Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: The Sword of the Third Young Master

Yes kaister, it would be great if you could finish Wulin Waishi. Waiting patiently.

Quote Originally Posted by kaister View Post
    ...In the next 4-5 months, I won't be taking on a new project....

But honestly, thanks for the efforts in completing the 2 long-outstanding novels...

yeah kaister, Wulin Wai Shi would be fantastic! You've done a great job with these 2 novels and like many of us here, really appreciate the hard work that you've put in! Thanks again!

Dear Kaister. Thank you for concluding the translation. And I really appreciate it even more that you have started on a touch up of the earlier translated portion. This is where I believed the greatness of the 3rd Young Master comes out most strongly, especially his martial moves.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsaw View Post
    Dear Kaister. Thank you for concluding the translation. And I really appreciate it even more that you have started on a touch up of the earlier translated portion. This is where I believed the greatness of the 3rd Young Master comes out most strongly, especially his martial moves.
    Yea, I'm just keeping good with my promise. I said I'll finish ch. 39-47 first and then go back and rework ch. 1-38.

I'm mainly keeping the naming consistence and making sure the translation is accurate with the Chinese source text.

I need a little help. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can tell me.

WARNING: Spoiler in text below...maybe...

I just switch to the 2006-published novel as the source and moved away from the 1999-published version.
    Immediately, I notice one difference.

I was always bothered by the mention of "Hua Yukun" in ch. 4 and later on "Hua Shaokun" starting from ch. 9 and onward, the name with the difference in the middle character (yu vs shao). Now, I know Gu Long is always inconsistent on facts and details regarding his own novel...but does anyone know whether people (fans or experts) try to clarify this? Are they the same person? So naturally, with the new novel, I immediately check whether this issue is "fixed". Unfortunately, no the names are still the same. But...

Originally, Jaded and kara both translated an extra line after Hua Yukun. The line is:

"At the time, he was __ years-old."

Before, I was using several online sources and the 1999-published novel as a basis and none of them have that line. Interestingly, the 2006 novel has this line. Unfortunately, the existence of this line made me even more confused. Before, Jaded has it translation has 31 and kara has 13, which lead to me question who "he" is referrring to. Obviously if it's 31, it would be referring to HYK; and if 13 then it would be XXF.

From the 2006-published novel, it is "31"...great so HYK was 31 years-old when he was defeated by XXF. But...now is HYK and HSK the same person then? If you read ch. 27, you'll realize Hua Shaokun can NOT be 31 when he was defeated by XXF. HSK was 60+ at the point (he married XFH 20 years ago when he was around ~40yo, thus he was 60ish) so when he was 31 it was ~30 years ago. XXF was 32 at that point...so do the math.

Man, it's almost simpler if we consider HYK and HSK as two different people. Anyone know what's going on? Or share your opinion.

By the way, in the 2006 novel there's a foreword by a professor in wuxia literature discussing the novel. It has references to a bunch of things in ch. 40+ so kinda strange for it to be a foreword. I might translate this later and post it after ch 47 in the unabridged thread.

This concludes my effort on the translation for Third Young Master. I hope everyone likes it.

I'll be taking a several months break from here. Won't be back till probably 2015. I might still check the forum from time to time so feel free to PM me if you guys want.

Good job and thank you very much. Love your translations. I would really appreciate if you take up another project when you come back from your well deserved break. It would be great if you pick another of I eat tomatoes novel; or something similar.

Thanks Kaister.

Quote Originally Posted by kaister View Post
    This concludes my effort on the translation for Third Young Master. I hope everyone likes it.

I'll be taking a several months break from here. Won't be back till probably 2015. I might still check the forum from time to time so feel free to PM me if you guys want.
    Dear Kaister. Thank you so much for continuing the translation. You have really upheld the good name of all the translators in this forum.

Thanks kaister. See u in a few months time.

Bravo! Thanks for cleaning up the mess.
    I did revise it from a hard copy, but as it shows very lacking in ability and determination.

I am sorry that I am this late, just finished reading the whole translation. Great job, kaister, and thank you!