Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Sword of the Third Young Master

Thanks vey much Kiaster for this continuation. I have been following/waiting this for a long time. Finally you have come to save us.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsaw View Post
    Thanks vey much Kiaster for this continuation. I have been following/waiting this for a long time. Finally you have come to save us.
    Yes, I picked this up with full intention of finishing up the translation of the novel. By September, all the remaining chapter will be posted. I might be working on different pace, but I'll try to post something every week.

This only thing I was contemplating is whether to work on the unabridged version or to complete the translation. The unabridged thread will take a bit of time and besides the translation been restarted twice. That's why I started by continuing the translation first. New readers might want to wait for the unabridged version and avoid suffering through the disjointed translations.

Currently I'm working on the following 3 tasks:
    1. Reviewing and editing chapters on Silver Spear unabridged thread.
    2. Translating ch. 39-47 for Third Young Master.
    3. Compiling, posting, and editing Third Young Master unabridged thread.

I don't know about the unabridged thread but I'm confident I'll finish at least the 2nd task.

This looks like a full time job...

Thanks for making the time.

Yes good choice: finished the translation first then do the unabridged ... thks kaister.

kaister
    Saw your unabridged thread on the same. Thanks - will be following the new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    kaister
    Saw your unabridged thread on the same. Thanks - will be following the new thread.
    Oh that thread will be slow. I only did it so I can organized what was already done. Also, I wanted to post the forewords even though it's not related to the story. I thought it'll be a nice bonus.

I'll post chapter 1 in the next couple of days to give people an idea of what I am doing. Afterward, focus will be shifted back to this thread and on completing the translation.

The fastest moving thread will be the silver spear unabridged thread, which will get a couple of chapters a week. This thread will probably get around one chapter a week. The third young master unabridged thread might get one every two weeks...dunno.

My free time fluctuates and I only do translation on my free time.
    Last edited by kaister; 06-06-14 at 12:57 AM.

Default Chapter 39 (2/2)

Here's the second half of chapter 39. This here is approximately the rate I'm going. I'll only post maybe 3-4 times a week in between the three threads I'm posting in.

(ch. 39 continues...)

The current Emei zhangmen was the oldest amongst the seven great school masters. When she entered Emei and shaven as nun, she was already around thirty.

No one knew what she did before thirty. No one knew her past background and history. Furthermore, no one had imagine at the ripe aged of sixty-three, she would succeed at the helm of Emei.

Because Jianghu at the time was bustling with rumor, someone even said she was a famous beauty of Yangzhou.

It didn’t matter what kind of person she was before. After the entered Emei, the things she had done were not something ordinary woman could have done.

Since the day she shaved her head to be a nun, she had never smiled — at least no one ever saw her smiled.

She adhered to strict Buddhist monastic principles and cultivates Buddhism painstakingly. Every day she had one meal, one bowl of huma rice20 and one bowl of wugen water21.

Before she became a Buddhist nun, she had an ample body size. After three year, she was skinny as autumn grass.22 After taking control of Emei, her weight was only thirty-nine kilograms. Those that had seen her in person could not believe in such a thin and feeble body can produce such power and strength. Her disciples were all similar to her, adheres to Buddhist principles, painstaking cultivation, possess absolute asceticism, and had a strict vegetarian and non-alcoholic diet.

She believed all young women would have normal and abnormal desires. However if was in persistent half-hungry situation, it would prevent her from thinking too much.

She had only made an exception on Li Zhenzhen.

Li Zhenzhen practically could do whatever she wishes. No one ever constricted her.

The was because even though Li Zhenzhen liked to eat and drink, liked to be well dressed, had bad temper, young and energetic, she never made any mistake. It was similar to how the sun would never rise from the west.

Wulin had been traditionally been a male’s world. This was because men had more harden heart and stronger strength wise. On Wulin’s hero list, there were seldomly any woman. Li Zhenzhen was an exception.

In the past few years, the honor and glory Li Zhenzhen obtained for Emei were nearly larger the all other Emei disciples combined.

Li Zhenzhen was also a beauty. Today she was wearing a water green color flowing long dress. The material, design, trim, and workmanship were all excellent. Although it was not particularly transparent, in well-lit environment it insinuated her slim waist and perfectly straight legs. This place was very bright.

Although sunlight could not shine through, lamp light was very bright. Under this light, her clothes were practically like a veil of mist.

She didn’t mind at all, not one bit. She would wear whatever she liked.

Because she was Li Zhenzhen.

