siu Lan. “I—I will never marry you. Sto—Stop it!”

“Do you hear that? Siu Lan does not want to see you!” bellowed Ming Hei with power.

“Who do you think you are? This has nothing to do with you! Get out before I beat you up!” threatened Wai Hung as he walked up to Ming Hei with a fist ready to punch him in the face.

Ming Hei looked at him as he shook his head disappointedly. “Siu Lan already told you that she doesn’t like you. Why do you keep bothering her like this?”

“Shut up at the instance or else!” said Wai Hung as he unsheathed his sword.

“Who’s afraid of you?” shouted Ming Hei as he unsheathed his own sword. The crowd backed up, with some dispersing as they saw the approaching battle. Yi Ting instantly jumped before Ming Hei and knocked his sword onto the ground. The crowd stared with disbelief, for they had never known that Tong Yi Ting, a regular woman in the city that sells flowers for a living, knows martial arts.

CHAPTER 23: The Unsettled Heart

Characters:
    Tong Yi Ting
    Hong Deep Ting - Myolie Wu

`

“Ming Hei, think before you act. Remember how you are supposed to protect your family’s martial arts. Getting it out to the world was not your father’s idea of fame,” whispered Yi Ting. Though he truly wanted to teach this man a lesson, Ming Hei knew what was important. Unclenching his fist, he bent down for his sword, and sheathed it.

“What are you? A chicken? Are you afraid to challenge me? I knew that a little farmer boy like you would not be brave enough. You may be Siu Lan’s cousin, but you can’t stop our love! You may like her too but I’m the only one whom she likes!” ranted Wai Hung.

“Siu Lan, let’s go. We’ll just close the stall early today,” said Ming Hei, ignoring his harsh words of speech. Siu Lan agreed and the three started to clean up their things

“Siu Lan, why are you still denying to yourself? Didn’t you feel anything in the forest yesterday?” said Wai Hung. The crowd gasped in awe. What was it that happened yesterday?

Ming Hei felt his heart crushed into a million irreparable pieces. These words just couldn’t be ignored. The confused and despairing stare he gave to Siu Lan was indescribable. “Siu Lan, what is he talking about?” asked Ming Hei, hoping that he was just imagining things.

“Siu Lan, I know you have feelings for me. I felt it with that contact!” continued Wai Hung.

“Shut up!” demanded Yi Ting

“Siu Lan, what happened?” questioned Ming Hei with concern as she grasped onto her shoulders.

“No—nothing, really! It was just a hug!” convinced Siu Lan.

“Stop bothering her!” screamed Wai Hung as he tried to pull his hands off of her. Quickly turning his head, Ming Hei released a defiant stare into his eyes. Then at the speed of light, he knocked his hand off and palmed him in the chest, then unsheathed his sword and directed it towards Wai Hung. He was too fast; Yi Ting didn’t have enough time to stop him. Seeing him approaching, Wai Hung quickly gathered himself and unsheathed his own sword and blocked the ferocious and demanding attacks of Ming Hei. Though this was just regular sword techniques at the Ching Sum Kuet’s sixth level, he was still swift and demanding. Wai Hung could hardly see his sword’s movements when fully concentrating. Soon, he couldn’t see it at all. With one strike, Ming Hei cracked Wai Hung’s sword in two and kicked him onto the ground as his sword clangored besides him. Then, he backed up before Siu Lan and Yi Ting.

“Don’t let me see you again!” bellowed Ming Hei forcefully as Wai Hung’s servants helped him stand.

“You mean don’t let ME see you ever again!” added Wai Hung. “Who are you?”

“I’m her husband,” mumbled Ming Hei. Hearing this, the whole crowd gasped, questions diffused through the crowd.

Wai Hung let out a small laughter. “You think you can fool me?”

“Wai Hung, he is the only one I love. You are only fooling yourself,” added Siu Lan softly as she returned to packing.

Wai Hung was heartbroken upon her words. He watched unemotionally as they walked out of the city, for he couldn’t react. “Siu Lan, I will not let go this easily. There will be one day where you’ll return.”

As they left, questions encircled the mind of the villagers. Who was that man? When did Siu Lan get married? How come they never knew that Yi Ting knew martial arts? What else didn’t they know? All who cared for the Tong family pondered continuously, hoping to receive a clear answer tomorrow morning when they return to the city, if they do.

As they walked home, silence saturated the distance. Though Ming Hei didn’t seem mad, Yi Ting and Siu Lan knew the thorn was still in his heart from his silence and expressionless face. He wasn’t bouncing around, he carried no smile, he seemed normal, and for him, that was unnatural.

Upon reaching home, the three sat around the dinner table as dead silence enclosed upon them. “Can someone tell me what is happening?” Ming Hei finally said with concern as he looked into their eyes.

Siu Lan took a deep breathe and told him everything, starting with the day where Wai Hung told her to plant flowers for him in the garden up to what has happened today. As she spoke, her heart pounded faster and faster, afraid that he’d be angry. However, this was not the case; he was worried.

Ming Hei and grasped Siu Lan’s hand with concern. “Why didn’t you tell me all this before?” he asked softly.

“I thought that you would be mad,” replied Siu Lan gently, touched by his mellow voice.

“Why would I be? All I will be is concerned. He’s been bothering you all this time, how could you handle it?”

“I didn’t want you to worry for me. I hate seeing you sad. I feel like my heart has been taken away and will never return.”

“Siu Lan, promise me. Promise me that you will tell me everything from now on. What can’t we tell each other?”

Siu Lan stared into his loving eyes and nodded. Ming Hei stared back at her charmingly and kissed her on the forehead with concern and love. He touched her cheeks and brushed away her tear.

“Mung Wai Hung will surely come back soon and bother you again. I can’t stand his arrogant! Just because he’s an upper class, it doesn’t mean that the whole world will fall in love with him,” said Ming Hei as he stood up and walked around the table, fanning himself with his fan.

“Though he knows some kind of superior martial arts, it is surely no match for the Flying Dragon Sect’s. Mother will protect me.”

“But I’ll be worried. How about this. Tong Ma, is it okay if I accompany you guys daily? I won’t do anything, but as long as I see Siu Lan fine, I’m okay.”

“But—” started Siu Lan.

“He’s right Siu Lan. Who knows what that crazy man can do? Ming Hei will just be around. Even if I tell him no, you don’t think that he’ll sneak into the city anyhow? Besides, the village will surely have questions for us tomorrow, especially since Ming Hei whispered that he’s your husband,” interrupted Yi Ting.

“Yes mother,” said Siu Lan.

“If that is what you are going to do, you need to think before you act. Ming Hei, you must not be as reckless as you were today. Yes, it was a sudden shock, but you will have to learn how to handle things like these. You did improve, but the fist is not the best way to solve issues. Understand?” spoke Yi Ting.

“Yes Tong Ma,” said Ming Hei.

“Good.” Tong Ma then walked out of the room.

“Ming Hei, I’m sorry,” apologized Siu Lan.

“Silly pig, what are you sorry for? You didn’t do anything wrong,” whispered Ming Hei as he gently brushed aside the hair before her face and smiled.

“I should have told you everything in the first place.”

“It doesn’t matter now, because I know that there won’t be a next time.” He leaned forward and gave her a kiss on the forehead once again, bringing that sweet and tender feeling to flood her body. She saw the concern in his eyes and regretted not telling him anything till now.

Grasping his hand and leaning towards his ear, she whispered, “I promise, I will tell you everything from now on.”

“Of course,” Ming Hei whispered back. There eyes were trapped within each other’s. There faces were just a mere inch apart. They leaned closer, bumping their foreheads, closed their eyes, and kissed each other on the lips. The feeling was endearing and everlasting. Nothing could interrupt, and nothing could break their bond. They were hiding from each other because they were worried about each other, yet, the revelation of the truth seemed to be the best of it all.

Back in the city, the story about what happened in the market quickly spread and became the topic of all his servants. He’s always been the one whom his servants loved serving, but his act today was a total disappointment for them.

As three of their servants worked in the kitchen, the topic of their conversation was just that. Once they saw Deep Ting’s approach, they quickly zipped their mouths.

Upon her entrance, Deep Ting walked around, glaring at each individual with animosity. “Is Siu Yeh’s bird nest soup ready?” she questioned.

“Yes it is,” answered the servant as she took it out and placed it on a holder.

“I’ll carry it out,” said Deep Ting as she grabbed the holder and walked out the door. The servants shook their heads with dismay and returned to their work.

Wai Hung was seated outside his room, thinking about the incident over and over again. He stared into the empty sky, deeply in thought.

“Wai Hung,” sounded Deep Ting as she smiled and walked over, placing the bird nest soup onto the table. Wai Hung glanced at who it may be besides him. Sighting that it was Deep Ting, he quickly turned his head away and into the sky once again.

“What’s wrong?” asked Deep Ting as she placed her hand on Wai Hung’s forehead. He quickly shifted his head and ignored her. She tempted to feel his forehead again to see if he’s okay, but he instantly stood up and frowned angrily into her confused pair of eyes with anger.

“What’s your problem?! Why do you have to care that much about me?! Can’t you just get out of my sight for once?!” screamed Wai Hung.

Deep Ting kept that confused stare into Wai Hung’s fierce face as a teardrop rolled down her face. “I was only worried about you. Ever since you came home today from your attempt to propose to that country girl, you are sad and miserable,” she sobbed.

“I don’t need you to worry about me!” bawled Wai Hung as he slapped the table, then grasping his hand from the pain he just felt.

“Wai Hung, that girl doesn’t even love you! She told you so many times! Why do you still waste your time on her? Wai Hung, wake up. She does not like you! Why are you denying it?”

“How do YOU kow that she doesn’t like me?”

“She told you. The whole world knows that I like you, but I know that you don’t like me back because you have told me. Same with her, you like that flower girl but she doesn’t like you back.”

Wai Hung sat down again, glaring onto the empty stone table his hand lay upon.

“All I’m doing now is trying to care for you in every way and hope that you will be touched by my actions and your mind about me would change one day. Please keep that in mind.”

“Touched by my actions…” murmured Wai Hung to himself as he walked into his room. Deep Ting wanted to follow, but the doors were closed on her. She stared at the untouched bowl of bird nest soup, sighed, and walked away.

The next morning, Ming Hei entered the city with Yi Ting and Siu Lan. However, the attention they were getting from the villagers was indeed more than ever before.

“Siu Lan, I’ll be back in a short while, okay?” said Ming Hei as the smell of fresh almond cookies floated in the air.

“Come back soon,” said Siu Lan sweetly, forming an endearing smile on her plush lips. Ming Hei then left. As soon as he did, their neighbors—Mrs. Chai, Mrs. Gu, and Mrs. Ma—walked over. They questioned about their marriage, about who he was, about how he made them think of Ming Hei, about Yi Ting’s martial arts, Siu Lan’s reason for keeping her down all this time, and about how she sort of made Wai Hung approach her with her hair that way.

Siu Lan and Yi Ting would just smile and answer with ease, for they had prepared for this. They married two years ago, and he was Siu Lan’s cousin from a nearby village. Though he reminds them of Ming Hei, no matter what the reason was, people may seem the same and look the same, but they were still different. Yi Ting learned a few tricks from Ah Hei. Siu Lan’s reason for keeping her hair down all this time was that she was accustomed to this look and believe that putting it up is a hassle. Lastly, she met Wai Hung before she was married. That was when their conversation ended, for an unexpected and unwelcome guest has appeared.

“Hmm, we really shouldn’t talk about people in the day time. Look! Once you speak of them, they show up!” Mrs. Ma pointed behind Siu Lan and Yi Ting. They turned their heads, seeing Wai Hung walking down the street lightheartedly, with two servants besides him. One carried a load of fine cloth while the other carried red boxes of fine jewelry.

“Mrs. Tong, Siu Lan, we’ll leave for now,” said Mrs. Chai.

