View Poll Results: Is mushy-staff necessary for wuxia novels/adaptations?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's NECESSARY

20 58.82%
  • No, it ISN'T

3 8.82%
  • It DEPENDS

11 32.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is mushy stuff necessary for wuxia novels/adaptations?

Default Is mushy stuff necessary for wuxia novels/adaptations?

Generally I like romantic passages/scenes in wuxia novels/adaptations such as:
    - In Xiao Ao Jiang Hu: when Linghu Chong first saw the real face of Yingying beside the spring; when he talked to Yingying in the cave after rescueing her from Shaolin temple; when Yingying went to Hengshan sword school to save Linghu Chong from Dongfang's devilish plot.
    - In LOCH: several passages concerning Huang Rong and Guo Jing.
    - In DGSD: the passages describing the love between Xiao Feng and Ah Zhu.
    - In HSDS: the passages concerned with the love between Zhang Cuishan and Yin Susu; Zhang Wuji and Zhao Min.
    I know quite a few wuxia readers/viewers don't like those scenes, they think that those are too mushy.
    But I don't think so, IMO, romantic-stuff is integral to wuxia world. Without such romance, a work on wuxia would become very dry.

What do you think about romantic-stuff (or in other words: mushy-stuff) in a wuxia work? Necessary or Unnecessary?
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

I think it's necessary, otherwise it would probably be focused completely on the plot, and plots in wuxia series are usually very fast-paced and overwhelming and involve lots of fighting, bloodshed, suicide, revenge, etc. We need a break every now and then and see some fluff. ^^

of course it's necessary! if not, then most of the wuxia heros would be very lonely

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu1995
    of course it's necessary! if not, then most of the wuxia heros would be very lonely
    .....and you forgot to add boring!

I appreciate a good plot and good fighting. However, it's the romance that humanizes the characters. As the saying goes, “behind every great man is a great woman” so of course, the mushy stuffs matter. It’s important to see that it’s the woman that makes the man a better man.

As the saying goes eh? *looks down at signature*

Romance is essential to a hero's journey. It's a part of the theme. You have to have it, because everyone expects it.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    As the saying goes eh? *looks down at signature*

Romance is essential to a hero's journey. It's a part of the theme. You have to have it, because everyone expects it.
    haha...I'm curious to hear from the men's perspective. They may not agree with us women. Though, no guy responds yet!

What's a wuxia novel without some romance and comedy to even out the serious vengeance, tragedies, power struggles and etc?

Of course it's neccessary. Just the right sweetness just not too sweet. Romance and love is part of life, unless you're writing about monks and taoist and you know how boring that gets after a while.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I love mushy stuff. YG for teh win!

Some of the LUK SIU FUNG books did very well with very little mushy material. It was done lightly, without dwelling on it, and was largely offset by *wu* and the *xia*.

LUK SIU FUNG is a great antidote to ROCH-style mushy excess.

Default M*U*S*H

Despite being a hard-drinking, football-watching alpha-male, I think romance is essential to modern wuxia.

Any of my fellow hairy brethren who disagree should read 'Outlaws of the Marsh'. That is crude, 200-proof, balls-to-the-wall bloodthirsty violence - think 100 consecutive chapters of TLBB's Juxianzhuang massacre - occasionally interrupted by scenes of men admiring one another's macho prowess. It's the sort of book Xiao Feng would have enjoyed (before he met A'Zhu and became a sissie, of course), and to be honest, I think it's sorely missing the feminine touch.

On a side note, I was flipping through the 3rd edition of 'Shen Diao' the other day, and it looks like Jinyong has really pumped up the mush factor. In Chapter 13, for instance, Yang Guo and Xiaolongnu have a long discussion about how many times a day they think of each other. (I can hear Ken Cheng vomiting already.)

Without love, this world would have lost all its meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx
    Any of my fellow hairy brethren who disagree should read 'Outlaws of the Marsh'. That is crude, 200-proof, balls-to-the-wall bloodthirsty violence - think 100 consecutive chapters of TLBB's Juxianzhuang massacre - occasionally interrupted by scenes of men admiring one another's macho prowess. It's the sort of book Xiao Feng would have enjoyed (before he met A'Zhu and became a sissie, of course), and to be honest, I think it's sorely missing the feminine touch.
    I think u're mentioning the novel "The Water Margin" (Shui Hu) here. I dislike that book, even though it is one of the most famous Chinese classics.
    Killing, killing, killing and killing non-stop, that's nearly all that I've found in the book. I always feel so tired reading that kind of book.
    But I dislike excessively mushy books such as: Hong Lou Meng,... too.
    IMHO, a good wuxia work should have a balance between 2 factors "wuxia" and "romance".
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx
    You forgot to mention cannibalism, which is often featured after some violent scenes.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Romance is one of the most important parts of a wuxia novel

First of all, it is very interesting and of course appeals emotionally. Plus, romance is often what causes many of the conflicts in wuxia, and then with the conflicts, we can watch the hero show off his skills.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Mushy stuff is for women. Wuxia should put fire in a man's soul.

I think mushy scenes in wuxia are good. Especially if they involve Guo Jing and Huang Rong.
    I also agree with what Sparky said about romance causing conflicts, and watching the hero show off his skills.
    ~redfirefly124
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

Default Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Huang Rong
    But I dislike excessively mushy books such as: Hong Lou Meng,... too.
    Hmmm, I wouldn't call 'Hong Lou Meng' mushy. Despite Jinyong being a wuxia writer, I'd say he writes *far* mushier stuff than anything in 'Hong Lou Meng', and that's not even counting the Yang Guo / Xiaolongnu relationship.

Yeah, despite the reputation, HLM isn't that lovey-dovey. It's more about family feuds.

I know that it's one of the Fab Four of Chinese Classics. But I really can't stand the sloppy sentiments of Miss Lin Dayu, and the sissy guy Jia Baoyu. Er... I don't know what I should call Jia Baoyu, he or she?
    If thrown in DGSD, I bet Jia Baoyu would beat Duanyu in terms of womanishness. And Lin Dayu would beat Wang Yuyan too.
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。

That's why Baoyu was played by an actress dressed as a, well I suppose, man, in the mainland adaptation.