Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Sword of the Third Young Master

Default ch. 46

This chapter had been translated by bliss before but bliss did not finish translating the entire chapter. I went through the translation, reviewed, and updated the translation. You can check out bliss's original translation here. Chapter 47 will be the final chapter.

########

Chapter 46
    A Great Bewilderment

Xie Xiaofeng said, “So…”

Yan Shisan said, “So all you need to know is that I am Yan Shisan, and this should be enough.”

Xie Xiaofeng stared at him for a long while, suddenly smiled and said, “Actually all I need to see is your sword, and that should be enough.”

He had seen the “Life Snatching Thirteen Sword” before. You could say that he was thoroughly familiar with this swordplay’s every details and variations. However, this would not impact the outcome of their duel. Because this sword technique, when executed by Tie Kaicheng, would never have the full power, force, and accuracy that it was capable of. Therefore, he really wanted to witness the Life Snatching Thirteen Sword executed by Yan Shisan.

However, he also understood that the most important sword would be the one he never gets to see.

The most important sword move would be the move that determines life and death, victory and defeat. If Life Snatching Thirteen Sword already has a fifteenth transformation, the fifteenth sword would be the fatal sword move.

Of course he would never be able to see it.

Because the moment this sword comes out, he would be dead! His death would be certain. The one sword that he hoped to see in his lifetime would be the one sword that he will never get to see.

— Could this really be his fate?

What a twist of fate58, why must it be so cruel?

It wasn't something he wanted to dwell on, so he suddenly spoke, "There are swords in both of our hands; we can attack at any time."

Yan Shisan said, “That’s right.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “But you won’t make your move that easily.”

Yan Shisan said, “Oh?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Because you'll definitely wait; wait for my negligence, wait for your chance.”

Yan Shisan asked, “Wouldn’t you also wait the same way?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Yes.” He sighed and continued, “It's a pity that such an opportunity won't come that easily.”

Yan Shisan agreed.

Xie Xiaofeng said, “So we will wait for a long while. It’s hard to say, we might wait until we are both exhausted before such opportunity arise. I’m certain that we can both remain very patient.”

He sighed again and said, “But why must we stand here and wait like idiots?”

Yan Shisan asked, “What are you suggesting?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “We can at least take a look around and go for a stroll.”

A smile came over Xie Xiaofeng's eyes as he added, “The weather is so beautiful, the scenery is so magnificent. The two of us are standing on the verge of death, the least we can do is to enjoy life for just a bit.”

Thus they started to walk; their first steps seemed to happen at the exact same time. Neither of them wanted to gain an advantage over the other, because to them, this duel wasn't about victory and defeat, or life and death. To them, this duel was about justifying their entire lives. That's why they did not want to deceive the other, and most importantly, they did not want to deceive themselves.

The maple leaves were even redder. The sunset was even more magnificent.

Before the darkness enveloped the land, heavens would always descend to the human world even more splendor. It is like a person before death seems even more virtuous and intelligent.

This is precisely life. If you truly understand life, you will have less sorrow and more joy.

The maple forest already had fallen leaves. They were stepping on the fallen leaves and slowly walking ahead. Their footsteps were making loud noises. Their strides were getting bigger, but the noises were getting lighter. This was because their vitality and energy were slowly building up to its peak.

Once they finally reached their peak, they would make their move.

Whoever reached the peak first would be the one to make his move first.

They did not want to wait for the opportunity because they both knew neither would give the other any opportunity.

They both essentially made their move at the same time.

No one was capable of seeing these two draw their swords. Their swords suddenly flashed out like bolts of lightning.

In that single instant, the weight of their bodies seemingly vanished; it was as if they could soar freely through the sky.

Because they had entered the state of forgetting one’s self. Their awareness had surpassed the world around them. They were in complete control of everything.

The flashes of the swords were freely moving. Shredded maple leaves were falling down like rain of blood.

But they did not see it. In their eyes, nothing else in the world existed, not even their own bodies.

The only thing that existed was the opponent's sword.

The tall firm maple trees around them instantly split in half with the gentle slash of their sword.

Because these trees simply didn't exist in their eyes.

The dense maple forest around them was nothing but a level plain in their eyes. Wherever their swords wanted to go, that was where the swords went.

There was no longer anything in the world that could obstruct their blades.

Tree after tree toppled over in the forest, the sky rained blood in a riotous profusion. There was suddenly a strange transformation from the never-ending flashes of light; the change was serious yet awkward.

With a loud “DING”, sparks splashed in every direction.

The flashes of sword light suddenly disappeared. The sword stances suddenly stopped. Yan Shisan's eyes were fixed on the sword edge. There seemed to be an inferno blazing in his eyes. And there seemed to be a glacier freezing in his eyes. Although the sword was still in his hands, its variations had finally reached its end. He had already executed his fourteenth sword.

Now his sword was already dead. The tip of Xie Xiaofeng’s sword was currently facing the tip of his sword.

If his sword was a poisonous snake, then Xie Xiaofeng’s sword was a nail; a nail that had been planted seven inches onto the snake and nailed it to death. This duel should have ended then and there.

But at that exact moment, the already lifeless sword suddenly began to tremble.

The fluttering leaves dancing in the sky suddenly all dispersed. Everything that was moving suddenly all became still.

Absolute stillness.

Other than this trembling sword, there were no other vital signs between heaven and earth.

There was suddenly an expression of extreme fear on Xie Xiaofeng’s face.

He suddenly realized that although the sword was still in his hands, it already became dead.

