Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review : Lovers - The third of Lovers series

Smile Review : Lovers - The third of Lovers series

Title : Lovers
    Synopse : This third installment of Lovers series has a gangster sub-boss and a clumsy plastic surgeon falling in love, well in China this time.
    Cast : Yun Mijoo - Kim Jung Eun
    Ha Gangje - Lee Seo Jin
    Park Yujin - Kim Gyu Ri
    Kang Seoyun - Jung Chan

Impression :

Ha Ganje is a man with a birth secret; he is the hidden son of his own boss. The boss assigns Ha Ganje the job of taking over a construction company because he doesn't want his sons(illegimate Ganje and legitmate Seoyun) to be gangsters like himself, and wants to give them a legitmate future by making them run a construction company. In the process Gangje is stabbed by an unknown man and is saved by Mijoo at a remote island, and their relationship begins. But Ganje has a pregnant live-in girlfriend while Mijoo is a future bride candidate of Seoyun, the boss's legitmate son. So the love quadangle begins.

Coming after the dissapointing Lovers in Prague, the third installment is a much much better show, reminding the importance of lead actress Kim Jung Eun's presence in the show to make the magic happen. The plot line is more interesting, as the gangster sub-boss Ha Ganje has to make a choice between his faithful pregnant live-in girlfriend Yujin and his true love, Mijoo. This choice is made much more difficult because Yujin isn't an evil character; dumping one's own pregnant girlfriend isn't acceptable even in the gangster world and represents a moral dilemma for Gangje. Of course this problem is solved when Yujin miscarries, but is Gangje and Mijoo's love justifiable??

This is the best of Lovers trilogy. Recommended.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Thank you for starting this thread. I've been following this series week to week & it has been driving crazy waiting for new episodes. I agree with you that this is the best of Lovers trilogy.

I've been a fan of Lee Seo Jin since "Fire Bird", and he's exceptionally good as a suave "bad ***" gangster in here.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe
    but is Gangje and Mijoo's love justifiable??
    Absolutely! You can never "justify" love. Love is love! The only thing I fear is a sad ending. I hope I won't be dissappointed.

Intrigued by your review, I started watching Lovers and it seems superior to Lovers in Paris which was terribly cliche. I never bothered to watch Lovers in Prague but I don't suppose I missed much.

I'm only at episode 4, and what is interesting here is the characterisation and the family in-fighting - jealousy, envy, greed, manipulation, animosity, resentment, yearning, which lends a greater depth to this drama than the first installment.
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 01-01-07 at 03:12 AM.

Kim Gyu Ri seems to be sleepwalking through her role. It's tiresome seeing her character, Yujin, look woeful or depressed most of the time and it certainly doesn't help that her range of expressions are so limited that it looks like its the same repertoire all over again every alternate episode. She isn't going to win any sympathy from me when her man is finally won over by Mi-Joo.

I get the feeling that the ending won't be a happy one even though I'm not even halfway through the drama probably because the songs and that website image of Gangje and Mi-joo in an embrace convey a gloomy, pensive air that leads me to think that while theirs is an encounter that transforms each other; is filled with love, yearning and a myraid of other emotions; ultimately they can't or won't choose to be together. Then again, I might be wrong?!?

Thumbs up Lovers is great

Yes, I agree that Lovers is the best of the trilogy. I've been watching it at youtube, ep 1 with eng sub. The others, uploaded by another kind soul has only chinese sub & I can't read chinese. But watching the expressions, actions and catching a few words in korean, can tell that this one is very good, quite different from the usual.

While the heroine & hero are not so eye-candy like those in MY GIRL or PRINCESS HOURS, their great chemistry and acting take the drama way high above the usual. I really love the hero coz of his rugged looks and dimples.

Does anyone know if the drama has ended its screening in Korea? How many eps? Coz I've seen in youtube till ep 16 and it doesn't seem to be ending as yet.
    I'm just praying hard some kind soul will put up the other eps with eng sub in youtube or I've to wait for the dvd/vcd to be out.

Quote Originally Posted by lysander007
    Does anyone know if the drama has ended its screening in Korea? How many eps? Coz I've seen in youtube till ep 16 and it doesn't seem to be ending as yet.
    I'm just praying hard some kind soul will put up the other eps with eng sub in youtube or I've to wait for the dvd/vcd to be out.
    It has 20 episodes, and should end this week since it started screening on Nov 8.