Yi Ting smiled and slight bowed her head, bidding goodbye. The words of the villagers would never stop. Siu Lan and Yi Ting went back to work, ignoring the fact that Wai Hung was approaching. Siu Lan glanced towards the other side of the street, hoping that Ming Hei was returning. The shadow of Wai Hung fell upon her.

“Siu Lan,” said Wai Hung.

“May I help you?” asked Siu Lan coldly without looking in his eyes.

“Are you okay? Your face looks so cold and pale,” said Wai Hung. He tempted to place his hand on her forehead to check, but Siu Lan shoved his hand away, just like he did to Deep Ting.

“I’m fine, thank you. Mister Mung, if you are not here to buy flowers, please do depart. We are busy.”

“Don’t mistake anything, Siu Lan! All I want is to care for your every need and wish you a happy life, hoping that you will one day be touched by my actions.” This was exactly what Deep Ting said to him yesterday.

“Wai Hung, please do not waste your time on me. With your qualities, there are many, many girls in the world who will just throw themselves into your arms!”

“Why aren’t you one of them?”

“Wai Hung, I’m married.”

“Mister Mung, please stop bothering us and leave,” demanded Yi Ting.

“Then he can always divorce you! Even if there is the slightest hope left, my heart belongs to you.”

From the distance came Ming Hei with a bag of cookies in his hands. “Hey!” he screamed he saw Wai Hung once again. Running over, he stood before him and glared into his eyes. Siu Lan moved herself behind Ming Hei. “Why are you here?” Ming Hei insisted. By this time, a crowd has already gathered around the commotion, wondering what will happen next.

“I came to talk with Siu Lan. I don’t think that is part of your business,” barked Wai Hung.

“Does Siu Lan want to talk to you though? I don’t think so. Please leave,” said Ming Hei.

“Siu Lan, I brought some gifts for you,” said Wai Hung, ignoring Ming Hei’s comment. Siu Lan grasped tightly onto Ming Hei’s sleeve. Right then, she suddenly felt dizzy for some unknown reason.

“Mister Mung, there is no need for you to give us gifts. We cannot accept them, please take them away,” urged Yi Ting.

“I must not! These are just gifts of appreciation. You don’t know how many women crave for these two things!” exclaimed Wai Hung.

“But we are not one of them. Thank you for your offer,” said Yi Ting. Siu Lan’s dizziness got worst. Her vision started getting blurry and black dots started appearing.

“Mrs. Tong—” started Wai Hung.

“Did you hear? We don’t want your gifts,” snapped Ming Hei.

“Ah Hei—” started Siu Lan, but her headache prevented her from continuing and brought her to the ground.

“Siu Lan!” cried Ming Hei as he quickly saved her from falling onto the hard concrete ground. Instantly, Yi Tong and Wai hung rushed over to see if she was okay.

“What’s wrong?” asked Mrs. Chai as she, Mrs. Gu, and Mrs. Ma broke through the surrounding crowd.
    Last edited by kaiyi; 08-09-07 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks kaiyi, the last two updates were really good. Also thanks for putting some scenes between Ming Hei and Siu Lan.

Keep doing the good work.

If i guess correctly a little Siu Lan is on the way.

spidey - and you did guess correctly. =)

`

CHAPTER 24: Little Ming Hei

Characters:
    Tong Yi Ting
    Mung Wai Hung - Samul Chan
    `

Ming Hei quickly placed his hand on her forehead. “She has a fever.”

“What are you waiting for? Bring her to the doctor! We’ll watch your stand,” suggested Mrs. Gu. Without saying more, and with his concern making him forget that he was also a doctor, Ming Hei and Yi Ting quickly carried her to a nearby doctor as Wai Hung attempted to follow.

When the doctor took Siu Lan in, Yi Ting and Ming Hei waited patiently outside. Soon, Wai Hung caught up and sat opposite of the two, and was given a deadly stare the entire time. Eventually, the doctor came out.

“How is Siu Lan, doctor?” asked Ming Hei with concern as they walked over.

“She is fine now, but there is something in her body that I couldn’t determine. In the mean time, congratulations. Your wife is pregnant!” reported the doctor happily.

“Re—really?” stuttered Ming Hei happily as a natural smile beamed onto his and Yi Ting’s face. Wai Hung felt his heart break into two upon hearing this, and fell back into a chair as he continued to listen.

“For how long, doctor?” wondered Yi Ting happily.

“Three months already,” answered the doctor.

“Can we go in and see her?” asked Ming Hei gleefully.

“Of course,” said the doctor as he led them in. Wai Hung followed closely behind then, but Ming Hei pulled the curtain on him, forcing him to remain outside and wait.

“Siu Lan!” cried Ming Hei as he quickly went by her side. She hadn’t awakened yet. He gently stroked her cheeks and pinched her nose.

“I’ve given her an acupuncture treatment to bring her fever away. Now we have to wait for her to wake up,” said the doctor.

“Can I have one of your acupuncture needles doctor?” asked Ming Hei.

“What do you need it for?” questioned the doctor as he handed him one. Ming Hei cleaned it off with the flame of a candle on the table and then slowly placed it on a spot on her head.

“What are you doing?! If you do not do it the proper way, the patient can die!” screamed the doctor as he ran over, but Yi Ting pulled him back instantly.

“Trust me doctor, he knows what he’s doing,” confirmed Yi Ting. Assuming that he did, the doctor awaited aside him, hoping that he really does.

Ming Hei pulled the needle out and placed it back onto the table. Siu Lan’s fingers started to tingle and her eyes slowly opened. The doctor stared at her with unbelief. How on earth had he awakened her? He had never learned a way to do that! He was absolutely amazed.

“Where am I?” mumbled Siu Lan weakly.

“You fainted down the streets. We are at the doctor’s right now. Are you feeling okay right now?” asked Ming Hei gently as he grasped her hand.

“I’m fine now.”

“Siu Lan, guess what?” Leaning closer to her ears, Ming Hei whispered, “You’re pregnant.”

“Really? How long?” said Siu Lan happily as a smile emerged onto her lips. She tried to sit up, and Ming Hei aided her.

“Three months already,” replied Yi Ting.

“Now, we will have to think of a name for the child,” whispered Ming Hei as he hugged on tightly to Siu Lan and gently rocked her back a forth.

“Mister, may I ask you who your master is?” interrupted the doctor with interest.

“Master? What master?”

“The one who taught you acupuncture. Your skills were superior. I had never seen someone wake someone up like that!”

“My father taught me it. He’s just a regular doctor of a regular city.”

“Really? Oh.” The doctor was disappointed, for he thought that he might have stepped upon a genius medic, but it just seemed like his skills aren’t even comparable to the other doctors.

Outside, Wai Hung waited impatiently. He paced back and fro as his servants watched him impatiently with the gifts in their hands, since they had never received directions to put them down. They didn’t understand their master, but the still had to listen. Soon, Siu Lan, Ming Hei, Yi Ting, and the doctor came out from behind.

“Siu Lan,” greeted Wai Hung as he tempted to walk over, but his path was blocked by Ming Hei’s glare, which was taunting and spine chilling into his heart. After all, he did beat him in their fight yesterday.

“Doctor, how much will that be?” asked Yi Ting as she took out her money.

“This young man’s skills surely opened up my eyes. Usually I charge seven, but for you, five!” complimented the doctor.

“Thank you,” said Ming Hei as he gave him a smile. Quickly after, Ming Hei diverted that glare back at Wai Hung. Once they paid, the three left, with Ming Hei retreating backwards as he kept his eyes on Wai Hung.

“Mister Mung, Miss Siu Lan is married. You shouldn’t follow her around like that anymore. What happened yesterday is a disgrace to your family’s face and the conversation of over half of Luo Yang’s civilians,” said the doctor. Giving the doctor a nasty look, Wai Hung headed home as his two servants fumbled along with the gifts still in their hands.

Upon returning to their stall, Siu Lan refused to end another day early. Therefore, after informing their neighbors about the good news, they continued their business. However, the impression this young man left them was deep. He was just so similar to Ming Hei. The way he ranted on as the day went on was the same. The silly little tricks he does were the same. For a split second, they really thought it was him, but they know that the Mok family has vanished from this city, perhaps even the world.

Once Wai hung returned him, he allowed the two servants to keep the gifts in their hands. Of course, they quickly thanked him and went off. Walking into his garden, Wai Hung whacked his arm against the wall, and knocked his head against it a few times. A tear rolled down his eye as he slid down onto the ground. He gazed at the daisies Siu Lan planted for him a while ago. They were still standing tall and proud.

“I can’t give up this easily. If she did all that for me, there must be some part of me in her,” whispered Wai Hung to himself as he slowly got back onto his feet.

The sun began to set quickly as Ming Hei, Yi Ting, and Siu Lan headed home. Though she was awake, she still felt like something was bothering her. Her head still hurt. On their way up the mountain, the dizziness returned. She started seeing those black dots once again. Soon, things blurred up and she fell down.

“Siu Lan!” screamed Ming Hei as he jumped over and caught her before she reached the ground. Siu Lan’s eyes stared at him weakly for a moment, and she fainted.

“Ming Hei, we’re almost home. Come on. We can settle her first before you see if she’s okay,” urged Yi Ting. Without saying more, Ming Hei used his Extreme Sudden to carry Siu Lan home while Yi Ting pushed their cart up the hill. Upon reaching his destination, he quickly placed her on the bed and checked her pulse. His eyes widened from the shock. A teardrop trickled down his face. This couldn’t be…

A little while later, Yi Ting arrived. She noticed that the door to Siu Lan’s room was open. Waling it, she saw Siu Lan still asleep in bed and Ming Hei sitting at the table deeply in thought as he rubbed the rim of a teacup with his finger.

“Ming Hei? Is everything alright? How’s Siu Lan?” Yi Ting asked as she sat besides him. He placed the teacup down as he balanced his head on his arms. “Ming Hei? Are you okay?”

“Remember when the doctor said that there was something in her body he couldn’t determine? It’s not something easy to determine unless one is a trained herbalist. Why was I so stupid and not check her pulse the first time she fainted?” sobbed Ming Hei as he buried his head in his own arms.

“Ming Hei, what’s wrong? Don’t punish yourself like this. Tell me now,” calmed Yi Ting as she stroke his hair.

Lifting his head and wiping away his tears, he took a few deep breathes and continued, “Siu Lan has poison in her body.”

“Poison?” stuttered Yi Ting with concern. “Wh—what kind?”

“The Dawn Drop Poison,” reported Ming Hei.

“What is that?” interrogated Yi Ting.

“It’s a very strange and rare poison that only affects pregnant women. There was a legend on how it started. A long time ago, there was a flower goddess named Hiu Lok (author’s note: the name of the poison: Dawn Drop). She fell in love with a regular man who weaves for a living one day when she came down to earth for a mission, and they got married without him ever knowing that she was a goddess. Their gift of love was a strange flower that represented her, the Hiu Lok Flower. Soon, she was pregnant. That was when heaven found out about her forbidden love and pregnancy. Furious with her actions, thye sent her father to retrieve her. Quicly revealing her identity to her husband’s family, her father quickly pulled her away. Her husband begged and prayed him, but he killed him right before her eyes and forced her daughter back to heaven. The Jade Emperor was very furious and aborted her child. And with this strange flower that marked their love, the tears Hiu Lok shed made it poisonous. Anyone pregnant that contacts the flower on a wound would be poisoned. Therefore, Hiu Lok herself was the poison. With the child never born, she was also punished by having to unweave the hearts on Earth upon heaven’s request, causing many people’s love stories to become a tragedy, for happiness and sadness is a cycle. If there was never happiness, how would one know what sadness is, and without sadness, how would one know what happiness is?” explained Ming Hei. “Do you think that the Hiu Lok Goddess has anything to do with Mei Yin and me?”

Right then, he remembered his dream of Fong Ying Fung.