As soon as his opponent’s sword began to regain its life, his sword would been dead. It would no longer have any transformation because all its transformation would be controlled by the opponent’s sword.

All the life and energy had been snatched away by this one sword.

Right now this one sword could at any time pierce through his chest and throat. There was no force in this world that could block this.

Because this sword was “death”.

When “death” approached, what in the world could stop it?

However, this one sword did not strike out.

Suddenly in Yan Shisan’s eyes revealed an extremely dreadful expression, even far more dreadful than Xie Xiaofeng.

Then he did something no one would’ve thought of, no one would’ve imagined. He suddenly turned the tip of his sword around and slashed his own throat.

He did not kill Xie Xiaofeng, and yet he did kill himself!

However, at the moment his sword slashed his own throat, there was no longer any fear in his eyes. At that moment, his eyes were clear and bright.

Full of happiness and serenity.

And then he collapsed.

Until that moment he collapsed, until the moment his heart stop beating, breathing stop, the sword in his hand was still trembling non-stop.

The setting sun faded away. The fallen leaves totally dispersed. Xie Xiaofeng did not leave yet.

He did not even move. He could not understand, did not understand. He couldn’t figure it out. He could not believe how a person, at the edge of victory, would kill himself.

However, he could not not believe this.59 This person was indeed dead. This person’s heartbeat and breathing stopped. His hands and legs were already cold. The person that was supposed to die was Xie Xiaofeng, not him.

But at that moment he died, his heart contained neither fear nor hatred, only happiness and serenity. He was not crazy. At that moment, he was already invincible. Of course, no one could pressure him anymore.

Then why did he do something like that?

Why did he?

Why?

Why?……

The night was already dark, extremely dark.

Xie Xiaofeng was still motionlessly standing there.

He still didn’t understand. It was still not clear. He still could not figure it out. When this person collapse, the black cloth covering his face already flipped over.

Xie Xiaofeng had already seen his face. This person was Yan Shisan, was that frail old man with the medicine pot, and was the person that saved his life.

This person saved his life, only because he was Xie Xiaofeng.

— If he could not duel with Xie Xiaofeng, Yan Shisan would die with regrets.

Xie Xiaofeng hadn't forgotten Jian Chuanxue's death, and he hadn't forgotten Jian Chuanxue's words.

— This person will save you, but this person will also die under your sword.

The endless night.60 The long night had finally passed by. The first rays of light from the east shined through the forest and onto Xie Xiaofeng's face like it was from a golden sword.

Wind rustled through the branches and leaves. The sunlight was incessantly moving as if it was the vibration of a godly sword.

Xie Xiaofeng’s tired and absent-minded eyes suddenly had light. He suddenly took a deep breath and muttered, “I understand, I understand…”

A voice behind him took a long sigh and said, "But I still don't understand."

Xie Xiaofeng quickly turned around and found a person knelt behind him with his head down. His hair bun and garments were already soaked in morning dew; evidently, he had knelt here for a while.

He was so absorbed in thought that he never noticed that someone had come.

This person slowly lifted his head and looked at him. His eyes were full of red veins, and appeared to have unspeakable weariness and sorrow.

Xie Xiaofeng suddenly grabbed him by the shoulder and said, "It's you? You've come as well!”

This person said, “Yes, it's me. I've been here for some time, but I still don't understand.”

This person turned towards Yan Shisan's body and sadly said, “You should've known that I would've wanted to see him one last time.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I know, of course I know!”

He had never forgotten what Tie Kaicheng had said either.

— He has no friends and no family, although he taught me his swordsmanship, he never allow me to get close to him. Also, he never let me know where he came from or where he will go.

— Because in his life he is afraid to having any sentimental feeling toward a person.

— Because if a person wanted to become a swordsman, he must be emotionless.

Only Xie Xiaofeng understood these intricate feelings that they had, because he knew Yan Shisan was not truly emotionless.

He let out a long sigh and said, “He really must've wanted to see you as well. Although you aren't officially his disciple, you are the one person whom he had passed his swordsmanship to. He would've wanted you to see that last sword of his.”

Tie Kaicheng asked, “That one sword was the epitome of his swordsmanship?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “That’s correct, that was the fifteenth transformation of ‘Life Snatching Thirteen Sword’. No one in the entire world could ward off or dodge it.”

Tie Kaicheng asked, “Not even you?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Not even I.”
 Tie Kaicheng said, “However, he did not use that one sword to kill you.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “If he did attack with that one sword, there’s no doubt I would be dead. Unfortunately at the very last moment, he unexpectedly was unable to strike out that sword move!”

Tie Kaicheng asked, “Why?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Because his heart had no killing intent!”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Because he saved my life before!”

He knew Tie Kaicheng didn’t understand so he continued, “If you saved a person’s life, it’s very hard to kill him again. Because you already have developed feelings toward this person.”

That is indeed a type of emotions that is hard to explain. Only human would have that kind of emotion. It is because human have this type of emotions that they are considered human.

Tie Kaicheng said, “Even if he didn’t have the heart to kill you, there was no need for him to die!”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “At first, even I couldn't figure out why he took his own life.”

Tie Kaicheng asked, “Right now you’ve figured it out?”

Xie Xiaofeng slowly nodded his head and sorrowfully said, “Now I finally understand, he, in actuality, has to die.”

Tie Kaicheng was even more confused.

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Because in that one moment, although he didn't want to kill me, although he couldn't bear to kill me, he already had no way of controlling the sword in his hands. Because the power of that one sword couldn't be controlled by anyone. Once it was unleashed, someone has to die under its blade.”