Default 20 eps!

Oh ya!Great, that means it won't be draggy.... I'm hoping for a happy ending

It was apparently ep17 tonight so it's one more week to the end. So far it's going well for our lovers but I guess we can trust Nam to stir quite a lot more trouble.

I just finished watching ep9 and it really cracked me up to watch Gangje's men serenade him. I love the camaderie between him and his two assistants. Seoyun's quite a pitiful, lonely person in comparison.

Well, there's a happy ending. Not the kind of fairy-tale like happy ever after but at least they didn't kill Gangje off. There were other deaths though. The conclusion was heart-rending and although some people would have like to see a more definite closure, it was an acceptable and reasonable ending.

I'm in the middle of ep14 now and it is a complete mess. The quadrangular relationship, that is. Till ep12, I had actually enjoyed the interactions bewteen Gangje and Mijoo but now they have devolved into irrational creatures who hurt those who love them by their selfish, and perhaps, self-righteous actions. Mijoo has become an emotional wreck much like Yujin, except that the latter is finally finding some gumption, albeit belatedly. Doesn't all this sound familiar?

But I still like Gangje - the conflicting emotions he has as he battles his attraction for Mijoo and his sense of obligation and duty to Yujin...the confused notions and cold behaviour he displays having grown up knowning little familial love and warmth.

Hello everybody! I'm new.....

I just had to write about "Lovers" because it's my absolute favourite Kdrama!
    I've seen quite a few Kdramas, and I liked some of them, but this one is just stunning.
    It is different, it is mature, the humor throughout is witty and the actors were very,very good and gorgeous. Yes, they are not the "supermodel" type but they have something special, the great chemistry between them, that just makes them much more attractive than others.
    And I have to comment also about the kissing scenes. Like in the majority of korean dramas kissing scenes are rare or just "embarrasing" looking but in "Lovers"I've seen the hottest kissing scene ever!!! Really passionate! I was quite surprised.

I'm waiting to see what other dramas/movies Lee Seo Jin is making because so far I loved all his work (Damo, Phoenix/Firebird,Freeze, Shadowless sword). Even if he's not the handsomest or the youngest actor ,he's the most versatile in my opinion.

Highly Recommended!

can't wait to start this drama!

Does anyone know when the dvd will be out?
    I will buy this one for sure!

no eye candy actors in this drama.

Found Kim Jung Eun to look too mature, esp with her short hair and Lee Seo Jin to be too "stone".

Have to agree that the kissing scene is hot...from the front door to the bedroom...

[QUOTE=crisdrag]
    I'm waiting to see what other dramas/movies Lee Seo Jin is making because so far I loved all his work (Damo, Phoenix/Firebird,Freeze, Shadowless sword). Even if he's not the handsomest or the youngest actor ,he's the most versatile in my opinion.

[QUOTE]

he was in Since we Last Met. Very nice!

didn't really like the story line.

In real life, Gangje would be deemed as heartless for falling for another woman while the current girlfriend was pregnant. And Mijoo would be the third party?

According to press report, Lee Seo Jin and Kim Jung Eun are dating

Quote Originally Posted by starcandy
    didn't really like the story line.

In real life, Gangje would be deemed as heartless for falling for another woman while the current girlfriend was pregnant. And Mijoo would be the third party?

hee.. we have the same thoughts, me too dislike this type of story line, always fall for another person and leave the current girl friend, just like MNIKSS, Terms of endearment, Super Rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe
    According to press report, Lee Seo Jin and Kim Jung Eun are dating
    Look at that!!! Well, I'm not totally surprised that they are dating because they were too familiar with each other behind the scenes and in the drama they had a chemistry that was too obvious.
    Plus, they are both very funny,similar sence of humor it seems.

Are they considered top actors in Korea? or they are not that famous.....

[QUOTE=starcandy][QUOTE=crisdrag]

he was in Since we Last Met. Very nice!

Thanks Starcandy!
    This seems to be an older drama.
    There is not on dvd here in America,I hope to find it somewere because I want to see it.
    Is it good? is someone sick in it?
    That's the only thing I don't like to watch in dramas,when someone suffers from an incurable disease.....