Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pet peeves -- got any weird ones?

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane
    Hmm.. I still think it has a lot to do with sex and attraction...
    My rule of thump is only to give up my seat for the benefit of disabled people, elderly people, pregnant women, or children; therefore, I have the same expectations of others. If a guy offers to give me his seat for no apparent reason, then I would have and done so in the past politely declined the seat to avert any advance attempts. Perhaps, this can be viewed as overeating, but I prefer to have limited contacts with strangers, and I feel that by accepting the seat one’s obligated to extend or acknowledge attentions from that person.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia
    My rule of thump is only to give up my seat for the benefit of disabled people, elderly people, pregnant women, or children; therefore, I have the same expectations of others. If a guy offers to give me his seat for no apparent reason, then I would have and done so in the past politely declined the seat to avert any advance attempts. Perhaps, this can be viewed as overeating, but I prefer to have limited contacts with strangers, and I feel that by accepting the seat one’s obligated to extend or acknowledge attentions from that person.
    Meh, when I"m tired, I don't think too much about these things, unless the guy who offered me the seat looks like he wants to make advances on me or seems overly suspicious. Sometimse, guys are just nice and they see that you're a girl and they offer you a seat. When I'm tired from school and lugging a 10 ton backpack, I don't bother thinking of gender roles and all that and just smile, say thank you, and take the seat haha. Call me selfish, but meh.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    Meh, when I"m tired, I don't think too much about these things, unless the guy who offered me the seat looks like he wants to make advances on me or seems overly suspicious. Sometimse, guys are just nice and they see that you're a girl and they offer you a seat. When I'm tired from school and lugging a 10 ton backpack, I don't bother thinking of gender roles and all that and just smile, say thank you, and take the seat haha. Call me selfish, but meh.
    yeah, and the guy would stand there looking at you and start making small talks, "what is ur name? do you go to school? what are you studying? how old are you? do you take the bus everyday? what kind of food do you like? may i have your number?" while u're freaking tired and just want to be left alone. but u can't be rude and asked the guy to leave u alone when he'd given up his seat for u. Bah, i don't want the damn seat!

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia
    yeah, and the guy would stand there looking at you and start making small talks, "what is ur name? do you go to school? what are you studying? how old are you? do you take the bus everyday? what kind of food do you like? may i have your number?" while u're freaking tired and just want to be left alone. but u can't be rude and asked the guy to leave u alone when he'd given up his seat for u. Bah, i don't want the damn seat!
    Lol, maybe I'm just not pretty as you BELLEmia then =P No guy has ever bothered me before after giving me a seat. I think they were just nice people who were either going to get off soon or felt like standing (some people actually do prefer standing, one of my friends hates to sit for some weird reason).

Exactly, bellamia. I grew up just 'naturally' doing such gentlemanly things. But as I got older, I started examining what I do and why and how it affects others. Then, I just realized it's probably more respectful to leave strangers alone and truly treat others as I would want to be treated. Unless I'm very young, very old, holding a baby or other tons of stuff in my hands, I don't expect anyone to give up their seat for me. Why should I give up my seat for a girl, unless I find her (or someone else who views my 'good deed') attractive? I certainly wouldn't do it for no reason for a strange guy.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://csc.ziyi.org/smilies/laugh.gif') @ pemberly! Maybe... $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://csc.ziyi.org/smilies/shrug.gif') $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://csc.ziyi.org/smilies/biggrin.gif')
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

days of the gentleman are gone I reckon. I don't think a guy will give up a seat for a girl unless she's hot and he wants to get her phone number.
    I still give my seat up to the worthy though. Pretty much anybody a generation above me or pregnant or disabled or carrying something big like a pram.

It would be good if more parents nowadays taught their kids to respect their elders too. I'm nearing mid 20's and some schoolkids give their seat up to me or other elders (in respect to the kids), but most kids don't.

anyway here's my list:
    1. The friend who disappears when it comes to their round to shout.
    2. When you're in a good mood and someone who's pms'ing comes around and pisses everyone else off.
    3. people who can give shit but can't take it.
    4. why vending machines don't take 5c coins.
    Last edited by KeongJai; 02-22-07 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai
    4. why vending machines don't take 5c coins.
    LOL! ^ that is a strange pet-peeve.

I just formed another pet-peeve today: it annoys me when people don’t dress appropriately according to the weather conditions. I just saw a girl earlier wearing flip-flop sandals and mini-skirt in negative Fahrenheit temperature. wth???
    Last edited by bellamia; 02-23-07 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai
    1. The friend who disappears when it comes to their round to shout.
    KeongJai, what does you first one mean? Is it an Aussie thing? Just curious..
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

LOL 5c in vending machines... yea... why didn't i think of that b4.. its annoying!

and about the inappropriate outdoor clothing -- that bugs me too. I hate seeing someone wear miniskirts and a thin blouse or something in winter.. it just doesn't make any sense and its obvious they are freezing their butts off too! I think its mostly girls -- for the sake of style they would sacrifice common sense
    oOoOObubblesOOoOo

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Jade
    People who shake their legs when they're sitting down
    LOL that is exactly the same pet peeve as this teacher I had a long time ago...he would bang on the desks of anyone who was doing it. In my humble opinion, some of us are more skittish and we could easily blame it on ADD.