Everyone can't avoid encountering something that is totally out of his or her control and totally out of his or her comprehension. In this world there are originally mysterious forces that exists where no human power is able to control.
 Tie Kaicheng said, “I still do not understand why he must destroy himself.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “What he wanted to destroy was not himself, it was that sword.”

Tie Kaicheng asked, “That one sword is basically the unparalleled and peak of swordsmanship, why did he want to destroy it?

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Because he suddenly realized, what that sword brought forth are nothing but destruction and death. He simply couldn't allow such a sword to remain in this world. He was not willing to become martial art’s ultimate sinner.”

His expression was serious and sorrowful, “However the changes and power of this sword was already no longer in his control. It is like a person suddenly realizing that the snake he is raising is actually a poisonous dragon! Although it was close to his hand, it totally did not adhere to his commands. He can’t even get rid of it, and can only wait until this poisonous dragon completely sucked his flesh and bone dry.”

Tie Kaicheng’s eyes were showing an expression of extreme fear, “So all he could do was destroy himself first.”

Xie Xiaofeng sadly said, “Because his flesh, bone, and life had already merged together with this poisonous dragon. And because the poisonous snake was basically the essence of this person. Therefore if he wanted to destroy this poisonous snake, he must first destroy himself.”

This was a sad and tragic story, full of strange and mysterious dread, and full of the deepest and sincerest philosophy.

This story sounded absurd, yet it was absolutely true. Absolutely no one could deny that it existed.

Right now the he already destroyed the life of this swordsman of a generation. The unparalleled swordplay he created also disappeared at the same time.

Xie Xiaofeng was looking at his corpse and simply said, “But at that moment, he really had reached the pinnacle of swordsmanship. There wasn't a match before him, and there will never be a match after him. He can die with no regrets.”

Tie Kaicheng was gazing at him and asked, “Do you wish the one that died was you instead?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Yes.”

There was an indescribable sadness and loneliness in his eyes. "I would've rather the one that died was me instead."

This is life.

Life is full of contradiction; it is even harder to differentiate in between gain and lost.

Tie Kaicheng took off his outer clothes that were drenched by the morning dew and covered Yan Shisan’s corpse. He asked himself: “If a dead person also has consciousness, would he rather the one that died was Xie Xiaofeng instead?”

He couldn’t answer this. He gently moved Yan Shisan’s hand away from his sword, and put the sword back into the scabbard that had thirteen precious pearls.

The famed sword had already been depressed, however the sword was still here. How about the person?

———[This is where bliss' translation ended.]———

The sun was rising from the east and sunlight filled the sky. Xie Xiaofeng was following the yellow mud road the sunlight was shining on and went back to that nameless inn. Yesterday, when he walked out following this path, he would not imagine he would return.

Tie Kaicheng was behind following him. His footsteps were similar to him, heavy and slow.

Looking at the view of his back, Tie Kaicheng couldn’t help asking himself in his heart!

— Right now he was still Xie Xiaofeng, the Xie Xiaofeng that was unparalleled in the world. Why did it looked like he changed so much?

The mistress of the inn, however, did not change.

Her pair of big and lifeless eyes still had this hard to say weariless and confusion.

She was still blankly sitting behind the counter and blankly staring at the road outside. It seemed as if she was still waiting for a prince on white horse coming here to take here away from this banal and tedious lifestyle.

She did not see her prince on white horse, but did see Xie Xiaofeng. This pair of big and lifeless suddenly seemed to have an ambiguous61 smiling expression, “You came back?”

She seemed like she couldn’t believe Xie Xiaofeng actually came back, but he did. However, she did not feel surprise. There are plenty of these people in life. They are already used to accepting whatever fate has arranged for them. Xie Xiaofeng smiled at her and acted as if he had already forgotten what he did to her yesterday night.

Qing Qing said, “There are people at the back waiting for you. They have waited for a while!”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I know!”

Murong Qiudi should be there waiting for him and also their child.

“Where are they?”

Qing Qing lazily stood up and said, “I’ll bring you there.”

She was still dressed in those thin and soft clothes. When she was walking in front of him, Xie Xiaofeng could see everything clearly below her waist.

After walking out of the lobby and into the courtyard, she suddenly turned around and looked up and down assessing Tie Kaicheng. Tie Kaicheng seemed to want to pretend he didn’t notice her but he was not very good at pretending.

Qing Qing said, “There is no one here waiting for you.”

Tie Kaicheng said, “I know!”

Qing Qing said, “I also did not tell you to follow us.”

Tie Kaicheng said, “You did not.”

Qing Qing asked, “Then why did you not wait at the front?”

Tie Kaicheng left quickly and seemed as if he didn’t want to look at that pair of big and lifeless eyes.

Qing Qing’s eye was again showing that ambiguous smiling expression. She looked at Xie Xiaofeng and said, “Yesterday night, I was originally prepared to go look for you.”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Oh?”

Qing Qing gently caressed herself below the waist and said, “I even washed my legs.”

Xie Xiaofeng intentionally asked, “Why didn’t you go?”

Qing Qing replied, “Because I know the money that woman gave me is definitely more that what you will. I can tell you are not that type that is willing to spend money on woman.”

Her hand was clearly enticing him, “However if you like, tonight I can still…”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “What if I don’t like?”

Qing Qing replied, “Then I will go look for that friend of yours. I can tell he would definitely like it.”

Xie Xiaofeng laughed, bitterly laughed.

This woman at least had one good point; she would never hide what was on her mind. She would also never let an opportunity go, because she wanted to continue living and live a better life. Considering from this point of view, a lot of people are not better than her. In fact, not even he was better than her.

