Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beggar's Union Chief Shih For Lung: better than he gets credit for?

Quote Originally Posted by Huumanshadow View Post
    I am a big fan of GJ but no way is he 'talent'. He's
    the Rock Lee of wuxia, where HR is the Sasuke. He just work alot harder then most because he knew that he's dumb, say so himself many times.
    We've been through this discussion a number of times, and if we were able to conclude anything at all, it's this: in terms of Gwok Jing's martial arts talent, don't believe what the character says about himself or even what the narrator says about him. Just look at the results he got and the accomplishments he had. Not just ANYBODY could have done it. Gwok Jing might have been a dunce at purely intellectual exercises, and he wasn't articulate, but after a rough start with the Gong Nam 7 Freaks during his youth in Mongolia, he had the martial arts thing down COLD.

It makes it a little scary how far this guy could have gotten if he also had the brains of, say, a Cheung Mo Gei or a Yeung Gor.

I dont know about this because in LOCH Gigong taught random beggar clan members one or two moves from the XL18Z if he likes them so maybe tradition got change?
    Teaching them 1 or 2 moves is very different than passing on the entire art.

he became famous as North Xiao, South Murong before he became chief
    What makes you think that is the case? I don't recall any indication that says that motto was conceived before he became chief.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    We've been through this discussion a number of times, and if we were able to conclude anything at all, it's this: in terms of Gwok Jing's martial arts talent, don't believe what the character says about himself or even what the narrator says about him. Just look at the results he got and the accomplishments he had. Not just ANYBODY could have done it. Gwok Jing might have been a dunce at purely intellectual exercises, and he wasn't articulate, but after a rough start with the Gong Nam 7 Freaks during his youth in Mongolia, he had the martial arts thing down COLD.

It makes it a little scary how far this guy could have gotten if he also had the brains of, say, a Cheung Mo Gei or a Yeung Gor.

From past discussions I actually think many, many people (pretty much all main characters at the very least) would have accomplished what he did in his shoes. From 7 Freaks training since he was a kid to the 2 years of Quan Zhen inner strength, then encountering Hong Qi and him teaching him Dragon Palms, then meeting old Zhou teaching him vacant fists, and him having complete access to THE most powerful martial arts manual currently, to having been forced to continously spar with people way stronger than him ; he progressed as I'd expect him to. He might not have been given his martial arts like Duan Yu or Xu Zhu was but he definitely encountered extraordinary luck, and something I think a lot of people could have capitalized on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Oh easy. Look at 15 year old Murong Bo or 30 year old Qiao Feng.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Oh easy. Look at 15 year old Murong Bo or 30 year old Qiao Feng.
    Don't forget 6 year old (or was it 8) Tianshan Tonglao.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Don't forget 6 year old (or was it 8) Tianshan Tonglao.
    And the 4 year old Jiudala who mastered the Flaming Blade Foot in 5 months?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I dont know about this because in LOCH Gigong taught random beggar clan members one or two moves from the XL18Z if he likes them so maybe tradition got change? i'm not 100% sure about XF knowing the 18 Palms before becoming chief too, but all the TV adaptation hints that he does plus he became famous as North Xiao, South Murong before he became chief so i think he must of knew it before to roam jianghu. I am a big fan of GJ but no way is he 'talent'. He's the Rock Lee of wuxia, where HR is the Sasuke. He just work alot harder then most because he knew that he's dumb, say so himself many times.
    I think a better analogy would be to say GJ is Naruto. He seems "slow" but is the only one capable of achieving certain feats that others can't. They both work a little harder than the super elite geniuses, but they have lots of heart. And there is that "something" that they both have (whether luck or chance) that allows them to perfectly develop their innate talents

Fang Dongbai (A Da) the former Gaibang Elders was considered among the best among ZM henchmen (which include XM Elders) and since Shi Huolong is Gaibang chief he should be at least in the same level with A Da/XM Elders..