“…be aware of a goddess by the name of Hiu Lok, for she might bring you some trouble later on.”

“Hiu Lok… So this is how you relate…” mumbled Ming Hei.

“What’s wrong?” asked Yi Ting upon hearing hum murmur.

When he was on the edge of informing Yi Ting about everything, he remembered Ying Fung saying: If others heard me told you why you see me in your dreams, I would be in big trouble and be sent to the 18th level of hell.

“Nothing. I was just thinking out loud,” said Ming Hei.

Leaving that thought behind, Yi Ting asked, “What is this poison exactly?”

“It’s a rare poison that only enters and effects on the body of pregnant women. I have never seen this Dawn Drop Flower. The amount of it in the world is very little too. You and Siu Lan must have stumbled across it while you go flower picking the in the mornings,” believed Ming Hei.

“Is—is there a cure for this poison?”

Thinking over a little over the lectures his father used to use him, he answered, “There is.” A relieved smile emerged on Yi Ting’s face. “But I don’t know the cure. My father doesn’t either. It was just that legend that we heard of. I would have never believed it until I realized that Siu Lan’s pulse and symptoms were all similar to my father’s descriptions.”

The smile on Yi Ting’s face dissipated and was replaced with a frown. “What descriptions?” she asked.

“Father said that one who has the Dawn Drop Poison flowing in their blood always will have a purple mark in the shape of a raindrop on the back of their neck.” Ming Hei lifted Siu Lan’s hair. The purple mark was there.

“What else has your father told you?” asked Yi Ting hopefully.

“He said that there is only one possible cure for it and there is only one place in the world that has it, but when I asked him about this destination, he just laughed and walked away.”

“The White Cloud Sect. They have the cure. They are the healing and poison kingdom. They must have the cure. If they don’t, there is no other place in the world that will.”

“That was exactly what I was thinking.”

“Ming Hei don’t even think about going there,” insisted Yi Ting, for she knew that was what he was thinking.

“That’s the only place that could possibly have the cure! My father also said that the one who is poisoned will survive without any pain besides constant headaches and dizziness until the day they give birth. After that, they will die. I can’t let her die, there is still seven months for me to retrieve the cure.”

“Do you know what you have to do in order to get the cure in your hands? You will need to go through countless numbers of life taking challenges, depending on the rarity and power of the cure or poison, with five as the highest number. With the cure we need, that will for sure be five challenges. They are not as simple as you think. Each and every one gets harder and harder. At the fifth challenge, you will have to face the deadly White Cloud Palm. No matter how good of a martial artist you are, the speed of the palm is out of the ordinary. The 5th level of the ‘Extreme Sudden’ might not even be quick enough for it!”

“I don’t care! All I know is that if I do not take this chance, Siu Lan can die!” screamed Ming Hei as he slammed his hand on the table, breaking it into two

With the two staring down at the broken table, Yi Ting said softly, “Maybe there is another way around it.”

“There is no other way,” mumbled Ming Hei hopelessly as he began to sob. Staring sadly into her eyes, he continued, “Tong Ma, I have already lost one person whom I love. I don’t want everyone I love to just die like that. Siu Lan can’t die. Please let me go.”

“No. It’s just too dangerous. I will come up with a second plan.” Yi Ting rushed out the room before Ming Hei could say more. He sat besides his beloved wife and grasped onto her hand. He looked into her closed eyes and waited by her side for her to wake up. As night approached, Ming Hei fell asleep against the wall as he grasped onto her hand the entire time.

CHAPTER 25: Dawn Drop Poison

Characters:
    Tong Yi Ting

`

The sun soon rose when Yi Ting walked into Siu Lan’s room, seeing Ming Hei’s hand grasping tightly onto Siu Lan’s, and both asleep. Leaving two bowls of congee and a note on the kitchen table, she headed out. Not long after, Siu Lan woke up. Slowly opening her eyes and scanning the room, all she saw was Ming Hei grasping onto her hand and asleep by the wall, and a broken table. She tapped him on the shoulders, and he jerked up.

“Siu Lan, when did you wake up?” asked Ming Hei once he gathered himself

“Just now, what happened? Why aren’t you sleeping on the bed?” wondered Siu Lan.

“You fainted on the way home yesterday; I thought that I would wait for you to get up first. Are you okay?” asked Ming Hei as sat besides her and touched her face with concern.

“I’m fine now. Ming Hei, can you check my pulse for me to see what’s wrong? It doesn’t feel like a normal fever,” requested Siu Lan.

“You must be hungry, let me get you some congee.”

As he tried to stand up, Siu Lan yanked his sleeve, forcing him to sit back down. She clasped his hands tightly and asked, “Is there something wrong?”

Ming Hei just stared at her for a short while and then with his eyes wandering around, he asked, “Why would there be?”

“Ming Hei, I know there is something wrong. You don’t know how to tell lies. Your eyes always wander like that when you try. I know there is something wrong. Tell me,” Siu Lan beseeched.

A tear rolled down Ming Hei’s face. Suddenly embracing her tightly in his arms, he sobbed. Though confused, Siu Lan returned with a hug. Something must be wrong. She was scared of what it was, but she needed to find out.

“Ming Hei, please tell me,” adjured Siu Lan as she brought his face to her, eye to eye.

Ming Hei heaved a sigh and mumbled, “Dawn Drop Poison.”

“What is that?” Siu Lan asked.

He took another deep breath and bit down onto his lips, then finally continued. There, he informed her about the legend and symptoms.

“Well that isn’t too bad. We can just get the cure for it. With your talent, I’m sure I’ll be fine,” thought Siu Lan

“It’s not that simple,” muttered Ming Hei as teardrops formed in his eyes again. “If the cure is not given to you before the baby’s birth, both of you will die on the day of his or her arrival.”

Siu Lan was shocked. Her eyes wandered around the room, searching for an answer. “Then we can go get the cure,” she suggested.

“That is what I will do, and that destination is the White Cloud Sect.”

“White Cloud Sect? No Ming Hei, you are not going there!”

“Why are you saying that too? Why can’t I go? Don’t you think my martial arts are good enough to surpass those challenges and get the cure?! If I don’ get the cure, you will DIE!” shouted Ming Hei dramatically as he grasped concernedly onto her shoulders. Tears trickled out his eye, smearing onto his attire.

“Ming Hei, calm down,” demanded Siu Lan as she grasped his shoulders and attempted to calm him. Once he released his grip, she brought his face to her, and continued, “I do not want to see my husband die for me. Those challenges are not as simple as you think. One man is no challenge for such a huge sect. And if you do go to retrieve the cure, your identity as the White Warrior will be revealed, and with that you are only jeopardizing your own life. Ming Hei, please don’t go. There must be some other ways around it.”

“I’ve already lost Mei Yin, I can not lose you,” sobbed Ming Hei.

Siu Lan whipped away his trickling teardrop and held his hand. “You will never lose me, and you have not lost Mei Yin. We will both always remain in your heart.” That guilt of telling him that lie searched around her body once more.

“No, I can’t do this. I can’t bear seeing you get weaker and weaker before me everyday. Do you know how much my heart hurts each time I see you suffer? Siu Lan, please just let me go for you.”

“My mother has told you no so you are not going. There must be another way around it. We can go search through those medical books and see. There is never only one route for anything.”

“Fine. If we are not able to fine anything in 10 days, I’m going on the trip, no matter what anyone says.”

“Yes, ten days. Give it ten days,” said Siu Lan. Ming Hei nodded and they walked out of the room. Upon the table were two bowls of congee. They were still warm. Next to them was a letter. Quickly unfolding it, Ming Hei read:

Ming Hei, Siu Lan:

I know that you must be hungry without eating anything yesterday. I have made some congee this morning for you. I hope that it’s still warm. Ming Hei, if you are still thinking about the White Cloud Sect, You are not going at all. Leave it to me to fine a cure.

Yi Ting

“Seems like my mother read your mind,” supposed Siu Lan.

“Yes she did. Come on, let’s eat,” alleged Ming Hei.

In the city, it was another regular afternoon where Yi Ting was selling her flowers. However, Wai Hung hid himself behind a wall and stared from the distance. Siu Lan was not present. For the next two days, he would do the same thing. Yet, Siu Lan was not present.

As this happened in the city, Siu Lan and Ming Hei were busy searching though the books Tian Hau left for him. Surprisingly, they found a total of twenty books on things he saw and heard about throughout the years he traveled the world. Who would have thought that a swordsman would have such interest in his field? It took them three days to go through them all. There were cures for many disease and poisons, with some that they had never even heard of. Sadly, there was nothing but one page for the Dawn Drop Poison. There, it stated that the only place for this cure was the White Cloud Sect.

Seeing this, Siu Lan’s hopes of him to not leave deceased. During dinner that very night, Ming Hei spoke up.

“Tong Ma, I’m going,” spoke Ming Hei.

“Going? Going where?” Yi Ting inquired.

“White Cloud Sect,” he answered.

“No Ming Hei! It’s too dangerous!” Siu Lan snapped.

“Ming Hei, you are not going at all,” Yi Ting confirmed.

“Tong Ma, that is the only place with the cure. If I don’t go, Siu Lan will die! This isn’t a game we are playing, this is life and death,” said Ming Hei.

“And you aren’t entering a game of life and death when you go?” Siu Lan snapped, begging him to take back his words.

“I promise you, I will live. If I do not go, you are guaranteed to die. Tong Ma, you wouldn’t want to see your daughter die in front of your eyes,” Ming Hei spoke.

“Ming Hei, I do not want you to just go out there and die because of me!” yelled Siu Lan.

“And are you not dying because of me?” said Ming Hei. She was speechless. “Siu Lan, trust me, I’ll be okay.”

“I don’t want to see you risk your life like this,” sobbed Siu Lan.

“Why are you being so selfish? You only care about what others think! What about yourself? Just let me go and try. If I do die, then I’ll die with honor,” Ming Hei affirmed.

“Ming Hei…” sounded Siu Lan as she grasped tightly onto his hands. She closed her eyes, a teardrop fell down her cheeks.

“Please let me go,” Ming Hei implored. She just stared into his eyes, worried and begging for him to stay.

“When do you plan to start?” Yi Ting suddenly said. Siu Lan and Ming Hei’s head quickly turned to her, surprised by her sudden decision.

“Mother?! What are you saying? He could die!” barked Siu Lan.

“He wouldn’t be able to live it through if you died before him and he was able, but not allowed, to do anything. Ming Hei, if you really do believe in yourself, I will too, for I know that there couldn’t be anything else to change your mind now,” promised Yi Ting.

“Siu Lan, your mother agreed. Please, please let me go. This is the least I can do for you right now,” Ming Hei pleaded with hope.

After a short while of thinking, Siu Lan unwillingly nodded yes. A big smile quickly appeared on Ming Hei’s face as he hugged her dearly with love and care.

“There is no need to worry, I’ll be fine,” Ming Hei comforted.

“Ming Hei, when do you plan to take off?” asked Yi Ting.

“How long does it take to get ready?”

“Two days should do.”

“Thank you.”

Siu Lan was still not so positive about the idea, but there was nothing she could do about it to change his mind. All she could do with wish for his safety. The following day, Yi Ting was back in the city again. When she asked Mrs. Chai to watch over her still for her while she went to buy some things, Wai Hung arrived, for he has been hiding for a while.

“Mrs. Chai,” he greeted.

Mrs. Chai looked up and glared at him. “What are you doing here?” said Mrs. Chai.

“I have one question for you,” said Wai Hung.

“What question?” said Mrs. Chai.

“Do you know where Siu Lan lives?” said Wai Hung as he took out a bag of money.