Qing Qing asked again, “Do you want me to go look for him?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “You definitely should!”

He was being very honest. Every one has the right to seek to better their lives.

Perhaps the method she was using was improper, but this was only because she never had a chance to choose a more proper method.

No one truly gave her the opportunity.

“The people waiting for you are in this room.”

This room was the one he was staying in yesterday night.

Qing Qing already left and went pretty far. She suddenly turned around, stared at him, and asked, “Would you think I am a woman with no sense of shame?”

Xie Xiaofeng answered, “I would not.”

Qing Qing smiled, truly smiled. The smile was as innocent and pure as a newborn baby.

Xie Xiaofeng, on the other hand, could not even smile. He knew there were plenty of women like her in the world. Even thought their lives were in a hellhole, they could still smile like a baby. Because they would never have a chance to know how tragic their actions were. He only hated how people judged their sins before they were given a better opportunity.

The dark yet damp room actually had sunlight shining in right now.

No matter how dark a place is sooner or later there will be sunlight shining in.

A withered and haggard man was facing the sunlight, and crossed his legs sitting on that wooden plank bed that could make a “zhizhi” (creaking) sound at any movement. The sunlight was very eye glaring but his pair of grey white eyes did not even move.

[End of Chapter 46]

Footnote
    58. zaohuanongren (造化弄人), lit. means “destiny makes a fool of people”.
    59. Yes, it’s a double negative. However I can’t drop the double negative and say “he could believe it”, the point of discussion is about him “not believing” something. Dropping the double negative will alter the meaning of the sentence slightly.
    60. changyemanman (长夜漫漫), is also an expression meaning long suffering/continuous darkness.
    61. nuanmei (暖昧), could be used to describe 1. an obscure/dubious/shady [attitude] or 2. an [action or conduct] that can’t be shown to the public.
    Last edited by kaister; 07-13-14 at 05:14 AM.

Thanks Kaister

Thks kaister!

Thanks very much Kaister. You have really put your heart and soul into this translation. I really appreciate your hard work even to assist previous translations.

Thanks for another one.
    Possible error?:

Looking at his back, Tie Kaicheng could help ask himself in his heart!
    correct:
    Looking at his back, Tie Kaicheng could not help asking himself in his heart!
    Last edited by ycb5959; 07-13-14 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Thanks for another one.
    Possible error?:

correct:
    Corrected.

Thanks kaister

Default ch. 47

This is it. This is the very last chapter for Third Young Master. This is for all those who waited for so long.

After this, I'll go back and resume reviewing/revising ch. 8-38 for the unabridged thread.

Chapter 47
    Not Caring About Fame and Fortune

He was blind.

A woman with her back facing the door was lying on the bed. It appeared she was sleeping and was sleeping soundly.

Murong Qiudi was not in this room; Xiaodi (little brother/young fellow) wasn’t either.

The pitiful blind man and that woman that was fond of sleeping…could it be that they were the one waiting for Xie Xiaofeng here?

However, he had never seen them before.

He had already stepped in but was about to step out. The blind man, on the other hand, called out to him.

Like most blind people, although this blind man could not see, his hearing was especially good.

He suddenly asked, “Is the person that came here the third young master of the Xie family?”

Xie Xiaofeng was shocked. He could not guess how this blind man knew it was him.

The face on the withered and haggard blind man was showing this extremely strange expression and asked a very strange question.

“Could it be that the Third Young Master does not recognize who I am?”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Why would I recognize you?”

The blind man replied, “If you take a really close look, you would definitely recognize.”

Xie Xiaofeng couldn’t help but stopped and took a really close look at him. He suddenly felt a chill through his body.

He did indeed recognize him.

This pitiful blind man was unexpectedly Zhu Yeqing, that Zhu Yeqing with eyes sharper than a poisonous snake!

Zhu Yeqing laughed, “I know you would definitely recognize me. You also should be able to guess how I became blind.”

His smile could send chills to anyone looking at it. “However, due to her kindness and blessing, she spared my life. She actually even married a woman to me.”

Xie Xiaofeng obviously knew who “she” was. However, he could not guess why Murong Qiudi did not kill him, nor why she would marry a woman to him.

Zhu Yeqing suddenly sighed and said, “No matter what, the wife that she married to me is truly a good wife. Even if I need to cut off my ears, I am still willing.”

His original vicious tone had become gentle. He reached his hands out, shook that woman, and said, “A guest came; you should pour the guest a cup of tea.”
    She obediently sat up and came out of bed with her head down. She poured cold tea in an old and broken tea bowl and brought it over.

Immediately after Xie Xiaofeng took the tea bowl, he almost dropped it.

There were suddenly chills in his hand and chills all over his body which were colder than one when he recognized Zhu Yeqing.

He finally saw this woman’s face. Zhu Yeqing’s obedient wife unexpectedly was Wa Wa. The Wa Wa that he had caused untold misery to.

Xie Xiaofeng did not shout out because Wa Wa was begging him. She was begging with a pair of eyes that was about to cry. It was as if she as was begging him to not ask and to not speak. He did not understand why she would do this? Why she was willing to become her enemy’s wife?

However he did not open his mouth. He could never refuse this pitiful girl’s request.

Zhu Yeqing suddenly asked, “Isn’t my wife good? Isn’t she pretty?”

Xie Xiaofeng could still managed to control his voice and said, “Yes.”

Zhu Yeqing’s smile could even light up that withered and haggard face. He gently said, “Although I cannot see her face, I still know she must be pretty. Such a kind-hearted lady definitely would not be ugly.”