It didn’t matter what she wears because no one would dare look down on her.

When she walked in, she went straight to Xie Xiaofeng and her eyes were fixed on him.

Xie Xiaofeng was also staring back at her.

She suddenly laughed.

“I know what you are thinking in your heart.”

She said, “You must be thinking whether I sleep with men often?”

And that was her first words.

There were some people that were innately different from others. People that in any time and any place would say something startling or do something startling.

Li Zhenzhen was this type of people.

Xie Xiaofeng understands these type of people; because he also used to be this type of people. He often liked to shock people.

Xie Xiaofeng also knew Li Zhenzhen wanted to see what he looked like when he’s shocked.

Therefore he didn’t even looked a bit shock. He only insipidly asked, “Do you want me to be honest?”

Li Zhenzhen replied, “Of course I do.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Ok I’ll tell you. I am only thinking about how I can get you to sleep with me.

Li Zhenzhen said, “You only have one method.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “What method?”

Li Zhenzhen replied, “Gamble.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Gamble?”

Li Zhenzhen replied, “If you can win, I’ll do whatever you want.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Then if I lose, I’ll need to agree to whatever you want me to do?”

Li Zhenzhen replied, “Correct.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “The stake sure isn’t small.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “If you want to gamble, a bigger stake makes thing more interesting.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “What do you want to use to gamble?”

Li Zhenzhen replied, “Gamble using swords!”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “You really wanted to gamble using swords with me?”

Li Zhenzhen said, “You are Xie Xiaofeng; the swordsman Xie Xiaofeng that’s matchless under heaven. If I don’t gamble using swords with you, what would I gamble you with? Perhaps I should crouch on the floor like a little kid and throw dice?”

She lifted her head, “If you are gambling with an alcohlic, you’ll gamble with alcohols. If you are gambling with Xie Xiaofeng, you’ll gamble with sword. Gambling with anything else is meaningless even if you win.”

Xie Xiaofeng laughed heartily and said, “Good! Li Zhenzhen sure is Li Zhenzhen.”

Li Zhenzhen laughed again and said, “Couldn’t believe the world famous third young master actually know about me.”

This time she was really laughing, not the cynical laugh she had at first or that heroic female laugh.

The laugh was truly a woman’s laugh, a real woman.

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Even for a person that had never seen a pearl before, the first time they see a pearl they understand its preciousness.”

He smiled and gazed at her, “Some people are like pearls. Even if you never seen her before, the instant you see her you would be able to recognize her.”

Li Zhenzhen laughed even more charmingly, said, “No wonder why everyone says the Xie family’s third young master not only had a sword that was fear all men of the world, he also has a lip that can charmed all women of the world.”

She sighed, “Unfortunately after these women had been charmed, they couldn’t avoid being broken-hearted.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Do you know that a people that always make other people grieve, will always have moment of grievance himself?”

Although his voice had a certain tranquility, it also had a certain unspeakable sadness.

Li Zhenzhen let her head hangs, “A person that always make other people grieve, will always have moment of grievance himself.”

She softly repeated his words, and suddenly lifted her head, stared at him and said, “I will always remember these words.”

Xie Xiaofeng laughed again and asked, “Ok, how do you want us to gamble?”

Li Zhenzhen said, “I often heard other people say, the third young master draws his sword without emotion and would never leave any ground to the opponent.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “A three chi23 (feet) long sword, in itself, is a heartless item. If you ever relent with the blade, then why bother drawing it the first place.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “Therefore once you draw your sword, the opponent would always die under your blade. Even till now, no one could blocks three moves from you.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “That is because I always spent all the energy within three moves.”

Li Zhenzhen asked, “Within three moves, if you can not win, does that mean you’ll lose?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Very likely.”

He smiled and dully continued, “Fortunately, I still haven’t experience such a situation.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “Maybe you’ll experience this today.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Oh?”

Li Zhenzhen turned around. Ouyang Yunhe, Qin Duxiu, Mei Changhua, Tian Zailong, and Li Pingzi silently stood behind her. She look at them, “You recognize these people?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Although I have never met them before, I could recognize them.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “I’m gambling that every one of them can withstand your three moves.”

Xie Xiaofeng said: “Every one?”

Li Zhenzhen said, “Every one! As long as one of them couldn’t, I’ll lose!”

She also innocuously laughed, “This ways it wouldn’t be unfair. If you use up all your energy within three moves, you wouldn’t have the energy to deal with the last one or two people.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Fight between masters is not a battle between rhinoceros. We use skills, not brute strength.”

