Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did Gwok Jing become known in wulin as the "Eagle-Shooting Hero?"

Default How did Gwok Jing become known in wulin as the "Eagle-Shooting Hero?"

One of the highlights of Gwok Jing's youth in Mongolia was when he famously shot down two condors/eagles with a single arrow, thus giving his story the title LEGEND OF THE EAGLE-SHOOTING HERO (aka LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES). It was a feat witnessed by Mongolia's royal family and generals, and made Gwok Jing something of a legend in Mongolia.

Nobody in the Chinese wulin ever saw him do this, however. Gwok Jing did this long before he entered wulin. Nevertheless, by the time of ROCH, Gwok Jing was widely known as the "Eagle-Shooting Hero." How would people in Chinese wulin even know about Gwok Jing's eagle-shooting exploits? They didn't talk to Mongolians, and it's doubtful that Gwok Jing went around bragging about his archery skills to people he met in wulin. As much as it was a highlight of Gwok Jing's youth, the eagle-shooting incident would probably not have been known to wulin people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Nevertheless, by the time of ROCH, Gwok Jing was widely known as the "Eagle-Shooting Hero."
    No he wasn't. He was known as "Guo daxia".
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    No he wasn't. He was known as "Guo daxia".
    There were some who referred to him as the "Eagle-Shooting Hero" (i.e. "Seh Diu Dai Hup") too, weren't there?

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

most probably he told HR and she told someone else and the story spread. GJ's acharey skills were top notch and he probably got the name from that.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    There were some who referred to him as the "Eagle-Shooting Hero" (i.e. "Seh Diu Dai Hup") too, weren't there?
    There wasn't any, unless I'm getting old. Must be a TVB thing. There was never any mention of She Diao Ying Xiong at all in ROCH and HSDS.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

There wasn't any, unless I'm getting old. Must be a TVB thing. There was never any mention of She Diao Ying Xiong at all in ROCH and HSDS.
    Unless we both are getting old, but I also did not remember them refer to Guo Jing as eagle shooting hero. He has always been known as Hero Guo.

Must be a TVB thing.
    There was indeed a brief reference to Gwok Jing by that title (from the mouth of Fok Do) in ROCH '95, but I've also seen/heard it in at least one other medium (i.e. not television).

Maybe the Quanzhen priest Ma Yu was aware of his Mongolian nickname and passed it on to other people.

I don't recall anyone referring to him by that title anywhere in LOCH and ROCH. Can you point out a reference?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    I don't recall anyone referring to him by that title anywhere in LOCH and ROCH. Can you point out a reference?
    One in ROCH '95, and at least one more somewhere else (don't remember exactly where, but it wasn't TV...it was some other medium).

One in ROCH '95,
    Hmm.....is Ken Cheng finally watched the newer versions of Jin YOng series?

WOW...the world has changed!!!!!

GJ was not known at all in the Sung as the Eagle Shooting Hero. Even in Mongolia, he was known for being Genghis Khan's former Lt. General and future son-in-law. Shooting those eagles (or condors or whatever the hell those damn boids were) was not a big deal. Mongols shoot those things all the time.

In any event, it's extremely unlikely that GJ or anyone else would be spreading stories about him being the "eagle shooting hero." GJ was trying to distance himself, if anything, from his Mongol roots. If anyone wanted to brand GJ the "ES Hero," it would be the Mongols looking to plant doubts in Sung people's minds about GJ's loyalty, and even if they did try to spread such doubts, they'd make much better cases by referencing his military service and his ties to Ghenghis Khan.

Mentioning GJ's past hunting feats would be akin to singing praises about Babe Ruth once bowling a 190 in High School.
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by QF
    Hmm.....is Ken Cheng finally watched the newer versions of Jin YOng series?

WOW...the world has changed!!!!!
    Nothing's changed. I caught five minutes of ROCH '95 about ten years ago and still remember that scene, that's all.

Five minutes was all I needed to affirm that I didn't want anything to do with the remakes.

If it was just Fok Do then it might not be surprising since he is a Mongolian - but this hardly makes it "widely known". I think your memory is playing tricks on you.

You're getting old, my dear Ken.

I think in the novel Huodu only mentions the military and engagement thing. Could be TVB's patented "artistic" liberty again, though I cannot swear on this one as I don't recall exactly this detail of the novel.
    If Huodu did mention the hunting thing, it's rather silly to make a big deal out of shooting a couple of eagles when there are better ways to get under GJ's skin, namely his Mongol military accomplishments and engagement to Huazheng.
    This account is retired.

Being called the Golden Sabre Prince would do more damaged to Guo Jing than Eagle Shooting Hero.

Being called the Golden Sabre Prince would do more damaged to Guo Jing than Eagle Shooting Hero.
    Apparently not according to our brilliant friends at TVB. If this can be traced back to them, yet again.
    This account is retired.

Isn't that what most Mongolians (except Genghis Khan and his sons and daughter) called him anyway, out of respect or with the intention of making him "their man" and alienating him from the Sungs?

Isn't that what most Mongolians (except Genghis Khan and his sons and daughter) called him anyway, out of respect or with the intention of making him "their man" and alienating him from the Sungs?
    TVB got that right in LOCH83. They consistently called him Jin Dao Fu Ma thru the show.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!