He did not know she was Wa Wa.

If he knew his kind and gentle wife was a woman that he had caused untold misery to, what would he do? Xie Xiaofeng did not want to think anymore, loudly asked, “Are you waiting for me here? Did ‘Madame’ ask you to wait for me?”

Zhu Yeqing nodded and he voice became cold, “She wants me to tell you she already left. It doesn’t matter whether you win or lose, dead or alive, she will never see you again.”

This was obviously not her true intention.

She only wanted him to stay behind only to show Xie Xiaofeng what kind of person he had become and what kind of wife he had married.

Zhu Yeqing suddenly said, “She originally wanted Xiaodi to stay here! However Xiaodi also left. He said he needed to go to Mount Tai.”

Xie Xiaofeng couldn’t help but asked, “To do what?”

Zhu Yeqing’s answer was simple and to the point. “To do whatever he likes.”

His voice became full of cynicism. “Because he does not have a celebrated family background, does not have parents or brothers, so he could only test his luck and pave his own road.”

Xie Xiaofeng did not say anymore. What needed to be said had already been said. He quietly stood up and quietly walked out the room.

He believed Wa Wa would definitely follow him. She had many things she needed to explain.

This was Wa Wa’s explanation —
    “When Murong Qiudi force me to marry him, I originally decided to die.
    I only agreed to marry him only because I wanted to create a chance to kill him, to avenge my family.
    However, in the end, I could not carry out the plan.
    Because he is no longer the Zhu Yeqing that destroyed my family. He’s only a pitiful and useless blind man. Not only was he blind, the tendons on his legs had been severed.
    One time, I originally was viciously committed to killing him. However the moment before I acted on it, he woke up due to a nightmare weeping. He was telling me all his evil deeds he had committed in the past.
    From that moment on, I could no longer hate him.
    Although from time to time I reminded myself to never forget the enmity I have with him. However my heart no longer harbor any hatred towards him, only pity and sympathy.
    He often beg me while crying to not leave him. Without me, he would not even survive a single day.
    He does not know that right now I can’t leave him either.
    Because only beside him could I feel like a real woman.
    He does not know about my past and would not look down on me. He definitely would not abandon me or slip out in the middle of the night while I am asleep.
    Only with him by my side would I feel safe and blessed because I know he needs me.
    For a woman, to be able to have a man that truly needs her is her biggest joy.
    Perhaps you would never understand this type of feeling. However, not matter what you say, I will not leave him.”

What could Xie Xiaofeng say? He only said one word, other than this word he simply couldn’t think of what else to say.

He said, “Congratulations.”

Cold moonlight. New tomb. “Grave of Yan Shisan.”

These five simple words were carved on the granite tombstone, because no amount of words could describe his legendary and tragic life. This legendary swordsman was buried here. He had reached a height in swordsmanship in which no other man had tread before. Right now, like any other he was buried in the yellow earth.

The autumn wind was rustling. Xie Xiaofeng’s heart was similarly desolate. Tie Kaicheng had been looking at him. He suddenly asked, “Could he really die with no regrets?”

Tie Kaicheng asked, “You truly believe the poisonous dragon he killed, would not revive in you?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “Absolutely would not.”

Tie Kaicheng said, “But you already know all the transformations within his swordplay and saw his very last sword stance.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “If we say there is still someone that can execute that sword move, the person is definitely me.”

Tie Kaicheng said, “It must be you.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “But I can no longer use the sword again.”

Xie Xiaofeng did not reply back to him and simply stuck out his pair of hands from his sleeve. On his two hands, the thumbs had been cut off.

Without thumbs, you cannot hold a sword. For a person like Xie Xiaofeng, if he couldn’t hold a sword wouldn’t that be equivalent to death.

Tie Kaicheng’s expression changed. Xie Xiaofeng, on the other hand, laughed, “In the past I would never do this. I would rather die than do this.”

His laughter was not forced. “However, right now I thought this through. As long as a person can attain peace in his mind, no matter what the sacrifice is it’s worth it.” Tie Kaicheng was silent for a while as if he was letting his words soak in.

And yet he couldn’t help asked, “Could it be that even sacrificing your own life is worth it?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “I don’t know.”

His voice was mild and serene, “I only know if a person mind is not at peace, living is more painful than being dead.”

Of course he was qualified to say this, because he indeed had a painful experience. Also it was not known after however many tragic and painful experiences did he finally opened his heart and soul and found relief.

Seeing the serenity in his face, Tie Kaicheng finally sigh and mustered, “Right now where are you preparing to go?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I don’t even know. Perhaps I should finally go back home. However before I go back, I might even take a look everywhere, travel everywhere.”

He smiled again, “I am no longer the unparalleled swordsman in the world, the Xie Third Young Master. I am only an ordinary person, I no longer need to torture myself like he used to.”

What kind of person a man is? What kind of person a man wants to be? These are usually decided by the man himself.

He also asked Tie Kaicheng, “How about you? Where do you want to go?”

Tie Kaicheng muttered, “I also don’t know. Perhaps I should also go back home. However before I go back, I might even take a look everywhere, travel everywhere!”

Xie Xiaofeng smiled and said, “Very good then.”

The clear sunlight right now was shining in front of them on the beautiful mother earth.

This was a simple and plain town but it was a crucial path to Mount Tai. Although they said they would casually take a look and casually travel, they still ended up on this path. Sometimes the relation between men is like a kite that had been released, no matter how high or how far the kite flew it was still tied to a string.

It is just that this string is like that thread attached to that sword in the river water; other people usually can’t see it.