Li Zhenzhen’s eyes lit up and said, “Then you’re willing to gamble?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Today, I intended to have a huge gamble. What other method of gamble is more blissful than this?”

He faced upward and laughed, “Being able to fully face the distinguished disciples of the seven major sword schools. No matter whether I’ll win or loss, it would be something I’m content with in my life.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “Good, Xie Xiaofeng is most certainly Xie Xiaofeng.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Are you preparing to be the first fighter?”

Li Zhenzhen said, “I know the third young master has always disdain fighting with woman directly, how could I be the first? Besides…”

She smiled and said, “Although a fight between masters is about skills not strengths, a weaker strength character is still at a disadvantage. How could these shixiong (older martial brothers) possibly allow me to be at a disadvantage?”

Xie Xiaofeng laughed, “Your words are reasonable.”

Li Zhenzhen sweetly said, “Women, in front of men, sometimes are rather unreasonable. Even if what I said was wrong, everyone would not blame me.”

Ouyang Yunhe, Qin Duxiu, Mei Changhua, Tian Zailong, and Li Pingzi were still standing silently there. Perhaps Li Zhenzhen had already said whatever they wanted to say.

Xie Xiaofeng looked at them and said, “Who’s the first one that’ll take the first move?”

A person slowly stepped forward and said, “It’s me.”

Xie Xiaofeng sighed and said, “I knew it would be you.”

The person was of course Ouyang Yunhe.

Wudang was a prestigious orthodox school. In such a situation, they wouldn’t be hide behind and go later?

Xie Xiaofeng sighed again and said, “If the first one wasn’t you, I would be disappointed. The first one is you, I am also disappointed.”

Ouyang Yunhe said, “Oh?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “It was said the Kongtong had recently developed a new set of swordplay; mysterious and extremely dangerous. I thought Kongtong disciple would fight to be first.”

Anyone could hear that these words had thorns. Only Qin Duxiu seems as if he didn’t hear anything.

Ouyang Yunhe said, “Kongtong and Wudang have the same lineage. It’s the same whoever comes out and make his move.”

XIe Xiaofeng slowly nodded and gently said, “That’s right. Whoever comes out and take first move, it’s the same.”

After saying “first move”, he had already made his move.24

Wu Tao was originally the farthest away; with the flash of his body, he already drew out Wu Tao’s sword on his waist.

After saying the last word, he was already in front of Qin Duxiu. He suddenly turned his sword around and handed Qin Duxiu the sword hilt.

Qin Duxiu was startled and took the sword. Nobody would’d thought Xie Xiaofeng hand came out like a flash, and drew his sword.
    A flash of the sword and it was already at between his eyebrow and eyelash.
    Qin Duxiu surprisingly did not panic in the face death, turn his hand over and disperse the sword, and then forged ahead.

With a loud “qiang” sound, a sword already jolted and flew out. It flew upward toward the sky.

The sword flickered with green with a bit of blue. It was the Qingyun Sword25 that was forged by the best miantie26 (steel).

There was only seven of this type of swords. It was exclusively used by Diancang Seven Swords. However it was now in the hand of Qin Duxiu’s. It also flew out of Qin Duxiu’s hand.

When all the sword flashes disappeared, the sword was actually in Xie Xiaofeng’s hand. Qin Duxiu’s sword had returned back to his sword sheath on his waist. Everyone was shocked, Qin Duxiu, himself, looks like dying embers.

To him, what happened in those moments was simply a nightmare.

However, this nightmare was real.

Xie Xiaofeng did not look at him again and walked to front of Wu Tao and said, “This is your sword.”

He used two hands and offered it back to him. Wu Tao could only take it, the hand taking the sword was already trembling. He suddenly took a deep sigh and dimly said, “No need to make your move, I’ve already lost.”

Li Zhenzhen asked, “You really admit defeat?”

End of Chapter 39

------[FOOTNOTE]------------------------------------
    [20] huma rice. A sesame glutinous rice. It’s made of steamed rice with sesame and suger added, also known as the “fairy rice”. A traditional dish of Wuyishan. [Source: baidu]
    [21] wugen water (无根水), means rootless water. It’s either fresh snow water, morning dew drops, or fresh rainwater that had never touch the ground. It is thought off as the “purest” of water.
    [22] Since I’m not too sure what this expression meant, I left it as a direct translation.
    [23] Chi (尺), Chinese foot. It’s about a third of a meter or slightly above 13 inches.
    [24] Chushou (出手), lit. put hands out. It means making move or taking action. It was use in this sentence twice and the previous several lines of dialogues.
    [25] Qingyun Sword (青云剑), lit Blue Cloud Sword.
    [26] miantie (缅铁) is a type of iron added to make weapon sword. It’s a treated iron but not exactly steel.