Mrs. Chai glared upon it with despise and then at Wai Hung. “Do you think I’m that greedy?!” yelled Mrs. Chai as she stepped before him with her hands on her hips. Each and every sentence of hers made Wai Hung backed up more and more. “You think you can use money to tell you things?! I will NOT let you bother her family like this! People like you who think money can buy everything are useless! Get out of my sight! Hmp!” When she was finished, Mrs. Chai went back to her position between Yi Ting and her own stall. Almost everyone down the street was looking at him. Glancing at the eyes all around him, he gave her a, “Hmp!” and walked off arrogantly. Once he turned the corner, a man tapped his shoulders.

“You want to know where Siu Lan and her mother lives?” asked the man.

“Yes, do you know?” Wai Hung spoke eagerly.

“Of course I do! But first…” said the man with a slick grin on his face as he rubbed his fingers, waiting for the money. Instantly, he whispered something in his ears. Just at the moment he finished, a woman came by and yanked at the man’s ear. It was Mrs. Ma.

“Stupid husband! What did you tell him?!” bellowed Mrs. Ma fiercely.

“I didn’t say anything!” said Mr. Ma as he tried to get her hands off of his ear.

“You better not! Get back over here!” Mrs. Ma yelled as she tugged his husband away. It was too late. Right then, Wai Hung started for her house. He told him that they live on the hill with two pink trees at the hill bottom. Wai Hung scanned around. There were many trees, but none of them had pink leaves. Walking around, he finally found them. Smiling happily to himself, he went up the hill.

As Wai Hung headed upward, Ming Hei and Siu Lan were trying to spend these last few days like they always do, forgetting about the mission he beholds before him. Siu Lan knows that this might be, but hopefully not, the last day that she’ll ever see him. This day, Ming Hei was trying to teach Siu Lan his swordplay techniques. Despite the fact that she lost her ability to practice any martial arts requiring inner strength, basic techniques that does not require it was fine, just so she would be able to protect herself even better. Using his fan, he would perform the technique slowly and Siu Lan would follow with his sword in hand, and quickly correct her when he sees something wrong.

Stepping forward with his right leg, Ming Hei swiped his sword across the horizon, causing he path he marked to cast a small explosion. Siu Lan attempted this, but once Ming Hei saw her starting to lose balance, he quickly walked over, straightened her shoulders and twisted her hip.

“Hmm, how about this,” said Ming Hei as an idea popped up in his head when he saw her struggle. He placed his fan away and stood behind Siu Lan. He held her left hand with his left hand, and her right hand with his right hand. His chest was touching her back. He motioned her hands and body the way the technique was completed. As he was serious about teaching her, her heart felt warm and comfy, concentrating more on him and what she’s learning. She did not want this feeling to ever go away.

“That is how you do it. Understand?” asked Ming Hei as he let go. Siu Lan didn’t speak. “Siu Lan, are you okay?”

She stared into her eyes, and suddenly threw herself at him as she embraced him tightly in her arms. Though he didn’t quite understand why, but he knew he needed that hug, and therefore hugged her back.

“Siu Lan, what’s wrong?”

“Ming Hei, I don’t want you to leave. What if I never see you again?”

“Silly, why wouldn’t you see me again? I’ll come back safe. I promise.” Ming Hei lifted her chin up, desiring a closer look at her.

Siu Lan leaned forwards and kissed him on the lips. Once they touched, they didn’t want to let go. They couldn’t let go. They must not. This moment will continue, for years and decades until the point of their death.

Wai Hung finally reached the top of the hill. The first thing he saw was the woman he loved kissing another man. His heart broke down once again. Unable to recognize this man as her husband, he ran over towards them with anger boiling in his blood and curling through his body.

“What are you doing?!” screamed Wai Hung.

Quickly turning their heads and seeing the face before him, they both showed a ‘you again?’ expression upon their face.

“How did you get here?” Siu Lan demanded madly as she marched towards him angrily

“Siu Lan, I was worried about you. Are you okay?” Wai Hung asked, ignoring her previous questions.

“Please leave right now,” ordered Siu Lan.

“Who is that man? Where is your husband? Did he force you to kiss him like that?” questioned Wai Hung with concern. “Your husband will be very mad when he finds out! Yes, this man may be more handsome, but that doesn’t me—”

“What are you talking about?! He is my husband! Get out of here NOW!” shouted Siu Lan. Wai Hung stared at her with a confused face as Ming Hei approached and stood besides his wife.

Glaring at Wai Hung, Ming Hei bellowed, “How did you get here? Please leave right now.” Exactly what Siu Lan said.

“What are YOU doing here?! Do you know that Siu Lan has a husband?!” shouted Wai Hung ever so naively. Was he really that relentless or did he just believe that true love never dies?

“I know that,” answered Ming Hei as if the answer was ever so obvious.

“Then why are you bothering her?! Her husband has superior martial arts! He will kill you if he saw what you just did! If he doesn’t, I will!” threatened Wai Hung.

“Siu Lan, let’s go. Don’t waste our time talking to people like this,” Ming Hei pulled her away.

Seeing their hands collide, Wai Hung instantly pushed a force of energy towards Ming Hei’s hand, casting it away from Siu Lan’s.

“What’s your problem?!” Ming Hei bawled with fiery red eyes of danger.

“What is YOUR problem?!” reiterated Wai Hung with emphasis.

CHAPTER 26: The Start of a Journey

Characters:
    Tong Yi Ting
    Shum Ying

`

“You are really stubborn are you? Get out of our house’s area right now before I make you!” Ming Hei bellowed as he took a few steps forward.

“Ming Hei, calm down,” mumbled Siu Lan as she tugged on his sleeves.

“Her husband’s name is Ah Hei! And you are Ming Hei! Stop lying!” shouted Wai Hung, trying to prove him wrong.

“My surname is Ming and my name is Ah Hei,” Ming Hei quickly added after some quick thinking.

“Don’t lie. You look nothing like him,” denied Wai Hung.

Seeing that he’s hopeless, Ming Hei rolled his eyes and pulled Siu Lan away. Angrily, Wai Hung sent Ming Hei a palm right on the back, casting him a few steps forward. His martial arts weren’t that bad if he was able to catch Ming Hei off guard like this.

Shocked by the sudden attack he wasn’t able to block and his relentless attitude, he unsheathed his sword and pointed it towards Wai Hung at a ferocious pace, glaring into the end of his eye. The aura of the sword glistened in the steady wind, tinkling with perfection. Wai Hung took a step back.

Attempting to thwart the battle, Siu Lan quickly spoke, “Wai Hung. He is Ah Hei, my husband. If you don’t believe me, I’m telling you that it’s the truth. No further explanation is needed.”

Wai Hung didn’t listen. He was positive that he wasn’t the same person, and that was that. Instantly, he unsheathed his sword and charged forward. Ming Hei continuously blocked his attack, struggling between the Ching Sum Kuet and what he could do without revealing his powers. Soon, he gained the upper hand and parted Wai Hung’s sword into two. Wai Hung stared upon is broken half, remembering the same style Siu Lan’s husband used the last time they were engaged in combat. He remembered the way he broke his sword. He remembered the way of he glared at him. All of this was similar to what this man was doing at this very moment. It was the same person.

“Get out of here right now,” Ming Hei warned in a deep and insistent voice.

“You really are Ah Hei?” questioned Wai Hung, slightly doubting his own thoughts.

“Get out of here right now,” bellowed Ming Hei in that same deep and insistent voice, only louder and more demanding. Taking a glance at Siu Lan, he picked up the pieces of his broken sword and marched away.

Sheathing his sword, Ming Hei quickly went aside Siu Lan. “Are you okay?” Ming Hei asked concernedly. She nodded and embraced him with her arms, squeezing at the pain from Wai Hung’s sneak attack earlier. Ming Hei bit down on his lips and squeezed his teeth, trying to not let her know the pain she’s causing. Though he knew it was the Chan Family Palm of Chan Gwok Ho’s that Wai Hung used, he just couldn’t bear see Siu Lan get any sadder.

“I was scared. I was scared that I almost gave away your identity. I’m sorry,” stuttered Siu Lan nervously as Ming Hei felt her tremble against him.

“There is no need to be sorry. That time will come one day, and each second that passes by, I am getting closer to that revelation. The only thing I’m worried about when I leave is Mung Wai Hung.”

“Mother will be with me the whole time you’re gone. If he does come, she’ll shoo him away. How did he found out where we lived?”

“I have no idea, but I’m sure that he will return.”

“Is your back okay?”

“Its fine, I’m okay,” Ming Hei backed up a little, so that she would not be able to touch or see his injury, and he changed the topic. “Are you tired from practicing? Why don’t you take a break and tend your flower garden for a while? I’ll go get you some food.”

She nodded and headed off.

Once he saw her disappear around the corner, Ming Hei went into his room, where he took some ointment his father made for him long ago, and applied it to his own back. A stinging feeling rushed all over his body, and tangled every muscle. He needed this injury to get better as soon as possible, especially since it was the Chan Family’s Palm, which could stay for two to three months without improvement. The use of the ointment will heal it within two to three days. Luckily, the Mung Wai Hung was not as powerful Chan Gwok Ho’s attacks. Right after, he took out some food out for Siu Lan.

The sun eased down the mountains and Yi Ting returned home. Tomorrow was the day Ming Hei will start on his journey. Therefore, she cooked dinner earlier to make sure that he’ll have enough energy for tomorrow’s journey.

The next morning arrived, and the rays of the early sun beamed upon Siu Lan’s eyes and woke her up She turned to her side, and stared at her sleeping husband’s face. She doesn’t want him to leave. She’ll miss him so much. She doesn’t want him to do this for her. She wanted him by her side. Leaning over, she touched his cheeks, and kissed him on the forehead. A tear struck down her face, and she walked out.

Soon, Yi Ting awoke him, and they ate quickly. Then, Yi Ting settled everything he needed for his journey upon the table.

“Remember, your three weapons must stay with you at all times. Never leave them unattended. Be careful though, okay? I drew a map to the White Cloud Sect for you, it should take you about a month to reach it. Inside this bag, I’ve packed you some food, clothing, money, and a water container. Okay?”

“Yes Tong Ma,” Ming Hei answered as he stuck a few more important things of his into the bag.

“Are you ready?”

“Yes.” With his word, they headed outside.

“Have a safe trip. Be sure to keep as quiet as possible as you journey. The revelation of your identity is doom to happen during this trip, but try to postpone this date as late as possible for the better. You will never know if the martial artists you encounter are good or evil, so it’s the best to keep silent. Most important, do not unsheathe your sword to help if you see others having trouble. The side you aid is not necessarily the good side. Walk on and ignore them. And that, might be your biggest problem, for your heart is still too kind,” said Yi Ting.

“I’ll be careful Tong Ma,” said Ming Hei.

Taking a few steps forward, Siu Lan gazed at his face. “I’ll miss you,” she mumbled.

“I will too. Don’t worry about me. Live strong and wait for my return,” said Ming Hei as he kissed her on the forehead. Siu Lan embraced her arms around him, squeezing him tightly and unwilling to let go. Slowly, he pulled her arms away from his hip. She didn’t want him to leave. Ming Hei slowly backed up and waved goodbye, then turned around and walked away. They watched him as he went on until he disappeared from the horizon. Tears struck down Siu Ln’s face as she begged for him to return with safety. Ming Hei’s journey into the martial world has now begun.

Five hours has already gone by, and yet there were trees and more trees surrounding him. It was the middle of summer and the life taking heat was wearing him down. The sun was bright and brilliant, casting rays directly onto the lad. Soon enough, a break was seriously needed. Ming Hei plopped down, laying there on the ground as he felt the freshness of the grass between the fingers of his hand.

“Where am I?” he asked himself. Ever since the city of Luo Yang left the horizon, not a single man made structure was seen. “What if I never see another building until I reached the White Cloud Sect? I’ll die of hunger!” he exaggerated.