The little town also had an inn that was not considered too small or too big. This inn obviously also sold wine.

Tie Kaicheng asked, “Have you ever seen an inn that doesn’t sell wine?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “No.”

He smiled, “An inn that doesn’t sell wine is like frying vegetable without salt. Not only are you going against other people, you are going against yourself.”

The strange thing was this inn not only sold wine but also medicine.

The wind carrying the scent of medicine was much stronger than the scent of wine.

Tie Kaicheng asked, “Have you ever seen an inn that sells medicine?”

Xie Xiaofeng did not open his mouth and the innkeeper interrupted, “Our little inn does not sell medicine. It is only because in the past two days there’s a tenant who had fallen sick. His friend is preparing medicine for him.”

Tie Kaicheng asked, “He had a sudden sickness?”

The innkeeper sighed and said, “It is a sudden sickness. He looked perfectly fine one instance, and now sick to the point of near death.”

He suddenly realized he said something wrong, quickly smiled and explained, “However his sickness is definitely not contagious. The two of you could relax and lodge here.”

But a sudden sickness that put a person to near death is usually contagious.

A well experience traveler in Jianghu most definitely had this common knowledge. Tie Kaicheng knitted his brow, strolled to a window at the back and saw a young person fanning a medicine stove under the raft inside the courtyard. A person helping a friend prepare medicine usually did not carry a weapon. The person not only carried a sword but one of his hands was tightly gripping onto the sword as if he was prepared to guard against any sneak attack. Tie Kaicheng looked for half a day and suddenly called out, “Xiao Zhao.”

This person instantly jumped with sword out of its sheath. By the time he saw Tie Kaicheng, he finally let out a sigh of relief and smiled apologetically, “It’s the head escort chief.”

Tie Kaicheng pretend to not notice the nervousness on his face, smiled and said, “I am drinking wine outside. After you’re done making the medicine, come find us and let’s drink together.”

Xiao Zhao’s name was Zhao Qing62. He was originally a watchman in the Red Flag Escort Agency. However since little he was very progressive person, a few years he actually entered Huashan School. These were partly because of his effort and also partly because Tie Kaicheng's effort cultivating him.

He obviously could not refuse Tie Kaicheng’s invitation. He came very soon.

After two cups of wine, Tie Kaicheng finally asked, “Who is this friend of yours that’s ill?”

Zhao Qing said, “He’s one of my shixiong (martial older brother).” Tie Kaicheng asked, “What kind of sickness does he have?” Zhao Qing replied, “It’s a….a sudden sickness.” He was originally a frank and straightforward young person. Right now he seemed to be holding back his words; it was as if he has a secret he was unwilling to let other people know.

Tie Kaicheng was smiling and looking at him. Although he did not expose him, it made him feel worst than being exposed. His face was starting to turn red. He never had the habit of lying to the head escort chief. He wanted to tell the truth but unfortunately there was a stranger next to the head escort chief. Tie Kaicheng said, “Mister Xie is my friend. My friends will never betray their friends.”

Zhao Qing finally sighed and bitterly smiled, “My shixiong’s sickness was cause by an injury from a sword.”

A “sickness” that came from a sword injury was definitely a sudden sickness, and would most definitely be quick and serious.

Tie Kaicheng asked, “Which one of your shixiong is the one that’s sick?”

Zhao Qing replied, “it’s my Mei-dashixiong (eldest martial brother).”

Tie Kaicheng was visibly moved, “Is it that ‘God Sword With No Shadow’ Mei Changhua?”

He was indeed shocked. Mei Changhua was not only the head disciple of Huashan, he was also renowned swordsman in Jianghu.

With his swordsmanship, how did he become so “sick” under another’s sword?

Tie Kaicheng also asked, “Who made him sick?”

Zhao Qing said, “It’s a new disciple of Diancang who’s very young.”

Tie Kaicheng was even more shocked. The fame of Huashan swordplay was above that of Diancang. How could a new disciple of Diancang defeat the head disciple of Huashan?

Zhao Qing said, “We originally was supposed to go to a gathering in Huashan. We ran into him here and he suddenly had some friction with my dashixiong. He wanted to have an one on one duel with my dashixiong to decide victory or defeat.”

He was sighing and continued, “At the time we thought he was mad and was seeking death. Unbelievably…no one would believe dashixiong would be defeated by his swordplay.”

Tie Kaicheng asked, “The duel was decided under how many moves?”

Zhao Qing’s face was even more embarrassed. After a long hesitation, finally softly said, “Seemed like not even ten moves.”

A newly recruited Diancang disciple could actually defeat Mei Changhua in under ten moves.

Not only was this hard to believe, it was also embarrassing. No wonder Zhao Qing was holding back not wanting to say it.

Beside Mei Changhua had always been arrogant. He made many enemies in Jianghu. Obviously, he needed to be guarded against potential enemies looking for revenge.

Zhao Qing said, “However his swordplay did not seem to originate from Diancang, particularly his last move. Not only was it vicious and surprisingly crafty, it seemed careful and mature. It seemed like martial art that was at least ten years or more worth of painful training.”

Tie Kaicheng asked, “Do you think he might’ve joined the school with previous skill?”

Zhao Qing said, “Definitely.”

Xie Xiaofeng suddenly asked, “What kind of person is he?”

Zhao Qing said, “His age seems young but the things he does seemed seasoned. Although he said very little, but whatever he said he said it with moderation.”

After thinking about it, he said, “It seemed like he’s not the type to cause slight disagreement and fight. This must be a deliberate fight for him to establish his name in Jianghu.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “What is his name?”