Thks kaister for another great update.

Thanks kaister

Default ch. 40 (1/2)

FYI, I'm always ahead in translation, meaning I'm already translating several chapters ahead already. I'm taking my time to post because I'm reviewing the translation before posting. Besides, I'm also reviewing Silver Spear and the earlier Third Young Master chapters. I'm leaving ample space for me to work with. This way I can pace myself properly and juggle between the tasks easier.

###################

Chapter 40 - The Premeditation Comes First

Wu Tao slowly nodded and said, “Don’t worry. I’ll not forget our appointment.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “I believe it.”

Wu Tao turned and faced Xie Xiaofeng. He seemed as if he wanted to say something but did not even utter a word. He finally left without turning his head back.

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Good. A win is a win. A lost is a lost. Diancang’s disciples are certainly gentlemen.”

Li Pingzi suddenly coldly said, “Fortunately I am no such gentleman.”

XIe Xiaofeng said, “What good does it have not being such gentleman?”

Li Pingzi said, “It is because I am not a gentleman, I do not fight to be first.”

His long eye lit up and his ugly face revealed a sly smile, “The last person to go would not only be at ease waiting for an exhausted enemy, he would also have a chance to study your swordplay. Even if I don’t kill you, I could at least withstand three of your move.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “You are certainly not a gentleman. You are a little man (a person of low character).”27

He actually smiled, “However a real little man is still better than a fake gentleman. A little man would still say honest words.”

Mei Changhua suddenly bitterly smiled and said, “Then the one at the most disadvantage are people like me.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Why?”

Mei Changhua said, “I am not a gentleman nor a little man. Although don’t want to be first, I didn’t want to be last.”

He slowly step forward, eye fixated at Xie Xiaofeng, “This time whose sword would you borrow?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Yours.”

To some people, a sword is simply a sword. It is something forged out of steel. It is something that could be used for protection. It could also be used to kill. However, to some other people, a sword is something completely different. It is something they devote their entire life to. For them, life and sword are merged into one.

It is because only a sword could bring them fame, fortune, and glory. Also only a sword could give them humiliation and death.

If the sword is here the owner would also be here. If the sword perished, the owner would also perish. To these people, a sword is not simply a sword. They are their most trusted companions. The body of a sword, has its life, has its spirit. It could be said they would rather lose their wives than their sword. This is not an overstatement; this is also not too extreme.

Wu Tao was this type of people. He believed that under any circumstance, losing his own sword was an unforgivable sin. It was also shame you can wash away. Therefore, after he lost his sword, he did not have the face28 to stay here any longer. Mei Changhua was also this type of people.

Having Wu Tao as a prior example, he was especially guarded toward his own sword.

Right now, Xie Xiaofeng made it clear that he wanted to borrow his sword in front of him.

Mei Changhua laughed, laughed loudly. His hand was gripping tightly onto the sword hilt. The veins on his arm were already popping out. No one would be able to pry this sword off his hand, unless they take the hand with it.

He seemed confident on himself but he underestimated Xie Xiaofeng.

At the point where he begun to laugh, Xie Xiaofeng had already made his move.

No one could describe the speed of his move; and no one could describe this move's brilliance and change in variation. However his target was not Mei Changhua's sword, it was his eyes.

Mei Changhua dodged and retreated; turned over his hand drew out his sword. Drawing your sword out is a very important sword skill. Huashan disciple would never overlook this aspect.

Mei Changhua had a very quick sword draw. His movement was fast and with a flash of a sword he was already under Xie Xiaofeng's left rib.

No one would imagine that in an instant, his elbow was easily lifted. His entire body lost its center of gravity, and his body was moving like he was riding on cloud and mist.28

By the way he was able to regain his balance, his sword was already in Xie Xiaofeng's hand.

This was not a miracle nor was it magic. This was the Xie family's Third Young Master's unique skill "Stealing Sky Exchanging the Day30 Sword Seizing Form".

On first glance, what he did not look complicated. However when he was utilizing this skill, he had never fail once.

Mei Changhua's smile froze. On his face, there was a peculiar and furtive expression.