I don't think I have any major pet peeves...stuff doesn't get to me very easily. I am a tad OCD though when it comes to things being neat and organized, except I'm not sure if I'm actually OCD about that, given the current condition of my room
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane
    KeongJai, what does you first one mean? Is it an Aussie thing? Just curious..
    It's just slang. "Shout" means to buy someone something - usually lunch or drinks.
    When at a pub with friends, usually 1 person will "shout" a round of alcohol (anything, but usually pints of beer or shots or something). Then then next guy buys another round etc etc until everyone's had enough.
    My first pet peeve is, there's usually a friend that when it's their turn to buy a round of drinks, said friend always disappears- nobody knows where, maybe the toilet, maybe talking outside on the phone, etc.

About the shaking legs thing:
    My mom doesn't like it when my sister does that because in the chinese observation -- it means the person will easily lose money??

why's he hiding in there? perve.

I was so grossed out by this today that I want to bring up this question. Can someone please tell me why some people do not like to flush used toilet tissue? I was at a Vietnamese market (Sieu Thi) earlier, and the stench upon entering the bathroom was nauseatingly appalling. I could not suppress the urge to throw up and made several gagging sounds. This only drew people’s attention, but I simply couldn’t help myself. I noticed there was a posing on the stall wall that states, “Please do not flush tissue paper in the toilet.” WTH, it is a common rule that you cannot discard feminine hygiene products in the toilet, but I have never heard of not discarding/flushing toilet paper. Of course, because of this policy, soiled tissues were overflowing in the trash bin onto the floor. At least, have the decency to provide a cover trash receptacle, so people are not subjected to other people’s craps. I have seen this policy in many places and I just simply don’t get it. It is so damn disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    I noticed there was a posing on the stall wall that states, “Please do not flush tissue paper in the toilet.” ... I have seen this policy in many places and I just simply don’t get it. It is so damn disgusting.
    Perhaps the sewage system isn't good, and the owners of the toilet are concerned that flushing paper through it might just block it up. So whenever I enter a toilet like that, I just do whatever I have to do, follow the instructions on disposal and get the heck out of there!

---

My pet peeve:
    People who don't apologise when faced squarely with the fact that they have clearly not done their part, e.g. not being prepared for meetings with the necessary information, and don't make any attempts to buck up in the next meeting/project. Major pain when their irresponsibility holds the whole department up, and wastes other people's time sitting down to work on something that can't be worked on in the first place.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Mine aren't weird:

Number 1 would be people not flushing or clogging public bathrooms with toilet paper. Be considerate of people who comes in after you gosh, it's gross.

My second one is people just starring at me to get my attention instead of speaking up.

This one I find really annoying people who think they need to know about other people's business when it doesn't affect them at all. Also people who think they know better on what you should be doing when it doesn't concern them.

Quote Originally Posted by sha*sha View Post
    observation -- it means the person will easily lose money??
    Yes i've heard about that b4. My sister's friend who is Chinese brought that to my attention because I like to shake me leg a lot when I'm sitting down. She said if I shake me leg like that I'm gonna lose money and I simply replied to her I don't have any money to lose.

Let's see my pet peeves:
    People who don't signal when they turn.
    People who drive slow on the freeway.
    People who tailgate.
    People who brake in front of you even though traffic is running smoothly.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhotastic View Post
    Let's see my pet peeves:
    People who tailgate.
    Ooooo, motoring peeves!
    My turn:
    People who rush in to overtake on the right (we drive on the left), then change their minds, slow down and suddenly rush over and overtake on the left!
    People who use the roundabout to make an illegal U-turn by driving in the wrong direction.
    People who take a short-cut by driving up the wrong side of the road to get to their destination.
    People who walk or cycle right in the middle of the road either in the right or wrong direction, as if the road belongs to their grandfathers and they can do as they please.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

I don't like it when all of the below happens at once:

-I have a full stomach after abundant food consumption

-I'm approaching a door

-At a distance of >= 20 feet away, some nice guy holds the door for me, waiting for me

-I have no choice but to rush forward to show my courtesy and gratefulness of him having held the door for me, but in doing so, I promptly set my stomach up for a cramp due to the rapid movements.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhotastic View Post
    Let's see my pet peeves:
    People who tailgate.
    You sir made my day. I was wondering if anybody has the same pet peeves as me until I read your post.

I'm always a cool headed guy but here are some things that really ticks me off:

1. Drivers who are inconsiderate of other people's safety like not making signals when turning, driving extremely fast and suddenly cutting lanes in a busy freeway like a jerk.

2. I'm not a saint, I am annoyed by people who drive way below the max speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs View Post
    You sir made my day. I was wondering if anybody has the same pet peeves as me until I read your post.

I'm always a cool headed guy but here are some things that really ticks me off:

1. Drivers who are inconsiderate of other people's safety like not making signals when turning, driving extremely fast and suddenly cutting lanes in a busy freeway like a jerk.

2. I'm not a saint, I am annoyed by people who drive way below the max speed limit.

I salute you, cause i'm the same.

More, i especially hate it when ppl who are slow hogging the right lane, esp. when i tried to make it hard to go to the right lane in order to go faster.
    (Left lane for you yanks.)

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control