A rustling of leaves was heard from a nearby bush. Being the curious person he had always been, Ming Hei slowly walked over and pushed aside the gigantic pieces of leaves, seeing a girl at abut the age of thirteen with her knees up and her arms over her legs while her head was buried within them, crying. Her face and arms were scarred up from what that seemed to be some serious whipping. On her right was was a deep infected cut with a yellow bubbly liquid that oozed out and colorized her attires.

“Are you okay?” Ming Hei asked. Taking one glance at the source of the voice, the small maiden buried her head back into her arms and ignored him. “Are you okay?” Ming Hei tapped her. She instantly shoved his hand away with a powerful push. Ming Hei sensed the slightest bit of inner strength within it. She must know some kind of martial arts.

“Get away! None of you men are good! Get away!” screamed the small maiden fiercely.

“Your right arm is injured greatly. If you do not treat it quickly, your arm may need to be amputated.”

“Get away! I do not want your help! I don’t care if my arm needs to be chopped off! All men are good for nothing! All of you use women as someone to beat on when you are mad!”

“Your arm is infected!” Ming Hei shouted. He doesn’t understand why some people were so stubborn and do not take care of themselves. Her arm was injured. All he understands was that if she does not treat it, she would most likely lose the arm and that, he could not bear to see people refuse his help. Quickly, Ming Hei motioned his hand to her collarbone and pressed her freeze points. She gaped with fear locked within her eye, for she wasn’t able to move. Ming Hei pulled up her right sleeve.

“What are you doing?! Get away!” screamed the small maiden. Ignoring her words, he pulled out a bottle of ointment consisting of a green liquid.

“Hold on, this will hurt a little,” warned Ming Hei gently as he poured some of the liquid over her wound. She shrieked in pain as Ming Hei dabbed the excess liquid away with a handkerchief. He stood up and untied his waistband.

“What are you doing?! Stop it! Get away!” The small maiden couldn’t move. Fear terrorized her body, it shivered her skin and it pushed against her heart.

Ming Hei always wore multiple waistbands, for he uses them as cloth to wrap up wounds. Taking one off, he wrapped it expertly onto her right arm. At this moment, the small maiden’s impression of this man instantly changed. She had never met a man who treated her like this before. All of the ones she knew were perverts and cruel, but this one was not at all. All men he knew were all ugly, but this one was not at all.

Ming Hei unfroze her the moment he finished tending her would. The small maiden felt her wrapped arm and looked warmly onto his face. “Thank you,” she said in a mellow tone.

Ming Hei released a smile. “Your injury should be fine right now. Remember to change the piece of cloth on right arm every few days to help it heal at the fastest pace. I don’t know what happened, but the sun is setting. Your family will be worried about you if you don’t return home soon, small maiden.” Without saying more, Ming Hei started walking off.

The word ‘small’ struck the girl hard like a rock. She was thirteen already. She wasn’t ‘small.’ The lass quickly stood up and said, “Mister, please stay.”

Stopping, Ming Hei turned around, waiting for the small maiden to speak.

“I have no family. I will not go back. I hate them.”

She has a family, she doesn’t want to go back, and she hates them; Ming Hei wanted a family, he couldn’t go back, and he loved them. “You only have one mother and one father in a life time. Nothing more. There are some people in this world that wants to be with his family and cannot because heaven and earth has already prevented their unity. Your family is alive, unlike mine. I can’t even be with them even if I want to. The moment they perish from the earth will be the moment you will forever regret for not spending enough time with them.” Ming Hei spoke with such passion and emotion, bringing woe and sympathy to the small maiden’s heart.

“It’s hard for even an upright official to deal with the matters of one’s family. Just because I’m not a son, I’ve been treated as a servant. Two years ago, my father was executed for assassination. Just a month ago, my mother married another man, a cruel one.”

That explained her scars. Ming Hei pointed to them, she nodded, then continued her story, “It—it happened this morning. My mother saw my father slapping me, and came over. Then believing that it was my fault, she took a wipe and started whipping me until I was out of the house. What kind of mother is that? I ran as fast as possible and hid in this bush ever since. Then you came.” Little drops of tears colored her round cherubic face, large round eyes, small round nose, and tiny lips of ruby red.

He handed her a handkerchief. Taking it gratuitously, she wiped her tears and stared upon his face once more. “You are the first and only man whom I’ve ever met who’s handsome and so kind to women. All the ones I knew were all ugly, evil, and perverts!”

Flattered by her frank comment, Ming Hei just gave her that small smile and sat down on the grass. The lass did the same. Ming Hei spoke, “There are many nice men in this world, and it is only that you have not met them—ones who could do so much better than me, ones who are at least able to protect their love ones from dying.” Mei Yin and Siu Lan fluttered past in his mind.

“There’s someone you love?” the small maiden asked.

Ming Hei nodded in agreement. “She is poisoned. I am going to retrieve the cure she needs. No matter how hard it’s going to be, I am no man if I’m not able to protect the ones I love. I cannot lose another person who means so much to me.”

The small maiden was touched by his words. She had not known that someone could be so loving and willing to do so much for the one in his heart. “I’ve been talking to you for so long, what’s your name? I’m Shum Ying (沈莹). People call me Ying Ying.”

“We met by chance like patches of drifting duckweed. There is no need to leave a name. Time is passing, and I have to go. There is always a place for people to go in this world, and if that is not home, you ought to find it soon.” Ming Hei stood up.

“Can I follow you on your journey then?” asked Ying Ying as she did the same.

“Small maiden, my journey is dangerous. My life is already hanging on a thread because of this decision. You are only jeopardizing your own, especially since—wait. What was that inner strength inside your body?” Ming Hei queried.

“I know martial arts. So?” She saw the uncertainty in his face and continued. “It’s not my useless father who taught me. He’s just one of those useless government officers who hit people.”

“Well, whoever taught you martial arts doesn’t matter. The beating is over now. The future is what that stands ahead.”

“And my future right now will be following you on your journey!”

“No,” Ming Hei retorted. “It’s too dangerous and not for someone with an understanding of martial arts like you. Some government officers only gained their position because of connection or corruption. So if you can’t even beat one of them, how could you fight a battle the people of the martial world?”

“Not all of them are bad though. How about this, I challenge you to a fight! If I win, I get to follow you on your journey. If I lose, then I won’t follow you.”

Slightly annoyed, Ming Hei stopped and stared at her. “So can I?” asked Ying Ying as she released a sweet and tender smile.

Returning a smile to her, he suddenly jumped into the air. With the Extreme Sudden, he soared through the air. Watching him fly, Ying Ying gasped happily and within a few seconds, she jumped into the air and flew after him. Shortly, Ming Hei landed on the ground. Glancing behind him, the forest he was in previously was gone, and so was Ying Ying. Around him was a vast open field of green grass and florid flowers. Relieved at the sudden peace, he continued his journey. Suddenly, a sudden breeze was felt behind his back. As he turned around, Ying Ying landed on the ground. Ming Hei gaped at the sight before him, for he never have never knew that she knew Hing Gong, especially since she could catch up with even the lowest levels of the Extreme Sudden in such a quick manner. Ying Ying walked up nonchalantly to him and said, “Wait for me!”

“Who taught you your Hing Gong?” inquired Ming Hei.

“You’re really fast!” praised Ying Ying, ignoring his question.

please update more often.it seems like i have been waiting very long for the update.the story is getting interesting.and i am getting impatient.
    thanx for nice story.keep updating.i m there, always reading ,even if i don't reply.

maverick - i had a busy summer and school just started so i didnt have much time to update. xD sorry! but its great to know that i have another reader. thanks for leaving a comment. =)

CHAPTER 27: Return of the Warrior

Characters:
    Tong Yi Ting
    Shum Ying

`

“I said, who taught you your Hing Gong?” Ming Hei repeated.

She blinked her pair of round eyes a few times. “Let me think,” said Ying Ying as she tapped her chin. “It was 6 or 7 years ago when I was still very little. I saw this beautiful injured woman and helped her bound her wounds. She told me that she won’t be able to live on much longer and handed me this booklet and died. I buried her and kept that booklet safe. That booklet was actually a martial art manual. Slowly as time went by, inner strength accumulated within me as my martial arts improved without my parents knowing. And this Hing Gong was part of it.”

“Who was the women?” Ming Hei asked with curiosity.

“Hmm, I don’t know. She was dressed prettily in red as she held a beautiful wooden flute in her hand.” She tapped her chin as she stared into the vast, blue, and cloudless sky. “She said her name was… Choy… Choy Ching Ting (蔡蜻蜓) or something like that.”

“Choy Ching Ting?” reiterated Ming Hei. Right there, he remembered what Yi Ting has once told him: She was an elegant lady famous for her soothing yet treacherous songs that she plays upon her precious wooden flute. She and Bak Sing Ping were very close, and they often get together with each other as they examined each other’s martial arts and stories that they have experienced. The beauty of this woman’s music was indescribable. Ming Hei, people said that if your father and she met, they would be the perfect couple, but whether it’s predestined for good or bad, they never did. She in fact, fell in love with another hero of the martial world. Once they met, both of them stepped out of the martial world and news about them perished ever since.

“Where is the manual and flute right now?”

“I have the manual with me, but the flute I buried with the pretty lady. Do you want to see the manual?”

“No. She gave you the manual. She expects you to not show it to anyone. Keep it safe and do not tell anyone whom the martial art you know belongs to, or else you could be facing death yourself.”

“If I offered to show the manual to anyone else, I’m sure that they’ll steal it from me. I like you. So, can I follow you on your journey?”

“No.”

“Why not? What if someone really steals this manual from me? I’ll need someone to protect me! At the same time, I can protect you too with whatever martial art you know. What kinds of martial arts do you know?”

“Cannot tell.” Ming Hei started walking. Ying Ying followed him once again.

“Are you like some super martial artist that people are hunting down because they want your martial arts?” asked Ying Ying. She then examined him from head to toe. “Hmm, you don’t really look like a martial artist at all. You’re too skinny and not tall enough. You look more like a scholar. Do you even KNOW martial arts?”

“Of course.”

“What kind?”

“You are not going to trick me into telling you. Why do you even want to follow me? It’s a terribly dangerous journey.”

“Then is it not dangerous for a girl like me to wander around the world alone? Especially since I hold the manual of Choy Ching Ting’s in my hands?”

Ming Hei stopped. She was right. A small child with such a powerful manual just made her an easy prey. He looked around his surroundings. The vast field that was before him was now long gone in the distant. They were heading up a hill.

“Are you changing your mind?” asked Ying Ying innocently and hopefully.

“What are you thinking?” Ying Ying asked.

Ming Hei held up his finger, motioning her to be quiet. “I hear intruders,” Ming Hei whispered.

Ying Ying looked around, nothing was heard. Suddenly, the stampeding of footsteps and clangor of weapons was heard in the distance. Thieves might be approaching. Ming Hei squinted his eyes, and at the hilltop, a group of people were hurtling towards them. To the left, there was another bunch. To the right, there was another bunch.

“Run!” yelled Ming Hei as he pulled Ying Ying’s arm and ran downhill. It was too late. A group of thieves with a blade in one hand and a metal claw in the other enclosed them. The frightened Ying Ying quickly hid behind Ming Hei.

“Who are you?” Ming Hei queried calmly.

“Who do you think we are?” bellowed a bearded man around the age of fifty that seemed to be the leader of the crowd. “We are thieves! Place down your belongings right now before we hurt anyone!”

“Wha—what are we going to do?” stuttered Ying Ying into his ear.

“You’ve said that your martial art is pretty good, this is your chance to show me how good it is,” whispered Ming Hei. Ying Ying nodded to his words, though she had never fought in such a situation before.

Right there, Ming Hei unsheathed his sword and held it in the air, allowing its gleam of light to flash upon the viewers’ faces and blinding their vision, as Ying Ying looked helplessly around.

“So you want to do it the hard way?” the leader smirked. With a wave of his arm, his men charged forward, ready for a battle.