All of a sudden, there was a dragon roar31 that seems as if it came from beyond the sky. A sword light flashed and spiraled in mid-air; suddenly, like lightning, it struck down from above. That was the Kunlun's world famous "Feilong Jiushi" (Flying Dragon Nine Stances); sword like a divine dragon, and man like a hidden cloud. No sword skill from any school or any sect could compare to the force of this sword strike.

Unfortunately, his opponent was Xie Xiaofeng.

Xie Xiaofeng's sword was like a gust of wind. No matter how powerful the force was, it would dissipate within the wind.

Once the power from this sword faded away, he could feel a wind blowing onto his body.

Although the wind was light, its coldness chilled down to the bone. It seemed as if it was freezing the blood flow on his whole body. His body fell down heavily from mid-air onto the ground.

The wind stopped.

The breathing also seemed to have stopped too. Not knowing how long had passed; Ouyang Yunhe finally took a long sigh and said, "That truly is a sword-play that’s unparalleled in the world."

Li Zhenzhen coldly followed, "Unfortunately the execution was improper. A person of Xie Third Young Master's caliber shouldn't win like that."

Jian Chuanxue suddenly said, "He was injured. Battling against seven experts, one has to strive for a speedy battle and divisive end while using any method to secure a win."

Li Zhenzhen asked, "You also understand swordplay?"

Jian Chuanxue said, "I don't know anything about sword, but I do understand this principle."

He suddenly sighed and slowly continued, "Actually he doesn't really need to win. Unfortunately he is Xie Xiaofeng, as long as he lives he is only allow to win and must not lose! He must not sully and ruin the reputation of Shenjian Sanzhuang (Divine Sword Manor)."

Li Zhenzhen suddenly laughed and said, "Reasonable. Your words sound reasonable. The Xie Third Young Master mustn't lose."

Jian Chuanxue said, "If he doesn't lose then you'll lose. Why are you so happy?"

Li Zhenzhen said, "You don't understand?"

Jian Chuanxue said, "I don't understand."

Li Zhenzhen sweetly said, "Hard to believe there is something in the world that you don't understand."

The expression on her face was like the rainy season’s month's weather; you couldn't tell whether it would be sunny or cloudy. Revealing a smiling, she lifted her head, "Since you don't understand, why should I tell you?"

Li Pingzi suddenly yelled, "I'll tell you!"

Li Zhenzhen's expression on her face changed, she cut in, "The words you all said, did it not count?"

Li Pingzi said, "What did we say? I'd already forgotten."

Ouyang Yunhe said, "I did not forget."

His attitude seemed stern and serious, "We made a promise to her. Before victory is determined, we would not reveal its secret."

Li Zhenzhen relaxed and said, "Luckily you are a gentleman that keeps his promise."

Li Pingzi scoffed, "He is a gentleman. He wanted to keep his promise. That is his business. I am just a little man. The words of a little man are nothing more than fangpi32 (utter rubbish)."

His hand was already tightly gripping onto the sword hilt, "If I needed to fangpi (speak rubbish), no one could stop me."

Xie Xiaofeng altered his sight, smiled, and said, "Fangpi (farting) is an critical part of human life. I guarantee you no one would stop you."

Li Pingzi said, "Very good then."

His sole eye flickered and then said, "She was the reason we came here to gamble with you using sword."

Xie Xiaofeng said, "I'd already thought of that."

Li Pingzi said, "But what you didn't know is that she has a separate bet with each of us."33

Xie Xiaofeng asked, "What's the bet?"

Li Pingzi said, "She bet that every single one of us would not be able to withstand three moves from you."

Xie Xiaofeng said, "So if she lose against me, she'll win against all of you."

Li Pingzi said, "She'll only lose to just you but will beat the six of us. Her winnings are still greater than her lost."

Li Zhenzhen laughed again and sweetly said, "You people should've known. I would never commit myself to be at a disadvantage."

Xie Xiaofeng said, "What is she gambling for with all of you?"

Li Pingzi said, "Do you know Tianzun34 (Divine Supreme)?"

Xie Xiaofeng bitterly smiled and said, "I know."

(to be continued...)

