Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Actresses WITHOUT English names

Default Actresses WITHOUT English names

I was just wondering, which actresses DON'T have English names? Most of them do...especially the Taiwanese and HK ones....
    The only one I can think of is Shu Chang, don't think she has an English name...
    ~redfirefly124
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

Quote Originally Posted by redfirefly124
    I was just wondering, which actresses DON'T have English names? Most of them do...especially the Taiwanese and HK ones....
    The only one I can think of is Shu Chang, don't think she has an English name...
    ~redfirefly124
    Shu Chang is a mainland actress. Most mainland actresses do not have an English name and a couple of Taiwanese ones as well.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Zhang Ziyi, Fan Bing Bing, Gao Yuan Yuan, Shui Ling, and Chen Hao, to name a few.

Many Mainland Chinese/Korean/Japanese actresses don't have English names. In fact, Liu Tao is one of the few Mainland actresses with an English name.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

There are a lot...Gao Yuanyuan, for one. Another one I can think of off the top of my head is Shu Qi. All the TVB actresses have English names though.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Zhang Ziyi, Fan Bing Bing, Gao Yuan Yuan, Shui Ling, and Chen Hao, to name a few.

Many Mainland Chinese/Korean/Japanese actresses don't have English names. In fact, Liu Tao is one of the few Mainland actresses with an English name.
    Liu Tao has an English name? What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by redfirefly124
    Liu Tao has an English name? What is it?
    It's Tamia.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    It's Tamia.
    Never knew that. Tamia. Interesting.

I'm surprised Zhang Ziyi hasn't chosen one, considering she's more well-known internationally than other Asian actresses, although she does go by "Ziyi Zhang"...neither does Gong Li, unless I don't know about their English names.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Some Mainland ones are starting to have them now, i.e. Angel Dong (Dong Jie), Zhao Wei (Vicki).

But other popular Mainland actresses include Sun Li, Xu Qing, Zhou Xun.

The easier question is probably--which Mainland actresses HAVE English names and which HK/Taiwanese ones do NOT have English names?

To answer that question, I actually don't know of any HK stars of the younger generation (that are well-known) w/o English names. Taiwanese-one I can think of is Xiao Qiang (unless she has one). Btw, what is Lin Zhi Ling's English name? I bet she has one considering she studied overseas, but she's never referred to it. Can't think of anyone else.

As for Mainland, besides Vicki, Liu Tao, and Angel Dong, can't think of more w/ English names.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    Some Mainland ones are starting to have them now, i.e. Angel Dong (Dong Jie), Zhao Wei (Vicki).

The easier question is probably--which Mainland actresses HAVE English names and which HK/Taiwanese ones do NOT have English names?

To answer that question, I actually don't know of any HK stars of the younger generation (that are well-known) w/o English names. Taiwanese-one I can think of is Xiao Qiang (unless she has one). Btw, what is Lin Zhi Ling's English name? I bet she has one considering she studied overseas, but she's never referred to it. Can't think of anyone else.

As for Mainland, besides Vicki, Liu Tao, and Angel Dong, can't think of more w/ English names.
    Taiwan: Xiao Qiang, Lin Zhiling, Xia Yu Qiao, Shu Qi, Zhang Ting
    Mainland with english names: Crystal LYF, Eva HSY, Betty HY
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

For Mainland, Zhou Xun's English name is Jue.
    Ohh...Tamia Liu Tao? That's an interesting name.
    ~redfirefly124

Jiang Xin and Yang Mi are also mainland actresses.
    Hi ya!!

Fancy Ady,adore Yang Mi, admire Jiang Xin, love Jimmy and dream about Hu Ge.
    Ruby Lin Forever!!!
    Gao Yuan Yuan is my Goddess!

Why do you think certain Asian actresses chose to have English names? With TVB actresses, I can understand, HK having been under British control for so long. Do you think it's possibly because they are looking for int'l fame?

That's probably the reason: international fame. Or maybe they want to make it easier for non-asian people to remember their names...

Another reason I can think of is that lots of oversea CBC's and ABC's come back to Taiwan and/or HK for a career, so they already have an English name. I think the more successful artists in Mainland are usually graduates of some film school.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning

Sun Li's english name is Betty

prolly mainland artistes are more 'protective' of their chinese names.. including an english name might seemed like they are attaching western value to the name given by their parents... conservative thinking.. but it's possible..
    力扬力扬,魅力飞扬
    祝力扬 & 栗亲们新年快乐, 万事如意!!~
    力扬加油, 栗子加油,加油,加油!!!!^o^

YAY, Federer WON!!!!~

Another actress from mainland (though she usually stars in Taiwanese serie and movies) w/o an English name is Yu Li. I like it, plain and simple.
    When I wake up in the morning I always remind myself to 'Seize the Day.'

Quote Originally Posted by loveshg
    Sun Li's english name is Betty
    Which Sun Li? The one from Jade Goddess or the other Sun Li from Book and Sword? I just remembered that Huang Yi's name is also Betty.

There's no point really to figuring out which Mainland actresses do NOT have English names--almost all of them don't except for the very few listed here.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow
    Shu Chang is a mainland actress. Most mainland actresses do not have an English name and a couple of Taiwanese ones as well.
    Well, Shu Chang do not have an english name, and her name is very sweet too...
    Drama Serial Maniac... The crazy one

lots of mainland actress don't have english name