“Go!” shouted Ming Hei as he pulled out his flute and threw it to Ying Ying, who just stared up on it as he reached her hand. What on earth was she supposed to do with it? Someone aimed a blade right down her head. Automatically, she held the flute up, and blocked it. She knew she only had two choices right here: to fight or to die. She couldn’t let him fight all alone. Staring at Ming Hei, she saw him striking them expertly and effectively. Each strike he attempted brought the men down instantly, but each strike only brought them now to a point where they didn’t die, but just so that they had to stay down. His martial arts were surely more superior than she had thought. Inspired by his bravery and expertise, she quickly jumped in. The two exchanged a quick glance and the battle began. However, it was a battle of two against a hundred, even if one of the two was the Legendary White Warrior.

Seeing that the battle was going no where, their leader sudden leaped into the crowd, aiming three daggers right at Ying Ying’s direction. Sighting his sneak attack, Ming Hei quickly jumped over and pulled out his fan. Just a few inches before the dagger struck her face, he flicked open his fan, which pushed the daggers into the ground as the words revealed itself. His identity was revealed. The leader gaped.

“The White Warrior?” gasped the leader as the words on he fan revealed. “Stop!” he commanded.

Everything froze.

They waited for instructions.

Ming Hei quickly closed his fan, but it was too late. He scanned the silver eyes that stared into his face. Taking this chance, he quickly grabbed Ying Ying and pulled them out of danger with his Extreme Sudden. No one saw him leave. He was so swift that it seemed like he had just turned invisible. The leader gasped at the sight as disbelief filled his mind. “It couldn’t have been,” he mumbled in disbelief.

“What is it, leader?” asked one of his members when he saw the awestruck face.

“The White Warrior has returned,” announced the leader. The members of the sect widened their eyes amazement and disbelief as they looked amongst each other, asking each other whether this that they heard was true.

“Mok Tian Hau?” asked another one of his members once they’ve managed to speak from shock.

“The boy is too young. The rumors must have been true. Mok Tian Hau is dead, leaving his son, Mok Ming Hei, to succeed his position,” the leader stared at the mist of the warrior. Turning back to his men, he commanded, “Spread the word. The White Warrior is back.” He then walked away, with many thoughts drifting through his mind, leaving the task to his fellow disciplines.

Far, far away, Ming Hei safely descended besides a river with Ying Ying. No one followed, because they couldn’t. Walking over to the sparkling water that twinkled in the daylight, he stared into his distorted reflection. Ying Ying walked over and peered onto his face. “Are you okay?” she asked.

“The identity’s revealed, just too soon, too soon. You should leave before I lead you to any trouble.”

“What identity?”

“The words on my fan.”

“What words? By the way, how is it even possible for a fan able to stop such sharp and fast daggers from piercing through it just like that? That was phenomenal!”

Ming Hei pulled out his fan, revealing the words to the small maiden: The linking of two hearts allows all to be accomplished.

Ying Ying instantly gasped in surprise. “Y—you are the—”

Ming Hei nodded, flicked his fan closed, and placed it away.

Ying Ying leaned forward and examined his face. “Are you really the White Warrior?” she whispered naively.

Ming Hei smiled. “What else is there to hide right now?”

“So you are Mok… erm… Mok Tian Hei?” asked Ying Ying.

Ming Hei laughed at the name she gave him. “Mok Ming Hei. There is no Mok Tian Hei. My father is Mok TIAN Hau while I’m Mok Ming HEI. You got the names messed up.”

“Oh, so your name is Ming Hei?”

“Yes.”

Ying Ying gave a jolly giggle. “I never thought that I would meet someone well known in the martial world! So you are the holder of the Ching—Ching Kuet?”

“Ching Sum Kuet is what it’s called,” corrected Ming Hei with a smile, amused by her incomplete thoughts. However, it quickly diminished and was replaced by a serious and concerned face. “Do you regret meeting me?”

Though the small maiden never really understood why he would ever ask something like that, she answered, “Why would I ever? If you don’t mind, I can become your god sister too. What do you say?”

Somewhat shocked with her sudden idea, Ming Hei just stared upon her innocent face. “You really aren’t afraid are you?”

“What is there for me to be afraid of? I’ve lived through those dreadful years with my parents and stepfather, stepped upon Choy Ching Ting’s manual, and fought a large band of thieves just like that. What more is there for me to lose if I had nothing at the start? You are the only one I trust right now.”

“Well, sure then,” accepted Ming Hei as he smiled to his new family member.

“Really?! You really are willing to become my god brother?” A smile naturally emerged upon the small maiden’s face.

“What else do I have to lose?”

“Your wif—” started Ying Ying, but she covered her mouth before she allowed herself to fnished her sentence.

Having a liking towards the small maiden, Ming Hei could only agree with her honest words. “My wife has the Dawn Drop Poison running through her body right, a strange poison that is only capable of harming a pregnant mother. If I do not get the cure for her from the White Cloud Sect soon, she will die along with the baby on the day of the baby’s arrival,” explained Ming Hei.

“I’ll be with you and help you retrieve that cure no matter what! I’m sure your wife is very beautiful in order for you to do this for her.”

“I’m not doing this for her beauty,” snapped Ming Hei. Ying Ying stared at him innocently once again. Introducing a new topic at this odd situation, Ming Hei asked, “Are you hungry?” Ying Ying nodded. Therefore he pulled out two more mantous. This small maiden resembled the childhood him and Mei Yin so much. As he watched her eat, memories replenished his mind once again. He just could not forget. No matter how much he loves Siu Lan now, he just could not forget.

Later the day, Ming Hei observed the map Yi Ting drew for hi as Ying Ying sat by the river and watched the fishes. It was right then when he realized that there was a red X telling him to not go by that hill he just passed, for a band of thieves dwells there. Ming Hei slapped himself on his forehead for his stupidity. It’s too late now. He shook his head around and slapped himself a few times to get the thought of himself blaming himself out of his mind, then stared at the setting sun. They needed find a place to stay for the nice. The next nearby village won’t be reached until one or two more days of fast traveling, and around them were just a river and a small forest.

“Brother Mok, where are we going right now? The sun is setting,” asked Ying Ying as she came back.

“We’ll walk through the forest and see what we can do,” answered Ming Hei as he started to walk. The further they stepped into the forest, the density of the trees lightened up and a road soon appeared before them. A place to stay for the night must be close. Soon enough, an old temple was seen by the roadside, and that was where they stayed for the night.

As Ying Ying slept that night, Ming Hei just sat there by the campfire and stared into the flames of fire that flickered teasingly. Memories of when Siu Lan and he was inside a temple like this a few years ago replayed in his mind and danced in the flames. Ying Ying squinted one of her eyes opened as she stared upon her god brother.

“Brother Mok,” sounded Ying Ying.

“Ying Ying, why aren’t you asleep yet? Morning will arrive soon and you need rest,” said Ming Hei softly as he walked over and pushed the hair that dangled before her face aside.

“Why aren’t you sleeping?” Ying Ying questioned back.

“I will in a little bit. You sleep right now, okay?” Ying Ying nodded and closed her eyes. Seeing her obeying his words, Ming Hei stepped outside and stared into the midnight sky. Many stars accompanied the almost full moon tonight. Siu Lan’s face reflected upon it. “Siu Lan, I’ll retrieve the cure for you no matter what it takes,” whispered Ming Hei, hoping that the moon would deliver his message to his beloved.

Back in Luo Yang, Siu Lan couldn’t sleep. Leaning over her window, she wondered if Ming Hei was staring at the same moon accompanied by so many dazzling stars at this moment. “Ming Hei, please return safely,” she whispered. A knock was heard on her door. “Come in,” said Siu Lan. It was her mother.

“Why aren’t you asleep?” asked Yi Ting as she sat by her side.

“I will. Look at the night sky. Isn’t it pretty tonight? All those stars accompanying the shining moon…”

“Yes it’s pretty, but you need your sleep.”

“Yes mother,” answered Siu Lan as she closed her window and slept for the night.

CHAPTER 28: Grace and Beauty

Characters:
    Shum Ying
    Tong Yi Ting
    Bak Gwun Yu - Nancy Wu (finally makes an appearance!)

`

The next day approached as the sun rose and the dew drops trickled down to the floor. Ming Hei awakened, and stepped outside. The drops upon these flowers glistened. Mei Yin and Siu Lan appeared on his mind once again as he observed the morning sky. Pulling out that lilac bookmark, he gazed upon its beauty.

“What is that?” said Ying Ying as her head suddenly came over Ming Hei’s shoulder.

“Why are you up so early?” asked Ming Hei when he saw her existence.

“The sun got in my eye. Why are you carrying a bookmark along?”

“Because it means something important to me.”

“What important thing?”

“You are a curious girl aren’t you?” asked Ming Hei as he walked back into the temple. Ying Ying followed.

“What important thing does it symbolize?” Ying Ying asked as Ming Hei took out two mantous. He bit into one of them and stuffed the other one into Ying Ying’s mouth, causing her to cough. She took the mantou from his hands and stuck it back into his mouth.

“You can be really sassy too,” said Ming Hei as he pulled out his mantou and smiled. Ignoring him, the small maiden resumed her eating. Soon, they began on your journey once again.

After traveling for a few more hours, they rested besides another river they spotted. Ying Ying fell back into the grass as she rested. Soon, she fell asleep and a disturbing dream came upon her. The scenery of what has happened yesterday morning appeared once more.

“AH!” Ying Ying screamed as she suddenly awoke from her nightmare. Sweat dribbled down her face, she trembled with fear, and she panted continuously.

“What’s wrong?” Ming Hei questioned when he ran over.

Seeing someone she trusted, she tightly hugged onto him. Ming Hei’s heart skipped a beat upon her actions, but he knew she needed his comfort.

“It’s okay Ying Ying, what’s wrong?”

“I—I saw him.”

“Who?” said Ming Hei.

“My—my stepfather. It all came back! Everything that happened yesterday morning just won’t leave me! Why does it stay? Why can’t it leave?” Ying Ying cried as the past haunted her and burdened her shoulders.

“It’ll all be fine. Trust me,” comforted Ming Hei as he wiped off her tears with his handkerchief. “It’s all the past now. I won’t let whoever that was do more harm to you, okay? Time washes things away. You are safe now.”

Ying Ying softened her cry. She looked into Ming Hei’s eyes and allowed the charm within to reassure herself. Then, she nodded to his words.

“Now, shall we continue on our journey?” asked Ming Hei. Ying Ying nodded as she ran over to retrieve the bag of mantous and placed it over her shoulders. “Are you ready?”

“Yes,” Ying Ying answered.

“All right then,” said Ming Hei. Grabbing onto Ying Ying’s shoulder, he jumped into the air and soared across the sky. Shocked, the small maiden started screaming as her arms and legs started getting weak. “It’s okay. Open your eyes; the scenery is beautiful right here. I won’t drop you.”

Trusting his words, Ying Ying slowly opened her eyes and saw the beautiful atmosphere below her. The green trees and plains, the mountains and rivers; those all filled the land before like pieces of a puzzle. She admired the beautiful scenery below her and slowly, the weakness in her arms and legs diminished. Ming Hei smiled once he saw her back to the happy and naive girl she was.

Back in Luo Yang, a knock was heard on Siu Lan and Yi Ting’s door. Once Yi Ting retrieved it, she saw that it was Wai Hung.

“Why are you here?” barked Yi Ting as she tried to prevent him from entering, but he barged in before she had the chance to.

“What are you doing here?” Siu Lan demanded with a glare as she sat up. Right behind Wai Hung, a man in his mid 60s with a long white beard and long face stood.

“Siu Lan, I was worried about you. Just as long as I know your baby is okay, I’ll leave. Doctor Yim is our family doctor who acquired great skills and knowledge.”

“I told you I’m fine. I don’t have anything to do with you at all, why are you bothering me again and again like this?” queried Siu Lan with displeasure.