-----[Footnotes]------
    27. xiaoren, literally means a “little man” usually refers to someone with a bad character.
    28. Face here is this Chinese ideal that represents pride, honor, and/or reputation.
    29. Tengyunjiawu (腾云驾雾) Chinese expression to describe someone in a trance. (?) I guess him being off balance messed up his thoughts.
    30. Toutianhuanri (偷天换日) Chinese expression to describe an underhand attempt.
    31. dragon roar (龙吟) is just a really loud noise.
    32. Fangpi (放屁), lit. means farting, but also means talking nonsense/rubbish. I kept it untranslated because it hard to keep the flow of the dialogue since no English word has this dual meaning.
    33. Bet and gamble is the same word in Chinese so all the previous text that mention gamble could also mean “bet”. I should mention this earlier.
    34. Tianzun (天尊), lit. tian means sky/heaven/divine, jun means ultimate/supreme. Tianzun could also mean God. Tianzun in this story is an organization.
    Last edited by kaister; 06-13-14 at 08:16 PM. Reason: fixed spelling

Thanks kaister

Should be Tianzun, not Tianjun. Keep it up!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Should be Tianzun, not Tianjun. Keep it up!
    Oh wow, thanks. Been spelling it wrong all along.

I'm wondering would you'd prefer to call it "Tianzun" or translate it? "Divine Supreme", perhaps? Dunno. I kept it in pinyin because I couldn't settle on English word for it. Just want to know how you'll handle this.

Quote Originally Posted by kaister View Post

I'm wondering would you'd prefer to call it "Tianzun" or translate it? "Divine Supreme", perhaps? Dunno. I kept it in pinyin because I couldn't settle on English word for it. Just want to know how you'll handle this.
    I think Tianzun is translated into "Heaven's Sovereign" in the previous Chapter (I think 24 or 25).
    Thanks kaister !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaister View Post

I previously translated it as Heaven's Sovereign. The phrase Tianzun, of course, originates from the three ultimate gods in the Daoist pantheon; Yuanshi Tianzun, Lingbao Tianzun, and Daode Tianzun. No other deities have the title of Tianzun. Since these three are the ultimate gods/rulers in the Daoist pantheon, and since the characters that make up Tianzun literally mean 'Heaven Honored', I settled on Heaven's Sovereign.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Big thanks. kaister. This is one of my fav stories. Keep up the tranlsation. Want to know what she wins by losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    I previously translated it as Heaven's Sovereign. The phrase Tianzun, of course, originates from the three ultimate gods in the Daoist pantheon; Yuanshi Tianzun, Lingbao Tianzun, and Daode Tianzun. No other deities have the title of Tianzun. Since these three are the ultimate gods/rulers in the Daoist pantheon, and since the characters that make up Tianzun literally mean 'Heaven Honored', I settled on Heaven's Sovereign.
    Ah yes, got it.

Though, I'm getting more and more fond of simply leaving it as "Tianzun". I don't like long winding name being left in pinyin. Short name though, like 2-3 syllables, I might. I did a google search on the term "Tianzun" and did find some hits on it which is another encouragement. I think Tianzun adds a bit cultural flavor to it as oppose to anything I translate to English..hope this makes sense. Regardless, I always annotate whatever is being left in pinyin, including names. These are all excellent info.

Default ch. 40 (2/2)

2nd half of chapter 40.

#####

Xie Xiaofeng bitterly smiled and said, "I know."

Li Pingzi said, "Lately Tianzun's power had grown tremendously. The seven major sword schools cannot stand idly aside. The older generations are already in biguan (seclusion) and not coming out. We, the younger generation's disciples, had decided to gather at Mount Tai35 to form the Seven Schools Alliance."

Xie Xiaofeng said, "This is a good idea."

Li Pingzi said, "On that day, obviously we have to appoint a leader of the alliance."

Xie Xiaofeng said, "If all of you lose to her, then she would be appointed as the alliance leader?"

Li Pingzi said, "That's exactly right."

Li Zhenzhen gently said, "Even if all of you appoint me to be the alliance leader, what is wrong with this?"

Li Pingzi said, "There is only one thing wrong."

Li Zhenzhen said, "Which one?"

Li Pingzi said, "You are too smart. If we appointed you as the alliance leader, I'm afraid the alliance on Mount Tai would be a second Tianzun."

Li Zhenzhen said, "Right now Kunlun, Huashan, Kongtong, and Diancang had already, in an instance, lost badly to the sword of the Third Young Master. Are you confident that you can withstand three of his moves?"

Li Pingzi said, "I do not."

He bitterly smiled and continued, "It is because I'm not confident that I had already decided to count the bet as fangpi (uttering nonsense).”

Li Zhenzhen sighed and said, "Actually I already know you’re a little man that would not keep his promise. Fortunately, this is not the same for everyone else."

Ouyang Yunhe said, "I am also."

