Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: simple jinyong game i created

Default simple jinyong game i created

hi all jinyong fans,

i burned 2 full weekends to write a simple text-based jinyong fighting program - hybrid of neopets, championship manager and mud

Its purely logic at the moment. Nothing fancy yet...

The worst problem is to get the english right... maybe with some chinese text or graphics will help.

Any help, feedback or comments appreciated.

visit http://jinyong.sitecritic.net

OMG!!! How did you make this? Looks like fun...
    My feedback: maybe try a differen't font and layout. More color and graphics will help, you're right.
    ~redfirefly124
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

Looks very interesting.
    My suggestion is to create a story with branches of options and fights along the way. Similar to the old game books (Lone Wolf, etc).

Also, this will be good for the GJ VS YG debaters. They can finally see who will win. BTW GJ seems to have better statistics.

basic java or what language? very nice though!

Hey, I won using Yi Deng. His invisible sword skill seems to create tons of damage in the 40 to 50 point range.

And YG was owned by GJ

Is effectiveness in attacking certain parts of the body differ by skill and opponents? Similarly is effectiveness of the various skills differ by opponents? Or are they just random at the moment? (ie: is there any reason why I should choose wudang sword vs wudang palm?)
    Last edited by Single Whip; 01-02-07 at 02:40 PM.

I won using Huang Rong....had to go against Hong Qi Gong, Lin Chao Ying, and Huang Yao Shi.
    hu ge, yang mi, yuan hong, liu shishi.
    wang luodan, li guangjie.

Played it twice, both times with Huang Rong...first time lost at the final round, the second time I won.

Very funny what opponents Huang Rong faced the second time around...I think I got Guo Xiang and Guo Jing! HR beat Guo Xiang easily; after all, a daughter shouldn't beat her mother in battle
    Last edited by Sparky; 01-02-07 at 09:34 PM.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

THanks for the nice feedback, i will improve on it again today. The backend engine is the one that drives me crazy... I had to create an AI that knows how to fight you... kinda tough.

"Is effectiveness in attacking certain parts of the body differ by skill and opponents?"

no but good idea though. we can make it such that some skills are better at attacking certain parts of the body. but hitting some parts cause higher damage but harder to hit.

" Similarly is effectiveness of the various skills differ by opponents? Or are they just random at the moment? (ie: is there any reason why I should choose wudang sword vs wudang palm?)"

There are random elements but most importantly is fighting tactics and basic stats of the character. wudand sword and wudang palm differs in damage and hence use different inner strength and stamina. sword causes more damage but use more inner strength. when your inner strength is low and still want to attack, palm is the way to go.

"My suggestion is to create a story with branches of options and fights along the way. Similar to the old game books (Lone Wolf, etc)."

wow interesting but I cant do that alone.

"Hey, I won using Yi Deng. His invisible sword skill seems to create tons of damage in the 40 to 50 point range."

yeah, liu mai shen jian is supposed to be powerful.. but i am not sure yi deng knows it!! haha

"Also, this will be good for the GJ VS YG debaters. They can finally see who will win. BTW GJ seems to have better statistics."

not really, YG intelligence is esp higher, and that means alot during fighting. I would say they are about equal, I guess it would be luck and tactics that determine the winner.

cheers,
    bp
    Last edited by bpeh123; 01-02-07 at 07:38 PM.

OMG! this is funny, i picked XLN and my opponent was YG!!!!!!!!!!!!

XLN beats YG! she hits him so many times when his attacks completely misses XLN!!!!

i love this game..

haha, hope it entertains.. xln speed is good, her chance of hitting and dodging should be good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeh123
    haha, hope it entertains.. xln speed is good, her chance of hitting and dodging should be good as well.

yeah, i beated most of my opponents with xln, so far i've only lost to zsf

This is so easy. I beat everyone with Guo Jing in one try.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu1995
    OMG! this is funny, i picked XLN and my opponent was YG!!!!!!!!!!!!

XLN beats YG! she hits him so many times when his attacks completely misses XLN!!!!

i love this game..
    Gwok Jing had similar problems with his daughter Gwok Seung in one simulation I found myself in. I think this program has rudimentary A.I.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Gwok Jing had similar problems with his daughter Gwok Seung in one simulation I found myself in. I think this program has rudimentary A.I.

yeah, i was YG for the last round. when i came up against XLN i wanted to see what would happen if i defended and not attack. it took over 20 moves because XLN didn't really injure YG, and most of the times she was 'blocking' his attacks while YG was not attacking. so i think YG and XLN won't really hurt each other?

thanks for the feedback. I'll fix the AI later.. just to get the whole thing going first. just created a ranking ladder http://jinyong.sitecritic.net/rankings.php

Funny, I've just defeated Reverend Yideng, Xiao Long Nu, Zhang Wuji and Zhang Sanfeng to become the champion ^.^.
    Wow, Zhang Sanfeng was really one of the toughest opponents, I had only 2 HP left after I beat him.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Hong 7 Gong misses alot...

Can I request for SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan to be in the character list?

And Sweeper Monk .... (1000 in all stats).
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

hi,

updated the AI abit and chinese support, hopefully it is more challenging now. also added a character page at http://jinyong.sitecritic.net/all_char.php - hope that the info is correct.

i probably need images...not sure if anyone knows any good resource for jinyong char images.. hopefully i need not worry about copyright. i am a programmer, any design help would be greatly appreciated. I will have a credit page where i put in the name and links to all helpers.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Can I request for SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan to be in the character list?

And Sweeper Monk .... (1000 in all stats).
    thanks for the suggestion. may be it is a good idea to include some other chars from other novels. (I am thinking of tian long ba bu. a battle between guo jing and xiao feng would be great) I am totally burned out now...
    Last edited by bpeh123; 01-03-07 at 08:37 AM.