“This is our house! If you do not leave our house this instant, I do not guaranteed your safety,” shouted Yi Ting.

“Mrs. Tong, I just want to see if she’s okay. As long as I know that she’s fine, I’ll leave,” said Wai Hung.

Yi Ting studied this old doctor before her. Sure enough, he was not someone he recognized from the martial world, therefore he shouldn’t have an idea about the Dawn Drop Poison, right? Thinking it over, she finally said, “Fine. One check and that’s final.”

“Mother—”

Yi Ting held her hand up to her daughter and nodded her head, informing her to trust her instincts.

Siu Lan snorted, then held out her palm.

Placing his medical box at the table, he walked over and felt Siu Lan’s pulse. The doctor’s eyes widened with disbelief as he stood up.

“What is it doctor?” asked Wai Hung concernedly. Siu Lan stood back up with her mother.

“This—this girl has the Dawn Drop Poison running through her body,” stuttered Doctor Yim with fear.

Siu Lan and Yi Ting felt their heart stop for a moment as they gasped in surprise. How did he know?

“Dawn Drop Poison What is that?” asked Wai Hung concernedly.

“It’s a strange poison derived from the Dawn Drop Flower. A concubine of the emperor had it and I was the one sent to cure her. Sadly, her poison was discovered too late and the cure was not retrieved fast enough and she died before the cure arrived. Once a pregnant woman come in contact with that flower through a cut on their body, the poison seeps through, with only its only symptoms being occasional fainting and dizziness. Worst of all, the day of the baby’s arrival to earth is also it’s and it’s mother’s death. There is only one place in the world who has the cure, and that is the White Cloud Sect,” spoke Doctor Yim.

Normally, no one knows about the White Cloud Sect unless they’ve been running the routes of the martial world. “How did you know of this poison’s existence?” asked Yi Ting.

“Mrs. Tong, my cousin holds a safe guard business that delivers items all around China, and his knowledge of the world our there is crucial,” explained Doctor Yim. Yi Ting whacked herself within her mind from stupidity in not considering such factors.

“What is the White Cloud Sect?” asked Wai Hung.

“They call it the healing and poison kingdom of the martial world. They have all he cures and poison that you can name. The thing is that you have to surpass so many levels of life and death challenges in order to retrieve the cure,” said Doctor Yim.

“My husband went already and there is no need for you to go because you will not be able to get it. Now, you checked my pulse, get out of my house right now!” said Siu Lan as she pushed them out, for she knew that Wai Hung was eager to try. Siu Lan leaned against the back of the door as she thought.

“Siu Lan! I’ll retrieve the cure no matter what!” shouted Wai Hung on the opposite side of the door. After this, Wai Hung and Doctor Yim left the hill. Behind the door, Siu Lan lowered her head as she felt guilt circling along with the poison inside her blood.

Sixteen days have gone by, and with the incredible speed of the five brilliant black stallions and four fierce soldiers with eyes of fury accompanied by a family of weapons, Wai Hung easily caught up with Ming Hei, whose speed was slowed down by Ying Ying’s accompany. However, no thieves of sects stepped upon Wai Hung’s path; perhaps it was the shining army and weapons his soldiers held that scared them away, or maybe it was just the special route that Doctor Yim had given him to take, where thieves and sects were scarce.

On the other hand, attack after attack aimed towards the White Warrior, spreading word of his return and increasing power as he steps into the martial world. His identity was revealed, and there was no need to hide anymore, allowing him to expose his full power upon an enemy’s attack and finishing them fast. Ying Ying admired his ability, and was truly amazed that an actual human being could conduct this all with his bare hands.

After all these days of traveling, Ming Hei and Ying Ying finally arrived at the empty and silent territory of the White Cloud Sect, for no one dared to step upon their ground unless this was the last route that could be taken, for the White Cloud Sect’s position in the martial world was extraordinary.

Ying Ying gazed at the various sites before her with amazement. The trees seemed bigger and stronger here. So many plants she never saw were present. As she was about to reach out and touch it, Ming Hei snapped, “Don’t touch that. It’s poisonous.”

Ying Ying instantly sprinted back and walked cautiously next to Ming Hei.

The wind blew softly against the trees as they continued when a group of stallions rushed through the grounds of this peaceful forest disrupted the peaceful silence.

“Brother Mok, is someone after us?” asked Ying Ying as the stampeding increased.

“Don’t worry about it. Just keep walking.”

Still curious, Ying Ying turned her head, and spotted moving figures emerging from the horizon. “Brother Mok! Look!”

Ming Hei turned around and squinted at the fainted figures racing towards them. As the images enlarged, he recognized the leading man, Mung Wai Hung.

Upon their approach, Wai Hung brought the stallions to a halt, with the intrepid soldiers standing boldly behind him.

“What is it, Gong Zi?” asked on of his men.

“What are you doing here?” uttered Ming Hei with dissatisfaction imprinted in the glare of his eyes.

Wai Hung glanced at the little girl that stood behind Ming Hei who was looking at him curiously. “I came to retrieve the cure for Siu Lan,” answered Wai Hung ever so calmly.

“With your martial arts, that task seems impossible,” snickered Ming Hei.

“With another woman by your side, I do not believe that you are worthy enough for the task either! That surely shows your loyalty!”

“She’s my god sister and I have no reason to explain any further with you.”

“I’m retrieving it for her and that’s final!” said Wai Hung. “If you continue to block my path, I have no choice but to use force!”

Wai Hung and his men jumped off their stallions in unison, and unsheathed their swords, releasing an air of threat into the atmosphere.

Scared, Ying Ying instantly hid herself comfortably behind Ming Hei. “Over-confidence,” scoffed Ming Hei as he shook his head and smirked.

Before anything could have happened, a massive gust of wind blew into their faces, chilling their spines with fear and terror as the whirling notes played on a single piece leaf echoed in the vast ambiance. In the air, eight masked maidens who seemed to be in their early twenties dressed elegantly in an emerald green descended in a graceful manner as their clothing fluttered elegantly to the flow of the wind into a perfect line.

Captivated by the eight maidens, no one noticed that other young maiden dressed in a ruby red who glided over to a tall tree and listened in as she played with her hair.

“How dare you cause so much trouble outside the White Cloud Sect! Report your identity and reason to be here immediately!” roared one of the eight maidens with detestation as she step forward.

“I’m Mung Wai Hung of Luo Yang, and General Chan Gwok Ho is my uncle. I have come to retrieve the cure for the Dawn Drop Poison for a woman by the name of Tong Siu Lan,” said Wai Hung respectively.

The maiden in the tree seemed dazzled of into her own world, and continued playing with her hair.

“Five challenges will be needed to surpass in order for you to gain a cure of such rarity. If you are not up for the challenge, please turn back right now,” said the maiden, with a suddenly smoother and gentler tone upon knowing his identity.

“There will be no need. I believe in my powers,” said Wai Hung.

“And who are you? You must know that the challenges are hard, and that not even a man with a title in the martial world may be able to attain it,” said the maiden in that same gentle tone.

Wai Hung smirked. “He has no title,” added Wai Hung. The masked maiden stared into his charismatic face, and waited for a response as she admired his charm with interest.

Ming Hei swallowed the saliva in his mouth and spoke, “I’m Mok Ming Hei.”

The masked maidens instantly placed their attention on him and gazed with curiosity. The maiden instantly snapped out of her daydream and focused her attention on this man. The charming face of his has captivated her heart immediately. She felt like he had captured her soul. There was just something about him that made her admire him to greatly the moment she saw him.

“Liar! Your name is Ming Hei. You may use the White Warrior’s name, but the skills you acquire is no match compared to the great hero passed down through years and years of tales,” snapped Wai Hung.

“Mister, you may hold a handsome face that can attract a thousand beauties to your side, but the White Warrior’s name is not to be used like this. The White Warrior has returned to the martial world, and the consequences you might face when he finds out may be death,” warned the masked maiden.

“If you want to pretend to be someone, at least choose someone of a lower position,” Wai Hung smirked.

Not bothering to argue, Ming Hei flicked open his fan, allowing the words ‘the linking of two hearts allows all to be accomplished’ to shine brightly in its golden glow under the afternoon sky. The masked maidens gaped in awe as shock traveled through his body. Hung stared with disbelief. Even the maiden in the tree leaned forward to have a closer look. He was indeed he White Warrior and there was no doubt to it.

“White Warrior, please excuse us for our actions,” apologized the masked maiden as she dropped to one knee.

“Please excuse us or our actions,” added the other seven in unison as they dropped down to one knee.

“What are you doing? Please stand up! I have right to accept a gift like this,” said Ming Hei.

As the masked maidens stood up, the maiden in red that hid in the tree floated down gracefully before them as her long red dress flutter gracefully in the air. This mysterious woman’s eyes shone beautifully and powerfully under this afternoon sky. The attractiveness of that pair had the ability to captivate any man in this world and Ming Hei and Wai Hung could not be the last of the many who admired this red maiden’s grace and beauty. However, it was Siu Lan and Mei Yin that lied deep within Ming Hei’s heart.

“Master Gwun Yu,” greeted the masked maidens as they bow. This maiden in red was Bak Gwun Yu, the daughter of the White Cloud Sect’s leader, Bak Sing Ping.
    Last edited by kaiyi; 10-05-07 at 11:23 PM.

Thanks Kaiyi for the update.
    It was really a long wait so please do post another quick chapter please it is really getting very interesting.
    Will be waiting for it.

spidey - sorry for this long long wait. i've been busy with school and sports for the past month and a half. hope that you're still reading.

`

CHAPTER 29: The White Cloud Palace

Characters:
    Mung Wai Hing - Sammul Chan
    Bak Gwun Yu - Nancy Wu
    Bak Sing Ping - Ada Choi
    Shum Ying

`

Gwun Yu motioned her hands and the masked maidens stood up once again. “Welcome to the White Cloud Sect, White Warrior and Mister—whatever,” said Gwun Yu as she released a smile. She couldn’t remember his surname.

“Greetings—” stuttered Wai Hung, for he had no idea of who she was.

“Greetings Miss Bak Gwun Yu,” finished Ming Hei with sincerity.

“People have said that the White Warrior is a handsome young man able to attract many women to his side, and I believe that your face may just do it,” complimented Gwun Yu as she grinned seductively. Her flattering comment made him feel uncomfortable. His heart beat slightly increased as he replied with a faint smile. “May I ask for your reason for his arrival?” asked Gwun Yu as she walked up to him. That supremacy she held within her eyes was just so unique and unusual that there could just not be who could resist staring into them.

“To retrieve the Dawn Drop Poison’s cure,” responded Ming Hei as he constantly pinched himself to snap himself out.

“Dawn Drop Poison’s cure?” reiterated Gwun Yu as she glanced over at Wai Hung, who seemed completely dazzled by her unique and enchanting appearance. Seeing his reddening face, Gwun Yu smirked. “For whom is this cure for?” she asked Ming Hei.

“Tong Siu Lan.”

“Same woman as this man I see?”

“Yes.”

“Is one maiden really worth you risking your life for? What relationships do you have with her?”

Pausing for a second, Ming Hei answered assertively as he glared into Wai Hung’s eyes, “She’s my wife.”

Surprised, Gwun Yu circled him, examining him from head to toe. “Who would have known that the great White Warrior is married already?” Leaning towards his face, her mesmerizing eyes speeded up his heart once again. “Don’t you think it’s a little early for you? I mean, I’m sure there are many little ladies out there who would want to play with you.”

Shocked by her disturbing stately, Ming Hei backed off from her. He didn’t like her. “Miss Bak, I am here to retrieve the cure and that is all I’m here for. I don’t have much time left, please allow me to enter and pass all the challenges as soon as possible.”