Zhao Qing replied, “His surname is also Xie, Xie Xiaodi63.”

Xie Xiaodi, these three words suddenly became renowned throughout Jianghu.

In the short span of five days, he injured Mei Changhua, defeated Qin Duxiu, and even the number one expert amongst the later generation in Wudang, Ouyang Yunhe, was defeated by his sword. The rise of this youngster was like a miracle.

Night. There was a lamp and wine on the table.

Tie Kaicheng muttered to himself with the wine, suddenly smiled and said, “I guess right now you already know who Xie Xiaodi is.”

Xie Xiaofeng did not answer him directly, yet sighed and said, “I only know he must be anxious to become famous. Because only after becoming famous would he be able to get rid of the shadow in his heart.”

— What was his shadow?

— Was it his famous parent?

Or was it those long suppressed painful memories?

Tie Kaicheng said, “He deliberately cause trouble with the disciples of those famous school. I originally thought he was fighting to become the head of the alliance for Mount Tai.”

“However he did not do that.”

“Because he knew his prestige was not enough, so he still supported Li Zhenzhen to the seat of the alliance leader.”

“That was already two days ago. For today’s news, he had already took the new alliance leader, Li Zhenzhen, as his wife.”

Tie Kaicheng smiled and said, “Right now I finally know, he is far more brilliant than we thought.”

Li Zhenzhen was also an intelligent person; she knew their union would be mutually beneficial to both of them.

Tie Kaicheng said, “I always wonder what was Madame Murong's feeling after hearing about his news.”

Xie Xiaofeng also did not know.

He did not even know what was his feeling at the current moment.

Tie Kaicheng suddenly smiled and said, “Actually we should not worry about them. Every generation of Jianghu there are people like them that shows up. As they are struggling and fighting to climb up, they would use any mean possible. Once they established their fame, they would focus on doing that job well.”

Because they were all intelligent people, they would not easily destroy their hard earn fame and reputation. Perhaps it was because people like them that always exist in Jianghu, therefore balance was maintained. Because they will naturally maintained a check and balance amongst them. That kind of relationship is like the world needed tiger, leopard, lion, and fox; rats and mosquito; for there to be natural equilibrium.

Xie Xiaofeng suddenly sighed and said, “A youngster without a prominent family background and parents to rely on, is definitely hard to establish a name.”

Tie Kaicheng said, “However young people should have that kind of ambition. If he is constantly climbing up, no one would say he’s on the wrong path.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Yes.”

At the moment they finished talking, suddenly a group of youngsters rushed in and loudly asked, “Are you Xie Xiaofeng?”

Xie Xiaofeng nodded.

A youngster drew out his sword and pointed at him with a sword tip, “Draw you sword, let’s decide who’ll be the victor of a battle.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Although I am Xie Xiaofeng, I already do not use a sword.”

He let these youngsters see his hand.

The youngsters were not affected; their desire to achieve fame was too aggressive.

No matter what, Xie Xiaofeng was still Xie Xiaofeng. Whoever kill Xie Xiaofeng would become famous.

They suddenly drew their swords at the same time and aimed toward Xie Xiaofeng.

Although Xie Xiaofeng could not hold a sword, he still had a hand. His hand chopping on their maimen (pulse on their wrist) was like a sudden gust of wind blowing by.

Their swords immediately left their hands.

Xie Xiaofeng picked up the sword. He held the swords with his middle and index finger and snapped them into two halves.

Afterward he only said one word!

“Leave.”

They immediately left. They left faster then they came. Tie Kaicheng laughed.

They were young people; passionate with a fiery, hotheaded and impulsive, taking action without thinking of the consequence. However, Jianghu could never do without these youngsters. It was like the ocean could never do without fishes.

It was because of these young people, could Jianghu forever maintain its fresh excitement and colorful liveliness.

Tie Kaicheng asked, “You don’t blame them?”

Xie Xiaofeng replied, “I definitely do not blame them.”

Tie Kaicheng asked, “Is it because you know once they grow up, they would not do these things?”

After thinking about it, he said, “Other than this, obviously there is another reason.”

Tie Kaicheng asked, “What reason?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Because I am also a man of Jianghu.”

The people and life in Jianghu are like fallen leave in the wind and duckweed in the water. Although they do not have root, they have courage, uprightness, and loyalty. Although they are typically living in hardship, they don’t blame the heaven or fault men. Because at the same time, they have a rich, colorful, and beautiful life.

Xie Xiaofeng said, “There’s a saying you mustn’t forget.”

Tie Kaicheng said, “What saying?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Once you’ve became a man of Jianghu, you’ll always be a man of Jianghu.”

Tie Kaicheng said, “I also have a saying.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “What saying?”

Tie Kaicheng said, “Once you’ve become Xie Xiaofeng, you’ll always be Xie Xiaofeng.”

He smiled and slowly continued, “Even if you cannot hold a sword anymore, you are still Xie Xiaofeng.”

[END]

Footnote
    62. Zhao Qing (赵清), surname Zhao, given name mean “clear/clean/pure”.
    63. Xie Xiaodi (谢小荻), surname Xie, given name means “little” (xiao), “di” (荻) - same as the di in Murong Qiudi. Obviously, this also sounds similar to Xiaodi (小弟).
    Last edited by kaister; 07-15-14 at 01:01 AM. Reason: text correction

The end is here!

Thanks for finishing this nice novel Kaister.