Li Zhenzhen was really taken by surprised, lost her voice and said, "You? You are also the same as him?"

Ouyang Yunhu's expression seemed extra serious. He said, "I have to be like this. Jianghu cannot have another Tianzun."

He slowly walked over next to Li Pingzi's side.

Li Pingzi laughed heartily, patted on his shoulder, and said, “Although you are no longer considered a real gentleman, you are most certainly a real man.”

Ouyang Yunhu sighed and rambled, “Or perhaps I was never a true gentleman.”

After saying these words, he made his move; an elbow fist struck on Li Pingzi’s right rib.

When there was the noise of ribs breaking, the sharp sword already came out of the sheath.

With the flicker of sword light, bloods were flying everywhere. Li Pingzi’s lone eye seemed to be popping out, glaring at Ouyang Yunhe. Until now, he finally realized Ouyang Yunhe and Li Zhenzhen were on the same side. Till now, he finally knew who was the real little man.

But it was too late now.

The sword blade was still dripping blood.

Qin Duxiu, Mei Changhua, Tian Zailong faces were all white.

Ouyang Yunhe coldly stared at them and warmly said, “What I, Ouyang Yunhe, hates the most in my life, are these petty men that couldn’t keep their promises. Hated them so much I would kill each and every one of them with my own blade. If anyone believes I had killed wrongly, I wouldn’t mind dying to absolve my guilt.”

Li Zhenzhen gently said, “They all know you character, and would never think that way.”

Ouyang Yunhe said, “A victory is a victory. A defeat is a defeat. Every one is a gentleman here, and would never go back on his words.”

Tian Zailong suddenly shouted, “I am no gentleman. Right now, I wanted to vomit if I hear this word.”

Ouyang Yunhe had a serious face and said, “Then Tian-shixiong (older martial art brother) meant…”

Tian Zailong, “I don’t have any other meaning. I just wanted to say that I no longer have any intention of going to Mount Tai. Whoever all of you want to appoint as the alliance leader, it’s not my business.”

Qin Duxiu said, “If you are not going, then I also would not go.”

Me Changhua said, “I would definitely not go.”

Tian Zailong spiritedly said, “Great, let’s go then. Who could stop us!”

The three of them took a giant step on shoulder by shoulder. Tian Zailong was in the middle; Mei Changhua and Qin Duxiu were on the left and right. Suddenly they sandwiched the middle. By the time they separated, Tian Zailong's left and right side were leaking out fresh blood. He struggled and wanted to draw out his sword.

The sword was still in the sheath; he had already collapsed.

“You are all vicious!”

These were his last four words; his last statement.

It was silent; silent for a long while.

Every one was looking at Xie Xiaofeng. Every one was waiting for his reaction.

Xie Xiaofeng was looking at the sword in his hand, the sword that was originally Mei Changhua’s.

Mei Changhua suddenly said, “This is a good sword?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “It is a good sword.”

Mei Changhua said, “This sword was passed down generation from generation in Huashan. In the past three hundreds of years, it was never fallen in the hands of an outsider.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I believe that.”

Mei Changhua said, “If you believe I was wrong in killing Tian Zailong, why not kill me with that sword? I’ll die with no regret.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “He indeed deserve to die. I deserve it even more, because we misjudge the person.”

His hand was lightly stroking on the sword’s edge. He slowly raised his head, “Right now Diancang’s Wu Tao had already left in defeat. Hainan’s Li Pingzi had been killed. Tian Zailong’s death means Kunlun is already in all your control. The gathering in Mount Tai already belong to all of you.”

Ouyang Yunhe spoke in a serious tone, “This result is what we had originally planned out.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “You all must’ve known I am a person nearing death.”

Ouyang Yunhe said, “We definitely already know you could only live for three more days.”

Li Zhenzhen sighed and said, “News in Jianghu typically travels fast. Not to mention, especially news regarding you.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “You people could also see that once I made my move, the wounds already ruptured.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “Even if we cannot see it, we could imagine it.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “So all of you must be thinking, a person like me should not get involve in other people’s business.”

Ouyang Yunhe said, “But we still respect you. No matter whether you’re alive or dead, you can still preserved the honor of Divine Sword Manor’s reputation.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “At least we admitted defeat. We’re defeated under your hand.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I know. This I am thankful for. However, all of you seem to have forgotten one thing.”

Li Zhenzhen asked, “Which one?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “With me here, Tian Zailong and Li Pingzi didn’t have to die.”