Gwun Yu glided backwards and sat gracefully in a silver chair the emerald maidens brought out. “You really are a loyal man aren’t you? People like you are hard to find these days. I would really like to see how this Tong Siu Lan looks like to get attracted to you like this,” said Gwun Yu. “Now, first things first. The Dawn Drop Poison’s cure is extremely rare. To make the cure, we would need to get our hands on the Dawn Drop Flower, a flower hardly seen on the face of the earth, a flower so sensitive that it can not survive in our palace. We only have two bottles of cure for that poison left right now, and we must keep at least one sample of it. With this being for the same person and us having only one bottle to offer, I will only allow one person in to try these challenges we have to offer. And to decide whom his person is, you two will need to fight first. Do you accept? ”

Glancing at each other, the two said in unison, “We accept.”

“But, there is no nessecity in this case,” added Gwun Yu. Ming Hei and Wai Hung stared confusedly at her. “There is no doubt in the White Warrior winning this battle; therefore, you can just proceed Mr. Mok.”

“That is just unjust! How can you underestimate my powers like that?” complained Wai Hung in a whiney voice.

“Unjust? The White Cloud Sect is never unjust. Your uncle may be powerful, but his power is nothing in the martial world. Do you think that the Ching Sum Kuet’s power can be weaker than what your uncles knows? If he’s any more powerful, why he has failed so many times to steal the Ching Sum Kuet? Why does the world seek the Ching Sum Kuet while no one hunts your uncle down for your family’s martial arts? Mung Wai Hung, at least gain the knowledge of your opponent’s background before you challenge them,” barked Gwun Yu as if these sentences were arrows, and each and every one pierced into his heart. “Mok Ming Hei, there is no need to worry, for our sect is in no need of martial arts. We will not steal people’s martial ars for no reason like those pitiful sects out there that crave for power they know they will never get. We are the trusted in the martial world.”

“Miss Bak, at least give me a chance to try. Losing without even putting in any effort is purely stupid!” nagged Wai Hung.

Gwun Yu examined her red fingernails playfully as if she wasn’t paying attention. “Hmm, I’m in a good mood today, so I’ll give you a chance. With the rumors I’ve heard all these years about the Ching Sum Kuet being unbelievably powerful, I would surely like to see it with my own eyes. Remember, no death is needed upon our ground. Hold back your weapons before you take each other’s lives,” said Gwun Yu as she kicked her legs gently back and forth.

“Miss Bak, I don’t understand. Why must everything be solved by the fist? Does the word of our mouths mean nothing? What’s wrong with you people?” queried Ming Hei.

His innocence made her giggle. “You really are an amateur, aren’t you? Your father would have never responded like that. Our hands can kill and take power, and our mouths cannot do more than hurt one’s self esteem and anger their adversary, which leads to the fist. In the martial world, it’s either that you live and I die or the other way around. If you still want to retrieve the cure, this is your first challenge.”

“But—”

“There is no need to talk!” interrupted Wai Hung as he drew out his sword and aimed it down towards Ming Hei’s head. Reacting quickly, Ming Hei pulled out his flute and blocked it. Pushing the sword back towards him, Wai Hung flew backwards without control. Ying Ying quickly ran behind a tree to hide.

“Wai Hung! Stop it!” shouted Ming Hei. He did not listen. Once he gained balance, he charged towards Ming Hei once more and swiped his sword horizontally across his hip. Ming Hei shifted a little to the left as he glided Wai Hung’s sword off to the side. Seeing that flame of anger within Wai Hung’s eyes that would not disperse until he loses, Ming Hei decided to hold a real battle just to get this done with. Holding his flute out with his right food forward, he announced forcefully, “If you really want a really match, come on!” Hearing this, Wai Hung charged forward and a series of attacks were exchanged.

Gwun Yu was unimpressed. It shouldn’t take the White Warrior this long to beat anyone of this level. “Mok Ming Hei, show us your real power. These simple fighting techniques cannot truly be all the Ching Sum Kuet is,” added Gwun Yu, hoping that she’s here for something worth her while. Angered by her implications of him being simple with his techniques, a rush of energy caused Wai Hung to attack frantically without control. At the right moment, Ming Hei aimed a palm right onto his chest, casting at least 8 meters away. Ming Hei glanced at Bak Gwun Yu. Seeing his eyes, she waved her hands and smiled. Taking this moment and distance apart, Ming Hei brought his flute to his mouth. A gentle and beautiful tune instantly emerged. He has never used the power of the flute in any battle before, but a simple battle like this is one worth trying something new at. Wai Hung’s soldiers quickly rushed over to help him up. Refusing their help, Wai Hung commanded them to stay on the side and watch him win. Slowly getting up, he stared at Ming Hei confusedly, for he had no idea about what he was doing. Who on earth will be in the mood to play music during a match like this? Gwun Yu too, was confused. How on earth does he have the desire to play music at this point? Slowly, the gentle tune he blew captivated the mindset of the whole crowd. Then, that gentle turn turned into a fast and furious tune as the wind whirled up and the sky begins to darken. Soon, a whirl of leaves circled around Ming Hei as if a tornado was forming with him being trapped inside. Gwun Yu and Wai Hung stared with unbelieving eyes, even Ying Ying perched out from behind the tree to see. The Ching Sum Kuet really wasn’t simple. A sudden high pitched sound roared the atmosphere and the leaves instantly charged towards Wai Hung at an incredible pace. Wai Hung’s eyes widened with terror. He cannot possible dodge this extreme attack. A split second before it touched him, Ming Hei blew another sharp note and the leaves dropped right onto the ground as if nothing happened. Beads of sweat trickled down Wai Hung’s face as he panicked heavily. He lost. Gwun Yu clapped as she walked over to Ming Hei.

“Very impressive. I see why they say the Ching Sum Kuet is unbelievable now. Mung Gong Zi, I’m sure that you have lost without any feelings of me being unjust, am I right?” Gwun Yu spoke.

Gathering himself, Wai Hung stood up and said. “You are right. I have lost.”

“I’m sure Ming Hei right here will be able to retrieve the cure. Please leave.” Her nonchalant tone made him feel weak and useless.

Wai Hung swallowed the saliva in his mouth and walked away with his soldiers. He still couldn’t bear the fact that Ming Hei was the White Warrior. All this time, he had thought he was nobody, and then he was somebody, somebody so much greater than he could have imagined.

“Was your return into the martial world just for this one girl?” asked Gwun Yu out of curiosity.

“Yes. After retrieving her poison, I’m done,” answered Ming Hei.

“You think it’s this easy to leave the martial world once you stepped in? This especially applies for a person someone of such status? You are too naïve. This entrance may be simple, but the exit will be hard. Your family has never left the martial world in the first place. Otherwise, why were you all hunted down all these years? Why was the death of your parents brought upon?” Ming Hei did not answer. “No one in the martial world has forgotten about the White Warrior. The powers he holds are just too powerful. Now, who is this little girl?” Gwun Yu pointed to Ying Ying behind the tree.

Ying Ying stared at Gwun Yu curiously and walked out. “My name is Shum Ying, but you can call me Ying Ying. I’m thirteen and I’m her god sister,” introduced Ying Ying bravely. She wasn’t afraid at all.

Gwun Yu walked over to the girl. “Hi Ying Ying, I’m Bak Gwun Yu. I’m twenty this year and I’m the second leader of the White Cloud Sect,” she softly to the girl.

“I know. I heard you and Brother Mok talking,” answered Ying Ying.

“You are a brave girl aren’t you?” Gwun Yu smiled to her innocent eyes.

“Ying Ying, come over here,” commanded Ming Hei. Ying Ying walked over by his side obediently.

“Mister Mok, please follow me up the mountain. You’ve won the privilege of being a first class guest.”

“Thank you,” said Ming Hei as they started walking. However, the eight masked maidens in emerald green stayed where they were. “Who are the eight masked maidens dressed in emerald green?” asked Ming Hei out of curiosity.

“They are known as the Green Leaf Maidens, the guardians of our palace. In order to enter, you will have to persuade them first. They usually have many tricks for the visitors, but maybe your face has captivated them to not do anything to you,” teased Gwun Yu. Ming Hei doesn’t feel comfortable around this place. His heart raced faster the higher they went. On the utmost point, a beautiful manor built with white marble stood tall and proud. The words ‘White Cloud Sect’ was print bold and big across the entrance in gold. Gwun Yu took out a piece of leave and blew two notes into it. The doors swung open as four maidens in pink and white clothing greeted her. “Master Gwun Yu.”

Gwun Yu walked in as Ming Hei and Ying Ying followed. The doors closed behind them. “Lead these two guests of ours to their guest rooms, one for each of them. Class one.” commanded Gwun Yu.

“Yes Master Gwun Yu,” replied the maidens. Crossing many beautiful ponds and bridges that were surrounded with flowers and trees, they’ve finally reached their rooms, where the pink maidens left them. Inside the room, the bed was covered with a beautiful silver colored silk bed sheet. On the white walls, a few beautiful landscape paintings hung. This place surely was beautiful and unique, and not to mention, odd.

As Ming Hei and Ying Ying rested in their rooms, news about man with a distinguished aura and face entering the palace quickly scattered. In another room of this beautiful palace, a beautiful lady at her late twenties dressed elegantly in a long black dress with balck nail polish sitting in a golden chair drinking tea. The red lipstick on her lips, the sparkles on the edge of the eyes, and the beautiful hair ornaments in her hair carried out her beauty. Besides her stood two graceful young maidens dressed in light purple waiting for her command. Gwun Yu entered the room.

“Mother,” greeted Gwun Yu. She was Bak Sing Ping, one of the four legendary beauties of the past that was able to hold her beauty today and remain on that list. She looked like she was in her late twenties, but she was actually forty-four. How did she keep her beauty? No one knows. She glanced at her daughter as placed down her cup of tea down.

“What is it?” asked Sing Ping in an authoritative and sharp tone.

“One man has came to retrieve the Dawn Drop Poison’s cure,” reported Gwun Yu.

“Dawn Drop Poison’s cure? We only have two bottles of that left, and you know that we can only give one away. Who is he?”

“Mok Ming Hei, the White Warrior.” The name instantly grasped Sing Ping’s full attention.

“Mok Ming Hei? So the rumors in the martial world are true. The White Warrior really has returned. For what reason?” Sing Ping inquired.

“His wife.”

“His wife? Who would know that the White Warrior is already married? That’s such a waste of a handsome young man, and such a heartbreaker for all those women out there. The White Warrior is no good man though. Falling for more than one woman at the same time proves his loyalty. His father did it, and it’s no oddity that he will too. One like that does not deserve the cure.”

“Mother, you know that’s just the generalization of him in the world, but who actually knows the complete truth? He may love more than one person, but you know that he loves them all equally and will have them in his heart forever. You know it’s hard to resist what fate has prepared for you. He’s not what the world describes him as.”

Glaring at her daughter, she questioned, “You didn’t fall for that man too, did you?”

Gwun Yu answered with no hesitation, “No, but if you just saw him, you see what he really seeks for by the way he looks at one, and what he seeks for is not what all those perverted men out there seeks. You’ll see what kind of person he is as he passes the fourth challenge.” She then walked out of the room, closing the doors shut.

Picking up her cup of tea, she rubbed the rim of the ceramic. “She’s fallen for him, like any other woman out there would,” she whispered to herself.

whoa! i missed a chapter! anyways love the last two chapter, but wondering why Ming Hei would waste time fighting with Wai Sun when Siu Lan need the cure asap. he should've just finished Wai Sun off. & omg Wai Sun is sooooo annoying! I dislike him more and more each day xD Can't he see that the girl got a husband who's 1000x better than him in martial arts. Why is he still so persistent... MOVE ON DAMMNIT! hahaha xD anyways, update soon!

ps. you said you're gonna send me a paper to edit, but i never received it xD
    www.winglin.net/fanfic/Emilyy8 [Raymond Lam, Bosco Wong, Ron Ng]

www.winglin.net/fanfic/Emilyy5 [oneshots]