Possible errors:
    Xie Xiaofeng did not shout out because Wa Wa begged him to
    Correct: "beg him not to"

She only wanted him to stay him only to show Xie Xiaofeng what kind of person he had become and what kind of wife he married
    The "him" is extra & unneeded. Also, clearer if:
    She only wanted him to stay only to show Xie Xiaofeng what kind of person Zhu Yeqing had become and what kind of wife he had married

Zhu Yeqing suddenly asked, “She originally wanted Xiaodi to stay here! However Xiaodi also left. He said he needed to go to Mount Tai.
    Should be "said".

He believed Wa Wa would definitely followed him
    Tense issue: should be "follow".

He does not know that right I can’t leave him either.
    Missing word:
    He does not know that right now I can’t leave him either.
    For today’s new, he had already took the new alliance leader, Li Zhenzhen, as his wife.
    Should be "news".
    Last edited by ycb5959; 07-14-14 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks.

I followed all your corrections except for the following:

1. "Xie Xiaofeng did not shout out because Wa Wa was begging him."

I didn't realize the confusion because I interpret it as "WaWa begged him to not shout out" but obviously you're reading it as "WaWa begged him to shout out". The sentence was supposed to say she begged him to do what he did. However, the original text is actually using the word "begging" so I changed the "begged" to "was begging" in this sentence and the next sentence. What she was begging him to do is NOT specified in this sentence but the next sentence. It seemed like Chinese doesn't have any concept of run on sentences. This sentence and the next two sentences are all one sentence in the Chinese source separated by commas.

2. "She only wanted him to stay behind only to show Xie Xiaofeng what kind of person he had become and what kind of wife he had married."

In this case both "him" and "he" are referring to the same person, Zhu Yeqing. Only Xie Xiaofeng is refer to directly by his name. I think originally I was going to say "stay here" but somehow typed "stay him" but Chinese text really saying "stay behind". It certainly is clearer if I changed the "he" after XXF was mentioned to "Zhu Yeqing" but I'm going to keep it based on the original Chinese text.

I'm more incline to keep thing as close to the original text as possible. If a sentence is ambiguous or confusing then, to me, the author intended to have the sentence ambiguous or confusing. Therefore I feel strange changing and adding text that's not there in the first place. I'm a bit anal about this because I don't want to have a scenario where I misinterpret a certain text and have the readers read my misinterpretation. Truthfully, I don't follow this guideline all the time but I try to...=)

With that said, I'm really thankful that you are pointing out all these mistakes and confusions. Reviewing the same text over and over again is not fun and I'd already accepted the fact that I simply can't catch everything. Any help I can get to speed this up is much appreciated. Please continue doing what you are doing.
    Last edited by kaister; 07-15-14 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks kaister for completing the novel and remove the misconception I had as a result of watching the Shaw movie. A good ending.

He laughed was not forced.

Correction:
    His laughter
    was not forced.

Quote Originally Posted by LuDongBin View Post
    Thanks kaister for completing the novel and remove the misconception I had as a result of watching the Shaw movie. A good ending.

He laughed was not forced.

Correction:
    His laughter
    was not forced.
    Thanks.

This is why I like to read original source material. Movies and TV shows usually have a bunch of changes.

I'm glad it's done. I glad people will now have a chance to finish reading this. It's been 11 years, I think.

Correction, this project was started by kara around end of November 2004...so less than 10 years ago. Haha
    I'm just completing these decade long unfinished projects.
    Last edited by kaister; 07-15-14 at 03:59 PM.

Thank You kaister

Dear Kiaster. Congratulations on a job well done. You are a professional, thorough and responsible translator. Kudos to you.

Thanks a lot for finishing this

Thanks Kaister for your work, I register on this site just to say this.

Thanks a lot kaister! Now we need someone to continue the Xie Xiaofeng story to see how he overcomes the loss of his thumbs and surpasses the 15th Sword!

Quote Originally Posted by Frananta View Post
    Thanks Kaister for your work, I register on this site just to say this.
    Thanks, that's nice.

I'm glad this forum got a bit more active since that last time I was here. When I started coming here back in 05/06, it was pretty vibrant. At the time I started translating around '10, it died down a lot. Now, due to effort of a few translators here, it becoming kinda active again.

Yup - there is almost a daily update (sometimes more) due to the few active translators. This cause the members like myself to check daily, and for some others, hourly

The few active threads keep the interest going.
    As a reader, I find it rather easy to lose interest, once a thread starts to lose momentum.

You completed Silver Spear, and now this - both novels that I enjoyed greatly. Arigato!

Now -what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Yup - there is almost a daily update (sometimes more) due to the few active translators. This cause the members like myself to check daily, and for some others, hourly

The few active threads keep the interest going.
    As a reader, I find it rather easy to lose interest, once a thread starts to lose momentum.

You completed Silver Spear, and now this - both novels that I enjoyed greatly. Arigato!

Now -what's next?

Right now, I'm simply just gonna finish revising the rest of 3rd Young Master. In the next 4-5 months, I won't be taking on a new project.

I did say I am interested in continuing Wulin Waishi. However, I won't a firm decision until the end of this year.

I'm using books from the the same publisher. Using that as a reference, Silver Spear is 2 books, Third Young Master is 3 books, but Wulin Waishi is 10 books. Yes, it's 39, 47 and 44 chapters respectively but there are huge difference between the length of these chapters. FYI, both Sword and the Exquisiteness and Legendary Siblings are also 10 books long stories.

In the meanwhile, I'll just slowly peck on the unabridged thread for Silver Spear and 3rd Young Master. I might actually complied some of the already translated WLWS chapters in my free time. Maybe...