Li Zhenzhen asked, “Because you believe you should have saved them?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “That’s right.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “So even though you did not kill them personally, they had died because of you?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Yes.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “So you wanted to avenge them?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Can’t say it is to avenge them. Think of it as a way to putting myself at ease.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “I understand what you mean. Since you have to die regardless, even if you die under our hand it will at least put you at rest and die with no regrets.”

She softly sighed and slowly continued, “Unfortunately you still have a lot you do not know.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Oh?”

Li Zhenzhen, “You only see the top layer of the current situation and had already came to a conclusion. The details within, you didn’t even seem to care or wanted to ask anything about it.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “What should I be asking?”

Li Zhenzhen, “You should at least ask this one question: ‘What is the reason Li Pingzi and Tian Zailong deserve to die?’ ”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “They deserved to die?”

Li Zhenzhen said, “Of course they deserved it!”

Ouyang Yunhe said, “Absolutely deserved it!”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Why?”

Li Zhenzhen said, “Because if they did not die, our seven school alliance can not be established.”

Ouyang Yunhe said, “Because if they did not die, there would be more people that’ll die.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “Li Pingzhi was thoughtless and unruly. He was supposed to be a character that could not accomplish anything and liable to spoil everything.36

Ouyang Yunhe said, “If we wanted to accomplish great task, we had to sacrifice these type of people.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “I felt bad about his death, but Tian Zailong…”

Ouyang Yunhe said, “Even if Tian Zailong died ten times over, it wouldn’t have absolve his guilt.”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Why?”

Li Zhenzhen said, “Because he was a jianxi (spy/traitor)!”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “Jianxi (spy/traitor)?”

Li Zhenzhen laughed.

She was laughing, but was more solemn than when she was laughing, “Do you know what a jianxi (spy/traitor) means? Jianxi (spy/traitor) is someone that will sell people out.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Who did he sold out?”

Li Zhenzhen said, “He sold us out, and he sold out himself.”

Xie Xiaofeng asked, “Who was the buyer?”

Li Zhenzhen said, “It’s Tianzun. Of course, it’s Tianzun.”

Li Zhenzhen said, “You should’ve known. Beside Tianzun, who could’ve bought out a person like Tian Zailong.”

Xie Xiaofeng questioned, “Do you have any proof?”

Li Zhenzhen asked back, “You wanted to see the proof?”

Xie Xiaofeng said, “I do.”

She suddenly turned around and stuck out her finger.

Her finger was small and delicate. However, right now it looked like a sword, a pin.

She actually pointed at Jian Chuanxue.

“This person is the proof.”

Jian Chuanxue remained clam. His expression on his face, however, seemed to have changed.

Li Zhenzhen said, “You are the third young master of the Xie family. You are the most powerful swordsman of the world. You are definitely not a fool.”

Xie Xiaofeng definitely would not admit he was a fool, nor could he.

Li Zhenzhen asked, “Have you thought to yourself, how did we know you only have three days to live?”

Xie Xiaofeng did not need to.

— It was a matter of time before people find out about this matter. Everyone would know.

— However, the number people that did know about this was small.

— Who would’ve known about this matter the most?

— Who would’ve known where Xie Xiaofeng would be at in these two days?

Xie Xiaofeng laughed.

(End of Chapter 40)

-----[Footnotes]------
    35. Taishan (泰山), Mount Tai, a historical and cultural mountain located a Tai’an in Shandong.
    36. The phrase “chengshibuzu, baishiyouyu”, lit. means “successes not enough, failures plenty”.

I have been reviewing the earlier chapters, specifically ch. 1-7. I will start posting these chapters in the unabridged thread this weekend, about 1 every couple of days.

It took me two chapters to realizing I've been spending too much time on it. By the 3rd chapter, I simply copied xJadedx translation and review it line by line and making changes only if it make sense.

Starting ch. 4, I straight up compare the text to the book. I'll take one more look at the first three chapters before posting these up.

Starting from ch. 7, I'll need to spend more effort on the these chapters. I'm trying to keep the translation true to the original Chinese text. This is true for ch. 7-17 and from what I see ch 35-38.

I'm working on ch. 7 right now. After ch. 7, I'll finish translating the final three chapters before working on re-translating ch 8.

Just a question: in shaw bro's movie adaptation, they have this mentally unsound swordman (played by David Chiang) who was also a brilliant swordsman. Is he a character in the novel too?

[sorry, didn't read this novel yet, waiting patiently for the completion before starting, or at least until the unabridged version gets further down the road]